Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Just out triking minding my own business, thought I would climb up Westbury White Horse to test the new low gearing on the trike and so as to go down the other side ^_^

As I climbed there were about a million paragliders floating above me, along with some fixed wing gliders. At the top, I thought I would take a pic for this thread but my phone died, just as some military fast jets nearly deafened me. There must have been some big exercises on Salisbury Plain as there were also the distant thuds of artillery or tank fire.

Just as I thought there had been enough excitement for one day, two apache helicopters were swooping in and out of Keevil airfield at really low altitude for most of my trike back home.

Only downside was not getting the pictures at the top and the rim tape on the front offside wheel rolling to one side and bursting the inner tube about three miles from home. I'm really lucky that didn't happen as I was going down the other side of the horse at 30odd mph. :heat:

The weather was fantastic today so I did an imperial up to Littlehampton and back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/496408313

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very nice day indeed:thumbsup:.

Well I did bunk off again so decided on a more off the beaten track return home.

Headed out of Cambridge by Marshalls and then went towards quy and then towards Swaffham Bullbeck then Swaffham Prior were I turned off the main road and headed to Reach and then crossing Lodes way to Upware.Saw a group of tourers at Reach and again later when taking a pic.

Stopped at Upward for a second pic and got chatting to a National Grid guy who turned out to be the dad of one lad who used to come out on Saturday club rides.

Then headed for home via Stretham and the A10 to Ely.

Lovely afternoon although it got a bit chillier later.

IMG_20160218_153758192_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160218_161345257_HDR.jpg

grumpyoldwoman

Beautiful sunny day here in Somerset,not cold either. Perfect cycling weather.Got the train to Bath,then joined the Kennet and Avon Canal in Sydney Gardens (such happy memories of that park).We really didn't intend to go too far,buuuuuuuuttt we ended up in Bradford on Avon :whistle:

At the start of our ride,Sydney Gardens
DSC_0095.JPG
DSC_0100.JPG
DSC_0101.JPG
The path was a little muddy and full of pot holes!!!
DSC_0102.JPG

DSC_0122.JPG

Such a lovely spot
DSC_0131.JPG

Lovely scenery
DSC_0132.JPG

Took me half an hour just to get her clean when I got home! Poor Bert!
DSC_0138.JPG

That is more Wiltshire mud than Somerset mud - Somerset mud is more gloopy! And it's the wrong colour for Somerset mud!

DSC_0155.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0145.JPG
    DSC_0145.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 31

IBarrett

Über Member
No commute for me today because it was frosty when I looked out so I didn't want to risk it.
But I was itchy today. You know, that feeling you have too much energy in your legs. And I knew my 60 miles a week would be missed if I didn't get out. So I got home as quickly as I could and got out.
20 miles and 900feet ascent wasn't bad, though an issue with my back brake suddenly locking rock solid had me scratching around in the dark wondering what the hell was going on.

Just 4.5 miles now to hit my 60 miles a week target, and that's with no commuting miles so I'm chuffed.

Frosty start so went out a bit later than I might have done, and just a few miles less

However some sun, but a rather cold southwesterly in exposed places

Went via Chertsey and Chobham up the long drag up Red Road through Frimley and Hawley, Yately and Sandhurst up to Finchampstead., skirting round Bracknell (a place worth skirting round). Then up to Winkfield, Did a bit of silly navigation, so went through Windsor and Old Windsor home

48.46 miles @ 16.4 mph.
1857 feet climbed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/497016143

Last edited:

Simontm

Veteran
So day off and a lovely sunny morning, what better day to do my third ride since crash.
Off to Walton via the river. At Sunbury Lock had a fight with my glove - the glove won :laugh:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Contrary to these pictures, it was a combo of ice and slippery mud and puddles - saw one lad out with his dad come a cropper- and after a couple of miles decided to head up to the road and continue.
Over Walton bridge, through Lower Sunbury, up to Hampton Gate and through a very busy Bushy Park - people, that is actually a working road not a path! Over to Hampton Wick, back round Sandy Lane and down through Chestnut avenue to Hampton Court then home.
Slight stiff knee but fine otherwise. 18 miles, 13mph average. ^_^

Old jon

Guru
Off I went. The view from the window did not match the weather forecast, so I took the evidence of my eyes. Mostly correct evidence for a change. I chose a 'flatlands' route for today, leaving the bit of Leeds I live in does not provide many choices, west is ( sub ) urban most of the way to the Pennines, south west and northwest offer similar ridescapes, you get the drift. So east it was, after the usual tour of Holbeck. Bright blue skies and a sidewind most of the way to John O'Gaunts, after the turn for Woodlesford I had a tailwind, all the way through Swillington to Garforth, climb the cliff and on to :--

where I turned left again onto Ridge Road. Right at the roundabout and on to pass the gates of Lotherton Hall, Left to Aberford, Barwick and Scholes, a short stretch of the A 64 to Thorner Lane, Skeltons and Red Hall lanes and rounding off 30.6 chilly miles down Boot Hill and home. Raining it is, now.

cuberider

Über Member
Decided to go for a quick one this morning which was a good call as its not good out this afternoon.

