Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Yesterday's ride was Stage One of the 2016 Tour De Cochon (A day-long cycling pub crawl to the villages and towns around Ipswich with my school teacher friend Dan in which I take a pork pie). I took Patsy #3 The Hybrid as the weather forecast suggest ice later in the evening.

First port of call was The Crown at Great Glemham where they film the interior pub shots for Mackenzie Crook's The Detectorists.

1.JPG

We had avoided the rain earlier and mostly continued to do so as we headed to Blaxhall and The Ship.

2.JPG

I had to administer first-aid to an old drunk guy who had tried to drive home (we'd only just arrived and didn't realise the other early afternoon drinkers were letting him attempt it) and he had fell over and clouted his head on the tarmac after trying to deal with the irate owners of another car he hit in the car park. The Frist Responder I summoned took over after five minutes and Dan and I drunk up and cycled on as the other customer's attitudes was spoiling the mood.

The remains of the first course of a meal in The Anchor in Woodbridge. I believe I may have a few drinks myself by this time. :whistle:

3.JPG

The last pub was the newly refurbished Turks Head at Haskerton, followed by a ride home to Ipswich in the dark, taking care with the ice. About 40 milees in total, which I'll have to check with @ColinJ whether this will qualifier for another metric half-centaury given the number of stops involved may negate it as proper ride. ^_^

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The last pub was the newly refurbished Turks Head at Haskerton, followed by a ride home to Ipswich in the dark, taking care with the ice. About 40 milees in total, which I'll have to check with @ColinJ whether this will qualifier for another metric half-centaury given the number of stops involved may negate it as proper ride. ^_^
Stops are fine by me ... (Ask CycleChatters on my forum rides how many pee stops I average per outing! :laugh:)

cuberider

Über Member
Todays ride was 13.45 miles out towards Chelmorton just after lunch. The first few miles were hard due to the cold, a strong breeze and my level of fitness after a winter off the bike. The highlight of my ride was a new top speed of 44.3 mph :bicycle: (with the help of gravity)

I stopped when I noticed these in a field......

20160216_135138.jpg

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Sunshine! Almost forgotten what it looked like, bit cold to really dose up on vitamin D as I was mostly covered up, but was back on the fingerless gloves so my digits are vitamined up at least. Went for a dawdle out to Greenwich and a photo of the metropolis which was glistening in the sun.
P1020737_zpsuekvcddn.jpg

Then along the river where the Tonka toys were out, the driver waved me through just before this pic but I still felt he might gobble me up in his grab at any minute.
P1020743_zpsdyxsgbwo.jpg

A bit further along and the green of spring is visible, even if it is courtesy of some algae.
P1020745_zpsukzmqsyr.jpg

A very pleasant day to be out on the bike, just 28 miles around town, not straying too far from the river, lovely stuff. This ride took the total elevation of my rides I've bothered to record on RidewithGPS to over 1,000,000 feet, which has taken me since 2011 to do, over 692 rides and a distance of 18,263 miles to clock up.
https://ridewithgps.com/users/52013
At over 85kg and an inherently lazy bar steward that makes me feel rather pleased with myself, I think some reward cake is in order.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Went for dawdle out to Greenwich and a photo of the metropolis which was glistening in the sun.

At Deptford Creek you could have carried on following the Thames, past the new Waitrose, on to the new wharf development and used the new swing bridge (you can see it on your RWGPS map) to continue your journey along the riverside, rather the using the busy creek Road.

Picture from my office of the bridge taken only this afternoon.
upload_2016-2-16_16-10-10.png

Last edited:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Ah I see, duly noted, love the charmingly named Deptford Creek^_^ I've been cycling along there on and off for years and it seems in a constant state of unfinished-ness, but there is something new every time I cycle it. Not a bad view to have out of the office Ian^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ah I see, duly noted, love the charmingly named Deptford Creek^_^ I've been cycling along there on and off for years and it seems in a constant state of unfinished-ness, but there is something new every time I cycle it. Not a bad view to have out of the office Ian^_^

The view used to be much better when the new development/building wasn't there.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Turbo day again..another go tonight ,wife uses tubo and i keep her company on the excersise bike.
she cant use the excersise bike which she wanted,..i told her i could have a nice pair of sidi shoes for what she wasted on that..tut

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Starting to look a little scruffy, and my boy's head looking like a mop, so into town first thing to try a different barbers (he didn't like the old one). This one got a thumbs up, though that may be directly related to the number of sweets he was given.. Now the cold weather has started I have resumed my Summer hairdo of a Grade 2 all over, makes the woolly hat a must. A few miles with the boy whilst there was still ice on the ground.
Having completed domestic duties for the morning (laying new laminate floor, how dull), an opportunity to pop out into the sunshine arose mid afternoon. A nice spin out through Lyne, up Try's Hill through Longcross and out towards Chobham. Back through Wentworth, over Callow Hill and home.
Back on the commute tomorrow, looks like I may get wet over the next couple of days.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Today was my first ride in 10 days due to suffering with a bad back after using the damn drops on my bike for the second time in three years (the first time also had the same result so lesson well & truly learnt!).

I kept to my flat route to the south of the New Forest taking in Beaulieu, St Leonards & Norleywood on a chilly afternoon & even gave the summer bike its first outing of the year due to the dry roads & fairly blue skys overhead.

34 miles in total & as yet no ill effects so hopefully tomorrow morning will be equally pain free!

https://www.strava.com/activities/494830598

017.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Just a small trike for me today, a flattish 25 miles, just to prove that I can actually ride my trike after my DNF at the weekend :angry:

Gurning into the wind on the way out started to get on my tits, but the ride back was bliss in places so me and the trike are back :wub:

Think I just need to wind my neck in and wait patiently for my bent legs.

gavgav

Guru
Having got very wound up at work over the last couple of days due to NHS Managers who get paid far too much for doing sod all, I was in need of a chill out evening ride, so with my meeting off site finishing early, I headed home and out on the bike around 4:30.

After 2 calm sunny days, of course the wind decided to pick up and gust strongly from a bizarrely chilly Southerly direction as soon as I set off! This meant the initial 7 miles up Lyth Hill and over to Dads to see my Nephew, who is staying for Half Term, was hard going. Even 15 minutes chatting to him is enough to cheer me up :okay:

Properly dark when I set off again and continued into the wind to Longnor, before turning back North and enjoying the tailwind through Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Cantlop. Managed to drag the avg speed up, from 9.5 at the half way point, to 11.2 at the end of the 21.2 miles.

The only slight annoyance was that virtually all the lanes resembled the M25 in volume of traffic tonight. Don't know whether there was an accident on the main roads that caused them to divert? All were well behaved though and I always find they give me lots more room in the dark :okay:

gavgav

Guru
Today was my first ride in 10 days due to suffering with a bad back after using the damn drops on my bike for the second time in three years (the first time also had the same result so lesson well & truly learnt!).

I kept to my flat route to the south of the New Forest taking in Beaulieu, St Leonards & Norleywood on a chilly afternoon & even gave the summer bike its first outing of the year due to the dry roads & fairly blue skys overhead.

34 miles in total & as yet no ill effects so hopefully tomorrow morning will be equally pain free!

https://www.strava.com/activities/494830598

View attachment 119226
View attachment 119227
View attachment 119228

Good to see you out again and hopefully pain free!

Top Bottom