Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
A gentle SW wind so a clockwise route today – I’ll let the wind carry me NE while my legs warm up, then I’ll tack S against the wind, and finally return home with the wind on my back.

15 effortless kilometres through Pont Ruelland and up to Gaël. Then I picked up the V3 link (a signed cycle route that forms the central part of Brittany’s V3 Voie Verte) and I headed S towards St Léry and Mauron. Onto the surfaced cycle path in Mauron and a further 13km to Trégadoret. Off onto the road over the Yvel’s flood plain and up into Loyat. A right by the church and up onto the ‘high road’ through Kerbois. Down through Kersamson and onto the D13 into Guilliers. Then the back road to Evriguet and home via St Brieuc-de-Mauron.

A pleasant 60km/three-hour ride through some very pretty countryside.

A couple of cyclists on the V3 link

Looking towards the Forêt de Paimpont from the V3 link

The centre of St Léry

Old jon

Guru
Another ride out in company this morning, away I went in changeable weather to meet half a dozen others by the Dexter and we pedalled off to Scarcroft along Wike Ridge Lane and Tarn Lane.

Across the A58 and head towards Milner Lane and its junction with Holme Farm Lane. And then the navigation becomes clever indeed. We turned onto what became Jewitt Lane, but I did not know that till we reached Compton Lane. And instead of descending to Collingham we turned right, to find an interesting track. This provided a choice of three ruts to ride in, I chose the smoothest most of the time.

And breathed a sigh of relief when we reached Wattle Syke roundabout. Down the hill to Wetherby, right handed around the outskirts and the chief navigator took us to a bike track to Thorpe Arch. Another new one for me, and a very nice bit of travelling too. A stop to refuel was most welcome at this point. And then memory has hiccupped. We rode along Bar Lane, off the A659, to Clifford. But before that we must have crossed back over the River Wharfe, and I cannot remember a bridge. Maybe we flew.

And Clifford provided a road I have ignored for a long time, a steeper approach to Bramham. Good to gasp and pant a bit. Out of Bramham, heading for Thorner but turn right onto Thorner Lane, which does not go there. It does go to Milner Lane which we followed to errr, Thorner Lane but a different one. Scarcroft next and more rising road to reach the Dexter again, where the whole adventure had started. Home was reached a few easy miles later, yet again I read the numbers on the garthing which told me forty four miles of riding and an impressive (to me) 1981 feet of going up. Smile time for a very good ride indeed.

Friday was a Fridays/FNRTTC 'Fen Bridges' outing to Kings Lynn and back from Ely,organised and led by Claire (aka lucretiamyreflection).

6 in total and a mild night with rain and a good old Fen headwind on the way back.

Some photos(only 1 bridge in them);

Denver Sluice

The steed by Whitefriars gate,Kings Lynn

Stopping by Art Deco garage(now a tool hire shop) and South Gate in Lynn;

Riding out of Lynn

Marshland St James old railway station

Bridge over the river Delph

Think the conversation was "So will we be too early for coffee and pastries? Thankfully answer was no so a double espresso from Silver Oak coffee and a kanelbullar cinnamon pastry from Grain Culture was very much enjoyed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3810117071

Last edited:

Cavalol

Guru
Smidge under 35 miles today. Millennium Path to Parkgate on the old Cube Peloton. Met a mate from work couple of miles from mine and off we went. Not as hot as we initially thought it would be, but 'no jacket required'. Came back along the river ,(Dee) into town, found a Motorcross place I'd not seen before so watched for 5 minutes or so as various youths and men were razzing round. The two stroke bikes seemed far more fun and dare I say better round the track. Abandoned (probably broken down then vandalised, or more likely stolen) Skoda, a freight train at Hawarden station and some interesting birds (egrets, hawk, buzzard etc) and good bomb up Sandy Lane hill on the way back. Bike struggling to stay on biggest chain wheel, but fine on the middle so will get it to the brilliant LBS (Bren Bikes) when I get chance.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I met Andy G in Ludlow. He had sorted out a route based on an old SHC one. So we would be guaranteed some superb scenic riding. We were not disappointed. Rain was about but we managed to dodge most of it. Just a bit of wet road for a short time. We found a lovely spot and sat on a convenient log for our picnic. Lots of Buzzards, half a dozen Red Kites, a Raven, some Bullfinches and several singing Yellowhammers. Lovely outing. 66 smiles.

