Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
An early out this morning because things to do later, by which I mean now. That can wait for a bit though. ( looks nervously about:unsure:)
Cold enough for a jacket and a neck warmer but once the shorts are out they stay around for the rest of the summer and autumn.
Down into town and around the Playhouse and bus station on quiet, but surprisingly not deserted roads. Given that it was just after 6.30 am I expected in these locked down times to be completely alone. Even so not exactly crowd central. Along The Calls and around City Square and up Wellington Street heading for Kirkstall.
Kirkstall Road actually kept faith with the current times being empty of people and traffic. A very rare thing. I stayed on the route past Yorkshire TV , past the cinema complex, past Woodrupp's Cycles, past Kirkstall Junction and Kirkstall Abbey and made in the direction of Ilkley, this being the main A65. The intention was to GO to Ilkley but recalling why I was out early I did an abrupt about turn just before Low Road Side and instead made for Horsforth and uphill to Cookridge.
A simple matter from there to take in Bramhope, King Lane, Moortown and back home across the park.
No pics.

21.8 miles and 1280 ft of climbing

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46671624

13 rider

Guru
A shorter ride today so an hour or so means let's do some hills !. Off at 1030 into glorious :sun:full summer gear today the cyclechat Jersey got an outing . Into Newtown Linford which was slightly busy than last week but still very quite which is good to see . Up Sharpley hill and retraced last week route to the bottom of Beacon hill but turned off Beacon hill to do Dean's lane which runs parallel to Beacon hill but is much quieter and has less gradient changes so just find a rhythm and spin up it . Hadn't done this for a while and took 30 secs of my Strava Pr without really trying which was a nice surprise . Turned for Shepshed to start the long climb towards Coalville ,I had never done the entire road about 3 miles in total gaining over 500ft it has a couple of drops in it so not a continuous climb a few Ramps at 10% makes it a good test .A short descent over the top then a steady drag up to Copt Oak . From here a reward for all the climbing is some nice descending down Whitcroft lane and Polly Botts back to Newtown and home . 21 miles at 15.4 mph took me a bit more than the hour mainly due to the 2100ft of upness and the biggest climb being directly into a headwind . Would have loved to have stayed out but feel with 2 hours yesterday I've been out enough

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Lovely warm day today for a chill out ride after a bonkers 6 days at work. Out on the Tricross just after midday, 26 miles with an average of 14.4 mph.

The weather was nice today so I got a ride in.

There were far too many large groups of Lycra idiot cyclists out today, at the risk of sounding like ‘that shouty mad man’ I did let them know what my thoughts were, as I encountered them. There were a lot more motorists out today. Lots of cars with 4 people in them, parked up by the scenic bits as well. I may not agree with the severity of the lockdown, but these idiots are doing their best to make sure it continues:cursing:. Anyway, a nice day for the ride I’m permitted to do each day, with a nice bit of irony from an idiot on a motorcycle. He passed very close, as I was on a road, with a cycle path near it ( full of dog walkers and joggers ) and started gesticulating at me and the cycle path. He got stopped at the lights at the next junction so I queried why he was even out, given he was not shopping for essentials, there wouldn’t have been any medical appointments today, he wasn’t exercising, and no garages were open for essential repairs. Oddly, he didn’t have an answer:laugh:.

Last edited:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I really think it has taken something as serious as the Corona Virus to get me on a bike again. Last year was more or less a write off with nothing more than the odd loop put in. Apathy, other hobbies and demands on my time and chronic back pain put paid to most forms of exercise.
Weight was put on. Not huge amounts but enough to notice. Something else I couldn't help but notice was the sound of my heart racing at the top of stairs etc. My last actual ride was on Christmas Day and I was knowing it.
Forward to the World crisis going on now and I was worried if my fat carcas could take a dose of the Corona? Probably, I always have had a robust immune system but why take the risk? We are taking the social distancing thing as seriously as we can co I emptied the shed and found the rollers! Three days on and one rest day. Today is an outdoor session:

I even found the heart monitor strap today. My previous system of only going as hard as I could whilst still being able to hold a conversation is just about spot on!

Today is five lots of 2 mins at plus 110rpm and 1 min recovery at 85rpm. I'll do that three times as the weather is nice. Day three I either do a ten mile TT or, How far can you go in 30mins? I am recording every session on paper!

The string hanging from the bars is personal motivation in physical form! I'm hoping it gets steadily shorter!

Stay safe everyone.

Mike_P

Guru
Decided to give the ebike an outing today; since the lockdown its commute and light top-up shopping trips have not taken place, and having immediately prior to the lockdown fully charged its battery there was plainly to need to make use of it.
Slight panic yesterday when the battery seemed dead but then I realised it has a hibernation mode, something that tricked me when I got it as I presumed mistakenly it was uncharged. By the time I had fitted the ebike with a GoPro mount what had seemed a very light wind had noticeably changed and using the ebike seemed quite sensible.
So a pair of Mountain Bike shorts on and set forth on a mission of lets run this battery down a bit by heading to Killinghall the long hilly way by the A61

and then followed the World Championships route from Ripley up the lengthy Whipley Bank

down the Clint Bank to Birstwith, safely passing the location Attila Valter in the Mens Under 23 time trial did not

and up the, 14% according to the sign post, Elton Lane

Turned off at the top to head south down grade for the climb of Swincliffe Lane to Swincliffe Top. At the foot of the climb a cyclist on a road bike joined a distance in front and as much as I tried not to overtake I ended up doing so apologising from 2m+ distant.

