Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
steady 35 miles with club mate yesterday afternoon, we even had a cake stop after 17 miles , it was that kinda ride :smile: but in or defense he was on night shift and last sunday had an off due to a car being on the wrong side of the road and he went over the bars and got some road rash .He is renowned for not being mechanically gifted and i could hear the occasional clunking noise from his bike and i had a once over and the crank arms were wobbly so we rode to the LBS who luckily had a BB in stock so changed it there and then , i reckon he keeps that shop in business :smile:
obligatory photo of me at the cafe
1620368764410.png

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the Roubaix for slightly hillier ride today. Met David & Suzanne and set off to Thorner via Aberford and Barwick in Elmet then back towards home via Bramham, Clifford and Tadcaster. We added another small loop to Church Fenton for lunch on the airfield and to check out some super cars, very nice.
31.7 miles with an average of 15.1 mph.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
First ride for nearly 2 weeks due to work needing doing... 24 miles in the breezy morning sunshine up to Matfen. Very quiet today.

Just noticed one of the end caps has been lost on my handlebars... it was a Specialized one too... ah well, a good excuse to buy that bar-end mirror I saw in Decathlon!

Attachments

• 7598B5B0-FC71-43F9-9F2B-9B303A4BF647.jpeg
    7598B5B0-FC71-43F9-9F2B-9B303A4BF647.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 5
  • B924DB59-B59D-48D5-A7C1-6AD95D585FFD.jpeg
    B924DB59-B59D-48D5-A7C1-6AD95D585FFD.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 4

Landsurfer

Veteran
Friday ... Grandsons at college in Sheffield full time but on a Friday he’s only in the building between 1130 and 1340, so i drop him off, go for a ride and collect him to take him home.
He lives with us.

The route .. 14.9 miles

Along the Blackburn Meadows cycle track there was a really strong smell of garlic, patches of wild garlic along the pathway, the smell was lovely.

And 20 meters further on the smell changes from garlic to bluebells ...

Free Parking in Sheffield .... :laugh:

Another attempt to see how the Scott is fettled. About 95%, I'd say. Target, all being well, was 20+ miles.
All chainrings available, for the first time in a while. Some shonky changes, though. Then again, the great majority were clean and quick. I will try to fit the newer set of chainrings again without disturbing things too much.
Quite busy on the trails, more cyclists than walkers. Road traffic, where I met it, was horrific. A cross between bank holidays and rush hours. Eeek.
Otherwise uneventful. Occasionally too cold, occasionally too warm. Oh well.
Stats:

At least both bikes work now! :biggrin:

theloafer

Legendary Member
was meant to be a short trip to check that i put rear wheel back together right after a p*****re fix the first one in 2 years (e-bike with electric shifting) was not as daunting has i thought ..lol ended up going my usual fri ride mostly off road .
altered route and headed straight to Winston-Eppleby for first coffee + scone, then on to Darlington. thought i would give Patches lane a try .. prefer it to cycle path along side the A167 .
it was a little rough but manageable lol. on reaching Coatham Mundaville straight over to Brafferton to find the Cozy coffee (a converted bus ) on my own doorstep that i just found out about..:okay: . the cake was very yummy, it then started to rain just as i finished so ended the ride cold and wet but Karon had run me a hot bath when i got in :wahhey:.. just short of 40 miles a good day out .better than working ^_^
cozy coffee ride | Ride | Strava
W2W route 715

first ford of the day... one day i will ride this lol

coffee at Eppleby

Patches lane

2nd ford rode this one ^_^

the Cozy coffee

bluenotebob

Veteran
As we’re out of the third lockdown (but still subject to a 7pm curfew) I made an early start (early for me is before 12) to what I hoped would be a longish ride. I headed north via Gaël and Loscouët-sur-Meu. Over the Rance (for the first time this year) and up the steep hill into Plumaugat. I realised that I had a chance of doing more than 84km today – my Loony Ride target for 2021 – so I followed the Rance west to Lanrelas, then across country to Eréac. I wanted to avoid the very busy D793 to St Launeuc so I took a small road south that I thought would link with the D76 near la Hartelois. I passed the Château de la Bruyère (I’ll go back again and take a photo) and sure enough, after a steep climb, I hit the D76 and headed W towards Trémorel. Home via Illifaut, Ville Jallu and Kerminy – a route ridden so many times that I think I could do it with my eyes shut.

86km in just under 5 hours cycling time – and home a good 90 minutes before the start of the curfew (which will be 9pm after May 19 – that will be much better).

