Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

footloose crow

Über Member
11May. Sunlight and storm

I cycle on my own for about 99% of the time. Not because I am anti social, although I probably am, but because my very recently started cycling career has fitted in largely between the bookends of the pandemic (so no clubs running) and in any case I hate getting up early for a ride. Ah excuses: just anti social then.

But nevertheless when my phone dings with an invitation to ride with my only cycling friend, my heart does respond positively and forces my mouth into an almost smile. We should cycle together more often, you would think. We are both retired. We have also reached that point in retirement when you no longer feel you are just pulling a sickie each day and take the emptiness of the diary for granted. Small things occupy great space. 'Fancy a ride tomorrow?' 'Ah but I have a blood test at 11.30 so we can't fit it in today, maybe tomorrow'. And so it goes on, two former professionals who used to juggle diaries, work 12-14 hour days, achieved great things and now panic at the idea of two things happening on the same day. This is why I hardly ever surf despite living twenty minutes from a great surf beach. Always waiting for a better day, a more perfect wave, mañana.

Thus my excitement this morning. A ride in company. New conversations. I haven't been in a shop nor met anyone nor talked to anyone except the cat or my wife for weeks, months. Apart from Zoom of course and I am not convinced that counts. I start to disbelieve anyone else is real, but maybe just characters playing their parts on my screen.

At 8am a text pings in.
The sun is out, shorts?

I used to be a geography teacher. I look at weather forecasts. 'Its going to rain heavily around 11am....and it is 8 degrees'.

Pessimist.......I will bring a waterproof.

But you don't want all this preamble. You want photos and anecdotes about close passes and funny things that happened and descriptions of the road travelled. I will try......

We meet in Tregony, a small village that describes itself as the Gateway to The Roseland, a lost land of steep hills, deep valleys and innumerable small peninsulas dividing tidal creeks. Tregony has two (tiny) schools, one shop and the largest retirement home in Cornwall. We leave quickly.

I have chosen the route. Stephen is impressed. As we drop down to sea level for the fourteenth time, skirt the fan of gravel and dead leaves that sits at the sump of all of these lanes and begin the steep ascent that will take us to yet another drop, he says "I didn't know you liked hills so much'. I didn't know either. Actually I don't. I wish Stephen had chosen the route. Mine is rubbish.

From St Just the road is merely hilly and now on the right we can see across the Carrick Roads and across to the Falmouth Docks a watery mile away There is a super yacht anchored in the Roads, its white paint flashing in the sun. The local paper said it was 75,000 Euros a week to charter. Who has that much money?

The whole horizon to the south is taken up with an ominous black cloud that is increasing in height every minute. The light contrast between this threatening sky and the sunlit, cobalt waters of the Roads is startling. Light and dark. Sunshine and storm. The cloud is moving towards us and there are grey skeins of rain between it and the rapidly darkening sea. The wind has increased and there are no yachts out today 'enjoying' the wind whipped lines of cerulean and azure waves that are still catching the light.

There is just time for a tea and a cake in St Mawes as the first drops of rain arrive on the wind and we dig into our packs for waterproofs.

Don't know why I am smiling.....its behind you! Stephen told me he was trying to photograph the bike, not me.

Its getting closer, eat that cake quickly....

Stephen is trying to remember if he did bring a waterproof.

The wind is behind us on the way back and Stephen chooses the route home. He is still talking, as he has throughout the morning, although his words are snatched by the wind. I just nod. This is a much flatter way back, although 'flat' is just a relative term meaning the use of the larger chain ring is sometimes possible. The rain has arrived, wind blown and stinging my face.. My gloves darken as they soak up the water running down the sleeve of the waterproof. I can feel the rain through my clothing. My shoes have acquired a dampness that becomes a squelch. Stephens tail light is a red fractal in the rain, a long reflective stripe in the water washed road. There is a small steam of water running off the helmet and down my neck. The wind catches the bike and shoves it bodily int the verge.

