Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Coast to Coast via Connor Downs .... Lovely morning warm and dry at 0700hrs ....
19 mile bimble ......

Hayle Copperhouse Pool

JPBoothy

Veteran
Thanks. Blue Anchor, West Somerset, nestled between the sea and Exmoor.
Aha, I thought it looked familiar! We have stayed at the Holiday park there twice and we loved it. To have a Steam train passing through 'which we rode on too' was fantastic. I used to enjoy sitting on the decking watching the Anglers with a beer in my hand as the sun set like in your photos. There are so many nice places to visit in that area but, I wouldn't fancy cycling that massive climb out of Lynton/Lynmouth though :okay:

Aha, I thought it looked familiar! We have stayed at the Holiday park there twice and we loved it. To have a Steam train passing through 'which we rode on too' was fantastic. I used to enjoy sitting on the decking watching the Anglers with a beer in my hand as the sun set like in your photos. There are so many nice places to visit in that area but, I wouldn't fancy cycling that massive climb out of Lynton/Lynmouth though :okay:
Yep, it really is a lovely place to live, especially with a west face rear garden for the sunsets over North Hill, the beach, steam train and sea.

That would be Countisbury Hill, an absolute beast (although Porlock hill the "other" end of the road is simply ridiculous). I know two local lads who have "Everested" Countisbury Hill (it rises above the highest sea Cliffs in England).

pjd57

Veteran

Out with my mate at 08:30 .
Heading to Balloch. Used roads for most of it , avoiding A82 as much as possible.
Didn't stop , headed through past Duck Bay and then over the hill to Helensburgh. Decent path parralell with the road for most of the way.
Coffee stop and a quick visit to LBS.
My mate went in to buy some oil as he felt his chain needed a bit .
Guy offered to come out and put some on free !
Nice gesture , but he bought some.

Home via Cardross and Dumbarton.
I'd been wary of the road along to Cardross but it was fine.
Settled on NCN from Dumbarton home ....for lunch

bluenotebob

Veteran
Today was my last possibility to do another long ride in July. It’ll be 33 degrees tomorrow and Friday – and I can’t ride far in that heat.

I put the bike in the van and drove to Mauron to start my ride. I rode all the way down the tarmacked Voie Verte to Questembert (Bel Air) and back. Plenty of other cyclists out today enjoying the sunny weather.

110km of mostly traffic-free cycling with gentle gradients…a lovely day out on the bike.

Some cyclists on the Voie Verte near Petit Gournava

The Voie Verte passing through Pine trees N of Molac

Dark46

Veteran
Quick 10 mile loop doing a systems check as after changing wheels and adjusting gears.

Attachments

• 20200729_175600.jpg
    20200729_175600.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1

Landsurfer

Veteran
A warm early morning ride out from the campsite to the beach then the first half of the Portreath to Deveron CTC.
Do not be taken in by the large hill .... its a gentle rise along farm tracks ... 13.8 miles in total.
Bikes been feeling a little weird on the last 2 rides, this morning i realised that the headset was grinding so some zen cycle maintenance this afternoon for my 10 year old granddaughter ....:smile:

Last night I went out again on a club ride for CX racing type people on CX/Gravel bikes. A mainly off road ride over 28.5 miles , the off road being gravel tracks, dirt tracks and bumpy fields, good for rattling the fillings out of your head. Only 6 of us, a 15yr old, one guy in his 40's , 3 of us in our 50's and a 70yr old.
It was our usual point and shoot format, go like a bat out of hell for a few miles off road, wait for everyone to catch up then go again. On the road sections keep together.
The only guy not running tubeless got a puncture 5 miles from the end, and he begged us not to wait for him so we duly obliged and left him on his Jack Jones.
One guys water bottle cage nearly undid itself and 20 miles in I got a bee stuck in my helmet and got stung. We stopped and one of the guys had some leatherman pliers so we got the sting out. Was not too bad on the night but I look a bit worse for wear this morning. Right eye nearly closed and cheek badly swollen.
I am giving a link to my strava activity only really to show homage to the 70yr old who even though a bit off the back, off road at times was right on it on road. When I grow up I want to be as fit as him at his age
https://www.strava.com/activities/3835027715
20200730_094548(1).jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Very excited as tomorrow is the long-anticipated booked visit to JD Tandems in Gargrave to have a long test ride on a new electric-assist Orbit Velocity tandem... after missing out on a big life-event holiday with Mrs A_T booked for October we decided to blow the lot + the sale of our 12 year old Polo on a new tandem instead! [I still get cold sweats at how much one is but I'm fighting it- they don't come up on the second hand market!]

There may be a much loved 2014 Viking tandem on sale soon!

MntnMan62

Über Member
Yesterday was my birthday. My wife bought me a massage session with our masseuse which was scheduled for the morning and was heavenly. Didn't sleep well the night before and laid down for a nap. Then my mind was doing everything possible to avoid a ride. Finally, I mustered up the motivation to get my act together and head out in the 93 degree F heat. Incredibly since it was mid afternoon, the sun was at an angle that created lots of shadows from the many trees in the area and the temps as I rode through the portion of my route that goes through a 2,000 acre park were delightfully cool. I was able to do 21 miles and for about the third time I clocked at just over 12 mph average speed. Just knowing that I am showing some increased strength made me feel good. And of course the ride itself was also very nice. It always clears my head a bit during these stressful times. I'll say that I was probably covered in much more sweat than I have from any previous ride thus far this summer. And it felt good. Afterwards I took a nice long shower and treated myself to a leisurely shave (classic shave with shave brush and manually whipped lather and a double edge razor) before heading out to dinner with my wife and son at a local favorite restaurant that has set up a tent outside with seating spread very far apart and all staff wearing masks. I had some tuna sashimi with noodles and seaweed salad as well as a deliciously creamy ricotta cheese mixed with pistachios and olive oil over some toasted rustica bread. It took them a bit to fix the less than sashimi grade tuna they tried serving me at first. My wife had ordered the same thing and her's was very different. No fat veins at all. Mine had lots of them. So I returned it. They made it right. And I allowed myself a Vesper Martini, 3 parts Bombay Sapphire, 1 part Ketel One, 1/2 part Lillet Blanc, served chilled straight up with a lemon twist. My favorite summer beverage this year. And this morning I woke up to find that an antique barbershop lather bowl that I found on the e of the bay which wasn't supposed to be delivered until Saturday is now out for delivery this morning (Thursday). All in all, it was a good day to start my 58th year.

strava-2.png

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Belvedère de Tréchauffé on the tandem with the lovely Mrs Tuesday.

Feat. 37 miles, 4000ft climbing, 37 degree temperature, 24 hairpins in ascent, tartiflette, faiselle, one front puncture on descent (eek!) and more sweat than I thought was physically possible - my sandals were squelching by the summit.

Top Bottom