Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mines_a_pint

Beautiful day near Tring Hertfordshire this morning.
8AFD5A79-52EF-413C-A863-0B23C086A55E.jpeg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I headed out through the lanes together for a pleasant pedal together. She had plans in Colwall so we parted at Bromsberrow as I headed over to Much Marcle. I took the run along the flanks of the Marcles to Trumpet. On the lane to Munsley the noises from my rear hub were dreadful. Then everything stopped. The rear hub had seized and the skewer had vanished, presumably because the skewer had been acting as an axle and had worn through. Fortunately Mrs 26 responded to my calls for help. I'd walked for about an hour by the time the rescue vehicle arrived. Now for some bike fettling. 30 smiles. Smiles as always despite the broken bike. It was a very pleasant winter's day for sure.

bagpuss

Guru
Well another sunny day ,so with my pass stamped,off i went for another local twiddle . First port of call was Tutbury on the Derbyshire,Staffordshire border .
Here I layed siege to the Pretty Peckish wagon for an early lunch .
Tutbury has a great deal of history and been on my door step it can be easily missed . A link all about it here .
http://www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/tutbury.htm
I could not access the grounds of the castle ,but a picture of one of its turrets from a distance.
50729362188_e6965a397b_z.jpg Tutbury Castle . by rebalrid, on Flickr

The road to the village of Hanbury affords some fine views across the Dove valley .The southern edge of the Pennines {The Weaver hills} can be seen .
50730193042_32f8bb865e_z.jpg The Dove valley . by rebalrid, on Flickr

Hanbury village its self was devasted during WW2 when 4,000 tons of munitions went up .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Fauld_explosion

Hanbury Hill common is well worth a visit if you are a wheel .There is however no parking for cars .
50730095256_d16d090dbd_z.jpg Hanbury hill Staffordsire. by rebalrid, on Flickr

Returning home via Anslow a road side party was in full swing .They all looked well stuffed.
50730095796_a54b0eaae8_z.jpg Stuffed . by rebalrid, on Flickr
Crossing the River at Marston on Dove and home via roads I travelled by bike more times than I can remember .
Tomorrow is another day

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Met up with @Rickshaw Phil and Doug, for another after work ride. Set off with full winter layers on, as it felt quite cool when I set out, but I think it kept warming up for the whole ride and I was too warm by the end.

We followed virtually the same route that I took on Tuesday, with a couple of questionable overtaking manoeuvres, from cars, into the path of oncoming vehicles on the busy road to Annscroft. Also an Audi who went onto main beam, in a lit built up area, just as they reached us:wacko:

Before Condover, the road surface is horrific and as we approached the bridge I head Doug’s bell ding, as he hit one of the potholes. He then shouts me to stop, as we’ve lost Phil.....I turn and can see Phil further back up the road, so we pull into a gateway and Doug tells me he heard something clattering on the road, so I assumed Phil’s light.......then Doug realises it’s his rear light!! Just as I’m about to head up to Phil, he sets off down towards us and says he’s managed to find the lens off the light but no more. Doug then realises the back of the light is still there, but the batteries have gone. Phil sets off back up the road and does a couple of sweeps, but can’t find the batteries and so we have to put Doug in between us for the remainder of the journey!

We‘d had a strong headwind for the first half, or so, of the ride, but enjoyed the nice tailwind from Condover onwards.

14.96 miles at 11.3mph avg.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A nice early evening ride with @gavgav and Doug (my brother).

Doug and I made our way to Meole Brace where we met up with Gav then we proceeded into a milder than expected headwind through the village and onto Longden Road headed for Annscroft. This road was a little busy with the evening traffic but most behaved fairly well round us apart from a couple of iffy overtakes and someone coming the other way in Annscroft who decided to go onto main beam just before they got to us - left us seeing spots.:headshake:

Turning off this road it was a bit quieter on the way to Exford's Green and Stapleton. The traffic we did meet was more polite. The A49 crossing took a little while as we got streams of traffic from one direction then the other but the lane to Gonsal was quiet.

Turning northwards by Ryton we picked up the tailwind and made some good progress towards Condover but had a bit of an issue when Doug hit a bad bit of road and his rear light fell apart. I managed to retrieve the lamp lens but the batteries were nowhere to be found and it turns out we've lost the weather seal too. That left Doug without a light but fortunately he had a good lot of reflectives so for the remainder of the ride we had him in the middle of the group.

With the tailwind we continued to make pretty good progress and Doug didn't seem to have struggled like he did at points last time we were out. He said he'd wanted to try and press on, but it probably also helped that I found and fixed a dragging brake when checking the bike over for him beforehand.

We parted from Gav with a request to be careful of the leaf mulch, which we did and there were no further incidents for the rest of the trip.

17.6 miles for us at 11.1 mph average

Old jon

Guru
It did feel warm outdoors, there is one advantage to a grey sky. What breeze there was seemed to be from an odd direction, and the roads were damp. I wonder if they will dry out before March?

Anyway, me and Bob (Jackson, the bike) went off through Holbeck and found the canal towpath to ride all the way to Viaduct Road. This neatly misses ten or a dozen sets of traffic lights in the first three miles of riding, which is good, thinks I. Then cross the river and start the uphill stuff, Headingley was a bit quiet. Lawnswood was similar, and Bramhope, just enough to notice the lack of traffic.

Then I turned right at the Dyneley Arms, anticipating the whizzz! down Pool Bank. But it was not to be. A queue of cars and vans stretched up the hill to meet me. Slow down, ride the white line or the gap twixt car and kerb and after my slowest ever descent of Pool Bank I passed the roadworks . . .

And continued straight on, across the Wharfe and take the next left turn, signposted for Leathley. Before reaching there, turn left for the climb to Farnley, one day I will ride to Leathley just because I can. Today, though, Otley is next, and a munch stop by the weir. There seemed to be a lot of water in the river this morning. So, refuelled and ready and I took the easy way out of Otley, the Leeds Road. This takes me back to the Dyneley Arms and then to Bramhope.

After which I turned left to go up Kings Road, and decided. Cannot call it that, a random thought said to ride back via Alwoodley Gates. So then Harrogate Road to Street Lane to the Oakwood Clock. The very familiar last few miles home, the rain was only half hearted, the temperature was at least ten degrees. Of course I was smiling. Thirty three miles and 1800+ feet upwards makes the legs a bit tired, but the shower washes all that away. And the ride was pretty good too.

And the garthing did these for me to look at,

18122020.jpg

1812elev.jpg

galaxy

Veteran
Had today of work, so delivered a stack of Xmas cards on the MTB, has taken Mr Hedge Cutter over a month to complete the local lanes and with lots of rain latley some nice big puddles and water running of the fields and down the hills. Still enjoyable to ditch the Fuel Burner and enjoy the bike.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I went out to Wherstead. On the way back, I committed a school-boy error and came off. :whistle: My face met the road. A visit to A & E for a load of stiches to my chin. The second question - after where does it hurt? - was: were you wearing a helmet? A short debate followed ...

View attachment 563933
I'm glad it wasn't worse and hope you heal quickly.

Top Bottom