Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
[QUOTE 4140615, member: 9609"]this has to have been the nicest day of the year so far, no flooding, no heavy rain, no ice, no wind - all a bit weird really

heading into the valley
kale01_9544_zpsjzyq7qmq.jpg

high up
kale02_9546_zpsujpc561f.jpg

kale03_9550_zpsgrd6ridj.jpg

looking back in
kale04_9551_zpscjiex1p2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity where where you? Looks glorious :smile:

Shaun

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Todays ride (for a change) was on the CX up the Brampton Valley Way via Market Harborough and Foxton Locks.
I was thinking of riding all the way to Leicester 'Off Road', but the canal bank degenerated into a bit of a mud-fest a few miles up from Foxton. Summertime might be alright, but not this time of year!

That's the main reason I've not done much lately. With mud & nicely rounded wet stones it's hard work and I don't fancy a dip!

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Didn't have much time this afternoon so I took the old Rockhopper out, up the Southport Coast Road into the Ainsdale Dunes nature trail, down to where the trail meets Freshfield Beach and back home. A ride of just under 15 miles.

Looking up the Coast Road towards Ainsdale. This is quite a monotonous stretch with very little variation in surrounding scenery - just sand dunes and passing traffic, and today, riding into a strong south-westerly wind it was very hard work as well.

Ainsdale Hill.jpg
Coast Road.jpg

I bought my Rockhopper 18 years ago and at that time I would have coped much better with the fierce headwind, no way I would have been down to the 2nd and 3rd lowest gears (on the front middle cog), but I was only 37 then and could eat conditions like these, now at 55 and with ever more creaky joints I was actually worried at one point, when the wind seemed to be increasing in strength even more, that a runner I overtook might actually catch me up again. He didn't and I found my pace and made it to the off road trail. I suppose many off road woodland trails look the same so just a couple of photos and one of the trusty old Rockhopper.

Woodland trail1.jpg

Woodlan trail2.jpg

Bike standing.jpg

The photo of my bike is taken where the trail ends near the dunes at the rear of Freshfield beach. Before now I have carried my bike over those dunes and ridden along the hard sand, when the tide was out of course, back to Ainsdale and then picked up the Coast Road again to get home. Today might have been a good time to do that as the strong wind would assist what is a tough ride, even on hard sand, but I wasn't sure of the tide times and didn't really have time to go and look so I turned round and went back the same way. After a few miles on the muddy track, my bike is in need of a good wash so that will be added to my weekend task list - football and beer permitting!!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Set out this morning planning to get 15 miles or so in, and a few feet of climbing. I've been struggling on hills more than I used to, and avoiding them will only make it worse.
Headed off towards WGP, taking the back roads to avoid the school run. Went in via Bishopsgate and started the short loop out towards the village, stopping briefly at Chaplains Lodge
05 Feb 2016 Chaplains.jpg

A nice roll downhill, before a short climb up to the Golden Jubilee statue, pausing for another
05 Feb 2016 WGP.jpg

By this time the trusty Trek was clunking badly. I knew the bottom bracket was on the way out, still, it's done well for the last 2000+ miles, and is now my wet, winter bike. Strange affection to this one, very basic bike but my first road bike in 2013 and I find it very comfy. It now has a new UN55 BB and all is smooth again:smile:
Home after 21 miles, and 740ft of climbing.
Tomorrow looks horrid, hope Sunday is better as I am planning a ride with a new companion.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Up and out early this morning so i could get some miles in before the forecasted rain arrived .

A bit more of an urban route today taking in Orlingbury , Isham ,Burton Latimer ,Finedon ,Rushden ,Irchester and up through Wellingborough only 22 miles on damp roads with a good head wind to fight against on way home .

Used my blue R.E.W Reynolds with its new narrow rimmed wheels and 700 x 25 Schwalbe Marathons oh and a new 7 speed rear block and drive chain .

Made a nice difference still rides as well if not better than before.

iandg

Legendary Member
Not so good. A 20 mile loop from Stornoway to Leurbost and back over Achmor and the single track home. The single track road has got broken up some since my last excursion over it. HTF did I not see this coming? Needed a tube change (not an easy job when your hands are cold and you are running Vittoria Randonneurs on Rigida Chrina) and may possibly need a new rim :sad:

24850524485_81e0de1912_z.jpg

Last edited:

Stevec047

Über Member
Well I have taken the big step of fitting clipless pedals to the bike the other week which I posted about else where on the forum.

All I will say is the 9.3 mile ride today has reignited my love for cycling how can a simple £30 pair of pedals make such a difference? I was climbing up hills I had been struggling with less than a couple of weeks ago where I would be grinding in the easiest gear. Today I dropped it down a couple of cogs and just let the legs spin naturally pulling up with the foot to increase power and it felt amazing.

If it wasn't for the wind I truly believe my average speed would have been closer to 10mph as opposed to my recent 8.3mph and 8.9mph today.

Even after 9.3.miles the pedals feel second nature with no issues clipping in or out. 20160206_131118.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
A bit of cabin fever today (the flashing around the chimney is being attended to and I feel obliged to supply coffee on a regular basis to the roofer), but the desire to keep to my plan of getting out on a bike at least once every day this year meant I've just sneaked a 4 miler as a shake-down ride after some fettling on the rear wheel of Patsy #2 The CX. (I think I may have buggered the small cone adjuster Allen bolt on my Falcum 5 by over-tightening it, and I'm not too sure whether getting a few drops of oil inside to free the bearing up was wise or not. The LBS may be getting a visit soon.)
Still, I've had a ride today and damn good show to any of you riding any sort of longer distance in this wind. :okay:

The weather was no where near as bad as forecast ( surprise surprise), so I went for a 40 miler on the MX. I passed a cyclist vs car prang on the way out, but all in all it wasn't too bad.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/487165344
:thumbsup:. I had a free coffee in Nero, thanks to a fully stamped loyalty card, and a free beer in the Piano and Pitcher, thanks to their free beer / loyalty thing. Which was nice.

