Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
An evening ride in the warm sunshine today, trying to stay fairly close to home. Set off to Whixall, through to Alkington, back over the canal to Fenns Bank, over the crossroads to Hollinswood, Coton, out onto the Whitchurch road then back onto the lanes to Braynes Hall, Waterloo, Ryebank, Horton, Wolverley, Northwood and back home. Lots more people out on bikes or walking than I would usually see. 22 miles @15.5mph , lovely warm sunshine but a bit too windy in places as I was getting blown across the lane.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Nice early morning ride yesterday, under lovely clear skies. Headed out to Keynsham then climbed up to Norton Malreward before the even steeper climb to Dundry, this is one of my favourite local climbs with the reward of great views over Bristol once on the top.

IMG_20200406_083125.jpg

IMG_20200405_095256.jpg

IMG_20200405_083511.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Group of seven in a tight pack went by the other way when I was walking back from dropping off essentials to my mother yesterday. They were are chatting away and clearly not a family group... otherwise no-one out except for the odd family group or dog-walker- funny what some consider acceptable. Difficult isn't it?

Must be impossible in large towns and cities to find space anywhere to take isolated exercise if everyone is allowed one hour outside, but it's the towns and cities not having the space to isolate which will wreck everyone else's choice in rural locations.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I just rode round the block to get a loaf of bread, a quick 8.02 miles, nothing of any interest happened, nor did I see anything worthy of this fred. No photos, not even a map. I don’t even no why I wrote this post, still, it’s done now.

Oh wait, the weather was quite nice today.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I just rode round the block to get a loaf of bread, a quick 8.02 miles, nothing of any interest happened, nor did I see anything worthy of this fred. No photos, not even a map. I don’t even no why I wrote this post, still, it’s done now.

Oh wait, the weather was quite nice today.
That sounds very like every ride I've ever done.... apart from the nice weather!

Today was going to be the day: I was going to get up early and ride great distances.

Well. I got up early anyway.

2020_04_05_Uhlberg_01.JPG

Normally the traffic at the end of the road is moderately loud, but today, silence. I could hear birds singing and as I stopped over an inspection cover in the road, I could hear the water underneath.

It was like Germany playing in the World Cup had coincided with the apocalypse.

2020_04_05_Uhlberg_02.JPG

It is getting increasingly difficult to cross the local autobahn to the south because there's a new high speed rail link being built along the route. The local authority has realised that they need to make diversion for cyclists, they still haven't worked out that laying diversions over several kilometres and a lot of hills for a closed section about 20 metres long isn't very helpful. Thankfully building sites close like everything else on Sundays. Mind you, I'd have expected a bit of traffic on the Autobahn, but I could hear a skylark on when I took this picture.

When Germans stop driving, that's when you know they are taking the situation seriously.

2020_04_05_Uhlberg_09.JPG

Even though the current rules say I can cycle as much as I want, I didn't think I'd have the time to ride a full 60k so I went for a shorter but hillier route so I'd at least feel like I'd pushed myself a bit. Thus is was that I ended up at the Uhlberg tower and cafe. Towers like this are fairly popular in Germany, often in fairly isolated spots and usually with a cafe attached. I'm guessing they're mostly on the site of ancient watch towers from the days when these hills were basically like the Wild West and everyone was watching everyone else's castle, although I doubt the had a cafe at the time.

This one has a clear view of two of the biggest local castles and several valley entrances. I know because I once went up with Beautiful Daughter who I discovered has no fear of heights whatsoever.

Unfortunately I do.

2020_04_05_Uhlberg_11.JPG

The route back lead through several villages, all of which seemed largely deserted. This is Bonlanden Lutheran church, surrounded by an old village centre that spills down he hillside and would probably be famous were it not for the fact it's one of several hundred locally, and also because Hugo Boss has built the mother of all logistic centres right next to it.

2020_04_05_Uhlberg_12.JPG

I can see my apartment in this picture. Unfortunately you can't see the three valleys between me and it... This view normally has a sky graffitied with vapour trails.

2020_04_05_Uhlberg_14.JPG

Last corner before the village...

2020_04_05_Uhlberg_15.JPG

Last kilometre to our village. The agricultural roads here may be traffic free, but they currently get a bit busy with people trying to get some exercise. We all made sure we kept more than 2m apart.

Forgot the map:

2020_04_05_Uhlberg_16.JPG

About 34k, so not particularly epic, but I'll build on that...

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Took my little lad out for a ride today. We've been building up the distances as the Winter's progressed and with a beautiful day forecast it was a good day for him to do his longest ride to date. We started out in the forest close to the house and ambled along in the spring sunshine. As we got further away from the town the amount of folk dwindled to nothing. We hunted out little used paths through the forests that we had found during the winter.

Stopping often for snacks and a look around my son led the way as the route wound it's way through little used tracks that have turned sandy and dusty in the dry weather.

After 12 km we came up to the Hydro Electric plant that spans across the river and the point were we crossed and started to loop back home.

We stopped on the other side of the bridge and sat down in the spring sun to have a well earned lunch break. We skimmed stones in the water and clambered over the old turbine blades that have been set down on the river bank. Continuing on the track on the other side is more popular and a few cyclists were out and about, though never more than 2 together, as per the rules. We kept our distance and slowly meandered our way back towards home. On a few occasions we sneaked off the trail and hunted down some lovely single track in the forest.

