Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Well that was eventful . planned a nice ride metric century for me and 50 miler for mate .Off at 0930 this morning into the mist and cold but braved shorts and short sleeved top and arm warmers it should warm up .To meeting point at Cossington via Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley .Took out normal route out via Ratcliffe on wreake ,Thrussington ,Hoby ,Asfordby then headed out to the Vale of Belvoir via Saxelby ,Ab Kettleby ,Holwell before dropping into the Vale of Belvoir at Hose .It was lovely and sunny at the top of the Vale then when we dropped down back into the mist and about 10 degrees colder .A quick tour of the villages of the Vale Harby, Langar, Barnstone, Sutton ,Redmile . As we came towards the main road became aware of cycle event signs and Marshalls on the junction turning right we were passed by a motorcycle outrider with a British cycling hi viz He annouced via loudspeaker fast bikes approaching .Yeah but I'm quick . next a event car then another outrider then you could here them coming didn't look behind just keep it straight. A peleton of 50 plus rider literally flew past at 30 mph plus some very close passes quite unnerving .I was impressed at their speed perhaps I'm not quick but some experience .Heading for Dove Cottage cafe I became Andy was struggling but we only done 30 miles and got 20 to home. Stopped at the cafe for coffee and some lovely homemade lemon drizzle cake :hungry: . Straight after the cafe we go through Stathern and up the climb out of the Vale .Andy had to stop on the hill as he got cramp he Even walked a short section something he's never done before he may be slow on the hills but he gets up them so I knew something not right .After a short rest we set of again got about a mile Andy got cramp again another stop .This pattern continued for the next three miles but he was suffering more and more and cramping everywhere .At this point I made him ring his wife for a rescue ,he wanted to continue but I was concerned about causing major harm . Thankfully he made the call and we waited for rescue .Andys good lady turned up so Andy's bike in the boot .She wasn't over sympathetic as she had warned him not to drink all that beer last night .So we suspect he was dehydrated before we started he had drank twice as much as me on the ride so that was the issue. So now solo I set off for home Six Hills ,Barrow on soar ,Quorn ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston , Anstey ., Home with 68.9 miles done at 13.8 mph . ride finished in glorious sunshine was still enjoyable despite the dramas got a text when I got home saying Andy was OK if achy after a shower

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7 miles this day, uninterrupted by flats or breaking spokes. Trek 7200 did a fine job and the corn that is still standing is dry enough to put forth a rustling cacophony in the breeze.
76F
24C
Winds SE7
relative humidity 69%
mostly cloudy

Saluki

World class procrastinator
2 rides to log today. One today, one yesterday

https://www.strava.com/activities/401581464

We rode to Nacton and back and may have got just a titchy witchy bit lost on the way home. "Lets go and look at Levington Marina" says OH, so we rode off down the hill and then discovered a dead end, unless we wanted to swim. "Oh look, a shortcut" says he who has lived here a week, just like me. Roadies are not our usual tool of choice for dirt tracks through the woods but off we went, then more dirt tracks, a bridle path which led to a tarmac road and houses but Hubster says 'this way' and heads off up another bit of bridle path. Before long we were off the bikes and hoofing it around some field or other before finding another bloody bridle path and, eventually, Trimley. Nice ride on the road home.

Today was a little more sane. I took the CX, just in case though.
https://www.strava.com/activities/401581464

We decided on a similar route to our first ride locally but headed down to the ferry so we could check out ferry times etc, ready for rides to Woodbridge or Sutton Hoo or something. Climing the 50 steps from the Promenade to the road was easier in MTB shoes than it was last time in road shoes even with cleat-hats over the cleats.
We had a nice ride. The sun was shining, it was a bit blowy but we had a good time. Only 10 miles but we were just out for a pootle after an afternoon of trying to get to grips with the front garden.

Need to do 60 miles to hit my monthly target. Might have a ride after working out at the gym tomorrow.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
5.30am is no time to get up for a bike ride.. really it's not. Especially when it's dark and cold out. But anyway...had to be done as it was my last Audax for the year. The Fairies Fall Foray 100k in deepest darkest Kent. There was a 200k route available but decided to ride down to the start and back home again, making a nice long ride anyway.
So after a huge mug of tea, a raspberry jam sandwich (with more jam then was actually needed), and a banana I was out of the door at 6am. Still dark and still cold. It didn't take long to reach the Kent countryside, making the most of the usually busy A21. At this time of a sunday morning, a complete joy to cycle.

