Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Back in June I failed to climb a climb and had to push the bike up. With the light winds today I thought I would attempt it again. The climb starts on a bend and then levels off for a brief moment before going up again before easing off for the final section to a crossroads. Here is the climb as it appears from the lower parts of it having come round the bend (Strava shows it as a constant upward slope)
CarrLn.jpg

At this point I realised I had not shifted the front gearwheel down and consequently lost a deal of momentum. Struggled up onto the more level section and then got about a third to a half way up the next part and stopped:angry: Oh, well third time lucky hopefully:huh:.
Headed down to Otley from the crossroads, first crossing Weston Moor
Weston Moor.jpg

An undulating section of road which on one Strava segment is probably accurately shown
Weston Moor1.jpg

yet part of that is shown on other segment as being a Category 3 climb of 27% which has "been flagged as hazardous by a Strava user":wacko:
Cut through Otleys northern suburbs to exit eastwards to Farnley then through Castley and Dunkeswick to reach Kirkby Overblow and a standard route back home albeit I went downhill through the housing estate that I managed to struggle uphill through earlier in the week.
32.4 miles and 2,335ft of climbing (albeit with a bit walked -part of the uphill bit around the 11 mile mark)
26-9 Gradient.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
6.5 miles my ride today, didn't want to get too far from home, as Mrs. GA is far away with school chums. I did have a flat, and a broken spoke(actually 2) but I fixed the flat and removed the loose spoke(the other I left for cassette removal) and rode home a bit more sedately. A very thin tire was the blame, replaced with an exact 700x32 Bontraeger I just happened to have around from another bike. Wonderful weather for both riding and fettling, and some views to be had as the corn gets harvested.
82F
27C
Wnds E 17,G 22
relative humidity 41%
Partly cloudy

Gareth C

Veteran
Almost to Scotland!

It must have been 15 years since I’d last been to the Cheviots for biking, and Doug from work had never been, but was keen to see what it was like. So Saturday morning saw us meeting in the Alwinton car park at 10am after a beautiful drive through Northumberland.

We’d decided to ride a big circuit that took us around the Salters Road that the Romans used to transport salt, then we’d planned to come back via another Roman road, Clennell Street. The weather couldn’t have been better: absolutely still, cold while standing around, but warm enough once spinning on the bike. We headed off on the quiet road to Clennell, only meeting the postman driving out of the dead-end road. A bit of tricky navigation to find the right track across to Biddle, and then back on a deserted road to Biddlestone and Scrainwood. While heading down to where we turned off the roads to start the off-road proper, Doug notices that his gears aren’t changing, so we pull over to have a look. Snapped cable! Is our ride off? Luckily, having tubeless tyres (and in case of a serious puncture, needing to remove the valve), I have pliers in the bag, so we’re able to pull the remnants of the shifter wire through and reattach it to the derailleur. This gives Doug access only to the largest ring on his cassette, but as he’s on a triple, and the largest rear ring is the one he’s probably going to need for most of the rest of the day, we decide to proceed and “see how it goes.”

gopr8016.jpg
Surface at Hazeltonrigg is nice and pleasant. This is about to change!

We head due north to meet the Salter’s Road with plenty of ancient settlements marked on the map. The nice farm track rapidly turns into a “Northumberland bridleway” which is only apparent on the ground because (a) someone has mowed a strip of grass, and (b) the map on my GPS says it must be underneath us.

gopr8019.jpg
Grassy climbs were to feature heavily (or is that draggily) for the rest of the day

gopr8023.jpg
Looking back into Northumberland

Eventually we meet the Salter’s Road (at a big ancient T junction on the hill), and turn left for a big slog (mostly walking due to the grassy, boggy nature underfoot/wheel) and get to the top of High Knowe, to find two mountain bikers coming the other way and having great fun descending to the T junction.

Now it’s our turn to descend to the farm at Ewartly Shank, but the descent isn’t great: grassy and rutted, leading to Doug having an “off” when one of the ruts claims him. The scenery around is amazing, with beautiful hills arranged layer-upon-layer as far as the eye can see, with just the briefest impression of the wonderful Northumberland coast off to the East, and the brooding mass of The Cheviot to the north. The farm is surrounded by pine plantations that must spoil the view for the occupants (or shield them from the weather).

There’s a great fast descent and a river splash crossing to get to Shank Burn, where we pass two walkers. However we now have a monster climb ahead. We’d seen it looming in the distance from High Knowe, but had been in denial mode. It was reasonably surfaced, but about a kilometre, and roughly 20% with a couple of false summits. We pushed the bikes up it.

gopr8030.jpg
Looking back down the monster climb to the descent to Shank Burn and the farm at Ewartly Shank beyond.

gopr8032.jpg
Just about to reach the col between Schill Moor and Bush Knowe

Once at the top we have another fast descent to Low Bleakhope, with pebbles on the trail meaning I think I wasn’t slow enough to be safe, but wasn’t fast enough to keep me safe from momentum. However, we arrive at the bottom unscathed and pass another two walkers, before heading up the higher reaches of the beautiful Breamish valley.