The traffic has picked up as the rain arrived and the close passes begin. Charitably I put it down to ignorance rather than malice until a tricked out and lowered red VW Golf slows as it passes, changes gear (to create an even louder exhaust?) and the driver nudges the car towards us, looking for a reaction. Stephen is cool and makes the appropriate hand gestures. I hold my handlebars tight and stop pedalling. The Golf steams off, water spraying from a deep puddle, leaving just a jet roar of engine noise and a faint smell of petrol quickly torn away by the wind. That's what happens when you think charitable thoughts. A lorry passes so close I am almost sucked into it. I really don't like this road.

We arrive back in Tregony and part ways, promising to do this again when the diaries align. I choose the quietest lanes and obscurest routes to get home, avoiding traffic. The windows of cars and vans are steamed up and everyone wants to be somewhere else urgently. I am soaked now, but the rain is easing. Those in cars have no idea what they are missing. This is an elemental experience, fighting the wind now I have changed direction, rainwater between my toes, aching thighs.

A message from my wife pops up on the Wahoo "Do you want me to pick you up?". No , I reply, I am having way too much fun.

Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 20.09.08.png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I needed exactly 33 more miles to hit a major milestone. I've been making calculations for the last few weeks trying to ensure that I had my close cycling friends Claire and @Dark46 with me to get me over the line on this one.

We ended up doing a mixed weather ride out to Arlingham and back, with a few little extra loops thrown in to ensure the correct distance. After a pleasant coffee stop at the Bell at Frampton, watching a junior cricket match on the green, I got home on 33.9 miles. The significance? That's got me past the 30,000 mile mark since I started recording my mileage back in January 2009.

I'm wracking my brains now to come up with some more long term targets to aim for. In a few weeks time I should clock up 200 club rides with my local club, and some time towards the end of next year I should complete my 100th 100km ride. Then by spring/summer 2023, if I'm still going strong, I aim to complete my second lap of the world. Do I dare to set a challenging five year target? Hmmmm...... thinks.

Cheers, Donger.

Dark46

Veteran
Great 33 mile ride with @Donger and Claire today, but at always sometime OK the ride it rained.
@Donger wanted to do 33 miles to achieve 30k miles, so that was the plan around the usual local lanes that are close to the river Severn. As usual with these 2 there is plenty to talk about which always makes for a great ride whatever the weather. I was the only one that hadn't brought any wet weather clothing, but as it only rained for about 10-15 minutes it wasn't a big issue.
For me it was my longest ride of the year so far and its all going to plan. 588297

bagpuss

Guru
Managed to avoid the showers today during my wandering which took me over both the Dove and Trent twice . For my second crossing of the Trent I used the Ferry Bridge in Burton .
Old picture as I forgot my camera .

View: https://flic.kr/p/4PJ8s3

It provides a good traffic free route into burton town centre and you can follow the wash land for a pleasent ride and it then joins up with a canal tow path in Stretton .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A fabulous days cycling around Kent. The first few miles where with @rb58, He had another engagement so had to split after an hour. I carried on with a plan to get a few Eddington numbers in the bag. I did that, finishing with 120 miles on the clock. Imperial century #8 for the year, #296 over all.
...and the weather played nice too. Cloudy at times but very warm when the sun broke through.

galaxy

Veteran
I needed exactly 33 more miles to hit a major milestone. I've been making calculations for the last few weeks trying to ensure that I had my close cycling friends Claire and @Dark46 with me to get me over the line on this one.
View attachment 588284
We ended up doing a mixed weather ride out to Arlingham and back, with a few little extra loops thrown in to ensure the correct distance. After a pleasant coffee stop at the Bell at Frampton, watching a junior cricket match on the green, I got home on 33.9 miles. The significance? That's got me past the 30,000 mile mark since I started recording my mileage back in January 2009.

I'm wracking my brains now to come up with some more long term targets to aim for. In a few weeks time I should clock up 200 club rides with my local club, and some time towards the end of next year I should complete my 100th 100km ride. Then by spring/summer 2023, if I'm still going strong, I aim to complete my second lap of the world. Do I dare to set a challenging five year target? Hmmmm...... thinks.

Cheers, Donger.
Massive acievment Mt. Well done

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
66.6 km or 41.38 mi ridden today. Quite a few cyclists out and about, with few on road bikes and the majority on MTBs or hybrids.

And I actually remembered to stop and take a few photos on the route round.

IMG_1503.jpeg

A view from Shuttlewood.

IMG_1505.jpeg

Bolsover Castle. I could have got a better photo from the bottom of the hill but b*gger that (1 minute to ride down, 20 to ride up, it's steep!)

IMG_1506.jpeg

A view from the same spot I took the castle picture but from a different angle of about 45 degrees from the first.

IMG_1508.jpeg

A big puddle full of murky water hiding all the potholes. I took a chance riding down the very centre of the road and missed the potholes fortunately.

C R

Guru
Taxi for karate lessons again today, so another ten mile spin while daughter 2 learns further ways to beat me up.

Same 10.9 mile route as last week, but no hail today, and managed a bit faster too, 17.6mph or thereabouts.

Lanes are fairly quiet still, and the few drivers I found were courteous. I think I mentioned before that it is my perception that around here driver behaviour around cyclists on the road seems to have improved significantly.

gavgav

Guru
A short ride after work, with the rarity of a dry evening that isn’t perpetuated with either torrential rain, howling wind, thunder and lightning or pebble sized hailstones…..we’ve had all of those in the last 2 days :wacko: A little bit warmer again, just down to 2 layers this time……..still not where May needs to be though. I headed over to dads, as he’s had another setback on the health front today.

Went via Meole, Hook a Gate, Annscroft, where the traffic lights are still there, 4 months later and no work has started (a colleague posted a photo earlier in the week of a sign that the locals had put up, saying the same thing!) and Exfords Green.

Called in on Dad, where he filled me in on things from today’s nurse visit. He’s not himself and it’s a worrying time. Rode home via Gonsal, Condover and Betton Abbots.

14.88 miles at 12.4mph avg.

Old jon

Guru
I will say it quietly, but maybe spring is here. Certainly looked that way, the other side of the windows this morning. And I have neglected the fixed since the first ride of the year. There is no company for today’s ride, so I will try out a new pair of shoes too. Should be fun.

I remembered to keep pedalling. Shoes clipped in and out OK, Holbeck here I come! And further of course. The short way to the Armouries and then take the riverside path to Woodlesford. Stopped here for chain adjustment, half a turn on an M5 thread, before I retired I knew all the pitches, is 0.4 millimetres. Not a lot of slack then. Moving again, up through Swillington, then down a bit before riding around the northern edge of Garforth. On the way to the gates at Lotherton I passed a group of riders. Nothing energetic, they were taking a navigation break. After the gates, Aberford is next.

I used to do this loop once a week, the bike should know it is Barwick next, but I still had to point it in the right direction. A bit of a hold up by the maypole there, not quite sure what the big wagon was attempting to do. A minute or two and it was done. More rising road on the way to Scholes, and in that village too. Then the A64. And a decision. Go to Thorner and out on Carr Lane, or stay on the A64 to Seacroft? I stayed on the A64. The alternative will be a mile or three longer, but will be used in future.

A bit of a distance on the Ring Road to reach the A58, spin out at twenty seven and a bit mph down Boot Hill, lack of practice I think. And then ride by the clock at Oakwood on my way down into Leeds. Back across the Aire, and also cross my outward path at that end of Black Bull Street. Home is now close, grin is in place, all is good. Thirty miles, 1385 feet of up, cannot be bad at all.

Pictures by garthing . . .

13052021.jpg

1305elev.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Two rides yesterday, neither of which went to plan.

Morning: Doug was free for a ride so we set out to get some gentle miles in, heading up to the top of Lyth Hill then down to Annscroft, seeing the hand-painted "Four months and no work started" sign at the traffic lights mentioned by @gavgav. After getting through the village Doug said his head was hurting and could we stop for a moment. He hit his head at work a few days ago and although it hadn't bothered him at the start of the ride, the helmet was pressing on the injury. It was now causing too much discomfort to carry on with the planned route and he wasn't happy to ride without the helmet so we cut it short and climbed back over the hill from the Exford's Green side.

9.6 miles at 9.5 mph average. Not what we'd had in mind but we did at least get out for a bit.

