Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Crackin' take off ramp there!! What's the landing like?:becool:
In my youth I would have given it a go! Nowadays likely to fall flat on my face :laugh::B)

gavgav

Guru
You don't need to find out who it belongs to; just send your complaint to the TC and he/she will find that out in 5 seconds. Daffodils like that give the rest of us a bad name :cursing:.
Traffic Commisioner didn't want to know, apparently they can only deal with Tachograph issues and emissions. It's a police matter apparently. Waste of time putting report in as police won't do anything without an independent witness. Perhaps I should have flagged those cars down and got some details ?:huh:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Two days, two rides to report.
Still can't shift this blooming cold though, so deliberately kept both rides sensible to save my legs for Sunday when I'm planning a decent ride out on the road bike

Yesterday, home earlier than I'd expected from work so a local spin on the road bike to keep the legs going. Down to Cross Gates / Manston / Pendas Fields / home.
Managed to set a PB on Manston Lane, but still a little short of the fastest time down here. Still got that to aim for once I'm fully fit. ;)
6.3 miles (or another 10km if you prefer...) in 24m 02s at an average of 15.7mph

Then today, out on the hybrid (first time in nearly two weeks) for a mix of local roads, green lanes and bridleways:
Wood Lane to Scholes, down Main Street and onto Bog Lane at the Coronation Tree. Down Barrowby Lane on onto Manston lane, then Nanny Goat Lane to Garforth.
Turned left on Barwick Rd and over the M1 bridge and over Cock Beck and over Garforth Golf Club, back up to Manston Lane, Pendas Fields (long way), Barwick Road (a different one) and up to home. Surprisingly quiet throughout, I think I only saw 4 or 5 other bikes in all that.
Set two PB's though so well pleased with that considering.^_^
10.37 miles in 50m 26s at an average of 12.7mph, with 367ft climbed.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've just been out for my first ride for about a fortnight (away in Cardiff last week and feeling lazy the week before that) taking a route round the edge of Shrewsbury and out to Montford Bridge, then Great Ness, Pentre, Melverley, Halfway House, Westbury, Nox, Lea Cross, Exfords Green and Condover before heading for home.

Lots of :sun: out there and it's pretty nice for the end of September. I loaded the Raleigh lightly for once allowing me to push on a bit which felt great compared to normal. The traffic was light and mostly well behaved (did have to do an emergency stop at one point when a driver just pulled out in front of me from the right :headshake:)

A small issue cropped up about 10 miles into the ride when I got a text from cousin L. asking if I could jump start her car. Errr, might be a bit tricky at the moment :unsure: I did pass the message on to my dad though who was able to help out.:okay:

Great Ness to Melverley was a good section with a following wind and I kept the speed up around 18mph for most of this section ^_^. The next bit though wasn't as good as it gets a bit more undulating and I'd turned back into the wind so the good average speed started to fall away.

I added an extra bit into Condover at the end as it's a faster bit of road but it didn't really make up for the time lost.

34.5 miles this trip at a pretty quick (for me) 15.9 mph. Quite pleased with that but I really wanted to get that nice round 16mph:rolleyes:.

Sorry, no photos today.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Continuing with last weekends theme of re-visiting this years favourite rides before the onset of winter, it was back into the Wiltshire & Dorset countryside for me today on a route done back in May.

A chilly start meant knee warmers were again in order as I headed up Roger Penny Way & across the forest to Fordingbridge before making the most of the easterly tailwind to Cranbourne & continuing west to Tarrant Hinton & Tarrant Gunville where the road surface improved dramatically for nice 5 mile uphill stretch.

Lunch was duly taken at the 40 mile mark & with the knee warmers retired for the day it was onto Bowerchalke & the final little climb of the day & with that dispensed of I altered the route slightly & found another decent piece of tarmac for the way down to Sixpenny Handley & back to Cranbourne before heading to the forest via Ibsley & across into a punishing headwind for home.

81 miles in total on a lovely sunny day & I can't recall a single incident of bad driving or close passes so a pretty near perfect ride topped by the glorious Gunners winning 5-2! ^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/400513007

003.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Continuing with last weekends theme of re-visiting this years favourite rides before the onset of winter, it was back into the Wiltshire & Dorset countryside for me today on a route done back in May.

A chilly start meant knee warmers were again in order as I headed up Roger Penny Way & across the forest to Fordingbridge before making the most of the easterly tailwind to Cranbourne & continuing west to Tarrant Hinton & Tarrant Gunville where the road surface improved dramatically for nice 5 mile uphill stretch.

Lunch was duly taken at the 40 mile mark & with the knee warmers retired for the day it was onto Bowerchalke & the final little climb of the day & with that dispensed of I altered the route slightly & found another decent piece of tarmac for the way down to Sixpenny Handley & back to Cranbourne before heading to the forest via Ibsley & across into a punishing headwind for home.

81 miles in total on a lovely sunny day & I can't recall a single incident of bad driving or close passes so a pretty near perfect ride topped by the glorious Gunners winning 5-2! ^_^

https://www.strava.com/activities/400513007

View attachment 105007

View attachment 105008

View attachment 105009
Nice ride, but I am most disappointed not to see a single pig, cow, sheep, etc! :laugh:

Hyslop

Veteran
Up and on the pedals by 5.45 am this morning for a nice 30 miles .

A bit chilly and misty for most of the way . Headed out of the borough towards Sywell then Overstone next was Billing where the swan's were waiting to be fed .

View attachment 104964 View attachment 104965

Next was Brafield on the Green then down past the stadium to Horton where I turned left towards Denton past Yardley Chase ctc and just before Denton we rested for a picture.

View attachment 104966

Then along the A428 to Yardley Hastings and on towards Grendon where I caught the sun trying to come up.

View attachment 104968

Through Grendon and then up to Earls Barton and Mears Ashby and then back home.

A very enjoyable ride indeed
Lovely photos,like your bike rack!

Postmanhat

From a couple of days ago. Day off, no time pressure, so decided to try out three new climbs. A wee stop allowed more piddling about with the front mech. The 105 groupset has been great except for this, which seems to reset itself every few rides. Also afforded a view of the today's first target, the WW1 memorial atop Crich. You might be able to make it out on the left
Closer view
Looking southeast you can feel a bit James Cagney
Northwest though, and you realise you're just on the edge of the Peak District

A few miles over a moor, then a sharpish descent into Matlock for the main course, Riber Road. Simon Warren says it's favourite climb and gives it a difficulty rating of
9/10. What he doesn't mention is that the first hairpin goes from 4 to 30% in about 5 yards. With an oncoming car taking up most of the road, I put my foot down more out of fear/surprise than fatigue. Only just made it up the remainder, very tough. Lots of lovely 25+ percentness where even a seat potato like me had to get out of the saddle. Pleased, with a tinge of regret about the dismount. Will definitely give it another go before the years end

Gentle descent down to Cromford for the climb that featured in this year's TOB stage six. One mile at 8%, it's a good test, but a little boring. You do have a wide choice of routes at the top though, and I went for a bit more climbing up to Bolehill, which gave the final view of Crich Tower from the Bear Inn beer garden.

2.5 miles of freewheeling back to Derby had me regretting not wearing a base layer. Might risk it again tomorrow if the forecasts are accurate :smile: 48 miles, 4000ft. Seem to be finding some climbing legs in time to try a set a few PBs before winter

Top Bottom