As the sun started to rise the misty fields looked nice and spooky.
20150927_062124.jpg

The extensive (1000 acre) Fairlawne Estate (owned by the Saudi Horse Breeder Khalid ibn Abdullah) looking even more glorious as the sun rose ever more higher.
20150927_071628.jpg

It didn't take long to get the 46 miles to Brethersden. I turned up at the village hall as a good amount of Audaxers were getting their bikes off the backs of their cars and fettling. I went straight in, got my Brevet card and grabbed a cup of tea, a slice of cake and a few biccies. It was 35 miles to my first stop so needed a top up.

At 9.30am, the 100k'rs were sent off. A good mix of bikes and cyclists as these events usually attract. Everything from MTB's, Tourers, FlatBars and full on roadies. The first big hill was 5 miles in. A long drag up to Charing, and of course as is the Audax way, at the top... the photographer was waiting to catch those breathing through their ears whilst trying to put their lungs back in their bodies. Me included

From the top of the ridge is was rolling Kent lanes all the way to Faversham and Graveny, where the first control was the newly opened cyclist friendly pub The Freewheel. Brevet card stamped I was back on the road. A lot of others stopped here for sustenance, but It was too early for me. By the time I had turned east the headwind gave me a good walloping, it was brutal along the coast road to Seasalter and Whitstable. A road I have ridden many a time, usually with the wind in a helpful direction, but not today. The sea and views did look absolutely fabulous today.

20150927_112047.jpg

Pushing on I soon got to Herne bay which was about 80 miles in and it was time for a full English and a huge mug of tea.
Suitably refueled, I was back on the road within half an hour, a bit further into the wind until Reculver and then a turn west, with the prevailing winds. Such joy. It didn't take long with a nice helping hand to knock out the second half of the ride. That lovely tailwind, glorious sunshine and deserted country lanes meant I was back at the Village Hall much quicker then I had planned. In fact I was the first back which surprised me. So had the first pick of the food that was on offer. A few cheese and ham rolls, a couple of slices of cake, a handful of ritz biccies and a handful of rich teas.. oh yes and a mug of tea..well 2 mugs of tea in fact..
I sat outside in the sunshine watching all the other riders come in.
Then it was back on the bike for the ride home. A reverse of this mornings ride down. It took a few hours to get home. The wind had dropped a little and the second part of the home leg was the hilliest of the whole ride. But I kept the pedals turning, just taking in the great Kent countryside views, enjoying the lovely weather and enjoying just being on the bike. Fabulous.

So. 157 miles for the day. The last Audax of the year. Century 25 for the year and 159 over all.
Brilliant.

270915map.jpg

Last edited:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I set off this morning in misty and quite cool weather. So cool in fact that I decided to put on my leg warmers** for their first outing this year! The air felt quite cold and it took me a little while to warm up - I was glad I'd decided to go long sleeve top and leg warmers!!

(** They're actually knee warmers but on my short legs they're quite long enough thank you!! PS Castelli Nanoflex if anyone is looking for a recommendation - they're very comfy and didn't move at all during the ride)

OK back to the ride. As I got on to the tops I thought it'd be a bit clearer but no, still the mist hung around. I'm guessing it was partly because of the weather but it was very quiet with just a couple of friendly cyclists heading in the opposite direction as I headed up the Haddingley drag before heading down Windmill Lane and into Upper Denby. A few short climbs into High Hoyland before I had a nice gentle decent skirting past Cawthorne Park and then a left into Kexbrough. I knew the Dark Peaks Ride (Wakefield Hospice) was running today and as I rode past the school a guy jumped out with a home made sign "<<<< FEEDING STATION" I smiled, thanked him and carried on.

I then went up through the motorway junction and headed up past Yorkshire Sculpture Park which even this early was busy with lots of cars parked on the road and queueing to get into the car park as the Poppy Wave (from the Tower of London) is currently showing there until mid-January. (link)

A final push through Bretton, Flockton and Emley before heading home in what was now beautiful blue skies and sunshine.

24 miles and 1800ft climbed - Strava linky : >>> https://www.strava.com/activities/401174873

All in all a really enjoyable ride - I wish I could have gone further but plans for the afternoon meant that wasn't possible.

View attachment 105048
A bit of crossover with my ride today @Buck. Looking over from Denby Dale Rd only the base of Emley Moor mast was visible, the rest shrouded in low cloud. By the time I reached Scissett it was clear. Great day.

So yeah, did a familiar loop today. I like pastures new but sometimes you just like the old tried and tested. It's like digging into your favourite sandwich. I should fess that I also wanted to hammer a few PRs. My name is Berk on a Bike and I'm a Strava tart. :tongue:

Speaking of sandwiches, Holmfirth was rammed due to there being the food and drink festival on. Had I known I might've indulged. Instead I had two pieces of malt loaf and a can of Coke. That's livin' alright...

