Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A slightly longer ride today with a couple of Cambridgeshire hills, I even had a PR on strava for Wimpole hill!

Sunny again, hedges full of autumnal fruit. Mrs Dave wants to make rose hip syrup so I was on the look out for the ideal spot, and I found it!

This bloke cycles Long with me sometimes, not sure who he is though....

image.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/396001140

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After my recent brazen showboating in the Alps, it was back down to earth with a big bump today. 11 of us set off on this, my 21st Kingsway CC club ride of the year, and for most of the ride I was trailing in 11th place, struggling to keep up with the club pace. I did the decent thing, and kept going past everyone who pulled over to wait for me. (Stops me from holding them up too much and gives them a rabbit to chase ... though means I don't get much rest).

Started badly, eating way too much Quaker's Oats before I set off, then having to race over to the start after hurriedly re-attaching all the bits I'd forgotten I'd taken off my bike while it was in transit coming back from my hols. Felt queazy, and ended up wanting to ralph my breakfast up most of the way up my first hill, by which time my rear light had already fallen off and disintegrated when I hit a bump. .... I just did over 100 miles in France and never hit a single bump, then on my first ride back in Gloucestershire I bounced my rear light off and then rattled my computer loose, losing a mile or so in the process. Despite some nice new surfaces around Stroud, many of our roads are a still a disgrace. @Dark46 helped me find the last bit of my rear light, and it's all back together and working fine again now.

Threw in 3 decent hills in a 33 mile ride today, Horsepools Hill on the way over to Stroud, then Wick Lane from Stroud to the top of the Slad Valley (with fantastic views across to Painswick), and finally up to Selsley. There, to the relief of one or two of us, we hung a right and went back down through Middleyard and Kings Stanley instead of grinding on up to the common. Back home in one big, fast, line down the lanes that make up my staple ride. ,

I said my goodbyes as we passed the end of my own road. Actually rode myself back to wellness today, feeling much stronger and much better by the end of the ride than I did at the beginning. A tad under 3 hours in all, and very pleasant it was, too. Now there's just the small matter of squeezing in my metric century ride before the end of the month. (Praying the weather holds).

Happy riding everyone, Donger.

Last edited:
Couple of rides to catch up on over this week-end.

Yesterdays club ride was a good 'un with a bit of cycle-cross style carrying of bikes in and out of a road closure:whistle: a puncture stop and some nice 'intervals' here and there;

https://www.strava.com/activities/395495073

And today a much gentler ride with the other half;

https://www.strava.com/activities/395495073

Oh and if anyone's got a nice Giant Avail(not last years orange/white one though:rolleyes:) or Trek Lexa in a small for sale I may know some-one who might be interested;).

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Ride was yesterday, but body was too tired to write something here...

Someone decided to name an Audax after me*, so naturally I had to enter. The Pedersen 100 starts in Rodborough above Stroud and takes in 106 km of narrow Cotswold lanes, climbs varying from "steep" to "insane", and mad descents. I have just counted and found a total of 18 up and 12 down OS chevrons.

After burning through some morning fog we had nice sunshine all day, the legs held out (barely), cafe stops served up some nice food, and I only had to walk one bit (downhill!). Excellent day out, but a level of difficulty I'm not too keen to repeat (until next year).

http://app.strava.com/activities/395609285

*Not really, it's named after an inventor of some fame, but we happen to share both last name and nationality

mdk1

Well I did the longest ride I have ever done this morning
https://www.strava.com/activities/395955421
I know it's not very long to what you guys normally do, but I have managed just short of 60miles this week, which I'm very proud of,
Long working hours mean I can only get out for around 30 mins each day,most of the time, but not an option on others, how do you guys get on with the darker evenings, as my normal routes don't have any street lights, mainly country lanes,
Was thinking of buying another pair of lights.

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
:bicycle:Went for a wee, quiet, quick spin today (2 hours later!! :eek:)
Just enjoying being out for a change as I've been slacking a bit this year :blush:
Met one of my wee pony pals :smile:
Saw a swallow flapping at the side of the road about 20 mins from home. Went back and managed to catch it and took it to the nearest house, the lady put it in a box with straw and bird food and will call her friend at SSPCA. :okay:
Hope the little one is ok.

Katherine

Guru
Couldn't get going this morning to allow time for a long ride, so I had fun doing an 18 mile circuit of some local hills, main roads that are quieter on a Sunday.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
First ride since a local spin on Wednesday after collecting the road bike from it's service, as I've been full of cold :heat:

So, I set off not knowing how far I'd get, but was determined to get some cycling in. Cool, but clear and sunny near home turned into murky and misty within half a mile so I was glad I'd wrapped up warm.
I should state at this point that I'd taken two Lemsip Max tablets before setting off, so I understand if this doesn't qualify as an 'official' ride...:whistle:

