Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Bystander

Über Member
Just a short local loop.
Although I was on roads well known to me I had the reassuring comfort of GPS to keep me on track
GPStotherescue.jpg

How did we cope before?

Had the former owner of this pile of cr@p had GPS available perhaps they'd have found their way to the municipal waste facilities...
Flytipped100420.jpg

...but then again perhaps they wouldn't :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
This afternoons ride was Longford to Twigworth to Down Hatherley to Staverton where I stopped for a church pic and an unscheduled wander around to find my computer, which I noticed had fallen of its mount as I was setting off from the pic stop. Luckily found it fairly quickly.
Then on to Boddington then to Coombe Hill past The Swan pub where I waved at the landlord who was out pressure washing the floor, he waved back but I don't think he recognised me ( I often take my dad for lunch there). From Coombe Hill I went on to Lower Apperly, past the Farmers Arms pub (another lunch trip pub), where I waved at one of the staff there who was sat outside on a bench, don't think she recognised me either but she did wave back. On from there I turned to go to Wainlodes where I had a bit of a rest and drink looking at the river for a while. From there back onto the Tewkesbury road and back through Twigworth to my start point.
19 miles. Lots more cyclists and fewer cars seen today.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another warm, sunny day here and I decided to go in the opposite direction today for a change of scenery. Set off towards the Moatshed, turned to Northwood then back to Whixall, past Browns to Horton, Loppington, Nonely, Myddle, Burlton, English Frankton, Colemere, Lyneal, Welshampton back to Northwood then home. 23.3 miles @15.7mph. It was so nice out I even took pictures.Not too many people out today.
AFB1620F-6CFF-40E9-AB4E-476764AF0053.jpeg

65D6A11E-3F45-4266-9457-1E27AC3D0EFE.jpeg

064D1101-96A5-4E3E-A476-742099440913.jpeg

Attachments

• 0A24D934-1769-45AC-B020-E71B1771D91D.jpeg
    0A24D934-1769-45AC-B020-E71B1771D91D.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 2

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today has been frustrating and unproductive.

Having awoken late, consumed the last two eggs and found myself in a decidedly foul mood since everything appears have gone wrong recently, I thrashed it down to the local shop on the creaky old rotter for another tray of eggs - only to be told they'd run out. Never mind; not the end of the world and I won't starve.

Since I was out on the bike, it was so nice and I had sod all else to do I dropped off my massive utility rucksack at home (to avoid a sweaty back) and defiantly headed into the hills. All the people who are no longer in town are still on all over the bridleways; with no shortage of other cyclists and walkers on my chosen route.

These were the routes I should be enjoying on my new bike, which thanks to a warranty-return paint defect to a less-than-enthusiastic supplier is currently serving as a very expensive paperweight in the living room :sad:

Fuelled by Metallica's classic Master of Puppets I smashed my way along the rough, chalky tracks; not holding back on the speed but trying to avoid the worst bits for the sake of my skinny 25c slicks; which handled the abuse well. As much as I yern to get out on these routes on the new bike, I appreciated the liberating feeling of not having to care about what I was riding since it's only a matter of time before its knackered frame sends it to the scrapper, making stone-chips an anxiety-free non-issue :smile:

At the end of the track I forked off down a tarmac road which emerged somewhere other than where I'd expected; and interestingly somewhere I'd wondered about as I passed a few days ago en-route from Boar's Hill.

I caned it down the long, 3-4% hill back towards town; reaching the roundabout on the ringroad with fortuitous timing that allowed me to take a long, sweeping line across it with no loss of speed; exiting at about 30mph and peeling off towards the Abingdon rd. From there it was across Donny bridge, down the Iffley rd back into town and home.

Only 10 miles but I feel a lot better for letting off some steam and not totally wasting the fantastic weather by staying indoors throughout. Hopefully tomorrow I'll take the more presentable road bike out for a longer, "proper" ride :smile:

EDIT: Forgot to add it was the first time rocking the shorts this year as the temperature was great. Also had some fun super-manning along the straight flat bits with arms on the tops of the drops and gripping the hoods. Tangible aero gains, almost comfortable, stable and a lot less terrifying that I'd expected :smile:

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Out with Ms AU for an hour. Very little traffic as you can see.