14.3 miles through Harpur Hill on towards Chelmorton and back into town on the Bakewell Road. It was 1 deg according to my phone :cold:

No Alpacas today, I did encounter a horse or two.

20160219_114342.jpg
20160219_114512.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Supposed to be commuting to work tonight, but since the forecast was for heavy rain I figured I'd bring the car. Which left a wonderful crisp morning to go for a ride. Nice 22 miles including a steady pedal around the lake at Virginia Water, very icy in the shade wonderful to ride around before it got busy. Sorry no pics, my gloves won't work with the phone screen, and they are a PITA to get off and on, bit like a wetsuit..
Todays ride took me to 25% of my annual target too, which is nice.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Out later than normal for me today ie 7am wrapped up well just in case it was cold, but soon found out that it was only just a chilly wind .

It felt like 21 of the 27 miles I covered were with a head wind!

Either way it was a good ride and longest to date on my Harry Quinn loads of wild life but none that would stay still long enough...

WP_20160220_002.jpg
WP_20160220_004.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday morning, it was a bit chilly, but I had planned to be a a mates house fairly early as we were changing my gear cables due to some stickage going on.

It was a morning for wrapping up well as it was cold and frosty, but with lovely sunshine.

I rode through Brackmills industry as it's the quickest route to were I was going.

IMG_20160219_152416.jpg

British Pepper & Spice have a factory there, and this morning it was like riding past a snuff shop! I sneezed a few times as the pepper dust just hangs in the air sometimes. Not unpleasant though.

IMG_20160219_115344.jpg

Heading up the cycle path to Hardingstone was decidedly dodgy due to sheet ice were the water drains over the path. I had trouble enough walking over and alongside it, let alone riding!! I flagged a chap down who was riding downhill towards it and he got off and walked. Even then, he nearly ended up on the deck..

Still, onwards and upwards.
After changing the cables and fettling the gears, eating cake and drinking coffee, I had to head home as MrsPete was going out at high noon and I was looking after No.1 granddaughter for an hour.
I returned via a different route through Brackmills as I didn't fancy the slither down the ice... :cycle:

Back home on 18.5 miles with time for lunch, babysitting and then off to w*rk.. Booooo

https://www.strava.com/activities/496957915

Stevec047

Über Member
So today's ride was a little different than my normal ride for as far as I can. Instead I decided to push myself a bit more essentially reducing the number of stops to catch my breath and also to push through the pain of the hills.

So with my set route in place basically starting of from home heading through Sible Hedingham and taking a right to Castle Hedingham I powered all the way through the village and only stopped to turn down towards castle Hedingham. Back on the pedals and another stop whilst a classic car transported was reversing into the gage nearly wiping out a parked car. Off we go again non stop until I reach the post office and jump off for a swig of water. Can't drink and ride just yet not with having to also consider being clipped in.

Loop back round towards the main road and down past the school and then back round to do another loop of Castle Hedingham this time taking a couple of side streets before I headed back home. Quick refuel of water and off again taking a country road that backs on to Sible Headingham and brings you the other side of the village. Short but sharp climb up towards home one last stop as the lane I live down has quite a steep long climb and then home.

7 miles in 45mins of rolling time and a total of just under an hour out. I was pleasantly surprised that with focus I could push further and faster for longer and shaved just under a min of my best time on a section I use on a regular basis occording to Strava.

Weather was a bit hit a miss started off with the winter gloves but within 10mins switched to my cheap btwin fingerless gloves which felt much better.

Clipless pedals haven't caused me any issues and I just love the feel of powering up a hill and feeling the power on the down and up stroke of each leg and watching the speedo showing double figures unlike pre Christmas when I was seeing 6/7mph. Oh and a good increase in average speed as well upto 9.9mph

Check out my 7.0 mi Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/497660815

Attachments

• 20160220_113228.jpg
    20160220_113228.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Out before 9 on the tandem to beat the forecast rain. It was an almost balmy 8°c, but with a cool 15 mph south westerly blowing, which was our headwind for the first half of the ride.
Snowdrops, kestrels, daffs and chaffinches were the order of the day. It looked like birds are pairing up for the breeding season.
Down the hill into Gamlingay, Jo tucked down behind me, I got battered by the wind. At the bottom I said how strong it was..."no, didn't feel a thing!" was her reply!
We stopped at Waresley garden centre for a pot of earl grey and half a sticky bun each.
Coming into Caxton we saw a big flock of Suffolk sheep, they must be on half term holiday.
25 enjoyable miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/497652870

Last edited:
Top Bottom