Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
Clipless makes a huge difference to comfort, IMHO. Well done keep
It up.
Thanks yeah the whole ride just felt so good I could probably of carried on if it weren't for the wind.

Quite looking forward to next Sunday when I get my next chance to get back on the bike may even push myself to keep going and pushing the milage.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My Birthday ride with CC london. Had a great ride with the club 62 miles, was supposed to have been 64 miles one for every year i have been around. ^_^ But we had a youngster with us who started to struggle towards the end of the ride so we took the flattest route back to the pub. We had arranged a little Birthday gathering there with a few friends, but when i got there i had a lovely suprise. cake_2.jpg
Was good to see so many people turn up, Have had a great ride a really nice lunch time drink. Have just ordered a curry for six have got the beers in, Life is great.:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/487294818

Club ride today and as I have been under the weather lately decided to roll with the easy group.

Nice pace until the the stop at St Ives but young lad who was with us had run out of steam so was nursed in the group along the busway on the way back for a bit until one of our group decided to guide him back so the rest of us could go on at a quicker pace.

Felt good on the way back with a tail wind so gave it some gas to see how I felt and managed to keep a good pace from Cottenham to Wilburton;so pleased with how I felt and can get on with getting the km's up again.

Nice ride despite the strong gusts which were blowing us around and pleased to get out after not being sure about going.

https://www.strava.com/activities/487149098

Postmanhat

Felt fairly sluggish yesterday. Probably just the cold and the poor weather generally, means work is usually knackering at this time of year. One for the fitness locker although I enjoyed it as nearly always.

Moreover, some positive signs of things of things to come. Risked a couple of favourite country lanes for the first time in three months, and it seems like the shite-spreading season is over! Got to 4pm and realised there was plenty of daylight left so added a few miles. And it's a great time to be an ornithologist of any ability. Spring felt just round the corner, though it seems to have nipped in for a kebab today.

36 miles/2300ft. Aiming for my first 40+ miler of the year tomorrow.

My Birthday ride with CC london. Had a great ride with the club 62 miles, was supposed to have been 64 miles one for every year i have been around. ^_^ But we had a youngster with us who started to struggle towards the end of the ride so we took the flattest route back to the pub. We had arranged a little Birthday gathering there with a few friends, but when i got there i had a lovely suprise. cake_2.jpg
Was good to see so many people turn up, Have had a great ride a really nice lunch time drink. Have just ordered a curry for six have got the beers in, Life is great.:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/487294818
Happy birthday

Up at silly o'clock and out on the road bike for February's first outdoor ride, while it was still dark in an attempt to avoid the monsoon that was forecast to arrive mid-morning.
Started off over well worn roads out to Scholes, then Barwick, but instead of heading to Aberford, I took a right down Long Lane to Garforth, then took the A642 back over the motorway and carried on, eventually taking the left to Aberford. Right in the village and under the A1(M), then up the hill to Lotherton Hall and on to Saxton.

You know those winter mornings, when it's grey, with a layer of low lying mist about - and then dawn arrives and the sun burns through and it's one of those glorious winter days?
Well this was nothing like that. It slowly got light, but stayed grey and overcast, with a constant threat of rain to come.

Through saxton and out to Barkston Ash, then on to Church Fenton. Avoided whatever it was that nearly tipped me off the bike last week and through the village. Passed the turning to Ryther but then decided to give that road a try. It would add a bit more mileage on and it was a new road, so I looped back round and headed down there. It's very flat and open, with just a deep dyke at the side of the road to break the flatness. I wouldn't fancy cycling along here on a windy day!
Anyway, I'd soon passed the airfield and the road curved north, for a short time running parallel to the East Coast Mainline. A couple of trains passed, a Virgin East Coast heading for York, and a Grand Central heading south. I've got to say that the 'new' Virgin livery looks rubbish, unlike the GC livery which actually looks like it belongs on a train.