Finally we rolled back home, tired but elated. The little lad was over the moon and really proud of his achievement, 25km in total, on a lovely spring day. Hopefully the German authorities will still allow us to continue to go out ,as long we observe good social distancing and we can continue to have some great rides in the solitude of the forest.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
A ride around the lanes again today, similar to the previous rides I've described here. Didn't look at computer so don't know how far but I guess about 15 miles. I did stop and take a pic which I will post in the bike in front of church thread.

Old jon

Guru
Blue skies and sunshine, wet tarmac. Ah, but. I rode on Saturday and Sunday too.
Saturday first.
A bright morning slowly clouding over, and the promise of warmth later in the day. Wheel the fixed out and ride!
A short ride, mojo in second gear for some reason. After pedalling five miles or so I had reached Oakwood and I turned left at the clock for a little more rising road. That first stretch is soon over, just settling an easy rhythm and I was passed. By a rider with whiter hair than mine! He reached thirty or forty yards in front and stayed that far away. Of course I could not catch up, and had already decided to loop through the park and make my way home.

Little traffic, comfortable temperature and a pleasant ride of just short of twelve miles, still reached my street with a smile in place.

And a map . . .

04042020.jpg

Sunday was very different. Supermarket shopping needed, I have what could be called a shopping bike, it has a rack and I discovered that my panniers fit that rack. Off went I. This did feel like hard work, and of course everything was different. It was an interesting exercise, riding around the town centre looking for somewhere to lock the bike up. Thankfully all was quiet, and on the return journey too. Except the weight in the panniers did make the lungs work harder. Good thing to do.

Back to proper riding today, on the geared bike. Such a change from the day before. Anyway, mooch around Holbeck, cross the river at Crown Point and up to Oakwood. Pass the spare gates that Roundhay Park left at the roadside, bit of a dip then Boot Hill. After the crest turn right onto Red Hall Lane, then along Skeltons Lane to the left turn to Thorner, on Thorner Lane. For a change, leave the village up Church Hill, riding towards Bramham.

A hefty tailwind along here, and the road tends downhill as well so progress is easy. Down the dip to cross a stream I cannot find the name of. Maybe it drains Wothersome Lake? Climb away from that then straight and level for a while to Bramham. Oddly busy here, take the road out to Clifford. Houses, a couple of fields then a school after which the village is reached.

The final bit of road on the video leads to Boston Spa, turn left on Main Street, road surface is terrible, and ride towards Collingham. Another left when the A58 is reached, what was a helpful breeze has now turned into a brake. Stop for a refuel and find it easier starting again. Bardsey is next, shall I climb Rigton Bank? Not today thank you, lets do the long haul up through Scarcroft instead. It is good when you have a choice, don’t you find?

The rain clouds were visible to my right front as I left Scarcroft behind, two or three minutes of a shower before the blue sky returned. A couple more hill crests to the Ring Road and the drop to the clock at Oakwood, then navigate around the edge of town on my way to home and a shower. Thirty one miles to be happy about, a really good ride.

Todays endeavours, geographically,

06042020.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Out in the lovely evening sunshine, on my regular lockdown route, which I finally managed to do in less than 1 hour, shaving it down to 58 mins and 29 seconds.

Very quiet lanes, which was good, just 1 runner and 5 cyclists, oh and 3 cars, 1 of whom passed me like a bat out of hell, on the lane between Eaton Mascott and Pitchford Fork.

12.3 miles at 12.6mph avg speed

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Superb spring day today. I headed off around by Suckley but decided against climbing Ankerdine. Instead I took mini Ankerdine to Martley and through the lanes to Wichenford. Then around by Moseley to Ockeridge and over to Camp Lane. The views were wonderful over the Teme valley with the Clee Hills in the background. A Buzzard floated in the view. I dropped into the Teme valley and crossed on New Mill bridge before crossing again on Ham Bridge to climb out and over to Martley. Thence the fairly flat route back. Nice outing in lovely weather. 52 smiles

My ride today was a walk around the village and with all the dry weather we’ve been having plus the extra foot fall the usually overgrown paths are actually rideable trails, the whole 3 mile walk I could not stop thinking how much fun it would be on my mtb.

the walk however was ruined by the extensive muck spreading which is so bad I had to put my clothes in the wash and have a shower to get rid of the stink.

Last edited:
After deeming yesterday would be too busy with walkers and cyclists I decided to wait until today. Yesterday was of course glorious, this morning was dull and rain was forecast but I`d sooner have that than too many people about. As it happened the skies cleared and I had a good ride. There were a few people out on bikes and one group of three who I am pretty sure were not of the same household. Shorts today for the first time this year but I still had a base layer on with cycle jersey on top and I was pretty comfortable. It was also my fastest ride for ages at a 17.8mph average but then with 9mph westerly and 14 degree it all helps, plus the mood was better. I still treat each ride as my last if we under go total lock down. There was more traffic about, mainly vans and plain ones at that excepting DPD who still don`t take prisoners. Ride finished at 24 miles with a big smile my face.

I spotted 3 buzzards and 3 kestrels today and thought " would`nt it be nice to be up there and just soar".
Keep well and cycle on folks.

Top Bottom