Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Would clipless pedals be an option? It's not like you could have a clipless moment. Also very glad to see you on a bike again.

Hugs
Archeress x
Sadly I can't use them even before this issue. My slight paralysis down the left side, plus the damage to my leg from the dog bite means I have no rotational movement of my left foot to clip in. Also I have custom orthopaedic innersoles and am meant to wear boots all the time did to hypermobility syndrome... It all just ads up to not being able to use clipless pedals sadly. There is a cheap solution involving some bungee cord and a ping ping ball that Kevin told me about so if it comes to it, I can try that, I just haven't worked out how I get to my foot to attach it given my bending issues... But I can work on that if it is an issue once the chain skipping is sorted out.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
A fixed gear ride this afternoon, nice and sunny, the days are stretching out.
This was 17:30 in Bushy Park.
20150304_172700_zps4mebzluj.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Right well this have been a very long time in the coming, and I can't say it was far, or it was fast. In fact it probably qualifies as the shortest and slowest ride on this report but here goes ...
I'm so pleased to read that report! :smile:

I was half fearing that the trike would arrive and you would discover that you were unable to use it so I am happy that the first ride went so well. The first of many, I hope.

I was half fearing that the trike would arrive and you would discover that you were unable to use it
You were not the only one Colin! Where the smilie wiping it's forehead going phew :sweat: nope not that one... :heat:that one! Both would work however.

Sitting in it was my biggest worry what with me being unable to sit down at all, but I had checked the seat angles 41-49° out and know I live lying around the 40° mark so it was a fingers crossed...

I did do a lot of research and reading on them before being advised to get the ICE Adventure 26. Then a lot more reading after that as well! That and Kevin's expertise seems to have paid off. Now to sorry the little things out, so that I can get things where I wasn't and get my crutches attached, plus get the breakdown cover sorted now I know I can get more than a mile from home, albeit just! :wahhey:

Ganymede

Veteran
You were not the only one Colin! Where the smilie wiping it's forehead going phew :sweat: nope not that one... :heat:that one! Both would work however.

Sitting in it was my biggest worry what with me being unable to sit down at all, but I had checked the seat angles 41-49° out and know I live lying around the 40° mark so it was a fingers crossed...

I did do a lot of research and reading on them before being advised to get the ICE Adventure 26. Then a lot more reading after that as well! That and Kevin's expertise seems to have paid off. Now to sorry the little things out, so that I can get things where I wasn't and get my crutches attached, plus get the breakdown cover sorted now I know I can get more than a mile from home, albeit just! :wahhey:
I was a bit worried too - as a 'bent rider I know they can be a bit harder uphill, though I think it's easier with a trike as you can stop more easily and rest. Early in my 'bent career I was going up a hill, misjudged it when it steepened suddenly, changed down and was going so slowly that I toppled sideways! (thinks: perhaps I should test ride a trike...).

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I only had time to a short ride this morning due to me looking at the time on the clock (09:00) thinking I had loads of time, well, a couple of hours anyway, before Mrs Pete said the it was 10:30 and the battery had run out of time!! <DOH>

Still, I decided to get the British Eagle Tourisique out of winter mothballs, pump up the tyres a bit and fettle around for half an hour to check roadwortiness etc.

Absolutely no problems at all to fix. :okay:

DSC_0595.JPG

DSC_0599.JPG

DSC_0602.JPG

Only a short 11 miles around the local villages before w*rk, but great to ride the old 1986 Touristique again. I dread to think how many miles I've totted up on it since I got hold of it for £50 last century..

https://www.strava.com/activities/263259999

Fubar

Guru
Right well this have been a very long time in the coming, and I can't say it was far, or it was fast. In fact it probably qualifies as the shortest and slowest ride on this report but here goes.
Oh and I guess this is probably going to be the longest and most pictures per mile/minute ride report there is! :laugh:

My new recumbent trike was delivered today and what with the sun shining and me wanting to get out on a bike again, it being almost exactly 4 months today since my back went, I decided to not have my morning physio walk this morning and to make it an afternoon physio ride instead...

So first, here is the new bike... an ICE Adventure 26 custom build with Rohloff hub and triple front derailleur. The observant will notice the rear derailleur - it is being used solely as a (cheap) chain tensioner. There are some mobility aids for standing and in the near future there will be some adaptation done so that I can take my crutches with me as well. Plus all the usual paraphernalia needs to be added like barbag and lights and water bottle holders and well just the usual things... plus in time the pannier rack etc.

View attachment 81401

As you can see it was bright and sunny at this point, so I set out with a little trepidation and struggled... err how hard can it be? The parking brake is off... its in 1st gear... errrrrr.... well that took a while to suss out to be honest. I failed to get up the incline to the more level part of the Whitegate Way and had to push it up. Am I really that weak now? Well yes, but that was not the issue. more on that later.

View attachment 81403
Some trees I haven't seen for a while and some nice light....

View attachment 81404
Finally made it to the bridge, but this is not my target...