Eventually we need to leave the Breamish valley and head steeply uphill on grass again. There’s about a kilometre and a half of mostly pushing on grass, with a quick lunch stop.

gopr8040.jpg
More energy sapping grassy climbs

Pushing leads to an incongruous wide track starting in the middle of the moor, and heading into the forest around the upper reaches of the Usway Burn. This is real remote forest, and despite it being coniferous, and a popular mountain biking destination, the hard work you need to put in to get here means we don’t see anybody on the fast descents to Usway Burn until climbing out of the valley we see two guys swimming by the waterfall at Davidson’s Linn. We can hear one of them saying how cold it is, so we shout down for them to get on with it (and they don’t have the presence of mind to shout up at us to get back on our bikes, rather than push them up the steep hillside).

gopr8044.jpg
Into the forest

By now, we’re reasonably fatigued and feel like we’ve already had value for money, so a change of route is agreed: we head to the confluence of bridleways between Hazely Law, Yarnspath Law, and Ward Law via forest track, and take the route over Middle Hill. This is another push, but a short one, and leads us to a great descent past a big group of walkers and then into the forest at Middle Hill. This has a beautiful, rooty, pine-needle carpeted descent back down to Usway Burn before a short climb over a col to the best big views, wide and grassy fast descent to Barrowburn, where we stop at the café for coke and bacon sandwiches.

gopr8049.jpg
Wide, fast, grassy descent with big views.

At the café, we’ve decided we’re taking the road back to the car park, so disconnect Doug’s gear cable and allow the chain to fall onto the smallest cog. I show him how to use the limiter screws to bring it back up to next-smallest (and stop the jockey wheels bottoming out on the chain due to lack of tension in the system). After a good rest and a chat with the walkers also enjoying the café, we take to the road. Time passes quickly, and we only get separated on the two steep sections where Doug needs to get out of the saddle and grind up, but I can drop into the smallest gear and spin away.

gopr8060.jpg
Beautiful roads to finish the day

Back at Alwinton we stash the bikes in the cars and call into the pub for a quick pint. I’m not sure if this was a bike ride with bits of walking, or a walk with bits of biking, but it was a hard and rewarding day out with beautiful hilly scenery. I now never need to get back on the Salter’s Road, but the tracks around the Usway Burn look especially tempting, particularly with a fresh set of legs!

Strava log: https://www.strava.com/activities/400721749

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Footnote to my posting above I used the Strava data uploaded from my mobile, having now uploaded that from my new Aldi bargain Garmin, the mileage is according to that 0.4 mile further and the height gained 2421ft. Oddly the mobile data resulted in 8 awards while that from the Garmin gives me 20 awards:unsure:

Buck

Guru
I set off this morning in misty and quite cool weather. So cool in fact that I decided to put on my leg warmers** for their first outing this year! The air felt quite cold and it took me a little while to warm up - I was glad I'd decided to go long sleeve top and leg warmers!!

(** They're actually knee warmers but on my short legs they're quite long enough thank you!! PS Castelli Nanoflex if anyone is looking for a recommendation - they're very comfy and didn't move at all during the ride)

OK back to the ride. As I got on to the tops I thought it'd be a bit clearer but no, still the mist hung around. I'm guessing it was partly because of the weather but it was very quiet with just a couple of friendly cyclists heading in the opposite direction as I headed up the Haddingley drag before heading down Windmill Lane and into Upper Denby. A few short climbs into High Hoyland before I had a nice gentle decent skirting past Cawthorne Park and then a left into Kexbrough. I knew the Dark Peaks Ride (Wakefield Hospice) was running today and as I rode past the school a guy jumped out with a home made sign "<<<< FEEDING STATION" I smiled, thanked him and carried on.

I then went up through the motorway junction and headed up past Yorkshire Sculpture Park which even this early was busy with lots of cars parked on the road and queueing to get into the car park as the Poppy Wave (from the Tower of London) is currently showing there until mid-January. (link)

A final push through Bretton, Flockton and Emley before heading home in what was now beautiful blue skies and sunshine.

24 miles and 1800ft climbed - Strava linky : >>> https://www.strava.com/activities/401174873

All in all a really enjoyable ride - I wish I could have gone further but plans for the afternoon meant that wasn't possible.

Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 13.13.46.png

gavgav

Guru
Cycled to Brighton yesterday in the British heart foundation's 74 mile mainly off road bike ride. Was great and amazing weather. Sadly suffering from a mild chest infection so that took its toll but managed to complete in 6hours 55mins :biggrin: View attachment 105031 View attachment 105032
Well done and a superb cause!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
OUR ride today, the day after our 23rd wedding anniversary was an 8 mile giggle and swear fest on our new toy..... Tracy-

image.jpeg

Tracy is a 2nd hand Thorn Explorer eBay special that we picked up this morning for the bargain price of £350, she's old, but in good nick, everything works a treat. She just needs new decals.
Coming up the hill from Toft we spied a pink shirted cycle rider about half a mile away

"GET THEM!" Yelled Mrs Dave, so we did, it was bloody great. She was rotund and in her 60's on a BSO but we are having it, the first of many.

I told Jo to take my picture, this is the best of about 15....!

image.jpeg

Loved it!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Up early (for a Sunday) intending to get out and be back in time to get to the shop and still be home for the MotoGP.
Looking forward to the "warmer than Mexico" weather we've been promised I was surprised to see it was damp and foggy when I opened the curtains...:dry: Surely it would brighten up as the sun came up?

Still, bib tights, arm warmers, wind / waterproof L/S jersey and full gloves on and I was ready to go. Still got this blooming cold, but I'd said I was going for a ride, so off I went.
Coal Road (traffic lights still not detecting approaching bikes...), Skelton Lane, then left down Thorner Lane. First stop of the morning to blow my running nose - it wouldn't be the last...
Then down the lumpy bumpy hill to Thorner, using my gloves to clear the drizzle from my glasses and out along Milner lane and the back way to Bramham, left into a light but noticeable headwind (when foggy???) to Wattlesyke roundabout (nose stop), down the cycleway to Wetherby, then right over the river (nose) and right again at the roundabout towards Walton. Past the racecourse and right again to Thorp Arch village, down over the river and up into Boston Spa (nose). Left out of the village heading towards Tadcaster, but remembering the muddy state of the roads last week through Toulston (in the dry), I cut back to Clifford via Bar lane then dropped down into Bramham, tackled Town Hill, then back out on Toulston Lane (nose). Passed a hardy jogger and took the right onto Garnet Lane, eventually crossing the A64 on the bridge and the descent into Stutton.
Took my favoured route down Fanny Lane and then headed out onto the A162, turning right up the hill to Towton.
Turned right onto the B1217 to the battlefield site (nose) and the the left fork through Saxton and out on Coldhill Lane, setting a new PB on this section :okay:
Dropped down onto Copley Lane for the run up to Lotherton Hall where this http://www.carsinthepark.org.uk was getting started by the number of old cars queuing to get into the car park. Then along to Aberford (nose) where there was an MTB charity ride going on (can't find anything about it on the net), with lots of muddys MTB's coming out of the woods off NCN R66 and then down Main Street before looping back towards Barwick - same route as me! I took full advantage of my superior speed :whistle: to pass several of them before they turned off Cattle Lane onto the bridleway past Layfield Farm and out to Potterton - I rode this in mid-summer on my hybrid and it was a mudfest then, so good luck if you were tackling that today...:eek:
Then the familiar old descent to Cock Beck followed by the climb to Barwick and on to Scholes and down Leeds Road where the sun finally decided to come out, with me about a mile from home...

Todays numbers, although today was never going to be about speed, it was just about getting out and getting some miles in.:
35.38 miles in a very steady 2hrs 29m at an average of 14.2mph, with 1517ft climbed.
Really pleased to get another metric half century (56.93km) in under the circumstances, plus todays ride takes me over 200 miles for this month and over 500 miles in total on the road bike.

Sorry, no photos - the frankly rubbish weather meant it didn't seem worth taking any, with visibility down to 100 yards much of the time :unsure:

27092015.jpg

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Got home from football about 11pm after crappy drive from Newcastle back to The Lakes.

Watched recorded MOTD to relive the horror show and eased the pain with too much wine and home made 'KFC'. Shamefully I then ate a stick of Rolos. :evil:

Went to bed at silly'o'clock having finished off the Drambuie. :biggrin:

Got up this morning and thought "shall I shan't I" on auto-repeat as I was blitzed.

Had a plate of Beans On and about a pint of raspberry/nectarine/banana smoothie and then felt ready to take on the world. This dose of euphoria did not last long.

Forced myself onto lovely bike and off I toddled. First few miles and first decent hill (13%) were poo and then I was fine.

Smashing day, bit of a breeze but nice and sunny.

Numbers: 22.91 miles / 13.4 mph av' / 1821' elevation gain / nearly 59 years old

RWGPS up/down plot showing trundle along the Lyth Valley - this is flatter than Dutchland. And very lovely it was too:

270915.jpg

Top Bottom