Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My sixth consecutive day with an exercise ride, today. Out for exactly an hour, finishing on 13.4 miles. A pleasant spin out to Saul via Longney, then back home the slightly longer way via Elmore. Beautiful spring weather. More cyclists than cars out there in the lanes tonight, but all very well spaced and behaving themselves. Nice.
Stay safe. Donger

All uphill

Still rolling along
Sticking to our self-imposed 1 hour exercise quota we headed out to Halse, NW of Taunton, where I took this picture. Thought you might enjoy a change from my recent hilltop vistas.

20200406_124332.jpg

Very few cars and lorries, but we were happy to see lots of what looked like family groups out walking and riding their bikes.

Mike_P

Guru
A days captivity called “working at home” over out on the Defy and quickly annoyed by some clown in their car hitting the horn for no apparent reason other than either it was Coronorage or my presence on the road meant them having to slow to somewhere closer to the speed limit. Also had an exceptionally large parcel in it which hardly looked like any “essential shopping”:cursing: Current normal route to Hampsthwaite from where I meant to take a different route but entered auto pilot mode and found myself heading up the climb to Clapham Green again:blush:
Further on is this walled lane, I have never met a vehicle going the other way but it was a close thing today as a van turned in at the far end just as I exited:okay:

The headwind was something today and I plodded on slower than last Tuesday when the Defy had gear shifter problems, so rather than repeating that route I turned along the eastern side of Menwith Hill for a short dash on the A59. Did ponder staying on the A59 but it was reasonably busy with its Trans Pennine freight traffic if not cars. This bit of the A59 is a clear place for wind turbine fans; the two blade one is at the, presumably closed, restaurant on the north side of the A59. The other eight form Knabbs Ridge wind farm, one is largely hiding behind a tree.

A tailwind at last found on Penny Pot so hit 34.9mph but the cross wind on the Oaker Banks meant the ascent still had to be pedalled towards the top. No post ride tech issues today. 14.42 miles @ 12.6mph avg and 974ft climbed

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
An early ride today. Down to Bridgend and the river was looking lovely.

Around the coast road, across the A379 and along through the lanes. I came round a corner to find an aggregate lorry with its bed in the air. I couldn’t get through, so I retreated to a nearby gateway. One by I set off again...

The hedges are looking good. Hart’s tongue ferns unfurling

https://www.strava.com/activities/3265323158

All uphill

Still rolling along
Just in case you think it's all fun cycling in Somerset:

20200407_133932.jpg

20200407_134752.jpg

We have some pretty good potholes here and I found a deep one! I will need my truing stand to sort things out after this.

Still it is dry and sunny, and I had a banana, so all is good.

Gunk

Guru
My son and I had a really nice ride out this afternoon, 16 miles, so bit shorter than our usual route but lovely still the same, the weather really made it. We went directly from home so got out past Cumnor through Wootton and Dry Sandford, stopped in Tubney for some water and snacks.

Then on to Netherton where rather poignantly we sat on a bench which was a memorial to one of the Dad's at school who tragically died very young.

This was my first proper ride on my newly acquired BMC Team Machine and it was superb, I definitely made the right decision. A really comfortable bike, ideal for a slow old fart like me!

and then back towards Appleton on completely deserted roads, down the Cumnor Hill and home. (my son trying to do Peter Sagan impressions!)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
We needed eggs. Which is annoying because we’re trying to avoid shopping. The good news is that about a mile away is a farm shop. They sell (amongst other things) eggs.

The Fragrant MrsP and I went the long way round, the seven mile route through the Hagbournes and round into Blewbury with a headwind most of the way there, to the farm shop, Savages.

You can get your cabbages at Savages.

We bought a dozen eggs, we were the only customers in, we also bought a Magnum each and ate them on the bench outside. It was like being normal again.

We were about a mile from home but The Fragrant MrsP suggested that we went back the way we came to benefit from the tailwind. So that we did. T’was lovely

Miles 10.93 on the Hybrid.
S.I: 1 via a protective screen.
Weather: Smashing - T shirt for the first time this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom