Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
More rain today although it is much warmer and less windy than it was at the start of the week. Set off the longer way to Northwood passing a neighbours lovely Devon long wool lambs, they are only a few days old and already have a really curly fleece. Joined Ossage Lane at the Four Lane Ends crossroads and turned off to Whixall as far as Goblins Lane. Turned to Coton, Waterloo, Edstaston, Horton then on into Loppington. Turned by the pub to English Frankton, Colemere round the back of Colemere to Lyneal, Welshampton, Breadon Heath before deciding that the road from Bettisfield would probably be flooded which makes spotting the potholes difficult. Some of the potholes are huge and would really ruin your day if you hit one so I carried on up Rowe Lane to the Ellesmere road back to Northwood and turned for home. Lots of big puddles about and didn’t see any other cyclists again which is unusual. Despite the rain it was a much better day to be out.
D4693AF6-66A3-491D-AC54-2B0C1B9E06F5.jpeg

81792F3C-03A7-4FB3-B4DE-428DA5FBC0BF.jpeg

62B2918F-8364-4713-993C-95FF80D2EA66.jpeg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A metric century challenge ride today, so I was up and out early just after 7am. The BBC weather forecast was even worse than usual, predicting a 70% chance of rain for the first hour and marginally less gloomy for the rest of the morning, so I donned my rain top and waterproof overshoes. By my first comfort break on the hour, I had to ditch the rain top as the sun was out and I was boiling in the bag. Not a drop of rain in the entire ride. I had the A48 pretty much all to myself for the first couple of hours or so:

Then at 9.30 exactly, someone threw a switch and the traffic started. By then I was between Lydney and Chepstow. I stopped for a shot of the castle at the Welsh border. Haven't been allowed into Wales for ages, so this felt like a novelty:

For once I had a real strategy for this "Bridge and Back" ride, and I stuck to it, stopping only for drinks/food and the occasional photo. On the way out, I was heading into a 14mph headwind (if the BBC are to be believed on that), so I stuck to an economical, steady pace with every turn of the pedal feeling incidental, rather than instrumental to my progress. Where I hit hills, (and there are quite a few), I got my gear selection spot-on and was able to accelerate over the top and freewheel as much as possible down the other side. As usual, the traffic lights at the very bottom of the hill in Chepstow were on red, but I really didn't struggle on the climb despite a complete lack of momentum. At the middle of the Severn Bridge, I stopped for lunch:

There were a few other cyclists around by this time, though I hadn't seen a single one until 9.30. After polishing off a Ritter bar and a pint or so of energy drink, it was time to remount:

Soon back in England:

... and one more soul-destroying hill to climb on the road up to Alveston. I made it up OK, and pulled into a lay-by for 5 minutes for another glug. After that, the game plan changed. Now I had a tailwind, so from the moment I hit the A38, I ignored the pain and took advantage of the wind, completing the ride without any further stops...... other than a brief one at the top of another hill with a view across to Wales. In this one, you can see Thornbury in the foreground, The Severn Bridge to the left and Chepstow on the opposite bank of the Severn:

This was followed by one of my favourite descents, going on for a mile or more and getting me up to 35mph without pedalling. Got back home with 62.8 miles on the clock, in a time of 5 hours, 24 minutes and 40 seconds .... which just happens to be a lifetime best for a Severn Bridge Loop, beating the PB that I set back in June 2016 by a massive 20 seconds! One more photo and I'd have blown it. Out of interest, I weighed myself at the start (309lbs) and the finish (304lbs). At that weight, and at the age of 60, I'm claiming that as an unofficial veterans' super-heavyweight record. Reckon it'll take some beating. I can now hardly move, but it was worth it!
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
After being holed up at home watching rain yesterday today looked more promising. A strongish southerly wind was mild but irritating. Decided to use the Bowland fells as a wind break and rode out through Bentham to Keasden with views across to Ingleborough, then turned south into the wind and up the significant climb of Bowland Knotts. It reaches up to 410m above sea level and no one has announced spring up there yet. Descended down past Stocks Reservoir and the mountain bike Mecca of Gisburn Forest. Then on to Slaidburn and lunch. As always it is fairly busy with bikes and motorbikes. Headed west to scale the Trough and then home. 53 miles but it was the 1500 m of climbing in the wind which explains the numb feeling in my knees. Wonderful ride. Pics show view from top of Bowland Knotts looking south and the view toward the Trough.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I presumed we wouldn’t be riding today due to yesterday’s weather forecast but that completely changed this morning with no rain forecast from about 10am👍
I was out at 10.30am for a planned meet with friends Martin & Gaynor at Grimston Park gates. Our ride took us to Aldwark where we crossed the wooden decked toll bridge (bikes are free!) and continued out to York, the route included some of the Sustrans 65 cycle path.
A quick stop in York for a bacon sandwich and cappuccino and back home.
47.8 lovely miles with an average of 14.8mph.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Cloudy, blue patches, and a bit of breeze, and the prospect of a ride with company. More, I had somehow sorted out a route for this ride, and folk wanted to do it. The Spa and I (not quite a song title), set off for Slaid Hill.

Three other riders and me met there, and when we reached East Keswick two more joined up, a full rule of six, then. A stretch of A659 to Collingham, turn left to cross the Wharfe at Linton and a left turn onto Northgate Lane leaves the village behind us. Next junction, left again to head for Sicklinghall. And right at the bottom of the village, turn right. This seems to be a bridleway now, I am fairly sure it was a real road when I first used it. But that was a very long time ago.

Back to today, leave Stockeld Park and ride into Spofforth. Carry straight on, to pass the castle and reach Follifoot. One of us knew a quieter way to travel towards Knaresborough, and that was good. Cross the Nidd, the third river today for me, and turn right onto Abbey Road. This stays close to the river, and reaches the B6164, Wetherby Road, turn right here. And again, to visit the Watermill Cafe. Refuelling was a good idea.

Back to the Wetherby Road, and head in that direction. The sun came out properly before we reached Little Ribston, through North Deighton and then seemed to vanish. A bit chilly freewheeling through Kirk Deighton. Navigate the outskirts of Wetherby to Linton Lane, yup we are going back there. And back across the River Wharfe, into Collingham. All because I wanted to ride up Jewitt Lane. We all did, really.

The views are often far reaching from Compton Lane, at the top, not bad at all today. Oddly, there did not seem to be much breeze up there, but anyway, it’s East Rigton next, and from there Milner Lane is close. Today, ride this all the way into Scarcroft. Where we split, three going left, three going straight on. Up past the golf course, one more of us left, to turn right. Two returned to Slaid Hill, and shortly after that went our separate ways.

All downhill for me from there, happy about that. Even happier that I could make time for a pint or two before the final stretch to home. A big grin, nowt to do with the drink, everything to do with the ride. Fifty three miles in good company, fair weather and spring countryside. Cannot beat that. Oh, and 67 feet short of 3000 feet of climbing. I deserved that drink.

Multi tasking gp thingy does this as well as show me the way around,

09052021.jpg

0905elev.jpg

theloafer

Legendary Member
todays ride was the same as fri ..just i dragged Karon along to show her the new coffee stop which is in theory 3 miless from home . but i did not tell her we were going the scenic route ..lol though it was all on tarmac as the off road sections would have be far to wet after yesterdays rain.
we always stop at high Hulam farm. as karon likes to see if the peacocck is about, (not to day) lots of peahens , goats and the pigs.

we then headed straight to first coffee at Eppleby and was shocked to find it overflowing with cyclists. at least 30 plus

coffee and scone devoured... headed through manfield -stapleton then in to darlington .out along whessoe road to longfield road to pick up the A167 cycle path. we had to stop at the A1M classic car place as karon was admiring ... this beauty

then it was straight to the cozy coffee for more cake today i had ginger cake and karon had the cherry, as time was getting on .. was due my second jab at 4-30 headed home via the town ... another great day on the bike though her legs are a tad achy lol 40 miles done
Short ride he said.... i will take it easy on u he said lol.... | Ride | Strava

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Flippin eck, after the seemingly endless winter, we finally had some warm weather today, I even put some shorts on! I started out with the usual ride on the quiet lanes and over the glider school. Folk were arriving and preparing their gliders for a days flying, but nobody was up so far. Further on I dive into the forest and ride along enjoying the vibrant green hue under the morning sun.

Onwards towards Wildech, the sun is getting warmer all the time and it's great to feel its warmth after so many months. Through the sands of Wildech, I founder in the soft ground and push for a few metres.

I ride on, the trail turns to perfect gravel and my average speed is high as I ride towards Angelsbecksteich and from there up onto the Teifantal. The heather is grey and dull in the sunlight, it will be a few more months until it's in bloom and providing a blaze of colour.

Riding on I soon come to the big dipper, a steep sided dell that is great fun to ride down and up the other side.

From here it's soon back into the forest for a few kilometres as I swing south and start to head back towards home. The forest roads here are great fun to ride, from basic tracks, to wide open gravel fire roads, all looping and twisting between the trees.

Before long we're in Reberllah and the temperatures are close to 20 degrees. There's a strong headwind blowing as we head out onto the last gravel roads. The wind is not enough to knock the temperatures down, but it's slowing my progress. The forest here is thinning out and flanked by freshly ploughed fields.

Before long I'm making the last turns onto the country lanes and from there into home. 49km's in wonderful warm weather, I've been looking forward to a warm ride for so long now and feels really great to finally get one.

Mike_P

Guru
1pm Sunday :sun:; Bibshorts on, along with the rain proof jersey and different shoes to see if an annoying creak on the Defy was cleat related. Up Humps and a Hill

The bike was nicely creak free and I found roads that were to be surface dressed this week had not been^_^ NCN67 through the showground covid vaccination centre, with the advantage that the gate on showground hill was open, and thereafter due to rider incompetence the chain and front mech had a falling out:sad: Up Rudding Hill and left the NCN to head down Haggs Road – closed recently for resurfacing it transpired to be extensive patching and not as extensive as it could have been:thumbsdown: That brought me to the fourth character ABC of Spofforth

…hang on the observant reader thinks did you not go through Grafton last Sunday? Well, yes but that strictly is the latter half of Marton-cum-Grafton so was skipped as being too much of fudge.

The sun had vanished and the clouds were looking a touch threatening as I headed across the floodplain for a potentially tricky right turn off the A661; an approaching motorist gave me right of way. North east to Little Ribston with a procession of PRs, okay there was a c 15mph SSW wind. The odd spot of rain then fell as I headed north west through suburban Knaresborough and Scriven to Lingerfield.

East to Farnham and north west through Copgrove to Burton Leonard for a pause at its convenient shelter.

Continued north west in a PR for a brief downhill skirmish with the A61 at Wormald Green and west to Markington; rain set in. I did ride out of the rain following once again the route of NCN67 up the climbs of Hob Green and Drovers Hill to reach Bishop Thornton.

Down to Shaw Mills and then the long drag to the summit of Clint Bank; down the eastern bank, leaving the NCN route, to Hampsthwaite, up Rowden Lane and Burley Bank and home through the country park.
34.72 miles 2241ft climbed 13mph avg

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1st century ride of the year for me today .
Joined the easy riders group to stoney cove , an old quarry (?) thats been turned into a diving centre .Very steady 65 miles to start with as the group was firmly in the pensioners special group although when im 69 if i can still ride at that pace i will be happy :smile: , on the way back we had to stop a few times to hide from the cloud bursts .
When we got back me as another rider decided to round it up so we rode to fradely junction for a cake stop then spun it out to make the century .

100 miles at steady average of 16.2
1620660945861.png

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A day of two halver weather wise for me today . Sunshine to start with and heavy showers and thunder to follow .
Couple of pictures from my wanderings .
Somersal Herbert Hall {Derbyshire} dates from about 1564 View attachment 588096

The view from Roston common,just before the rain set in .

View attachment 588098
we must have stopped 3-4 times hiding under trees as it was torrential at times

Landsurfer

Veteran
Struggled this morning ... set off without any real direction in mind, just a random Sheffield ride after school run .....
Parked up in a small car park near Tinsley Bridge which turned out to be next to a knocking shop !! . I've parked there with the kids on Sundays for canal walks but never noticed .... Doh !

The Prologue .....

The eventual route wandered along the 5 Weirs Walk ... which is .... 5 weirs along the Don ... This particular weir, complete with new fish ladder, is near the Wicker and Cobweb bridge.

In the centre of Sheffield there is this new cycle / pedestrian area funded by the “EU”, never heard of them myself, as with all works by Sheffield Council it has a piece of baffling “Urban Art” in amongst it .... why ??

Once we made Steel in Sheffield !!!!

And to the turn, Coopers Bridge ... not it’s real name but what it’s called locally as Coopers Car Spares are just over the bridge. I fish here for wild brown trout and grayling, Tenkara fly fishing ...
Coopers one side of the bridge, Cadburys the other ... ^_^

Old jon

Guru
Bright and breezy, yet again! Someone had planned a ride, too. No way I was staying at home today, take the pretty bike out of the shed and ride off to Scarcroft, there is a change.

After the contingent from the other start point arrived, off we went along Thorner Lane. Which does not really go to Thorner, but does go to Milner Lane. Along that, turn right and soon find another Thorner Lane, which we follow to Bramham. Clifford next, along Windmill Road, then the first bit of the A659 for today. Off that and onto a bike track to Thorp Arch. A different way through Walton after that, different to me that is, then go find Rudgate, which travels north ish, sometimes called Roman Road.

A right turn takes us almost to Tockwith, after which a left turn makes sure we miss Long Marston. One more near encounter, with Hessay, and then Rufforth and a munch stop. This is something to take time over.

Pedal south now, and find the York Road that we ride along to Wighill. However did we navigate without GPS? Anyway, to Tadcaster from there, and away from Tad on the A659. A different bit. Bear left, this is signposted Stutton. A right turn goes up the hill to Red Brick Farm, carry on and find Toulston Lane, which goes all the way back to Bramham. That is the circle finished, but not the ride. Or the weather. Back to Milner Lane, we reached there and the rain started. Not far now though.

But roads are longer when they are wet. And the drop from the ridge top to Scarcroft was covered in horsefeathers (to be polite) Slippery stuff, negotiated safely. Across the A58 and there were three of us left. Up by the golf course, still raining. Tarn Lane, turn left, rain almost stopping. Two in the group after Slaid Hill, then solo. I did not care that the rain had started again, almost home I was. Fifty nine miles, two and a half thousand feet of uphill, freezing cold and smiling, ‘cos I will soon be warm and dry. What a great ride that was.

And the garthing does so well, never bothers about the weather . . .

11052021.jpg

1105elev.jpg

Timed that well! Thundering now, but snuck in a quick utility ride this evening. 12 uneventful miles until a youngster flew round a tight bend in Chester on his mountain bike, lost it, missing my back wheel by 2 feet and ended up on his arse the other side of the road. Checked him out, scuffed up hand and leg but will live to cycle like a maniac another day! A few sage words of advice followed from G. Fondo's book, "Great Ways to Kill Yourself on a Bicycle" :okay:

Top Bottom