Its still a nasty climb on an ebike, even on maximum assist I dropped down to the last but one of the largest cogs. Once at Swincliffe Top all roads go down, so down to Hampsthwaite, then up Hollins Lane and Burley Bank into a significant head wind with the consequential nudging of the power button to one up from the minimum assist that I was using on levelish sections. Onto Penny Pot and then home via the down and up Oaker Banks in 61 minutes.
Good job I looked the time taken as after yesterdays issue with the Wahoo the ebikes app has joined in and is refusing to upload the ride. There has been an update since I last used it:angry: The Wahoo app incidentally had updated two days ago so others with Wahoos may have an issue uploading to Strava.
Plotted todays in Strava as 14.3 miles @ 14.1mph avg, 1374ft of elevation gain.

Last edited:
I really think it has taken something as serious as the Corona Virus to get me on a bike again. Last year was more or less a write off with nothing more than the odd loop put in. Apathy, other hobbies and demands on my time and chronic back pain put paid to most forms of exercise.
Weight was put on. Not huge amounts but enough to notice. Something else I couldn't help but notice was the sound of my heart racing at the top of stairs etc. My last actual ride was on Christmas Day and I was knowing it.
Forward to the World crisis going on now and I was worried if my fat carcas could take a dose of the Corona? Probably, I always have had a robust immune system but why take the risk? We are taking the social distancing thing as seriously as we can co I emptied the shed and found the rollers! Three days on and one rest day. Today is an outdoor session:

View attachment 512753

I even found the heart monitor strap today. My previous system of only going as hard as I could whilst still being able to hold a conversation is just about spot on!

Today is five lots of 2 mins at plus 110rpm and 1 min recovery at 85rpm. I'll do that three times as the weather is nice. Day three I either do a ten mile TT or, How far can you go in 30mins? I am recording every session on paper!

The string hanging from the bars is personal motivation in physical form! I'm hoping it gets steadily shorter!

Stay safe everyone.
Nice rollers those. You can use them like you have there, or as a free rolling set up:okay:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'd intended to stay off the bike today but with such nice weather out it seemed like a good time to get the Raleigh out for the first time this year and to fit the Brooks C15 Cambium I bought just over a month ago (Ghyllside Cycles had an offer I couldn't refuse).

A test ride was obviously called for so I've done all of 4.3 miles round the village to try it out. I expect that some fine tuning will be needed but first impressions are good, particularly once I'd angled it to be similar to the B17N it's replacing.

I've missed this bike and am looking forward to racking up some miles on it now.^_^

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My fifth local exercise ride in five days. After a day of fence painting, I left it late to head out into the wind tonight at about 5.15 and had the roads pretty much to myself. Half of my ride was rural (out to Brookthorpe via Hardwicke and Haresfield then down the Stroud Road) and the remainder was a re-run of parts of yesterday's ride through the housing estates. Only got overtaken by 6 cars in all tonight, over 17.6 miles of beautiful solitary riding. In the middle of the ride there was a 10 mile stretch where nothing at all overtook me, and I was completely on my own. By doing a loop, the wind wasn't too much of an issue, as it came at me from all angles for an equal amount of time.

If, by any chance, the rules on exercising change soon and that turns out to be my last hurrah, then it was a nice one to go out with.
Stay safe. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I thought I’d take advantage of Sunday morning and lockdown conditions to venture into town.

Down into Yealmpton and along to Plympton on the lanes. I cut through Saltram. There were wood anemone flowering.
To the Barbican and Hoe via Prince Rock. I came out of town along Exeter Street. Back to Newton Ferrers via Jennycliff, Spriddlestone and Puslinch .

Unmade roads for new housing estates all the way back to Elizabethan houses!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3257736776

No pictures but I shared turns into a brutal headwind for 14 miles with one of the wiggle pro team, keeping a safe distance of course but sharing the odd comment about the wind and not stalking each other 🤪

in fact I did change my route because I was planning the same ascent and didn’t wont to appear weird.

then bumped into two friends at the summit, lovely day but super windy

figbat

Slippery scientist
Went for longer-than-usual MTB ride today. Went out into the wind, which was hard but it meant it was on my back for the return. I’m afraid to say that I took advantage and chased a KOM that has eluded me for years - and got it. The usurped holder is a friend of mine and has held it for 4 years. That doubles my KOM count.

I also passed by the sad sight of this year’s CAMRA pub of the year all shut up.
DDF87C4B-321C-4954-BBE3-8DD9716D4A53.jpeg

I hope they survive.

C R

Guru
Another evening circuit, more or less the same route as yesterday, but with a detour to buy some eggs from the farm between Littleworth and Hatfield. Shorts and short sleeves, as it was proper warm. The headwind on the way out required some extra effort. The M5 was pretty much empty. Under normal circumstances it would have been chock-a-block with traffic today, at least it means people did not drive to Weston to enjoy the sunshine.

A tad slower than yesterday because of the wind.

IMG_20200405_195224.jpg

Top Bottom