20200410_135425.jpg

Heavenly!

colly

Re member eR
Mid pm local ride.

Usual lanes and roads. Roundhay Park, Moortown, Shadwell, Alwoodley, Eccup, Wigton Lane, Shadwell, Street Lane and home again.
The quiet lane to the far side of Eccup Reservoir was far from quiet.:sad: . Lots of people walking and running, on horses, on bikes, even a couple of cars for God's sake.
Think I'll give it a miss unless it's early morning or nightime. At least until this lockdown is done with.

17.2 miles 700 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46961033

Edit: It pays to proof read before you post. One little comma makes such a difference. 😄 ( Lots of people walking and running on horses)

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Shorts and short sleeves today. A first for 2020. I aimed at Acton Green to drop into the Frome Valley. It seemed like a good idea to make a visit to the church at Acton Beauchamp on they way down. First time visit and what a lovely spot. I took the roller coaster run past the Dragon sculpture near Crowell's Ash for the climb onto Hegdon Hill. Haze obscured the view today sadly. Risbury lies near the bottom of the descent. I took to a bit of exploring some of the lanes on the way to Sutton St Nicholas - again something new. The Hereford road was very quiet as I crossed for Larport. It seemed like a good idea to go by Clouds and Woolhope Cockshoot. The wild daffs up here are beginning to fade. I dropped steeply for Trumpet and the usual run back. Just the climb of the Wyche left to see me back. 66 smiles and 5000 feet of climbing.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My longest exercise ride since lockdown today ..... 20.3 miles. Thought I'd head out to somewhere far from civilisation, so I went to Stonehouse. Saw about 10 cars and 10-15 cyclists in the whole 20 miles. The main Stonehouse road is one I rarely cycle on because of traffic. We do use it at the beginning of many of our Sunday morning club rides, but I avoid it at other times. Today it was completely empty. Several miles of smooth new tarmac all to myself. Still not as surprising as this view of a near empty M5:

Conscious that my loop through Stonehouse, Westend and Whitminster might keep me out a bit longer than my self-imposed 60-90 minute lockdown limit, I hammered it a bit at times tonight. Eventually got home in 1 hour 26 mins, having covered 20.3 miles. Not bad for me.
Glorious weather again, and zero social interaction.
Stay safe everyone. Donger.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet another beautiful sunny day in this corner of Suffolk, just a light easterly breeze off the North Sea to take the edge of the temperature until you got a few miles from the coast.

Just like last Tuesday I decided to keep things fairly local doing a version of the Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourne, Waldingfield & Rushmere loop, then cutting back to Bucklesham without the normal run out to Westerfield. Then a quick stop for a drink & an energy bar at a picnic stop just off the A14 Trimley roundabout...
Capel Hall Lane Picnic Site.jpg

bafore setting off and repeating the same loop again. In total 2 x 31.9 mile laps and this month's 100k challenge ride completed.

The main observation from today was the sheer number of people out and about on bikes or on foot - even including the main road round the top of Ipswich I'm sure I saw more cyclists than cars. Mostly solo riders (no club jerseys at all) but a good number of family groups.
Screenshot_2020-04-10 A very Good Friday Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-04-10 A very Good Friday Ride Strava(1).png

Mike_P

Guru
No leg warmers needed today and an outing for a short sleeve jersey. Headed north on the Defy this afternoon up the A61 beyond where I normally turn off to Nidd, a road that seems to almost continuously curve one way or the other and as a result littered with chevron signs indicating the bends Between these two bends on the approach to South Stainley the grass slope is the cut back embankment of the closed Harrogate to Ripon part of the Leeds & Thirsk Railway.

Left the A61 at Wormald Green and headed west through Markington, a lumpy route starting off with a 8.8% max climb with two false flats and then, after Markington, Hob Green Hill of 7.1% max as a warm up for Drovers Hill, itself approached by a short decent with the 14.3% max being towards the lower part acting as a quick suppression to speed gained. Then back to Ripley down Scarah Bank hitting 36 mph. Beyond Killinghall I thought a new PR to the A59 might be on but as the road curved to the right a family outing of four riding two abreast was on the road with a left curve ahead of them, so had to slow until I could safely overtake on the wrong side of the road. Still managed a best time this year. 15.36miles @ 14.5mph avg 938ft climbed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom