Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hyslop

Veteran
Just a quick local blast, partly to experience what it feels like to be hot and sticky,a sensation Id not felt for some time,and partly to get that "new" bike feeling again having just brought the bike back from the LBS with a new rear block,chain and bar tape.End result? A sticky but enjoyable couple of hours:okay:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My third ride in Languedoc this morning. As ever, beautiful sunny weather - though I was up and out by 7.00am to avoid the worst of the sun. Dropped down through the village and down the gorge again before heading out through the vineyards once more.
2015 misc 002.jpg 2015 misc 006.jpg
Followed my trusty flatnav out to Roquebrun, where the sun's rays were just starting to hit the bridge over the River Orb.
2015 misc 005.jpg 2015 misc 008.jpg
Then carried on up the valley past another beautiful little village called Ceps, where I dropped down into the valley bottom via a steep little hill with a hairpin bend, and onto the old stone bridge. Here I had to do a little fettling to a loose gear cable. A few club cyclists from the Audax Beziers club rode by and asked if everything was OK - which was nice.
2015 misc 009.jpg 2015 misc 011.jpg
By the time I hit the 12 mile mark, I turned back for home. Saw dozens of club riders out and about today, proudly wearing their club kit. Most were from either the Audax Beziers or Gaz-Elec Beziers clubs, but saw others from clubs called Narbonnais, Autun and l'Ardechoise. Even one from Calais. Almost all were heading in the opposite direction from me, with the exception of this lot from Gaz-Elec Beziers, who I saw catching me up fast on a hairpin bend. I took a tactical photo break so as not to be sped past and left in their wake. I was giving a debut overseas airing of the Kingsway CC kit today, so didn't want to let the side down. All ten of them said a cheery "Bonjour" as they passed.
2015 misc 018.jpg 2015 misc 016.jpg
By the way .... the bushes in the background in my selfie are absolutely everywhere round here. Anyone know what they are? Mrs Donger and I think they might be Oleanders. Anyone out there know?

I hear the heatwave has hit Britain now. Hope everyone back home enjoys it .... but take my advice and go out very early in the morning and not in the heat of the day. Enjoy your rides. Cheers, Donger.

Attachments

• 2015 misc 009.jpg
    2015 misc 009.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 46

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
That's very kind of you Bobby; thanks. :laugh:
I would visit more often but I'm not keen on cycling the A78, and the alternative over Loch Thom is quite a climb! :okay:
@Brandane

I've cycled the A78 a couple of times, nothing compared to some roads I've been but they know if they hit me, it'll b like hitting a hippo

I said class not a fat ass...

The boat is still here whereas it was to leave much earlier today..

must be tough negotiations going on at Cappielow:okay:

Hyslop

Veteran
My third ride in Languedoc this morning. As ever, beautiful sunny weather - though I was up and out by 7.00am to avoid the worst of the sun. Dropped down through the village and down the gorge again before heading out through the vineyards once more.
View attachment 94557 View attachment 94559
Followed my trusty flatnav out to Roquebrun, where the sun's rays were just starting to hit the bridge over the River Orb.
View attachment 94558 View attachment 94561
Then carried on up the valley past another beautiful little village called Ceps, where I dropped down into the valley bottom via a steep little hill with a hairpin bend, and onto the old stone bridge. Here I had to do a little fettling to a loose gear cable. A few club cyclists from the Audax Beziers club rode by and asked if everything was OK - which was nice.
View attachment 94560 View attachment 94567
By the time I hit the 12 mile mark, I turned back for home. Saw dozens of club riders out and about today, proudly wearing their club kit. Most were from either the Audax Beziers or Gaz-Elec Beziers clubs, but saw others from clubs called Narbonnais, Autun and l'Ardechoise. Even one from Calais. Almost all were heading in the opposite direction from me, with the exception of this lot from Gaz-Elec Beziers, who I saw catching me up fast on a hairpin bend. I took a tactical photo break so as not to be sped past and left in their wake. I was giving a debut overseas airing of the Kingsway CC kit today, so didn't want to let the side down. All ten of them said a cheery "Bonjour" as they passed.
View attachment 94572 View attachment 94574
By the way .... the bushes in the background in my selfie are absolutely everywhere round here. Anyone know what they are? Mrs Donger and I think they might be Oleanders. Anyone out there know?

I hear the heatwave has hit Britain now. Hope everyone back home enjoys it .... but take my advice and go out very early in the morning and not in the heat of the day. Enjoy your rides. Cheers, Donger.
Now that looks just my sort of thing-looks lovely-I see myself on a sit -up and beg,cordurouys and floaty shirt,Panama,part Monty Don,part Van Gogh(smaller though):okay:Have fun!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
12.3 miles this day, with a little climbing thrown in for good measure. I took the Schwinn Impact out for a spin, wanted to see how it handles as an expedition tourer before my independent pancake tour this weekend. A very nice bike, able to handle all surfaces and terrains, and the occaisional downhill as well. There are a few hills around here, and, as my independent pancake tour takes me to a town called Downs, more may be in store.
Hilly%20Road_edited-1_zpsmmqhkgl0.jpg
Here's the Impact, leaning against a road sign. Drop bars work out well on this bike, the final culmination of my 26" tourer project.
Schwinn%20Impact_edited-1_zpsy2elcxaj.jpg
Chicory and windmills, ever present companions on my visit to the ridge and its wind farm.
Windmill%20and%20Road%20Junction%20with%20Chicory_edited-1_zpsgdjpoziz.jpg

