Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A quick solitary ride across the fen earlier

No, not the Middle East but Cambs/ Suffolk border country. It’s been pretty dry for a while hereabouts .

A nice sunny 10 mile circuit today. Early swallows and house martins aplenty now and the hedgerows and copses full of blackcap song. Nature carries on.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Nature carries on.
vZjYyOS.jpg

Just back from this morning's ride.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Friday's ride. First of the year in shorts, but hedged my bets with a long sleeved top which proved to be a bit much. I bailed out of my originally planned ride to the border at the Carter Bar as I was getting a bit warm and I don't think my fitness is quite up to a very hilly 50 miler. I was about half way there when I changed plan to do last week's main road loop in the other direction. Last week I stopped at Cleikimin and took a photo from the A68 Teviot bridge looking towards the old bridge, so this week I detoured slightly and took the reverse photo -

According to the plaque on the new bridge it opened in 1940. Having only ever driven or cycled over it I never realised it was a masonry arched bridge and must be one of last of that type built on a main road.
On towards Hawick, en route I was overtaken on a blind corner by one of my work's pool cars. :rolleyes: In Hawick the lockdown was not so obvious as it is in Gala. A friend's mum, who lives in Hawick, is of the opinion that like the railway, freeview, or MacDonalds if it ever gets to Hawick it will be years after Gala gets it. :wacko:
This is Hawick from the pedestrianised High Street Bridge over the River Teviot looking towards its replacement. Just beyond that can be seen two of the footings of the long demolished railway viaduct.

One more stop, the day's summit at Groundistone Heights. Not a motor vehicle in sight or earshot, the only sound being that of skylarks. Photo is looking north west along the A7 towards the Tweedsmuir hills in the distance.

On the whole the roads were a bit busier than last week. It would appear that plenty of essential journeys can be made by motorcycle. Of the cars that passed about a third had dogs in the back, a third were driven by elderly motorists and the other third were young fiesta / corsa drivers going at absurd speeds. Passing through Selkirk at 30mph on a long downhill one of the latter group initially stopped at a give way then did a SMIDGAF.

The map, unsurprisingly, the same as last weeks -
1586600519292.png

40.1 miles @ 16.2mph, 646m up.

gavgav

Guru
A 14 mile bimble this morning for me. Quite a headwind in places but very pleasant nonetheless. Maybe a dozen cars. 1 runner. 1 walker, and 1 mother with a little boy of about 5 or 6 on bikes.

And a happy belated birthday @gavgav .

View attachment 514180

View attachment 514181

View attachment 514182

View attachment 514183

View attachment 514184
Thanks

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out just after 3, down to Bridgend. Out the back lanes of Noss and around to Battisborough, then down to Ermington. I was contemplating going to Ivybridge, but I went up a savage hill to Westlake instead. I’d not been up this way, it didn’t disappoint. 12-14% with a final bit of 16% at the top. Down to Dunstone, Bull and Bear and home. 18.81 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3284932492

gavgav

Guru
Out on the Carbon, for a short late afternoon ride in the sun.

Headed through Betton Abbots and then along Lyons Lane, to Condover. Turned left and left again, towards Cantlop, where I timed it just right, as a big Tractor and Trailer arrived at the junction. Wouldn’t have fancied mixing it with that on the lane.

I enjoyed the fast descent, from Cantlop and then started up the climb, where I was passed by 2 lunatics, riding a super bike, doing some unbelievable speed, how much I dread to think. There was clearly nothing essential about that trip. Seriously hope the police catch up with them today.

I did a loop of the local business park and then back home having done 11.4 miles at 13.7mph avg.

Lovely and warm

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have stayed in since the lockdown began. I decided to head out on an actual bike today. The weather will break here soon and, whilst the rollers in the back garden are ok, it cannot compare to actual road riding.
I decided to take the old green Saracen mountain bike. It has pretty narrow tyres on it and I can attach a pannier to it on the extreme off chance that I can find some eggs.
Ah eggs. We haven't seen an egg in any shop since this all started. I only want one. I have a new 2lb loaf tin and the family have requested another ginger cake. Trouble is, you need an egg.
The weather is wonderful. Warm with a steady breeze. Has the 150 miles on the rollers made any difference to my total lack of fitness? Off we go then. Off to a farm that often has a box with eggs and an honesty box at the side of the road. It is on the outskirts of Brewood so I head that way feeling my way on what is the first time on the road since Christmas Day. The sun is warm on my arms, legs and head and I settle into a rhythm slower than usual but steady.
There are more cars than I expected but all of them gave me the widest of passes. There were more folks out jogging along the Brewood road than I have ever seen before and a few other cyclists all coming the other way.
I reach the farm which is down a notorious cut through lane for folks heading to the A5 and the M6. Way fewer cars today though. No eggs though. The sign is there but the cool box isn't. Enough cars still come through here. Shall I go home? No, I know of another farm more on the road to nowhere than this one.
Cycling through Brewood, I notice an honesty box or possibly a charity stand on the side of the road. A few tins, packets of pasta and even a couple of toilet rolls. Good effort whoever that is!
A good few miles pass with me trying to keep my heart rate below what is my guesstimated maximum.
The rest of the ride is my usual loop. Things have changed since I was last through including, a lovely length of new Tarmac. A few bits of fly tipping which isn't good. I know the tip is closed but a pox upon you nethertheless.
All the usual places are shut. The Spiderweb Cafe, Cosford museum and Boscobel House. Back home a bit slower than I could have managed. I even stopped to salvage some litter as padding because BEHOLD:

25 miles and a successful mission! The ride will hold good memories whilst I use the rollers during next week.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I popped down to the farm shop a mile away to get milk and eggs, MrsP couldn’t get any this morning, I took the Kingpin. Got the stuff came home.

Later I went out for a ride earlier, just a 12 mile loop on the MTB , the Fragrant MrsP came along too. Nothing to report other than the weather was really nice the views as they often are around here were stunning. The only problem was me, just wasn’t ‘feeling’ it today.

Queues outside the shop

MTB loop.

Top Bottom