Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
I set ours up outside much more interesting 😉

I suppose that would give a bald headed very senior citizen the locals a 😆 Still perhaps cheer them up in the current situation 🚴🏻‍♂️🚵‍♀️👨🏻‍🦳👨🏻‍🦳👨🏻‍🦳

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Today I went from Longford up the A38 to Coombe Hill, right there towards Cheltenham but turned left at the Old Spot pub towards Stoke Orchard. Just before Stoke Orchard I turned left up a little lane that took me back to the A38 a few hundred yards past Coombe Hill. Turned left onto the A38 towards Coombe hill where I turned left back towards Cheltenham again, then went right to Boddington, stopped at the church for little while, had a drink then looped through Barrow before heading on to Staverton. Turned toward Gloucester past Dowty Rotol, or whatever it's called these days, turned right down Down Hatherly lane to the A38 again, turned left and back to Longford.

20 miles and very enjoyable. Lots more traffic today compared to my rides on Monday and Wednesday this week.

footloose crow

Über Member
3 April. A short ride

A short ride in very few words. No point in having more words than miles. Weather better, corona worse, legs hurting from working out with Joe Wicks on our deck (us, he wasn't there, just a video). Since retiring I have slowed down a lot but the corona calm has made it worse. After spending an hour watching the birds whilst sitting on the shed roof, hammer in hand but nails left on the ground, I remembered that

I was supposed to be mending it. Then I fell off it, thinking as the ground approached that a hospital was a bad place to be right now, I decided a bike ride would be safer and may shake off the corona torpor. Just a bruised elbow in case you were worried - I landed on my head so I was fine.

Twice vans came to a gravel burning halt as we met in narrow lanes. Going too fast. Many people out walking but only saw two bikes. I thought I would be better at hills after all this practice. I wonder what it would be like to cycle on the flat for more than 500 metres. I had no route in mind and just went down lanes that looked interesting. Mainly they went uphill.

I am thinking about a long ride next week. Not sure about the morality of it after Hancock's Half Hour this evening ("I know its lovely weather but don't go out"). Madame Crow thinks it would be safer than DIY though.

New disc pads arrived today. I have watched You Tube. I think I know what to do with them. As no bike shops are open in Cornwall, this may be the last ride I ever do.......

Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 21.20.03.png

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's ride was a shopping trip to Sainsburys for a few essentials such as food for work for the weekend and to collect some hair clippers from the instore Argos (my previous ones gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago). I just did the usual anti-clockwise back road Falkenham, Newbourne, Waldringfield and Westerfield route into Ipswich, stopping to pick the bits up at around 25 miles and then home via Bucklesham to complete this month's 50km challenge.
Don't know if it was the grey & cool weather or that I was riding on some more remote roads, but there were definately less walkers & cyclists around today.
Screenshot_2020-04-03 April #39;s 50km Boris ride.png

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A nice solitary 15 miler here today out on the fen.

Burwell Fen. A slow re-wildiing of a part of the Cambridgeshire Fens. And a brief glimpse of sunshine too.
bullfinch, marsh harriers and buzzards all doing their stuff.

Slighty gloomier and cold on the way home, it should hit 70 degrees by Sunday - can’t wait for that.

Stopped at a pool on the fen. Chiff chaffs singing alway- the cuckoos should be back here within a week or so.

home in time for a half decent sunset.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
An early ride for me in the hope of the roads being as empty as possible: Just a quick spin anti-clockwise round the Acton Burnell loop.

There were only 3 people out walking in the first mile then I found the A49 quietish, but probably no more so than it usually is at 7.30 on a Saturday morning.

Away from this trunk road though it was properly quiet with just the odd motor vehicle around. I saw only two cyclists (one of those was about half a mile away on an adjoining road) plus two runners and had about 7 miles in the middle of the ride entirely to myself.^_^ Pretty sure I've complied with the social distancing requirements there.;)

17.1 miles at 14.3 mph average.

No photos this time. I did see a scene that would have made a good picture; a pheasant on a gate with a nice background, but I doubt the bird would have stayed still if I'd stopped.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Another short but pleasant early morning ride. Cycled up a near deserted A6 then picked up the tiny roads. Timed it right to hit the bakers just as they were opening and persuaded a larger than anticipated loaf into my Carradice.

gavgav

Guru
Out for some exercise, same route as Tuesday evening and I think this will become my regular lockdown trip.

Out towards Betton, then onto the lane to Berrington and Eaton Mascott. 3 ladies on horses and 4 walkers, all negotiated fine, with social distancing, but it was very hard work into the strong southerly wind.

Turned towards Pitchford, passed by a couple of cars, the only ones I saw outside of Shrewsbury, before turning back towards town and the joy of the wind now being behind me. Sailed along at a good speed through Cantlop and back to Betton, then home.

Lots of cyclists about, enjoying their bit of freedom.

12.3 miles at 12.2mph avg speed, missed the hour target by 36 seconds!! Ah well, better than the 57 seconds on Tuesday.

13 rider

Guru
Up early to do the weekly food shop to beat the queues saw me ready to ride at 10.00 .I did have a target today which was 50km to keep in the monthly challenge still wrestling with my head wether to complete the century challenges heart says yes mind says maybe not .Shorts were donned for the first time this year . Through the village and the road to Cropston had loads of cyclists all spread out , quite a few wide overtakes on my part until I turned right and lost most of the other riders .Overnight I seem to have had a leg transplant because despite upping the mileage of my commute I was flying :bicycle:. Cropston ,Rothley and Cossington 6.7 miles and I'm averaging 20.1 mph :becool:. Sileby ,Seagrave and up Berrycott lane a nice steady climb which I started to have an effort at but being a single track lane a couple of cars and slowing to pass a horse rider put paid to any chance if a Strava pr :sad:. Down narrow lane to Wymeswold and at 16 miles Im still over 19 mph . Turned into what wind there was and at the hour mark I'd done 19.4 miles a record for me ^_^ . Barrow , Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and home ,31.4 miles at exactly 18 mph a quick ride for me :rolleyes: . Absolutely loads of riders out all keeping their distance really nice to see loads of family's with youngsters out enjoying the quite roads. Managed to get round without anyone overtaking me so it was about 30 nil to me :becool:
Stay safe everyone

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
This week should have been our annual Wednesday evening hill-climb, 20% up Chineway to a meal at the Hare & Hounds. So we've been doing the climb individually over the last few days. 44km in total. A double circuit via Ottery then via Northleigh and Colyton.

Top of Chineway.

The Umborne valley.

13 rider

Guru
This week should have been our annual Wednesday evening hill-climb, 20% up Chineway to a meal at the Hare & Hounds. So we've been doing the climb individually over the last few days. 44km in total. A double circuit via Ottery then via Northleigh and Colyton.

View attachment 512538
Top of Chineway.

View attachment 512539
The Umborne valley.
I think your hill climb bike could possible be made a bit lighter :okay:

I had to get more chicken today, so I went for a ride whilst I was about it.

it was eerily quiet out in Southampton water today ( good ).

Blue sky and very blue water ( apparently this is because the sediment isn’t being stirred up) it’s a weird sight, as that bit of Southampton water usually resembles a sewer.

these pair of idiots were clearly not observing social distancing. I had a word, they weren’t listening.

Top Bottom