Up Coal Road (traffic lights still not detecting bikes...), then Skeltons Lane past the marshal for the cycling event that was clearly due (sportive?) and down to Thorner. Then out of the village up Milner Lane and the back route to Bramham.
Loop round Bramham and out on Toulson Lane, before turning right onto garnet lane, over the A64 bridge and down Moor Lane towards Stutton, where I got a very cheery hello from a lady runner limbering up at the roadside.
At Stutton I came down Fanny Lane, past the Hare and Hounds and then stopped in the centre of the village for a drink and to try and stop the infernal rattling from my new mudguards (only marginally successful). Onwards down the single track road and out to the A162, turning right up the hill and towards Towton.
Through the village, then right onto the B1217 where a sportive(?) rider (he had a number attached to his jumper) was getting directions from a local, and out past the battlefield site.
Took the left fork into Saxton, then headed out on Coldhill Lane where I stopped at Linda's Bench for a drink, a couple of pics and to watch them doing something with the power cables in the distance:
IMG_20150920_093627096.jpg
IMG_20150920_093637476_HDR2.jpg

Another cyclist passed while I was resting and asked if everything was OK, which was nice (clearly I looked worse than I felt ;) )
Back on the bike and up past Lotherton Hall and on to Aberford, then the usual route home via Barwick and Scholes - this time without the headwind :wahhey:

26.37 miles in 1hr 49m at an average of 14.4mph - the slower than usual average seems fair as I deliberately wasn't pushing on and was coasting a lot more than usual on the downhill bits.
1179ft climbed too.
I rode a lot further than I'd imagined I might when setting off, so all in all a good days riding.

Only two idiot passes today as well - one from someone in a BMW 1-series with empty bike carriers on the roof (so should bloody well know better) and the other from a woman in a Focus who decided to squeeze along the centre line on a single carriageway between me and another cyclist heading in the opposite direction...:scratch:
That said, two VW drivers were separately very courteous on the approaches to Barwick, so it's not all bad.
20092015.jpg

Katherine

Guru
First ride since a local spin on Wednesday after collecting the road bike from it's service, as I've been full of cold :heat:

So, I set off not knowing how far I'd get, but was determined to get some cycling in. Cool, but clear and sunny near home turned into murky and misty within half a mile so I was glad I'd wrapped up warm.
I should state at this point that I'd taken two Lemsip Max tablets before setting off, so I understand if this doesn't qualify as an 'official' ride...:whistle:

Up Coal Road (traffic lights still not detecting bikes...), then Skeltons Lane past the marshal for the cycling event that was clearly due (sportive?) and down to Thorner. Then out of the village up Milner Lane and the back route to Bramham.
Loop round Bramham and out on Toulson Lane, before turning right onto garnet lane, over the A64 bridge and down Moor Lane towards Stutton, where I got a very cheery hello from a lady runner limbering up at the roadside.
At Stutton I came down Fanny Lane, past the Hare and Hounds and then stopped in the centre of the village for a drink and to try and stop the infernal rattling from my new mudguards (only marginally successful). Onwards down the single track road and out to the A162, turning right up the hill and towards Towton.
Through the village, then right onto the B1217 where a sportive(?) rider (he had a number attached to his jumper) was getting directions from a local, and out past the battlefield site.
Took the left fork into Saxton, then headed out on Coldhill Lane where I stopped at Linda's Bench for a drink, a couple of pics and to watch them doing something with the power cables in the distance:
View attachment 104380 View attachment 104381
Another cyclist passed while I was resting and asked if everything was OK, which was nice (clearly I looked worse than I felt ;) )
Back on the bike and up past Lotherton Hall and on to Aberford, then the usual route home via Barwick and Scholes - this time without the headwind :wahhey:

26.37 miles in 1hr 49m at an average of 14.4mph - the slower than usual average seems fair as I deliberately wasn't pushing on and was coasting a lot more than usual on the downhill bits.
1179ft climbed too.
I rode a lot further than I'd imagined I might when setting off, so all in all a good days riding.

Only two idiot passes today as well - one from someone in a BMW 1-series with empty bike carriers on the roof (so should bloody well know better) and the other from a woman in a Focus who decided to squeeze along the centre line on a single carriageway between me and another cyclist heading in the opposite direction...:scratch:
That said, two VW drivers were separately very courteous on the approaches to Barwick, so it's not all bad.
View attachment 104383

Isn't it sad when you get a close pass by someone who is obviously a cyclist and should know better.
I had a very close pass today by a people carrier with a bike on the back. Most of the drivers I saw today were very considerate.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Still exploring the north west to find some routes when I'm here - so often to be found looking puzzled and reading a map! Anyhoo, 105Km today - Northenden - Gatley - Styal - Wilmsow - Alderley Edge - Monk's Heath - Goostrey - Twemlow Green - Plumley - Lower Peover - Goostrey - Over Peover - Marthall - Mobberley - Morley Green - Wilmslow - Styal - Gatley - Northenden .... did get lost somewhere before Mobberley but routes are looking a bit more familiar. Bet you can't guess what the photo is....

jb.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
No sunshine for me today, but it was DRY so I decided to do a one way ride using Scotrail to take me home. The Largs area is getting a bit boring now, and always involves large hills; so I bought a return train ticket to Glasgow but hopped off at Kilwinning and cycled to Glasgow. This almost turned out to be a very expensive ride, as Scottish members may notice from the Strava trail that the squiggly lines in Glasgow are centred around a certain bike shop which sells Genesis bikes. Croix de Fer 20 bikes to be more specific. Long story short - took one out for a ride around Glasgow Green. Nice bike but not nice enough (or needed enough) to tempt me into parting with £1000 (£200 discount on RRP, including Marathon Plus tyres, rack, and mudguards thrown in).

croix-de-fer-20.jpg

Passing along Paisley Road West, there was a lot of Police activity, including the helicopter buzzing overhead. The reason being that I was just in time to see a slight change in the landscape of Cardonald. The BBC pics are a bit better than my before and after effort ....