On into Ryther and left towards Ulleskelf, where I was treated to a super wide pass from a tricked out and very meaty sounding Landy, before tackling the run out to the A162. Without last weeks headwind this was a lot nicer to ride and I was over a minute quicker over the first mile...although it had started to rain at this point, slightly earlier than forecast.:rain:
Right and down the hill to Grimston, before hanging a left into Stutton. Decided against tackling Fanny Lane from this direction again and went straight through the village and up the surprisingly steep Moor Lane before the bridge over the A64, then up Garnet Lane and over the A659. I often stop here for a drink and a bite to eat, but the weather was getting increasingly grim so I decided to keep going.:bicycle:
Left again and on to Bramham, where I skirted the top of the village, before flying down the hill and back up onto the bridge back over the A1(M) and the climb out to Wothersome. The rain was getting heavier at this point and it was becoming a simple matter of grinding out the miles to home. Down into Wothersome dip and the slog up the other side, before the steady ascent towards Thorner, where I plunged down the hill into the village and along Main Street, before tackling the inevitable climb back out the other side.
Right onto Skeltons Lane, where I suffered the only really close pass of the day - from a bloody driving school car, presumably on a lesson as it was two up with the sign on the roof. If driving instructors aren't teaching learners to give bikes a wide berth, what hope have we got? :cursing:
Anyway nearly home now, so onto Coal Rd, then local roads to home.

So, that's 36.25 miles (58.33 km) in 2hrs 33m at an average of 14.2 mph, with 1254 ft climbed - most of that in the last third of the ride.
Quite happy with that under the circumstances and glad I made the effort to get out and bank my half century in for February. There were very few other cyclists out today though...:sad:

Sorry no photos today - the weather wasn't very photogenic and I didn't stop anywhere. But here's the map:

View attachment 118133
Finally, things I've learned today:
Even Louise Lear can't be totally trusted with a weather forecast
Altura Nightvision Waterproof gloves can only cope with so much rain
Driving instructors should know better
Lots of 'proper' cyclists must still be hibernating as I'm still setting fastest course times for the year...;)
I really should consider disc brakes on any future road bike, given the horrible noises coming from the brake blocks / wheels today
True, the Met office are a bit like a crap comedy show, the 'proper cyclists' are still 'hibernating', get some 'foul weather' brake pads, they are worth it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't been for a ride since last Wednesday's ride when i struggled. I intended going out today but assessed the weather and decided i couldn't manage 20 plus miles in driving rain so i settled for using my turbo trainer. I managed 18.56 miles doing 2 hours (not too boring as i was watching a decent game of football on the telly) non stop. I swapped it around the medium to hard setting so i didn't cheat!:okay:

Last edited:

Osprey

Guru
Fridays ride, a day off work and it's not raining. A 9am start setting off down North Gower before turning into the 20mph south westerly winds to climb over Cefn Bryn which offers great views south over the Bristol Channel and North Devon coastline and to the north over the Loughor Estuary and the Carmarthenshire hills. Continuing on over Cilibion Common and Fairwood common before turning south into the wind with some drizzle but to fails to dampen my mood. More ascents and decents through Bishopston Valley, Caswell bay and Mumbles Bay before returning up the Clyne Valley back to the North Gower coast. An enjoyable 33 miles and 1700 feet climbing.
A big thank you to this thread, as reading and enjoying everyone else's rides has re sparked my enthusiasm for cycling.
upload_2016-2-6_19-8-22.png

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7.1miles today in the lovely 4C or 40F weather, I saw no other cyclists out there but there were three long distance runners out on the roads. A couple were in regular street clothes, they looked like fugitives from an unseen menace. No met data as my other computer is saving video from another project. I used the Schwinn Impact today, it made fine work of a little cross country jaunt.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Another pre 6 am start for me today up and out of the borough and headed of towards Sywell , Overstone ,Billing ,Brafield , Hackleton ,Denton ,Whiston ,Earles barton ,mears Ashby and home again .

After 24 miles of lugging my steel steed around i got scalped by a n other on his modern flyweight after 300yds of eating his spray i repaid the compliment and then didnt see him again ......

A total of 28 miles in slightly chilly but dry conditions with some big puddles

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well, whatever viral crap I have had for the last few weeks is reluctant to say goodbye. I could only manage 16 miles this morning in strong wind and blinding sunlight. My legs feel like lead, my lungs are like wheezy old bagpipes. Hopefully next weekend will bring benign conditions for a couple of leisurely, long rides.

Anyway, today's highlight was huge flocks of Fieldfares and redwing most of the way round. They'll probably gobble up all of the available food here and be moved on quite soon.

We're off to my nephews for Sunday lunch in a bit, my contribution is this...

image.jpeg

Home made marmalade in it and on it innit! Basically a mahooosive Jaffa cake!

https://www.strava.com/activities/487774076

Top Bottom