Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got fed up pretending to work from home, more so because the sun was out. I'm due three days worth of excercise so went out to use up two of them and by using the now quiet main roads don't need to social distance from any peds. The summer bike has being going fine on it's two previous outings but today decided to throw the chain twice in the first ten miles. And I've only just re-wrapped the bars with pristine white bar tape.
The only stop apart from those mechanicals was on Kelso Bridge -
View attachment 513333
This is looking upstream to the Junction Pool, a famous salmon beat, where the River Teviot (on the left) joins the River Tweed. The bridge was built by John Rennie and he copied the design for his Waterloo Bridge in Londonshire.

Today's map -

View attachment 513335

33.7 miles @16.4 mph 513m up.
Did you discover what threw the chain ? I used to have the odd throwing off whilst going from large to small chainrings. I fitted a chain catcher a couple of years back and all has been OK until a couple of weeks ago it threw the chain, perhaps a bad gear change on my part. However the chain catcher put the chain back on so no stopping and furthermore to greasy hands !

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I bet it was fairly quiet at St.Augustines ? I used to work in Felixstowe Road and I had two routes I did lunchtimes, if I had an hour lunch. One was to cycle along Bucklesham Road to the school, sometimes a bit further and then back. I did try going up to Brightwell and then back along Foxhall Road but that was too busy and a nightmare getting across the A12. The other route was to cycle up Bixley Rd to Foxhall Rd, turning right and along Foxhall Rd as far as Broadland Drive, turning left here and then doing about 8 laps on this estate which was just under a mile per lap. Lunchtimes it was quiet. But the worst bit was always either Bixley Drive and St.Augustines. Sometimes I`d cut through Broke Hall.
Quiet doesn't begin to cover it!. If you include the ride I did a couple of weeks ago which was 3 laps of a similar route, I have had to negotiate the A14 Nacton Interchange, Ransomes Industrial Estate and St. Augustines roundabouts 5 times (all the busiest in the area normally) and only had to stop once to let one vehicle out. And this was early to mid afternoon...

Mr Celine

Discordian
Did you discover what threw the chain ? I used to have the odd throwing off whilst going from large to small chainrings. I fitted a chain catcher a couple of years back and all has been OK until a couple of weeks ago it threw the chain, perhaps a bad gear change on my part. However the chain catcher put the chain back on so no stopping and furthermore to greasy hands !
The cause was a salty bunged up FD cable on my other (winter) bike. For several months I've got used to having to wrench the front shifter to get it to shift up on to the big ring. I forgot I don't have to do that on the summer bike, which has brand new cables on it and shifts up beautifully with a gently nudge. A ham fisted shove sends the chain right off. After the second time it happened I managed to remember to be gentle for the rest of the ride.
*** note to self. Adjust limit screw before next ride.***

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I haven't been out for a ride since March 20th, only been using the turbo since then but miss not being on the road. I will stick to my decision not to go out riding until this is over though as I am a stubborn git . I may have a long wait, maybe June or possibly July at the earliest I think. Oh well, at least the turbo is working well.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another early one. Off to Creacombe and bull and bear. From there it was up to Westlake. I stopped on the bridge over the Yealm at New England... no dippers.
Back to Yealmpton, then Bull and Bear again. From Holbeton to Battisborough a milk tanker had spilled milk up the road. It was smelly, but fresh.... I’m glad I’m not there later!

Down the hill at Membland and home. A nice ride. 21 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3270123881

woodbutcher

Veteran
I haven't been out for a ride since March 20th, only been using the turbo since then but miss not being on the road. I will stick to my decision not to go out riding until this is over though as I am a stubborn git . I may have a long wait, maybe June or possibly July at the earliest I think. Oh well, at least the turbo is working well.
Well done you , l am in the same boat and after all, what are a few weeks or a month or two out of a lifetime if it means more people survive the virus and hopefully the whole problem runs its course more quickly !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Out for an hour with my partner. She's a self confessed fair weather cyclist and only cycles between April and September weather dependent. Need to get her back cycling fit for longer distances for later on the year for an Autumn 100k Audax.
We went out yesterday and did the same route today. A nice 12 mile loop. Hoping to build up nice and easy does it.
20200408_115837.jpg

Old jon

Guru
More blue sky! It would be a shame to waste blue sky on a Wednesday so I adjusted the chain on the fixed and off I went.

It was early too, for me. Normal start time is about 9:30, misses the school run nicely, this morning was about 8:00. In ordinary times rush very slowly hour. Today quiet indeed, as I suspect most places are. This does not change some habits of course, still ride through Holbeck to miss that awkward right turn. Through Hunslet and up the hill to John o’ Gaunts, then a left turn to Woodlesford. Down the hill, left to cross both waterways and up to Swillington.