A long-distance view of Plumaugat

The ‘baby’ Rance at Lanrelas

I'm having a right total hip replacement next Wednesday.
Cool, take it easy and get better quickly!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Got out the classroom at 5pm and by 5.30 I was out! Out on my road bike for the first time this year (I've been riding my MTB and my tourer instead) and woah I loved it. MOST excitingly, it was my first clipped in ride for nearly four years. I thought I'd retired from clipping in but it was absolutely fine. I feel hard as nails now.

Lovely 23 mile loop through Pewsey Vale. Baby calves, baby lambs, birds in the hedgerows. I was a happy girl. Got home just in time for dinner to be put on the table. Perfect.
C30AAAA3-3021-4BA9-99DF-1A6497324AAA.jpeg

Landsurfer

Veteran
Got out the classroom at 5pm and by 5.30 I was out! Out on my road bike for the first time this year (I've been riding my MTB and my tourer instead) and woah I loved it. MOST excitingly, it was my first clipped in ride for nearly four years. I thought I'd retired from clipping in but it was absolutely fine. I feel hard as nails now.

Lovely 23 mile loop through Pewsey Vale. Baby calves, baby lambs, birds in the hedgerows. I was a happy girl. Got home just in time for dinner to be put on the table. Perfect. View attachment 587656
That was a posh dinner then ... Veal, Lamb and Pheasant .... You teachers .... !!!! :laugh:

gavgav

Guru
Second day in a row for an after work ride. Marginally warmer and much less windy than yesterday, so dispensed with one of the layers, still needed 3 though, which really shouldn’t be the case in May.

Set out through the nearby estate, then through Reabrook and along the cycle paths to Heathgates. Along Whitchurch Road, through Sundorne and then followed the old canal path to Uffington, before getting out onto roads again to Upton Magna and Atcham.

The road between Atcham and Cross Houses suffered from its known rat run status, being especially bad on a Friday rush hour, with most going too fast or close.

Eventually got onto the A458 for a short section, after waiting for streams of traffic, before finishing with lanes to Berrington, King St, Betton Abbots and almost collapsed with shock that they’ve finally fixed the sunken manhole cover near home, only taken them 3 years!!

16.17 miles at 11.9mph avg

Mike_P

Guru
Winter has been really angry and keeps on storming back ... sun..rain.....hail... Calm enough though this evening for a shopping trip on the ebike. Choice of routes severely limited by too many roads being surface dressed this week:sad: Even then encountered a road closed sign which was quickly discounted as being an issue as postie cycled in the opposite direction, and had a false start by forgetting the D lock; cycle stands at Morrisons are a touch too public to risk leaving a visibly unlocked bike even if the ebike has an inbuilt wheel clamp. Largely the same route in both directions with the use of the Starbeck branch of NCN67 and over the level crossing on the A59 without getting held up. 10.19 miles, 545ft gained. Figured the 5 bar light battery indication on the handlebar control unit is probably quite accurate - started out with 3 lights and the mobile app saying 47% (41-60% range = 3 lights) and ended with 2 lights and 22% (21%-40% range).

Friday 7th

Bike selected; CGR, as it's my work-bike
Weather; cool, no cloud, blue skies, slight breeze
Photographs from today; unless dated otherwise
Geograph used; to illustrate points not covered by my own images (& to give a map location)

Nothing much, just a trio taken on my ride home from work, taken at the other parts of the woods from this trio
Taken on my ride home from work, it was a nice evening, so I came back along a short section of the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal, crossed the River Calder, & rode along its banking to NewLands Woods

Ramsdens Bridge
A recent replacement for a rotting (vehicle permissible) swing-bridge
This is cycles/foot-traffic/horses only
It's generally kept in the 'closed to canal'position, & can be wound open, to allow boars to pass, with the same key used from lock sluice gates

At the foot of the (now closed) footbridge, next to the swingbridge
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2974612

On the 'trash-screen bridge, that helps to protect the grade 1 listed Aquaduct
Looking upstream on the River Calder

These thumbnails were taken on 26th December 2015, the same day Tadcaster Bridge collapsed, due to extremely high water levels
I've run.... well, waded............. over there when it's been not quite that high!!

587701 587702 587703

Further up along the banking/old railway line

When time comes to leave the banking & head for home, I have to drop down here, avoiding the remnants of a stone wall that's partially buried
Execute a right turn, avoiding the protruding/angled roots
Which takes me past this, after less than 100yards; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2084981

As seen before I drop off.......

Last edited:
Top Bottom