Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Proof if it is needed that I can on occasions find sunshine on my bike! After spending most of the day painting the outside of my house, by 4pm I decided I deserved a wee cycle. So out came the Specialized Secteur and we headed up the Brisbane Glen to Loch Thom. Traffic was heavy as it usually is around 5pm ......

IMG_1925_zps4fxitfzd.jpg

From Loch Thom, there is a nice long descent to Inverkip, just where the Clyde opens up and turns south. On the opposite bank of the river is Innellan, south of Dunoon.

IMG_1929_zpsjb6fgplp.jpg

The ferry was just pulling away from Wemyss Bay on its 30 minute journey to Rothesay, birthplace of all Brandanes. Yes that IS people in swimming just off the shore. It was warmish but not THAT warm! Cumbrae is to the left of the ferry, south Bute to the right, and Arran behind Bute.

IMG_1931_zps4gtjh9iw.jpg

Heading back towards Largs, there is a minor road that I take to avoid the crazy A78 which is fast, winding, and narrow. Not nice for cycling at all. The price to pay, as always, is a climb. The reward is this view over Cumbrae, the south end of Bute, and the hills of Arran in the background. The light was fading a bit by this stage, and I was glad of my Lezyne rechargeable front light which I bought a few months ago at a good discount. At last I can start using it in earnest! Strava for tonights ride.

IMG_1935_zpshbpqxhcq.jpg
Stunning. You really do have spectacular views up there.

13 rider

Guru
Target for today was Sept 50 mile ride I am doing the half century challenge and I've challenge myself to both a 50km and 50m each month with the 50 km already done time for the 50m .Had arranged to meet mates at 12.30 .left home at 11.30 for a few miles for meet up. Anstey ,Cropston, Swithland ,Woodhouse Eaves, Quorn , Rothley and Cossington to meeting point .Sat on the bench in glorious sunshine waiting for both mates to turn . The first time we will have rode together since early July and Steve first ride since August 2nd. Right on time both Steve and Andy turn up. Out on our normal easterly ride up Humble lane ,Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington ,Hoby ,Asfordby then across the A607 and out on the quiet lanes around the back of Gaddesby to Ashby Foeville then Gaddesby . On the run out of Gaddesby towards the A607 we just clicked in to chain gang mode and were flying at 24mph taking turns on the front really enjoyable .Cross the A607 into Rearsby then back to Thrussington and back down humble lane and back to Sileby where Andy turned for home then Mountsorrel where Steve turned off leaving me on 40 miles 6 miles from home .On to Rothley Then Swithland and quick loop round Thurcaston ,Cropston ,Anstey got home half a mile short so straight on to Newtown and back 50.3 miles done at 15.6mph in glorious sunshine in great company really enjoyable ride

Last edited:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With autumn upon us & less chance of fine weekend weather I thought I'd look back at my summer rides & pick my favourite & do it again, which as it happens was a route devised & executed just a few weeks ago.

A chilly start to the day meant base layer & knee warmers were in order as I set off across the forest towards Dorset & Wiltshire again, although I'd forgotten that the New Forest sportive was on this weekend & nine miles in I'm confronted with a swarm of cyclists coming in the opposite direction to where I'm heading. It was quite a sight to be honest, young & old, slim & um, not so slim, groups, singles, couples, adults with kids & a variety of bikes, anything from mountain bikes to tandems & as it was flat most were smiling away & having what looked like a smashing time.

Once I left the forest it was back to normality as I headed through Cranbourne, Sixpenny Handley & Tollard Royal to the top of the first of todays three little climbs which at 36 miles in was time to stop for lunch & having warmed up sufficiently also time to dispense of the knee warmers. It was then on through Bowerchalke, a beautiful little village & somewhere I am seriously considering moving to, & onto the second up & down of the day closely followed by the third at Broad Chalke before heading for home via Martin, Sandleheath, Fordingbridge, where I bumped into the sportive again, & the forest.