Garforth next, and I did not notice the turbines at Hook Moor. Soon remedied, ride around the northern edge of town, cross the railway line and continue to the roundabout over the M1. Turbines in sight, and not spinning at all. I was spinning though, no choice with no freewheel, and the road is sort of quick. The gates at Lotherton Hall were open, but decorated with signs, ‘No Admittance’ they read. Not a problem, turn left to Aberford.

That left turn onto Cattle Lane really tees me off, three big lumps of ironmongery right on the line you want to ride. Yup, go wide and miss them. It is a bit up and down to Barwick, from Cock Beck to the maypole can work the legs and lungs a bit. Which is what this bike riding is about, yup? Another crest before Scholes, then after the former railway bridge things level nicely. A brisk pedal along a short stretch of A64, a right turn onto the first of three lanes, Thorner, Skeltons and Red Hall, barely a gradient to share between them.

Reached the A58 and on a vagrant whim went straight across onto the other bit of Red Hall Lane. I could not remember if the road went anywhere. Seemed not, when I reached the end, but looking at the map now, maybe it does. Next time. Back to the Wetherby Road, turn right to the Ring Road, and when there turn right again. Must have had my exploring hat on, I have not ridden on the Ring Road in a long time. Crossed it aye, you cannot escape Leeds without doing that. Although there is a gap, sort of Colton to Middleton, I suppose. Anyway, riding towards the A61, cut a corner and then onto Street Lane and back to the Oakwood Clock.

For once, I crossed the Aire on Leeds Bridge as a slightly more direct route home. This involved riding through Leeds centre, just to see how busy it was not. The corner of Hunslet often ridden through had a day off, it might have added another mile to the total of thirty three covered this morning. But it did not subtract from the smile as I reached home.
Edit to correct a spelling mistake. eejut!!

Wandering around invisible contours . . .

08042020.jpg

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
12 mile circuit round the outside of the airport on the tandem with Mrs A_T. Lovely day,.
Same route today on my bike... another lovely day but headwind back. I met someone out walking who I last worked with in 1983, turned out he's just moved back to Morpeth and was out for a long walk, so good to catch up!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A twenty mile local loop today, nice weather, bib shorts and short sleeves jersey weather.

Up the hills and down to the Astons then along to south Moreton, up the hill again to see Wittenham Clumps in the distance down to Cholsey via St Mary’s Church were Agatha Christie is buried, the to the outskirts is Wallingford, then through Brightwell again back to Didcot and home.

Miles: 20 (approx, I paused my watch at Cholsey and forgot to put it back on)
S.I.: minus 0 didn’t speak to a soul, no one, zilch, bugger all.
Weather: smashing.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
More blue sky! It would be a shame to waste blue sky on a Wednesday so I adjusted the chain on the fixed and off I went.
Through Hunslet and up the hill to John o’ Gaunts, then a left turn to Woodlesford. Down the hill, left to cross both waterways and up to Swillington.
You rode past my dad's old bungalow's front door on Holmsley Lane just before the hill down to the A639 through Woodlesford- small world!
Does your fixed have a freewheel- that's a long way to have to keep pedalling especially downhil Jon!]!

Katherine

Guru
Mod Note
This thread is for writing about your actual bike rides. It is a very popular thread and should be respected as the celebration of cycling that it has always been.
We know circumstances are very difficult for a lot of people and we would really appreciate it if members would please use other apprropriate threads for discussions about turbo riding, any reasons for not riding, the behaviour of the general public and especially all discussions about coronavirus.
Very many thanks.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
20 miles around the same lanes and roads that I've been riding around for the last couple of weeks. Stopped for a church pic again and will post it in the usual place.
Seemed to be a lot windier out than it looked from indoors and I found it a bit of a struggle for the first half of the ride.
Weather nice and sunny, traffic fairly light.
Another enjoyable ride.

Old jon

Guru
Does your fixed have a freewheel- that's a long way to have to keep pedalling especially downhil Jon!]!

The clue, thanks for the chance to say this, is in the name. Fixed. Pool Bank, Creskeld Lane and Black Hill Road, oh, and that drop from Eccup through Weardley have all been done on the fixed. Uphill is difficult though.
Small world number two, I saw you mentioned Morpeth in a post, one of my great mates, and a brilliant musician came from there. Sadly gone now, but Ewen is still remembered.

Top Bottom