Well I have taken the big step of fitting clipless pedals to the bike the other week which I posted about else where on the forum.

All I will say is the 9.3 mile ride today has reignited my love for cycling how can a simple £30 pair of pedals make such a difference? I was climbing up hills I had been struggling with less than a couple of weeks ago where I would be grinding in the easiest gear. Today I dropped it down a couple of cogs and just let the legs spin naturally pulling up with the foot to increase power and it felt amazing.

If it wasn't for the wind I truly believe my average speed would have been closer to 10mph as opposed to my recent 8.3mph and 8.9mph today.

Even after 9.3.miles the pedals feel second nature with no issues clipping in or out. View attachment 118114
Clipless makes a huge difference to comfort, IMHO. Well done keep
It up.

Not so good. A 20 mile loop from Stornoway to Leurbost and back over Achmor and the single track home. The single track road has got broken up some since my last excursion over it. HTF did I not see this coming? Needed a tube change (not an easy job when your hands are cold and you are running Vittoria Randonneurs on Rigida Chrina) and may possibly need a new rim :sad:

Stornoway, you must be a bit mad.

Diggs

Veteran

Those Randonneurs really are quite a challenge to get on and off aren't they? Hope it's not too bad.

Diggs

Veteran
I was going through weather forecasts over coffee this morning like a has-been boxer looking for a doctor to authorise one last fight. In any event the rain stayed off and we got back before the worst of the wind kicked in.
A bit more undulating after a pub conv with the ride leader few weeks ago that we go for more hills to prepare for my Easter event and felt a bit quicker as we split, took two different roads and regrouped.
route.jpg

infront.jpg

going down.jpg

resi bend.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Up at silly o'clock and out on the road bike for February's first outdoor ride, while it was still dark in an attempt to avoid the monsoon that was forecast to arrive mid-morning.
Started off over well worn roads out to Scholes, then Barwick, but instead of heading to Aberford, I took a right down Long Lane to Garforth, then took the A642 back over the motorway and carried on, eventually taking the left to Aberford. Right in the village and under the A1(M), then up the hill to Lotherton Hall and on to Saxton.

You know those winter mornings, when it's grey, with a layer of low lying mist about - and then dawn arrives and the sun burns through and it's one of those glorious winter days?
Well this was nothing like that. It slowly got light, but stayed grey and overcast, with a constant threat of rain to come.

Through saxton and out to Barkston Ash, then on to Church Fenton. Avoided whatever it was that nearly tipped me off the bike last week and through the village. Passed the turning to Ryther but then decided to give that road a try. It would add a bit more mileage on and it was a new road, so I looped back round and headed down there. It's very flat and open, with just a deep dyke at the side of the road to break the flatness. I wouldn't fancy cycling along here on a windy day!
Anyway, I'd soon passed the airfield and the road curved north, for a short time running parallel to the East Coast Mainline. A couple of trains passed, a Virgin East Coast heading for York, and a Grand Central heading south. I've got to say that the 'new' Virgin livery looks rubbish, unlike the GC livery which actually looks like it belongs on a train.

On into Ryther and left towards Ulleskelf, where I was treated to a super wide pass from a tricked out and very meaty sounding Landy, before tackling the run out to the A162. Without last weeks headwind this was a lot nicer to ride and I was over a minute quicker over the first mile...although it had started to rain at this point, slightly earlier than forecast.:rain:
Right and down the hill to Grimston, before hanging a left into Stutton. Decided against tackling Fanny Lane from this direction again and went straight through the village and up the surprisingly steep Moor Lane before the bridge over the A64, then up Garnet Lane and over the A659. I often stop here for a drink and a bite to eat, but the weather was getting increasingly grim so I decided to keep going.:bicycle:
Left again and on to Bramham, where I skirted the top of the village, before flying down the hill and back up onto the bridge back over the A1(M) and the climb out to Wothersome. The rain was getting heavier at this point and it was becoming a simple matter of grinding out the miles to home. Down into Wothersome dip and the slog up the other side, before the steady ascent towards Thorner, where I plunged down the hill into the village and along Main Street, before tackling the inevitable climb back out the other side.
Right onto Skeltons Lane, where I suffered the only really close pass of the day - from a bloody driving school car, presumably on a lesson as it was two up with the sign on the roof. If driving instructors aren't teaching learners to give bikes a wide berth, what hope have we got? :cursing:
Anyway nearly home now, so onto Coal Rd, then local roads to home.

So, that's 36.25 miles (58.33 km) in 2hrs 33m at an average of 14.2 mph, with 1254 ft climbed - most of that in the last third of the ride.
Quite happy with that under the circumstances and glad I made the effort to get out and bank my half century in for February. There were very few other cyclists out today though...:sad:

Sorry no photos today - the weather wasn't very photogenic and I didn't stop anywhere. But here's the map:

06022016.jpg

Finally, things I've learned today:
Even Louise Lear can't be totally trusted with a weather forecast
Altura Nightvision Waterproof gloves can only cope with so much rain
Driving instructors should know better
Lots of 'proper' cyclists must still be hibernating as I'm still setting fastest course times for the year...;)
I really should consider disc brakes on any future road bike, given the horrible noises coming from the brake blocks / wheels today

Top Bottom