WP_20150920_11_55_27_Pro_zpsar49d6z0.jpg

WP_20150920_12_19_09_Pro_zpsqjcndpno.jpg

I should have waited for the dust to clear for two reasons. 1 - I might have got a better photo; and 2 - I wouldn't have set off riding through a giant dust cloud which was blowing across Govan!
I headed off into the city, and rode past my old college (were those good old days really 37 years ago? :ohmy:). Points to Scottish members who can identify it. The OLD name please, since there is a clue to the current name in the top left corner. It is now closed and awaiting the same fate as the buildings above.

WP_20150920_12_57_04_Pro_zpsvwzwfwou.jpg

After that it was a short hop to the bike shop where I managed to save myself £1000, then a train journey back down the west coast to Largs, where the rain has now started again.

Dark46

Veteran
Well today's ride was fun as I designed the route. I had gone for a couple of hills at the beginning and then level the route out and hopefully have a bit of a coffee stop either during or at the end.

It was good too see 10 other people ready for the ride this morning including @Donger and Andre[his 2nd ride with us] and Andy on his first ride out with the KCC.

The ride was young went @Donger's rear light decided to deattach itself from the bike and split into pieces. I helped him recover some parts, then it was off the see a some so called Superheroes cycling towards us. Including Rambo?

We then set off up Horsepools (or Edge, as I call it) at then straight into Stroud where we turned sharp left towards Wick Street and Bulls Cross.
At Bulls Cross we turned right to head down Slad Valley. Yippee!!! Aha that was a deliberate part of my plan as I love downhill sections. I set off at the back and finished 3rd at the waiting point at the bottom. I set some PB's down there and I know I can go quicker lol.

From here it was a quick run through Stroud before heading up Selsley and turning right back into the countryside once again.

So it was to the bottom of Frocester and turn right, leaving the hill behind us and head towards the A38. It was here that Andy our new recruit decide to have a moment and hit the deck.

The rest of the ride went without incident and 34 miles were covered at a average of 14mph with 1,770ft of climbing. So in happy with that, getting back into things.

It was also good to see @Largie003 and @gordyfinbar who I've not seen for a while. Also hope that @maltloaf sorts out a few things and is out with us soon

Attachments

• DSC_0063_1.JPG
    DSC_0063_1.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 38

Mrs M

Guru
No sunshine for me today, but it was DRY so I decided to do a one way ride using Scotrail to take me home. The Largs area is getting a bit boring now, and always involves large hills; so I bought a return train ticket to Glasgow but hopped off at Kilwinning and cycled to Glasgow. This almost turned out to be a very expensive ride, as Scottish members may notice from the Strava trail that the squiggly lines in Glasgow are centred around a certain bike shop which sells Genesis bikes. Croix de Fer 20 bikes to be more specific. Long story short - took one out for a ride around Glasgow Green. Nice bike but not nice enough (or needed enough) to tempt me into parting with £1000 (£200 discount on RRP, including Marathon Plus tyres, rack, and mudguards thrown in).

croix-de-fer-20.jpg

Passing along Paisley Road West, there was a lot of Police activity, including the helicopter buzzing overhead. The reason being that I was just in time to see a slight change in the landscape of Cardonald. The BBC pics are a bit better than my before and after effort ....

WP_20150920_11_55_27_Pro_zpsar49d6z0.jpg

WP_20150920_12_19_09_Pro_zpsqjcndpno.jpg

I should have waited for the dust to clear for two reasons. 1 - I might have got a better photo; and 2 - I wouldn't have set off riding through a giant dust cloud which was blowing across Govan!
I headed off into the city, and rode past my old college (were those good old days really 37 years ago? :ohmy:). Points to Scottish members who can identify it. The OLD name please, since there is a clue to the current name in the top left corner. It is now closed and awaiting the same fate as the buildings above.

WP_20150920_12_57_04_Pro_zpsvwzwfwou.jpg

After that it was a short hop to the bike shop where I managed to save myself £1000, then a train journey back down the west coast to Largs, where the rain has now started again.
Thought Langside College but probably not?
My next door neighbour, Mrs Wilson was a lecturer there over 30 years ago.
She had a white Ford Capri and went to the village shop on her ancient black bike with a wicker basket on the front.
We used to think she was mad, now I think she was cool! :becool: :bicycle:

Top Bottom