On the way over the hill the first time.

Evening: I still wanted to get out and go a bit further so decided to enjoy the dry evening and head up to the Long Mynd for the first time in a while. This got off to a bad start when only about 100 yards into the trip I realised the rear tyre was a rather squashy and had to turn round and fix it. The tube was cut on the inside face beside the valve and it looks like it's found a sharp edge on the rim tape - I tried to patch it but the patches wouldn't take. Some electrical tape covered the dodgy edges, a new tube went in and I set out again somewhat later than intended.

On the plus side, the delay meant that I'd missed the worst of the rush hour and although there was a little bit of impatient driving it wasn't too bad really. I was riding into the wind on the way through Condover to Longnor but the breeze seemed to be getting lighter as I went along so between Longnor and Leebotwood I was getting along fairly well and able to keep pace with a rider on a lighter bike until my turn off.

The climbing starts at Leebotwood so I dropped down the gears and trundled my way up the hill through Woolstaston. Having not been this way for a while I did wonder whether I'd have difficulty when the climb really ramped up at High Park, but managed to keep it moving. I'd only encountered one car since the start of the climb and met the second just after the cattle grid at the top.

The top of this climb isn't the end of the climbing but it gets a lot more gentle now as I wend my way across Wild Moor. One of the attractions of coming up here in the evening was avoiding all the visitors that have been wanting their fix of outdoor space. I think a few other people had the same idea as I encountered a group of cyclists and more walkers than I'd anticipated on the way to Pole Bank. It wasn't busy by any means there were just more people out than I'd expected.

I did get Pole Bank to myself to enjoy the setting sun then dropped down on the Pole Cottage side to rejoin the tarmac and turn back towards Boiling Well and the descent of the Burway. There was a nice atmospheric light during the descent which my photos haven't managed to capture. I had the Burway to myself until the bottom where there was another group of cyclists. I'd passed them and crossed the cattle grid when the bike handling went funny and I looked down to see that the back tyre was going flat again.:cursing: I stopped and found that the new tube had a small slit on the inside face but not in the same place as earlier. I tried patching it but failed twice so had to pop in my last tube and hope that it would get me home.

This faffing about had lost me more time and it was getting dark. I did have a good run through All Stretton and Hollyhurst back to Longnor but started to find the lanes busier than I ever see them usually. The A49 is closed for roadworks at Dorrington at the moment so all sorts of vehicles were rat-running down the lanes and making my progress a bit stop-start as they struggled to pass each other. An ice cream van came past me on the way to Ryton - I wonder where they had been until that time of the evening?

At Condover I thought I'd head up to Hunger Hill and see how much traffic was on the A49. If it had been busy I could have carried on over Lyth Hill, but it wasn't so I decided to enjoy the novelty of riding the mostly empty main road.

30.4 miles this time at 11.3 mph (moving) average. Being on the Long Mynd on a May evening was fabulous. The start and the return journey left something to be desired. More tubes and rim tape are on order.

At Ryton and heading for the hills.

The view from the top of the High Park climb.

Crossing Wild Moor

Some of the wild ponies.

View towards the Stiperstones and into Wales from the summit (Pole Bank).

About to start my descent to Church Stretton.

Dropping down the Burway. Mind the step on the left.;)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The usual Wednesday night pubrun went ahead despite torrential rain. The New Inn promised dry seats in a 'barn'. I negotiated floods and lanes turned into rivers as I was lashed by the rain. The barn was a three-sided affair facing a soggy field. Every so often a chilly blast would come through the doorway behind. Beer and chips made up for it, as did the cheerful service under umbrellas.
The return journey was as wet, but also dark. My feet were soaked and cold by the time I got home. All in all, a very good evening. A damp 42k in total.
...and next week is the promise of being actually inside a pub!
IMG_20210513_203026.jpg

C R

Guru
Wet here in Worcester too. It was raining steady at lunchtime, and the forecast for later was somewhat better, so left the ride for the evening. As usual, the forecast changed, and the evening ended up as wet as lunchtime with the added bonus of rush hour traffic in a couple of places. Short ride, wet, yet somewhat enjoyable.

Top Bottom