Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Today was the first proper ride for a very very long time. 25 miles in two hours, so very pedestrian and I think I got scalped by everyone on a bike in South Leicestershire. I stuck to my plan though, no faster than 15mph and put it on the small ring on any rise. So, there were no twinges from the knee that has kept me off the bike for so long, plus my heart and lungs were more than up to the job. Best thing though, I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to get out again - soon be back up to century standard again.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Today was the first proper ride for a very very long time. 25 miles in two hours, so very pedestrian and I think I got scalped by everyone on a bike in South Leicestershire. I stuck to my plan though, no faster than 15mph and put it on the small ring on any rise. So, there were no twinges from the knee that has kept me off the bike for so long, plus my heart and lungs were more than up to the job. Best thing though, I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to get out again - soon be back up to century standard again.
Next time don't be so shoddy and give us some pictures :okay:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
image.jpg
I really should have gone out yesterday. I haven't ridden for weeks (no real reason) and the weather should have tempted me out. I had then sort of decided to go fishing but when my daughter asked if we could go cycling? Well, what father could say no.

OK, we only did nine miles or so and I didn't even bother changing but a good time was had by all. Out to Brewood and down through the fields and back along the canal.

The picture is of our bikes next to 'our' oak tree.

Sorry Garath C I Made a right hash of that reply didn't I, forgot all about the quote marks. That must have been a brilliant ride in both directions. Though I must say the road looks in better condition than I remember, at one time it was little better than a cart track after the walls finished. I like that idea of a refuge. I was caught out a couple of times in right torrents of rain.

Back up to the Peak District today, well actually stayed in Holmes Chapel last night, dr_pink was racing The Cat and Fiddle hill climb today. We both rode up it first before the first competitor was off. A good day for it, plenty of cyclists out but unfortunately also a lot of nobbers on motorbikes also using it as a race track, lots of reports from competitors after the race of close passes and even some from the opposite direction which must have been truly terrifying. Is there nothing the police can do? These idiots seem to be able to ride with impunity.
Anyway after the recce, which actually is to get a feel for the wind strength/direction, the road surface and just get a feel for the climb again, it was back to HQ for 20 mins on the rollers then up the road to the start. I went off 4 mins ahead to get further up and cheer her on, once she went past I followed on a bit slower. I met dr_pink at the top and gave her a gillet to wear to descend, she wasn't particularly happy with her ride [not been a good season] but after getting changed and checking the results, discovered she had come 3rd woman behind the winner Dame Sarah Storey, so although not her quickest ride up the "Cat", not a bad result I think.
Despite other idiots on the road an enjoyable hour or so on the bike.
Sorry, no photos I forgot my phone.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nice early ride out for me today, great being on quiet roads and seeing some different wildlife, including rabbits and parakeets. Got the clothing wrong, it was cold to start so went with long sleeves and lightweight jacket, after 5 miles the jacket went, and at 7 the sleeves rolled up. Nice and sunny though, and busy with cyclists taking part in the Thorpe Park Sprint Triathlon. Out to Chertsey Bridge and home on the CX, then a slow amble into town with my lad to buy bacon for lunchtime sandwiches:hungry::hungry:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Today's trip was a tale of two towers (plus a few lumps in between).

The first tower (after 15 miles) is an old favourite and can be read up on in posts passim. Yes, it's The Arqiva Tower (which everyone locally knows as Emley Moor Mast). Today may be the first time I've snapped it in anything resembling sunshine!
DSC_0378.jpg

As this leviathan receded behind me, I copped for a great view of tower number 2 in the distance (red arrow denotes)...
DSC_0379.jpg

In fact, the bloody thing didn't seem to be getting any nearer...
DSC_0380.jpg

Eventually, tower number 2 (25 miles in) was reached! This is Victoria Tower and sits atop what is known locally as Castle Hill. The area contains remains from the late Iron Age and a 12th century castle. The tower, however, was built to honour Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee in 1897.
DSC_0381.jpg

Yeah, the cloud cover had dropped in by then. Ho hum. One last pic before I headed home was back across the landscape to tower number 1...
DSC_0382.jpg

47 miles ridden with 3,140 feet of climbing. It were 'illy. :ohmy:

https://www.strava.com/activities/396509561

:okay:

Top Bottom