The stats: 41 miles, 2,073 feet of climbing, average speed 16mph.

https://www.strava.com/activities/401389928

:okay:

Gareth C

Veteran
Apedale

wp_20150927_10_34_12_pro.jpg
Beautiful Autumn morning

With a Sunday to myself, and beautiful weather, I headed down to Wensleydale for a 20km circuit along the north bank of the River Ure, and back via Apedale. I’d done this a couple of years ago, and the scenery is fantastic.

wp_20150927_10_44_41_pro.jpg
Looking south from the castle

The ride starts at Castle Bolton and winds through pasture land for 10km, relatively flat, mostly grassy, but with odd bits of excitement thrown in.

wp_20150927_11_56_20_pro.jpg
Last part of the Wensleydale bridleway

When the bridleway ends above Askrigg, the route turns right on a steep road climb. There’s a little reward in a descent on the road at Whitaside Moor, before the route turns off road and the climbing begins again through the mine workings to Apedale Head.

wp_20150927_12_48_37_pro.jpg

It turns out this part of my route was shared with the ‘Ard Rock Timetrial, and the guys on the course seemed to be enjoying themselves. I’m pretty glad that when I did the ‘Ard Rock Enduro earlier this year they didn’t bring us up here – it would certainly be a challenge to race this route.

swaledale-from-whitaside-moor.jpg
The view over Swaledale

At Apedale Head I stop to put on my knee and elbow pads, as I know the descent, while fun, could punish a careless move. The skills gods are kind, however, and the descent is enormous fun (and fast).

Before I reach the road, it’s time to turn right and climb the hill for a final descent to Castle Bolton.

Once back at the car, it would have been rude not to pop into the castle café for their club sandwich and a local beer. Nice!

Strava log: https://www.strava.com/activities/401465458

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Headed north eastwards today albeit with an easterly ride to Knaresborough first which I discovered the Garmin has a distinct dislike for. Now as much I would like to have believed its speedo no way was I doing 33mph through the Bond End junction:bicycle:. On uploading its data it had plainly got into a twist whilst I was amongst the trees on the Beryl Burton Cycleway but I would have expected it to have corrected once I crossed the river on the A59. The orange is the actual route:eek:
KboroGarmin.jpg

Headed north to Farnham, then Copgrove, Bishop Monkton and Littlethorpe to the eastern fringes of Ripon where a bridge over the canal seems to be set out for use by cyclists with dropped kerbs to/from the road despite no signs allowing, or prohibiting, cycling
RipCanalBge.jpg

Followed the B6265 east and turned off to Copt Hewick where the village hall has a prominent clock tower. Shortly afterwards I nearly collided with a suicidal squirrel.
Copt Hewick.jpg
Squirrel.jpg

Rainton was the most northerly village
Rainton.jpg

I then headed south east to Cundall where I got slightly bemused by the road signs as I would have expected Boroughbridge to have featured.
Cundall.jpg

Checking the map back home I should have carried straight on but instead went the long way round via Norton le Clay. From Boroughbridge I headed west through Roecliffe where at least two cyclists were in the Crown Inn
RoecliffeCrnBike.jpg

Followed the Bridleway to Copgrove and then headed back home via Ripley on familiar territory that goes up and down, at last I could coast as the ride had for the last hour or two had no sections not requiring the turning of the pedals
Occaney.jpg

46 miles in all.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Missed the club ride this morning due to a emergency visit to the vet. By late afternoon everything was back to normal. Our cat was back home and comfortable and I was getting twitchy feet. What a beautiful, sunny day in Gloucestershire today. Little fluffy clouds straight off The Simpsons:
DSCF3782.JPG
Headed off to Frampton via Elmore as usual, but did a little detour down to the riverbank at Elmore Back on the way. Came across a club mate while out taking photos in Epney, and bumped into him again in Frampton.

There is a strange custom around these parts at this time of year. People put out all kinds of elaborately dressed, themed scarecrows at the side of the road. Many of them make you do a double-take, they look so real. This one took my fancy in the main street in Frampton :
DSCF3787.JPG

Lovely light conditions over the Severn when I got back to Epney, as the Severn was glassy calm:
DSCF3789.JPG DSCF3790.JPG
A nice 23 mile ride in the end, getting back just before it got dark. Got back home to find Daisy the cat cuddled up to her brother, fast asleep..... hopefully not dreaming about vets .
Cheers, Donger.

Buck

Guru
A bit of crossover with my ride today @Buck. Looking over from Denby Dale Rd only the base of Emley Moor mast was visible, the rest shrouded in low cloud. By the time I reached Scissett it was clear. Great day.

