Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Legendary Member
Stunning warm evening ride, first in shorts for 2020, around current lockdown route.

Hardly a breath of wind, 0 runners and less cyclists, but more cars unfortunately. Annoyance on the narrow lane, where a farmer had dumped his truck, in the middle of the road, both doors wide open, so had to squeeze past, on the verge. About 2 minutes later he comes barrelling past, on another narrow bit, giving me hardly any room. Prat!!

Need to find a couple more short routes, like this, that avoid as many people as possible, to avoid this one becoming monotonous.

12.35 miles at 12.7mph avg. Shaved another 2 seconds off the duration though ^_^

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The clue, thanks for the chance to say this, is in the name. Fixed. Pool Bank, Creskeld Lane and Black Hill Road, oh, and that drop from Eccup through Weardley have all been done on the fixed. Uphill is difficult though.
Small world number two, I saw you mentioned Morpeth in a post, one of my great mates, and a brilliant musician came from there. Sadly gone now, but Ewen is still remembered.
Tell me you've got a front brake!! - then at least you can take your feet off the pedals and 'wheeeeee' all the way down... I catapulted myself every time I tried to slow or stop on my friends fixed- couldn't get the hang of it until he got a freewheel then really enjoyed it.... I apologise just remembered you'd call it a single-speed then, oops!

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My daily allowance of outdoor exercise has been used for other things the last couple of days so I was glad to get out and ride today. I used the Raleigh for the first proper outing of the year which was also the test of the new Cambium saddle.

Not too busy round the village to start with and the A49 was quieter than the last couple of times I've been out (although one of the drivers who overtook still had to squeeze past when someone was coming the other way :rolleyes:)

This bike feels so good after riding the knockabout bike through what has felt like a really long winter. On the section between Condover and Ryton there was a loud ping from the rear as a car went past. I was pretty sure it was a stone flicked against my spokes but stopped to check the wheel over and also adjusted the saddle.

The bike just seemed to fly along with ease after the adjustment and after passing through Longnor and Acton Burnell I decided to extend the ride out to Cound Moor, Harnage and Cound as I was getting along so well. The house with the flags at Cound was showing a St. Piran's Cross today.

Cound Stank to Cross Houses was done at the sort of speed I can only aspire to on the Hawk before I headed back onto the lanes through Berrington, King Street and back to Condover. The final blast up to the A49 was great and made better by the road being as quiet as it was.

I didn't count the number of cyclists today but there were plenty out including a few (obvious) family groups brought out by the change to warm weather. I'm pleased to say that I haven't seen any groups other than families when I've been out.

I stopped to check if one rider was okay - she was, the water bottle had just decided to drop out.

The saddle seems good. I got a little fidgety on it at points in the ride but those moments passed and otherwise I hardly thought about it.

23.6 miles at 15.7 mph average.

Just a couple of snaps as I wasn't aiming to stop for photos.

First outing for the Raleigh with the new Cambium saddle.

View to the Stretton Hills from just outside Great Ryton.

Mike_P

Guru
The Defy found itself with a slightly annoyed rider late afternoon today; the work laptop had frozen, probably lost the entire afternoons work and then refused to let me login again. A quick way to resolve the mind was to do what I avoided yesterday and tackle the southbound climb of the middle Oaker Bank in a reasonably respectable 30 seconds slower than my faster which I presume was on a day of northerly wind. Todays wind at last had a sense of normality about being quite definitely a westerly. West briefly on Penny Pot and then the normal route I referred to yesterday across the A59 which again was busy with eastbound HGVs. On the decent of Rawdon Lane I was grateful for the axillary brake levers as it really was a case of sitting upright and playing spot the pot hole. Through Hampsthwaite remembering for once not to go to Clapham Green and instead the climb of the eastern Clint Bank. I was not the only cyclist heading up it and two, should they have been riding together, obviously confirmed no regard to social distancing by turning onto the Nidderdale Greenway with no chance of being 2m from someone coming the other way. Eventually overtook the other cyclist I had been following, not an easy task on a upward gradient trying to work out if its safe to overtake 2m distant and get back in before a vehicle approaches in the opposite direction. Turned north where it joins onto the western Clint Bank from Birstwith and the top of the climbing eventually hovered into view.

Then down Whipley Bank matching my previous best time

to Ripley and home via Killinghall from where to the A59 I managed my best time this year despite a cross head wind. I said it nice having a westerly again but tomorrows forecast is an easterly:ohmy:
12.21.miles @ 12.8mph avg with 1014ft climbed.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It was a lovely sunny afternoon. I got the summer bike out and pumped up the tyres. It was the usual Ashleworth route that I chose. The wood anemones at Brand Green are still superb and the bluebells are beginning to show. The usual superb blooms of Lady's Smock were nowhere to be seen down on the Hams. They must have been affected by the flooding. Hopefully they will pop back up. There were 3 Little Egrets on the Hams tho' and at a new bit of pool lots of first year swans had gathered. The ride north had a hint of headwind but wasn't a hindrance really. The occasional Buzzard was enjoying soaring. Lovely warm spring day. 48 smiles

JPBoothy

Veteran
A twenty mile local loop today, nice weather, bib shorts and short sleeves jersey weather.