KingswayRider

Über Member
Club ride number seven of the year today ..... four months after club ride number six. Great to be back out there with friends on a group ride again. Eight of us turned up this morning, so we made the obvious split of three intermediates and five on the social ride. Most of us on the social ride took one look at the profile of today's 42 mile ride, (650m of climbing and two big hills and a couple of short but very steep ones), and worried whether we were up to it. In the end, we were very well matched and we all made it up to Selsley via Middleyard comfortably. After a fast descent into Stroud, we then almost immediately took on Dudbridge Hill, Walkley Hill and Butterrow Hill all in one continuous climb, before following the high road along the South side of the valley to Brimscombe. Brilliant views across the valley all the way, and very little traffic. Three of us got off and pushed when shocked by a short but brutal little climb just around a dark corner in the woods and just before the final descent.

After a great little outdoor cafe stop on a river bank near Brimscombe, it was back across the main road and up yet again to follow the high road back along the opposite side of the valley and into Stroud along Thrupp Lane. This time, all the great views of houses along the hillside were of the road we had just taken in the opposite direction, and I couldn't help feeling quite impressed that we had all done it. By the time we got back, I'm guessing we were about an hour behind the Intermediates. A shame we didn't see them at the cafe stop. According to a lady on the next table, @KingswayRider and the others had only just left when we got there.

What a great day for a ride, and what a great route. Loved every minute of it. Off for a relaxing bath now.
Cheers, Donger.
Cracking ride...

KingswayRider

Über Member
Took another beasting on the club ride today. Only 35 miles but, (to mix my metric and imperial measurements once again), 565m of climbing, much of it steep. We headed off through Stroud and along the Bath Road towards Nailsworth, turning up Culver Hill to take the high road along the valley edge through Amberley and Theescombe. I was the one at the back for most of the climbing, so I wasn't able to stop and take any photos of the fantastic scenery, but it was all very enjoyable.

After descending into Nailsworth, the next bit was up, up, then up again through Shortwood and Horsley to Nympsfield .... and most of it just about on my gradient limit. I got off and pushed a couple of times, but it was all worth it for the views. Another great route created by @KingswayRider . The reward for all the climbing was a swooshing 1.5 mile descent down Frocester Hill, with great views of the Severn down below in the distance, and a great little social stop in Jim and Lisa's garden in Frocester. Tea and cakes were wolfed down before our flattish return via Frampton and Elmore. Another great club ride.

Cheers, Donger.
Sorry about the steep bits...some nice little lanes made it worthwhile.

KingswayRider

Über Member
A great 44.8 mile ride for me today. A club ride across the Severn, taking in every quiet little side road that approached the river at the opposite bank to my usual stamping ground. Minsterworth Church, Rodley Sands and The Strand (near Westbury-on-Severn) all made the subject of little riverbank detours before we headed off into the hills along beautiful little lanes via Flaxley, Blaisdon and Longhope.

Today's big hill was at Longhope, up the A4136 through Little London. Our route planner (@KingswayRider ) had plotted a little beast of an optional detour up a side lane called Old Lane at this point .... I dipped out and chugged my way up the main road instead. As we passed the side road, I caught sight of the lane I was avoiding and knew instantly I'd made a good call. The kind of wall a lizard would struggle up :eek:. One by one, all the others except for @KingswayRider ground their way past me, having aborted their attempts on the wall. I got to the meeting place a few seconds behind the last of the others, and @KingswayRider had somehow got there before me.:notworthy: I suspect EPO.

After another couple of little detours down side roads, there followed a painstakingly sanitised cafe stop at Birdwood Garden Centre, then we headed home via Two Mile Lane, Highnam and the bridge at Over. Apart from what I took to be a deliberate ridiculously close pass on the Bristol Road in Quedgeley near the end of the ride, this was another thoroughly enjoyable club outing. Apparently Garmin was down, so ...I think they'll find... none of the others' rides counted. My "Flatnav" and Halfords trip computer were fine, so my 44 miler does count, and gets me over my 250 mile target for the month.

