Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Right well this have been a very long time in the coming, and I can't say it was far, or it was fast. In fact it probably qualifies as the shortest and slowest ride on this report but here goes.
Oh and I guess this is probably going to be the longest and most pictures per mile/minute ride report there is! :laugh:

My new recumbent trike was delivered today and what with the sun shining and me wanting to get out on a bike again, it being almost exactly 4 months today since my back went, I decided to not have my morning physio walk this morning and to make it an afternoon physio ride instead...

So first, here is the new bike... an ICE Adventure 26 custom build with Rohloff hub and triple front derailleur. The observant will notice the rear derailleur - it is being used solely as a (cheap) chain tensioner. There are some mobility aids for standing and in the near future there will be some adaptation done so that I can take my crutches with me as well. Plus all the usual paraphernalia needs to be added like barbag and lights and water bottle holders and well just the usual things... plus in time the pannier rack etc.

View attachment 81401

As you can see it was bright and sunny at this point, so I set out with a little trepidation and struggled... err how hard can it be? The parking brake is off... its in 1st gear... errrrrr.... well that took a while to suss out to be honest. I failed to get up the incline to the more level part of the Whitegate Way and had to push it up. Am I really that weak now? Well yes, but that was not the issue. more on that later.

View attachment 81403
Some trees I haven't seen for a while and some nice light....

View attachment 81404
Finally made it to the bridge, but this is not my target...

View attachment 81405
There is light at the end of the tunnel!

My target is a boring bench, but it happens to be exactly 1 mile from my house... that is my target and it is not too much further away. Its a boring bench so not worth photo'ing but I did get some really nice light on some more trees... :whistle:

View attachment 81406
Nice light on some friends...

View attachment 81407
The closest thing to a selfie I will ever get!

View attachment 81408
Now on the way home and some excellent light and great shadows again...

Right totally exhausted by 2 miles. Strava says 30 minutes moving time, so that's a 4mph average but that is the fastest I have been self propelled for the last 4 months... I'm more than happy with that!
https://www.strava.com/activities/262882504
PS - I have no idea where I made it to 28.1kph!
So that is 7 photos per 2 miles... I'm going to have to work on that average! :laugh:

PPS - those early problems with the Rohloff hub - I have the bike in what I thought was first (and normally is first (lowest) gear) but it turned out to be 14th gear (highest/hardest gear)... no wonder I couldn't get up the slight incline! - easily sorted now I know, but.... :laugh:
Perfect weather for it too! *got something in my eye*...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I see a parallel here between @SatNavSaysStraightOn and Steve Abrahams.

Not in the distance travelled, but in the determination to do it.

Brilliant effort.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Right well this have been a very long time in the coming, and I can't say it was far, or it was fast. In fact it probably qualifies as the shortest and slowest ride on this report but here goes.
Oh and I guess this is probably going to be the longest and most pictures per mile/minute ride report there is! :laugh:

My new recumbent trike was delivered today and what with the sun shining and me wanting to get out on a bike again, it being almost exactly 4 months today since my back went, I decided to not have my morning physio walk this morning and to make it an afternoon physio ride instead...

So first, here is the new bike... an ICE Adventure 26 custom build with Rohloff hub and triple front derailleur. The observant will notice the rear derailleur - it is being used solely as a (cheap) chain tensioner. There are some mobility aids for standing and in the near future there will be some adaptation done so that I can take my crutches with me as well. Plus all the usual paraphernalia needs to be added like barbag and lights and water bottle holders and well just the usual things... plus in time the pannier rack etc.

View attachment 81401

As you can see it was bright and sunny at this point, so I set out with a little trepidation and struggled... err how hard can it be? The parking brake is off... its in 1st gear... errrrrr.... well that took a while to suss out to be honest. I failed to get up the incline to the more level part of the Whitegate Way and had to push it up. Am I really that weak now? Well yes, but that was not the issue. more on that later.

View attachment 81403

View attachment 81404

View attachment 81405

My target is a boring bench, but it happens to be exactly 1 mile from my house... that is my target and it is not too much further away. Its a boring bench so not worth photo'ing but I did get some really nice light on some more trees... :whistle:

View attachment 81406

View attachment 81407

View attachment 81408

Right totally exhausted by 2 miles. Strava says 30 minutes moving time, so that's a 4mph average but that is the fastest I have been self propelled for the last 4 months... I'm more than happy with that!
So that is 7 photos per 2 miles... I'm going to have to work on that average! :laugh:

PPS - those early problems with the Rohloff hub - I have the bike in what I thought was first (and normally is first (lowest) gear) but it turned out to be 14th gear (highest/hardest gear)... no wonder I couldn't get up the slight incline! - easily sorted now I know, but.... :laugh:
Loving the trike, and :bravo::bravo:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Great to see you out again @SatNavSaysStraightOn , the trike looks fab.:okay:

Breezy but dry down here today so good enough to give Roubaix 2 another run out without any danger of her melting in the wet.

I decided on my "flat route" which only has around 1000ft of going up over the 33 mile course but is very exposed in places & it was a constant battle with cross winds as I heading southwest past Beaulieu towards St Leonards where the scenery is more agricultural & there is an abundance of pheasants, none of whom stay still long enough to get a photo of though!

Turning northeast near Pilley, the return route is again past Beaulieu & up to Lyndhurst before tuning for Ashurst, Woodlands & home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/262889675

001.JPG

New Forest ponies, still in their fluffy winter coats, grazing by the medieval barn at St Leonards.

003.JPG

A rather choppy Hatchetts Pond near Beaulieu today.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

View attachment 81401

View attachment 81403

View attachment 81404

View attachment 81405

View attachment 81406

View attachment 81407

View attachment 81408

:bravo:

I'm looking forward to hearing about more trips too @SatNavSaysStraightOn, apart from enjoying the freedom did you love the new position?
It was fine on the route I used. I have noticed in the photos the lower angle they are taken at, which will be something to look at when I venture on to roads but that will probably take a while... the position is interesting in that I am not used to my knees coming up that high! And I did have an issue keeping my right foot on the pedal but I think that had more to do with the chain slipping but there is a solution for that if I can't keep my foot on the pedal once it is resolved... (thing is probably the paralysis/weakness issue). Otherwise it was just great to be out again tbh!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It was fine on the route I used. I have noticed in the photos the lower angle they are taken at, which will be something to look at when I venture on to roads but that will probably take a while... the position is interesting in that I am not used to my knees coming up that high! And I did have an issue keeping my right foot on the pedal but I think that had more to do with the chain slipping but there is a solution for that if I can't keep my foot on the pedal once it is resolved... (thing is probably the paralysis/weakness issue). Otherwise it was just great to be out again tbh!
You can get foot plates that might help support the foot if it keeps slipping off.

D

Deleted member 1258

View attachment 81401

View attachment 81403

View attachment 81404

View attachment 81405

View attachment 81406

View attachment 81407

View attachment 81408

Well done, its nice to see you on a bike and out and about.

Archeress

Veteran
Would clipless pedals be an option? It's not like you could have a clipless moment. Also very glad to see you on a bike again.

Hugs
Archeress x

thetribe

Über Member
Nice one @SatNavSaysStraightOn :thumbsup:

Well today I got home from work to see the car in the drive and a bike missing from indoors, The Hesitant Cyclist had gone to work on the bike again. So an extended pick up route again, in the wind. The same ride as Monday, but slightly faster, for both of us. She is still worried that the hills will beat her every day but there's been no talk of stopping and walking up, just gritted teeth.

http://www.strava.com/activities/262922070

Top Bottom