A thoroughly enjoyable 76 miles on what was the stillest day all summer I think & I even got a Strava badge for the September Grand Fondo! ^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/395429662

004.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Gareth C

Veteran
We’d decided to have a ride up Great Dun Fell this weekend. The last real classic climb I’d done was Bealach na Ba, earlier this year. The Guardian article on “Britain’s top 10 toughest climbs” has this to say…

This is the greatest climb in England, this is our Mont Ventoux, it has no peers, there is no comparison: Great Dun Fell is simply unique. I’d waited a long time to ride this road, initially put off by its “private” status. I was to discover that there is absolutely no objection to cyclists riding it, although few would be mad enough. Approaching from either direction you see the radar station’s “golf ball” glowing like a beacon on the top of the ridge. Turn away from the village of Knock and begin opposite a farm gate. The climb is tough right away, then gets tougher still as you bend right into what is a small taste of things to come. Get through this, the first of many brutal stretches, and things back off for a while before ramping up to the first of two gates. Through the gate, straight over a cattle grid and into more hard work, the road bending left past a stone shelter, a sure-fire signal – although you are nowhere near the top yet – that you’re heading into truly hostile country. Up and up, and then mercifully dipping, or is it just levelling? Whatever it is, it makes the stretch of climbing ahead look terrifying. Approaching 20%, you crawl through harsh, boulder-littered scenery, a massive slog to the briefest of levels where the classification of the road changes – public cars are allowed no further. Now very narrow and lined with snow poles, the climb is so well surfaced it resembles a two-metre-wide carpet. And it’s so steep, close to 25% at the point where the tall valley walls disappear and the radar slowly rises over the horizon to sit above you, tracking the remainder of your progress. Through a second gate it’s easy for a while then bending right once again it’s leg-breakingly tough to the finish at the station, where, looking around you, you might as well be on top of the world.

While this is perhaps a little melodramatic, the climb up was pretty steep and hard work. However, we had great luck with perfect weather, so excellent views to keep us motivated.

gopr7962.jpg
Beautiful views back over the Eden Valley

gopr7968.jpg
The view for the next hour – generally steep road disappearing ahead

gopr7978.jpg

gopr7986.jpg
Heading into the gully

gopr7989.jpg
Rocky scenery hides a couple of 20% ramps

gopr7994.jpg
The final steep ramps out of the gully, toward the col between Knock Fell and Great Dun Fell

gopr7996.jpg
The worst of the climbing is over, and views out east of the pennines

gopr8002.jpg
The radar station comes into sight

gopr8005.jpg
The end is in sight

gopr8008.jpg
Malcolm and Adam waiting at the top

Malcolm and Adam made good time to the summit, and I met them some time later, and despite the good weather, it was cold at the top. We quickly put on some warm layers, pointed the bikes downhill and took a rest from pedaling!

Shortly after leaving the summit, we came across Alistair, still heading upwards. He was happy to head up alone, so we headed down to some sun, and waited for him to reach the top and get back to us. It was good for all the team to finish the descent together. Then a quick trip to the pub in Dufton was in order to celebrate a nice “tick.”

Katherine

Guru
A glorious sunny morning in Shropshire, with the mist clearing and no wind!! I braved shorts, but went for warm jacket as it was :cold: when I set off at 9am.

My favourite short route, up Lyth Hill and then down to Exfords Green, through Stapleton, Ryton and Longnor, before turning North through Frodesley, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Cantlop and Betton Abbots.

Unfortunately the only real thing to report was some dreadful driving by an articulated lorry driver at Cantlop. Firstly he came up to a junction from my left, on his mobile phone, not looking to his right and sensing he wasn't going to stop I applied the brakes as he finally looked to his right and stopped about a quarter of the way into the road, meaning I had to swerve around his cab.:cursing::cursing:

I continued down the hill and where it flattens out I was doing about 25 mph as he came up behind me and overtook me into the path of a tractor and 2 cars, forcing them to do an emergency stop and him to swerve back in front of me and almost fetch me off. The 2 cars stopped a little up the road and I wonder if they were exchanging details to report him.

I was seething, but kept my calm and pulled into the side to pop his registration plate into the notes facility on my phone. It was an unliveried lorry, but I will be doing my utmost to find out who it belongs to and dropping a note to the Traffic Commisioner.

21.2 miles

Glad you are ok, well done for staying calm.