So yeah, did a familiar loop today. I like pastures new but sometimes you just like the old tried and tested. It's like digging into your favourite sandwich. I should fess that I also wanted to hammer a few PRs. My name is Berk on a Bike and I'm a Strava tart. :tongue:

Speaking of sandwiches, Holmfirth was rammed due to there being the food and drink festival on. Had I known I might've indulged. Instead I had two pieces of malt loaf and a can of Coke. That's livin' alright...

The stats: 41 miles, 2,073 feet of climbing, average speed 16mph.

https://www.strava.com/activities/401389928

:okay:

Hah! Always good to keep it local and nothing like going for a PR to prove you're winning the battle! :okay:

Holmfirth food and drink festival also meant the Dark Peaks charity sportive had to be diverted through Honley and up to Meltham before continuing onto Holme Moss.

Last edited:
So late last night dr_pink says to me she thinks she will do the Melton Olympic Hilly 18 mile time trial today, damn, I was so looking forward to a long ride in the sun today, oh well. I rode out to the start alone while dr_pink took the exocet in the back of the car. Beautiful morning but only 6C and mist in the valleys
C3C739A9-F652-4587-A42F-DFB2956D87D6_zpsp9utopqr.jpg

dr_pink about to go
24974C16-87DD-4BA0-A20A-C1020FEE26D0_zpsmwpjrtra.jpg

Only 12 competing, 11 men and one woman, so I went up the course to get a picture but the sun was really strong so this didn't come out too
well
496E905A-1DF4-4735-8F23-4723401C6D84_zpsq9u1qrmn.jpg

So how did it go I ask, rubbish she replies, nothing in my legs today. We go over to look at the results sheet, 6th in 45mins 27 secs and the new womens course record, oh ok, bad day then.
After quite a few of us headed to The Windmill tearooms where cyclists gather from all points of the compass. A great ride there and even better we met up with quite a few ex club mates we hadn't seen in some cases for a couple of years
795DBACF-59C8-4021-9B9D-088333EDC564_zps9xgnd9y5.jpg

Let's all hope this weather continues.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sorry no pictures but my 14 yr old son and I rode into Filton to watch Bristol Rovers get pasted by Pompey on Saturday. My brother in law was up with his pals at the Pompey end so we met up in the Wellington for a pint before and after the match. Some entertaining chimp-ery from supporters elements on both sides (especially the loonies on the Pompey supporter's coach jumping up and down like a bunch of monkeys on acid).

Anyway, we set off to ride home down the "Concorde Way" shared use path through Lockleaze and round the back of Filton Abbey Wood. Just past the bit where all cyclists must give way to the never-ending stream of McDonalds customers there is a left hand bend with some railings. I got past perfectly well but heard a clangy crashy noise which was my son colliding with the railings and a bramble bush which cut his right hand up somewhat.

I could see no reason whatsoever for him to fail to get round the easy and gentle bend - until I espied some teenage girls sitting on the nearby grass who had yelled "coo-eee" or something at us. Sure enough my lad had allowed himself to be distracted by these females to the extent that he had crashed into the brambles.

Was it bad of me to laugh ?

The bike was OK, by the way.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A ride into deepest Suffolk for me here today. A slightly risky manoeuvre for someone wearing a Norwich City cap !

The country between Newmarket and Bury St Edmunds is quiet and pleasantly rolling with a few decent hills to play with.

image.jpg

The road near Dullingham.

image.jpg

After a couple of hours of quiet lanes, a few tracks and bridleways, I made it to the Maglia Rosso 'cyclist's cafe' south of Bury. I'd been meaning to swing by this way for a while so it was good to finally get there.

image.jpg

Plenty of cycling related paraphernalia in the cafe, a decent looking bike shop too and best of all, a superb plate of pasta!
Scoffed too quickly to even take a pic.

I then decided to see if I could ride through the Ickworth Hall estate to avoid a couple of busy roads.

image.jpg

Glad I did too as it was beautiful. Ickworth Hall is a lovely building.

image.jpg

The church on the estate in the sunshine.

image.jpg

Plenty of ancient oak trees here.

I winged it really from where the above pic was taken and rode a track south from the hall into a village called Chevington. The track, although road width and used by farm machinery, is technically a footpath, so little bit naughty and I was prepared to walk if anyone appeared. But no one did.

image.jpg

20 or so miles of gently rolling country followed as Suffolk blurred into Cambs.

image.jpg

Coming down off the chalk hills back onto the fen near Dullingham.

51.2 miles in total - a cracking day in the saddle.

Top Bottom