Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Diggs

Veteran
Today was definitely just a gentle ride to the park for a coffee and ABSOLUTELY NOT IN ANY WAY an overprotective dad checking on his son's unaccompanied trip to the park with his friend.
sunday ride.jpg

park 13sep.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Decided to head to Brimham Rocks today again albeit clockwise compared to last Sundays anti clockwise route. Headed direct to the toll bridge over the Nidd and then followed last weeks route in reverse to the rocks. This is one that I completely missed last week, presumably hiding in the glare of the sun.
Brimham 2.jpg
and these are the ones I took last week looking straight into the sun
Brimham 3.jpg

From there I continued north, leaving the eastbound NCN688, to the Pateley-Ripon road (B6265).Headed east and then used a couple of narrow lanes either side of the village of Sawley to reach almost Fountains Abbey but then headed south following the westbound NCN688 and then NCN67 through Markington. Possibly because of the lighter winds and lack of the normal westerly, I clocked up a number of PRs including Drovers Hill, approached by a downhill bend.
67 Hobb.jpg

Left NCN67 as usual to head direct to Ripley where on regaining the NCN, which has relatively recently been modified so that you do not have to use gates, found one cyclist who seems to have a fear of cattle grids (maybe ought to have posted it in the cattle grid thread)
67 cattle.jpg

Turned out to be 3 miles shorter and 500ft less climbing than last weeks trip. The last two photos are presumably the last freeze frames from my Lidl Sports Camcorder as it has developed a fault on its display which is showing most details in mirror image and then either going blank or the display moving so that all but a small bit of the display is off screen. Started on Friday, when it also stopped recording, and I boxed it up to take back on Saturday but before I did that thought I would take a video of it only to find it working okay. Stayed okay until I headed out this afternoon but at least it recorded the ride. Think I will replace it with a Go Pro Hero.

Smashing apples. No, smashing apples, as in hitting them hard with a large object. This being the reason for not getting out on the bikes until 2pm. A friend of a friend who we did not know had offered to press any excess apples our friend had, he didn't, we did and we spent a very pleasant couple of hours making apple juice and making new friends, two of whom coincidentally are cyclists. Six litres of apple juice later and we have to get out and ride.
The weather was excellent, almost no wind, 19C and no rain in the forecast, which wasn't the case last night. Some rides are fun and some are just plain hard, this was the latter because dr_pink is racing The Cat & Fiddle next Sunday and one of her competitors is Dame Sarah Storey [for the 2nd time in 2 weeks], and having been away at a conference for 3 days training has been nil, this was going to be hard.
Not a lot of flat in the 30 miles we did and every hill was ridden as hard as we could, including one at 16%, on fixed
A snatched photo taken whilst climbing, in the time it took to remove camera from back pocket she had gone!
244709C2-90BB-406D-A432-D8F98EC14A1C_zpsplrgk2rm.jpg

It took a certain airborne object to bring us to an abrupt standstill, a Vulcan bomber! A lot of expletives ensued as we tried to manipulate phone cameras in sweaty, slightly shaky hands, this was the best we could do
1F45E752-7DC0-4C83-B570-3459BDFBB121_zpslopqlu3q.jpg

We found out later via Twitter that there had been a private air show in Coventry.
A tough workout and probably too little too late for next weekend, but enjoyable in a masochistic sort of way. If anyone is in the vicinity of The Cat & Fiddle next week it will be good viewing.

D

Deleted member 1258

Smashing apples. No, smashing apples, as in hitting them hard with a large object. This being the reason for not getting out on the bikes until 2pm. A friend of a friend who we did not know had offered to press any excess apples our friend had, he didn't, we did and we spent a very pleasant couple of hours making apple juice and making new friends, two of whom coincidentally are cyclists. Six litres of apple juice later and we have to get out and ride.
The weather was excellent, almost no wind, 19C and no rain in the forecast, which wasn't the case last night. Some rides are fun and some are just plain hard, this was the latter because dr_pink is racing The Cat & Fiddle next Sunday and one of her competitors is Dame Sarah Storey [for the 2nd time in 2 weeks], and having been away at a conference for 3 days training has been nil, this was going to be hard.
Not a lot of flat in the 30 miles we did and every hill was ridden as hard as we could, including one at 16%, on fixed
A snatched photo taken whilst climbing, in the time it took to remove camera from back pocket she had gone!

It took a certain airborne object to bring us to an abrupt standstill, a Vulcan bomber! A lot of expletives ensued as we tried to manipulate phone cameras in sweaty, slightly shaky hands, this was the best we could do

We found out later via Twitter that there had been a private air show in Coventry.
A tough workout and probably too little too late for next weekend, but enjoyable in a masochistic sort of way. If anyone is in the vicinity of The Cat & Fiddle next week it will be good viewing.

Unfortunately the air show was the other side of the city to us and we didn't get to see it, though my youngest son who lives close to the airfield did.