We’d decided to have a ride up Great Dun Fell this weekend. The last real classic climb I’d done was Bealach na Ba, earlier this year. The Guardian article on “Britain’s top 10 toughest climbs” has this to say…

That was brilliant. I have walked it in both directions but never cycled it. I feel quite jealous. I do have a picture of the top before the golf balls were put up that shows ice horizontal to the old metal and wood masts. That would be in the late 70's early 80's

Last edited:
A glorious sunny morning in Shropshire, with the mist clearing and no wind!! I braved shorts, but went for warm jacket as it was :cold: when I set off at 9am.

My favourite short route, up Lyth Hill and then down to Exfords Green, through Stapleton, Ryton and Longnor, before turning North through Frodesley, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Cantlop and Betton Abbots.

Unfortunately the only real thing to report was some dreadful driving by an articulated lorry driver at Cantlop. Firstly he came up to a junction from my left, on his mobile phone, not looking to his right and sensing he wasn't going to stop I applied the brakes as he finally looked to his right and stopped about a quarter of the way into the road, meaning I had to swerve around his cab.:cursing::cursing:

I continued down the hill and where it flattens out I was doing about 25 mph as he came up behind me and overtook me into the path of a tractor and 2 cars, forcing them to do an emergency stop and him to swerve back in front of me and almost fetch me off. The 2 cars stopped a little up the road and I wonder if they were exchanging details to report him.

I was seething, but kept my calm and pulled into the side to pop his registration plate into the notes facility on my phone. It was an unliveried lorry, but I will be doing my utmost to find out who it belongs to and dropping a note to the Traffic Commisioner.

21.2 miles
Hope they catch the idiot...

Afternoon ride out to try to sweat out my bugs. Out by the Burghill then down towards the Stanochy. Climbed the Stanochy hill . Then headed towards the Industrial estate. Headed back into town and then out round the golf course. Then back into town and had a seat at a favourite spot of mine only to joined by a very intoxicated "manie " .It turned into a bit of a mexican stand off as i didn't want to move first as it would like i was moving cause of him. Around half an hour of Foo Fighters in my ear and me doing a bit of gentle head banging victory was mine as he staggered off.( i refrained from air guitar with the head banging as that would have looked silly ). Total of 8 miles done in the afternoon sun and my cold remains......ride safe folks....

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Went out knowing I was very close to a bit of a milestone for me - 43 miles shy of reaching 4,000 miles since I took up cycling in December 2012. @themosquitoking came to our place at which point he had just hit 4k himself. We headed down to Box Hill where I hit a PB of 9m 14s, and then looped back north. Along the way a convertible Mercedes driver sat at a driveway exit and looked at me 3 times. Just as I had a feeling he would, he pulled out right in front as I was doing about 22mph. Gave him the self-gratification artist sign and he just lifted his hand up and waved back.

The lights at the end of the road are usually busy with traffic and I got there in good time, but this time zero traffic was there. So wanted to have a little chat with him.

Anyway, headed back and had a cuppa at a mates, then went over and did a loop of Richmond Park to get to the big 4k. My first bike ride back then was on a rented mountain bike from the Richmond Park hire place, and ironically I hit 43 miles within view of the same place, just 0.2 miles before it.

Overall did 52.5 miles and a lovely feeling of accomplishment.

https://www.strava.com/activities/395628200

No pretty pictures today. Just some cake, and a random cyclist doing some well deserved stretches at the Box Hill Cafe...

PDpDQCTl.jpg

7R1RwPJl.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
20 miles this day, on the Tour d Taco, which follows a course set to include bike shops, food trucks, and pop-up restaurants, as well as some favorite latino restaurants. After 4 tacos,(the last one beef tongue) I was done eating, so I just rode along as the others stopped. I got word a fellow I worked and have known for the last 20 years just up and sold his shop, house, and things, and took off in the store van with his bicycles to follow the wind. Smooth sailing and calm seas to him. The Schwinn Impact was along for this ride. We'll see about that Trek 7200 for tomorrow.
The ride was great, but I left before the end, so I could get home and start supper and walk dogs and other enjoyable things. I could see this was going to go on for some time yet. Great weather, after yesterday's storms.
70F
20C
Winds N6
relative humidity 65%
30.10 barometer
Sunny, with clouds

Top Bottom