Up the hills and down to the Astons then along to south Moreton, up the hill again to see Wittenham Clumps in the distance down to Cholsey via St Mary’s Church were Agatha Christie is buried, the to the outskirts is Wallingford, then through Brightwell again back to Didcot and home.

Miles: 20 (approx, I paused my watch at Cholsey and forgot to put it back on)
S.I.: minus 0 didn’t speak to a soul, no one, zilch, bugger all.
Weather: smashing.

View attachment 513488

View attachment 513489

View attachment 513490

View attachment 513491
Nice Bike 👍

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Headed out early today to ride over the Heide. Quiet country lanes soon gave way to the forest and I flew along in the spring sunshine enjoying the solitude of the forest. As I rode down towards Wildech I came across a small farm in the midst of the forest, with a pasture for horses in a clearing. The barn was typical of the wooden framed architecture prevalent in this region.

The track wound on through the trees, alternating from gravel to sand and all variants between, providing a challenging but enjoyable ride.

After 20km of wonderful forest tracks I reached Angelbeck Teich and sat down on the bench for second Breakfast. Besides somebody on the other bank fishing, I was in complete solitude and hadn't seen another soul all morning.

After breakfast I headed on towards to the Teifantal. Reaching the top, I headed down a track that swung me round to the start of the ridgeline. This early in the morning I had the place to myself and with the wind in my back, I flew along the ridge, bouncing over the roots and having a whale of a time as the bike handled the terrain with aplomb.

All to soon it was over and then the track met the road. For the next 6km I flew along perfect country roads towards the next section of Heide. Then it was over 30km of riding along tracks winding between heather cloaked moor and woodland. Eventually I emerged at the nature reserve at Eschede. I had a peanut butter sarnie in one of the hides, watching the birds coming and going in the lakes below.

Then it was off exploring again as I'd discovered a new section of forest track heading back to Reberlah and from there on towards home. On perfect forest trails I wound between the trees and looked up into perfect blue skies punctuated by the rare sight of aircraft vapour trails.

After 89 kilometres I finally reached my home, with tired legs but elated and content with a stunning springtime ride. I am really fortunate at the moment, to not only be living in a country that's encouraging unlimited exercise, but also to have such amazing riding opportunities on my doorstep. In all the ride I only saw a tiny handful of people, all easily avoided, complete and blissful solitude in the most amazing countryside.

lovely ride today the first of the year in just shorts & jersey no other layers, a good 21C here in Windshire with a light 7-8 mph wind, I only had a limited amount of time so blitzed the main loop out and enjoyed a slightly convoluted cool down ride home.

16.35 miles avg 18.6 mph then 9.1 miles @ 15.5 mph, not hard to guess which way the wind was blowing :laugh:

Cycling still permitted here in Portugal, albeit solo and staying in our respective regions.
For the Easter weekend we have to tighten that further to our local municipal areas only so I'll hit the trails and do mtb.

Weather hasn't been great by local standards which helps keep folks indoors. Beaches closed anyway. Without tourists, it is very quiet, might see only 1 or 2 other cyclists on my rides and a handful of walkers/runners.

GOPR0125_ALTA-605912551014680.JPG

Screenshot_20200407-094540_Strava.jpg

strava7629017335074825259.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Anti clockwise round my Acton Burnell loop this morning, going the longer way over Lyth Hill on the way out.

For a bit of frivolity I decided to use the Kingpin this time which hasn't been out for a long time. This is a bike that isn't fast but brings a smile to the face and revives the novelty when riding the same old roads.^_^

I say it's not fast, but even so I caught another rider on the way into Ryton. This presented a bit of a dilemma as I was having to hold back and only having the 3 speeds I don't have tall enough gearing to make an overtake stick if he decided to start pressing on. Fortunately it was solved for me when he turned off at the next junction.

The rest of the ride was nicely uneventful. There were fewer cyclists out today (no more than I'd usually see on a nice spring day) and more cars out. In fact, discounting the A49 still being slightly quieter than usual, you'd hardly know that there was supposed to be a crisis from the amount of motor traffic.

No speedometer on this bike so I don't have figures. I think it's just under 18 miles for the variation of the route that I did and I was out for about an hour and a half.

The freewheel seems to have developed a bit of drag so I think I'm going to have to service the Sturmey Archer hub, which is a bit daunting as I haven't done one before.

Top Bottom