Cheers, Donger.
I don't know what you were all doing up the main road in Longhope - I'd started last & took the longer & steep option, climbed higher & descended back to the main road before anyone made the top. I'd done 25 miles & 200m of climbing before the start of the club ride (17.5mph ave), then enjoyed a sociable potter around the route (& detours), finishing up with 65.5 miles & 662 m ascent. Good company as ever. That close pass was definitely deliberate - swerved inwards with no need to given we were on the white lane that borders the left turn lane, with two lanes straight on, which is where he went too. All I got was 57 plate red VW...makes me think about having a camera - but need one that will last multiple hours.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Another day watching the trees opposite breakdancing a bit too much. The wind seemed a bit less by 7pm so another early evening ride. Double yesterdays number of cyclists seen, six and all in the first couple of miles. Intent was to go to Menwith one way or another and back on Penny Pot, but heading to and through Hampsthwaite to the west the sky was full of dark clouds. A quick change of plan and up the eastern Clint Bank in a new PR. North to Burnt Yates Crossroads and east down Whipley Bank matching my best time for the third time, maybe need to touch the brakes a bit less. Along the Ripley bypass and beyond Killinghall the wind did not seem too bad as I headed upgrade still on the big ring, but then as elevation increased the wind gathered and the front mech got changed. Five minutes from home it started drizziing but then stopped rather than being followed by a downpour.
11.34 miles@13.8mph avg 866ft climbed

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
I normally try to do longer rides on Mondays but as the weather forecast for tomorrow is for heavy rain most of the day I went today instead in the sunshine. A route was planned to hopefully avoid the packs of motorbikes that have suddenly appeared. I started off to Northwood, turning towards Bettisfield, Welshampton, Breadon Heath, Coptiviney, Ellesmere with lots of cars parked on Swan Hill to avoid paying to park the other side of the Mere, Lee, Hordley, Bagley, Weston Lullingfields, Baschurch, Eyton, Myddlewood, Marton, Burlton, English Frankton, Brown Heath finding a slightly lost looking lady cyclist who I was able to reassure that she was going in the direction she had hoped to get to Tetchill, into Loppington, Wolverley and home. Lots of cyclists, horse riders and dog walkers about and succeeded in avoiding the motorbikes. 33.6 miles @16.1mph.

Mike_P

Guru
makes me think about having a camera - but need one that will last multiple hours.
The two issues are how long a battery lasts and now much you can record on a sd card. The latter can be lengthened by recording at a lower resolution. With spare batteries and sd cards multiple hours should not be a problem, and a battery charging block connected to a powerbank in, for example, a top tube bag, will allow batteries to be recharged on the go. My 4k camera has a battery life of around 75 mins and at full resolution a 64mb sd card lasts 2hrs21.

Last edited:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride yesterday - the 50Km challenge ride... was my only available day to do it so although rain was on the forecast I set out - 50K in no rain so I decided to make it 100...

Blaby - Wiloughby Waterlys - Cosby - Dunton Basset - Frolesworth - Claybrooke Magna - Withybrook - Shilton - Brinklow -Caithron - Easenhall- Brinklow -Caithron - Easenhall (again)-Pailton - Monks Kirby (then another loop to coal pit lane and back down again - purely to add 7k) - Claybrooke Parva - Ullesthorpe -Gilmorton - Kimcote - Bruntingthorpe -Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby - 107K in total

Of course just after leaving Easenhall (approx 70K in) it poured down. So I got soaked - still nice ride - was even complemented on my bike - didn't quite catch what the person was riding, possibly another Burls Ti frame.

First ride in about 5 weeks too so I'm feeling it still haha

JPBoothy

Veteran
Smidge under 35 miles today. Millennium Path to Parkgate on the old Cube Peloton. Met a mate from work couple of miles from mine and off we went. Not as hot as we initially thought it would be, but 'no jacket required'. Came back along the river ,(Dee) into town, found a Motorcross place I'd not seen before so watched for 5 minutes or so as various youths and men were razzing round. The two stroke bikes seemed far more fun and dare I say better round the track. Abandoned (probably broken down then vandalised, or more likely stolen) Skoda, a freight train at Hawarden station and some interesting birds (egrets, hawk, buzzard etc) and good bomb up Sandy Lane hill on the way back. Bike struggling to stay on biggest chain wheel, but fine on the middle so will get it to the brilliant LBS (Bren Bikes) when I get chance. View attachment 538222

View attachment 538223

View attachment 538224

View attachment 538225

View attachment 538226

View attachment 538227
I passed the Skoda myself recently and my mate kindly pointed out that it was still newer than my car. That is a nice route that I do myself occasionally but will sometimes vary it by crossing to the other side of the Wirral for the return journey via Port Sunlight and Eastham etc.. A bit busier with traffic though :okay:

Top Bottom