View attachment 81405
There is light at the end of the tunnel!

My target is a boring bench, but it happens to be exactly 1 mile from my house... that is my target and it is not too much further away. Its a boring bench so not worth photo'ing but I did get some really nice light on some more trees... :whistle:

View attachment 81406
Nice light on some friends...

View attachment 81407
The closest thing to a selfie I will ever get!

View attachment 81408
Now on the way home and some excellent light and great shadows again...

Right totally exhausted by 2 miles. Strava says 30 minutes moving time, so that's a 4mph average but that is the fastest I have been self propelled for the last 4 months... I'm more than happy with that!
https://www.strava.com/activities/262882504
PS - I have no idea where I made it to 28.1kph!
So that is 7 photos per 2 miles... I'm going to have to work on that average! :laugh:

PPS - those early problems with the Rohloff hub - I have the bike in what I thought was first (and normally is first (lowest) gear) but it turned out to be 14th gear (highest/hardest gear)... no wonder I couldn't get up the slight incline! - easily sorted now I know, but.... :laugh:

Brilliant news, congratulations!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Really enjoyed today, ride 4 for the Tour Group here in North Cyprus. We had perfect weather, Glorious Sunshine, Blue Skies, the island is covered in Beautiful yellow flowers, the blossom is coming out on the Olive Trees, Spring is here big time! Absolutly love Cycling out here!!
Bafra>Mehmetcik>Yedikonuk>Buyukkonuk>Kaplica>Kantara>Ardahan>Iskele :bicycle::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun::sun:

:sun::bicycle::sun::bicycle::sun:

Slioch

Guru
Really enjoyed today, ride 4 for the Tour Group here in North Cyprus. We had perfect weather, Glorious Sunshine, Blue Skies, the island is covered in Beautiful yellow flowers, the blossom is coming out on the Olive Trees, Spring is here big time! Absolutly love Cycling out here!!

I'm not too proud to say I'm totally jealous. Looks wonderful:smile:.

Last edited:

Dark46

Veteran
Last night was my first ride with Eastgate Cycles. What a turnout! I was told it was a quiet night with about 80 people turning up. I went with the shorter ride and slower group as it was my first as I said. I wasnt sure of the route or the groups so thought best to start slowly and not get to far ahead of myself too early.

We set off along Eastgate st into Westgate st and out of Gloucester. We went straight towards Maisemore. The climb out of Maisemore seemed alot easier than I remember. Then at the top we waited for a couple of people.

It was while looking back waiting that I noticed that one of the guys had amazing lights on the front of his bike. It really looked as bright as a cars lights. Later in I kept thinking there was a car behind but itcwasca Dean lol.

We dropped do by Hartpury college and hung a left through the grounds, but there was a few peeps that wanted to go straight on even though we were all told where we were going.

The lane out of the grounds was really dark and as I was at the front, it was here that I really realised that my lights weren't up to the job compared to others. At the end of the lane we can up with the inter group who it seems had taken a longer and wrong route.

I would like to say where went but to be honest I'm not really sure lol. All I know is we ended up on the A40 heading back to Gloucester.

One of the guys accelerated so I thought I would try and go with him. I was able to stay with him then after a few minutes I decided to hit the front. I was amazed that I was able to keep the pace for that distance. During my 3rd time at the front of the pelaton I hit a pot hole and my front light decided to depart from the bike!

After a brief stop to collect the stray light it was back on the go back in Gloucester.

As my background light wasn't set to permanent I hadn't realised we where travelling close to 25 mph on the A40. Some of the strava sectors were averaging about tad over 23mph. It took us about 17 minutes from Huntley to Gloucester which the others were saying was quite a pace.

All in all the ride was very enjoyable and i can wait till next Wednesday for another ride with the club.

Okay the ride was quite flat but I still managed my best average speed of 16 mph. So really chuffed. In the end my ride came in at 27.8 miles. We could of gone longer but we stopped at the pub and the Cold really hit us after about 10 minutes.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
IMG_20150305_110543.jpg

Nice dry day and the wind has dropped considerably - so it was out on the best bikes today!
Rode into Barnstaple the hilly way, for a bit of proper exercise, then around the back of Sticklepath and in to Fremington Quay for a coffee. Steady ride back home along the Tarka Trail, dodging the grey Grockles on the way.:rolleyes:
Set 3 PB's on the way and the missus set 5.
21 miles in total.
All in all, a very enjoyable morning out.:okay:

Left work at 1, rode home via Dalmeny and Hopetoun estates, John Muir way past Blackness Castle onto Bo'ness, fierce westerly but I was mostly quite sheltered by the trees. Ochils still have a fair bit of snow on them. At Bo'ness turned south then picked up the A road east past Tam Dalyell's house before turning south again past Duntarvit Castle and through Winchborough, Broxburn, Almondell Country Park to Kirknewton where I picked up a howling tailwind at last along Long Dalmahoy Road to home. 42 miles.

Spartak