You were very lucky - one of the very last flights ever of XH558, the last flying Vulcan.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Got out today sans bike.

Left Ambleside at 7.15am and knocked off the Fairfield Horseshoe with a big twist.

At approx' halfway point of the round my hiking buddy and I made the steep descent from Fairfield to Grisedale Tarn followed by the equally steep ascent of Dollywagon Pike. We then headed along the ridge to Helvellyn then down Striding Edge, back up Swirral Edge to regain Helvellyn summit.

Then back the way we came to Fairfield followed by completion of the Horseshoe - the ascent back up to Fairfield was tough.

10 Hrs 20 Mins - hefty day but very satisfying, :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After a few weeks or struggling to get a decent ride in, I managed to get myself out this morning. A few friends were on the Cynthia charity ride today, but I wasn't awake early enough to join them. T'was a touch of lazyitis after a busy day yesterday and a bottle of wine and a few beers last night....:whistle:

I took the CX today as I wanted to ride some of the river and canal banks towards Stoke Bruerne and then onto some nice quiet back lanes over to my side of town.

IMG_20150913_130455.jpg

IMG_20150913_130602.jpg

By Rothersthorpe Locks, I spotted these two wiry characters. They are both made of scrunched up bits of wire fencing etc. I must have ridden past them last week and been looking the other way or summat as they don't look to be brand new additions to the canal bank.

IMG_20150913_130805.jpg

After riding past Gayton Marina and over the bridge to get back towards Northampton, I was onto tarmac for 10 miles of so.

IMG_20150913_130702.jpg

Spotting smoke coming from over a hill, I stopped to check if there was a problem. Nope, just the farmer burning stubble after the harvest. I did think that this had been banned actually. I'll ask a farmer friend of mine next time I see him.

Heading vaguely in the direction of Salcey Forest, I rode through Courteenhall but didn't use the bridleway this time as it would have been a bit muddy for the CX I thought.
After traversing Salcey, without a coffee or cake stop, I wasn't too far from home.

IMG_20150913_130735.jpg

No racing today, or I wouldn't have used the Brafield Road. It's Murder Mile when the track is open!

On the last mile or so, I stopped to pick some blackberries for pudding this afternoon. Just enough for a bowl each for Mrs Pete and I.. :hungry:

After a shower and getting changed, I rode over to No1 daughters house to pick up my Granddaughter and ride back home as she was staying for dinner today. A couple of hours later, we rode back to hers again.

Back home from the main ride on 35 miles, but probably just over 40 for the day by the time I'd finished.

https://www.strava.com/activities/391235789

:smile:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Virgin territory for me today. I flipped Kirklees the bird for once and headed on a NW bearing to take in Denholme, Oxenhope, Haworth and Bingley.

I actually rode THROUGH a mountain!
DSC_0371.jpg

Follow this road (stolen image from Google)...
perseverance.jpg

and it takes you here...
DSC_0372.jpg

which just goes to show perseverance pays off!

Some nice hills and someone's nice greenhouse in the village of Leeming...
DSC_0373.jpg

More hills! A big chimbly! That'll be Haworth!!
DSC_0374.jpg

After Bingley, the picturesque stuff was thin on the ground (sorry Saltaire, Calverley, Farsley and Thornbury but that's the unvarnished truth) but I did get an insight into how that intercity cycle route is coming on...
DSC_0375.jpg

Err... yeah. Right. Moving on...

42 miles with 3,078 ft of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/391219495

:okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A very sedate Belles on Bikes ride for me today, in glorious sunshine ... really, don't you believe me? ^_^
@flyingfifi and I set out first from out of town, meeting the other girls at various points along the route. It was a join/leave the ride any place you like, quite popular as any level of fitness will do, we go at the pace of the slowest.
Fifi started in Hamilton, I joined her in Cambuslang, the ride was to take us to Dumbarton, home of @Mad Doug Biker, along river paths and canals.
Just over 43 miles for me, elevation: practically zero :laugh:
Belles in Dumbarton.jpg Group photo
600_441931713.jpe

Picture of Dumbarton Castle perched on the rocks - Fiona's picture
We left one of the girls here to do some climbing :eek:
@Mad Doug Biker, pictured here with @flyingfifi, joined us for a bit, brought along Cindy, who et my bagel :laugh:
Fifi and Mad Doug.jpg
The obligatory shot at the big bike in Clydebank: it's starting to cloud over, but we managed to get back home just slightly damp.
belles at big bike.jpg

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days

I can't match a Vulcan bomber for my ride today, but I was passed at high speed (a little too closely for my liking, actually) on Clarks Lane by something almost as rare, an B-reg (1964) Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato...

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
After Bingley, the picturesque stuff was thin on the ground (sorry Saltaire, Calverley, Farsley and Thornbury but that's the unvarnished truth) but I did get an insight into how that intercity cycle route is coming on
I used to live in Farsley... 2 New Park Grove, to be precise. Loooong time ago now, though.

Top Bottom