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Despite not feeling alert and awake this morning I was itching to get the bike out again by the afternoon. I had missed my Monday ride due to driving down to Cornwall and back and spent Tuesday shopping with Mrs ID.. time for a spin. Hottest day of the year? Nah... cloudy but humid here, still high 20's though.
Ended up doing a 52km loop, tried to avoid the really steep and sharp climbs and kept my fluids up, but largely felt OK when I was going...just turned into a pool of moisture whenever I stopped to take a photo! Went through a threatening looking weather phase where the skies looked mean and thundery but stayed dry.
Some pics, basically I travelled out around the lanes following the river Otter then climbed up over the hill that then descends down past the back of the Exeter Airport.
DSC01694.jpg

This crop has some way to go.
DSC01715.jpg

..but this one's nearly ready.
DSC01704.jpg

I crossed the river a few times, very unusually there was a Great Crested Grebe out here but it drifted back to hide in the reeds as I stopped on the bridge..honest!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
@Donger. Those bushes are indeed oleander. People have died after stirring a drink with a twig from one. They do grow in the UK, but aren't very hardy and are hugely prone to scale infestation.
Great part of the world to cycle in, I've been to several of the places you mention.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My fourth, and longest, ride so far in Languedoc. Boy am I going to miss this place in a couple of days time. Over 30 miles this time, down the gorge and over the river at Cessenon sur Orb, then across the plain to Saint Chinian. Didn't like the look of the traffic there, so headed back via the quietest, sleepiest little road I could find, which went up and up through the villages of Pierrerue and Cazedarnes.
166 Cazedernes.jpg 165.jpg
Crossed the River Orb yet again near Murviel les Beziers and carried on past yet more vineyards and olive trees alive with cicadas. Came across a classic French chateau nestling among the vines, almost out of sight. Delighted in cruising past a local club rider with apparent ease and giving him a cheery bonjour

167 Orb bridge near Murviel.jpg 170 Chateau de Mus.jpg
Opted to return back to the villa the long way, up and over Mt Peyroux. By this time the sun was getting hot, and I had to pull over in the only bit of shade I could find to glug down the last of my water. This little olive tree just had to suffice.

170a Shady olive tree.jpg
My throat was dry as a bone by the time I got back to St Nazaire de Ladarez, where I stopped off at the boulangerie for a baguette before plodding up the vicious little hill on foot in scorching heat. These are the sorts of rides I was dreaming of when I took up cycling 6 years ago. All my training rides and club rides are really paying off now, and I'm able to go wherever I want without worrying about the terrain. That's 93 miles so far this week in 4 pre-breakfast rides. Can't recommend Languedoc highly enough everyone.
Last ride tomorrow. We're having an easy day of it around the villa, so I'll probably put in another 30 miler - throwing in a few hills. Lovin' it.
Donger.

Extended ride to work earlier as its such a lovely morning up here in the shire. Left the house at 5.30 and headed through Bothwell, across the Clyde into Blantyre before heading through the villages of Carmunnock and Thorntonhall. From there it was a loop out to Eaglesham before I reluctantly turned back towards EK and work. In work, showered and at my desk for just after 7am with 45km under my belt.
Its just a pity we there aren't more mornings like this. Nearly forgot to mention that it was such a nice morning that I used Colnago no.2, probably too good a bike for a commute but what the heck

BSRU

A Human Being
Very physically hard evening at work yesterday not getting home until 11.45pm meant I was very tired this morning especially as I had no dinner because I just went straight to bed:tired:.

Managed 61.5km with 670m of going up. Felt tired and lethargic at first:tired: but picked up in the last 20km as I think my two breakfasts and half a gallon of tea were taking effect^_^.

Some short lived shade was very welcome:sun::sun::sweat::sweat:.
C0051(1).jpg

A very rare sight, only 3 in 9 years, in fact the first time I have ever seen a recumbent south of Swindon which is quite hilly and probably not ideal recumbent territory.
C0053(4).jpg

Now munching on some home made cookies to replenish my glycogen stocks;).

ScotiaLass

Guru
Not long back from a cracking 16 miles...with my boy!! :hyper:

As you may know, he has a few issues, including Aspergers, ADHD and Dyspraxia (balance problem).
I had arranged to take him out today and he still seemed keen this morning, so, never one to miss an opportunity to get him out, we did just that.

Only a few minor wobbles plus a scraped shoulder due to an inconsiderate cyclist speeding through a tunnel and scaring him, which made him wobble and fall against a wall :cursing:
I carry a first aid kit so covered the scrape and all was well!

I took it very steady and kept a close check on him but he didn't moan at all. He enjoyed our lunch stop at the Falkirk Wheel (and a splash in some water to cool off!) and we got an ice cream and headed home via the Union canal.
It took much longer than normal, but it didn't matter....he did it and enjoyed it!

I am very proud of him!

ma_boy.png

My boy!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Not long back from a cracking 16 miles...with my boy!! :hyper:

As you may know, he has a few issues, including Aspergers, ADHD and Dyspraxia (balance problem).
I had arranged to take him out today and he still seemed keen this morning, so, never one to miss an opportunity to get him out, we did just that.

Only a few minor wobbles plus a scraped shoulder due to an inconsiderate cyclist speeding through a tunnel and scaring him, which made him wobble and fall against a wall :cursing:
I carry a first aid kit so covered the scrape and all was well!

I took it very steady and kept a close check on him but he didn't moan at all. He enjoyed our lunch stop at the Falkirk Wheel (and a splash in some water to cool off!) and we got an ice cream and headed home via the Union canal.
It took much longer than normal, but it didn't matter....he did it and enjoyed it!

I am very proud of him!

View attachment 94765
My boy!

I've always have had a problem with balance, (was the despair of the gym teacher!) but never been diagnosed as anything. I do find that cycling helps.

Top Bottom