Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Cold and windy today, stayed on the local castle ground trails

https://www.strava.com/activities/498682309

12741992_10153939628397486_949904697129151283_n.jpg
12715220_10153939628407486_4775467371114438742_n.jpg

Simontm

Veteran
Out and about again to a surprisingly mild ride. Kingston, Richmond (where I amazed myself with a fairly easy climb into town, muscle memory must still be strong!), Kew and then headwind. Constant, bloody headwind through Brentwood to Isleworth, headwind dropped for the pop round Twickenham Stadium to resurface through Whitton, then Hampton.
Into Bushy Park and deer crossing...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Then a glorious tailwind down to Hampton Wick, however duties paid in full with a return to Bushy Park and a wind so strong that I was leaning into it as I went round the fountain.
Anyway, Hampton Court then home.
23 miles, 14 mph av

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another game of Shimano Roulette today. Front shifter slightly improved, but still a bit of a lottery.It either stubbornly refuses to shift down when you most need it to, or else changes down two rings and needs you to lift it back up one ring straight away. Keeps you guessing what's going to happen next. Only three of us braved the club's "chilled" ride today due to the 21mph SW wind. Did an anti-clockwise route from Gloucester out to Stroud via Stonehouse, and into a headwind all the way. Grim. Improved when we got past Stroud and took Thrupp Lane instead of continuing along the valley bottom. Then came the monster climb of the day, up through Toadsmoor Woods to Eastcombe and Bisley (Felt like 17 or 18% in places). Lovely scenery, including views down from above a couple of mill pools, but stopping to take pictures on a climb would have broken Rule 1 of the Donger Rulebook.
Tony & Lisa at Bisley:
23 Bisley.JPG

Gratuitous shot of my old warhorse:

24.JPG

Enjoyed a thrilling tailwind all the way to the outskirts of Birdlip. Strangely, although we were surrounded by low cloud for most of the ride, every glimpse we got of the distant Malverns or the Forest of Dean and the Vale of Gloucester to our left looked bathed in sunshine. A glorious gliding descent through Buckholt Woods near Birdlip, followed by another sweeping descent from Cranham to the top of Nut Hill and a wind-disrupted drop down Nut Hill into Upton St Leonards were all great fun..... Well worth the effort of getting there.
A weary Lisa descending through Buckholt Woods:
25 Buckholt Woods.JPG

37.2 miles in all for me today. Tough conditions, and a climb that tested me to my limits, (any further and I'd have popped a few rivets), but thoroughly enjoyed it again. Don't shy away from the wind, everyone. There's still fun to be had out there.
Cheers, Donger.
https://www.strava.com/routes/4168096

Last edited:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
The good bike got its first outing on the year. Decided to see how the legs would fare against a few hills - not too well was the answer, perhaps doubling up with the strong winds wasn't a great plan.

Mostly known roads, but in the reverse direction to usual. Out to Backwell and up to the airport, across to and up Burrington Coombe, then back down Cheddar Gorge, where I totally failed to regain any average speed as a campervan overtook me right at the top before taking it very gingerly down the bends. Onwards to Wedmore and into the wind of the levels to Mark and up to Weston. Then home via Congresbury, Nailsea and Tickenham ridge.

118 km, and not much left in the legs at the end. Still, not bad for February.

Mrs M

Guru
Not a bad day up here today, a bit dull but no rain or wind.
Out on the Pashley today for a good run, feels easier to ride and tackling more hills :smile:.
Sorted the slipping gears but later in the ride they were playing up again, will hopefully be OK after first bike check.
Just loving this bike :wub:, so much fun to ride :bicycle:. No pre ride faffing, just grab helmet, gloves, jacket and we're off.
Ordered some old fashioned looking lights as the modern Moon and Cateye just don't look right.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The forecast for this morning didn't look promising - strong, gusty winds and moderate to heavy rain, so i didn't both setting the alarm clock.
Obviously, when i did get up it was dry and breezy, but nowhere near as bad as the doom merchants at the Met Office had claimed it would be...

Anyhow, after 50-odd km on the road bike yesterday I decided to go for a leg turner on the hybrid over familiar ground, where I'd be sheltered from the worst of the wind if it got up.
Local roads down to Cross Gates, then up to Austhorpe and along Barrowby Lane to Thorp Park and onto the bridleway / NCN R66. Funnily enough building work has been going on up here to extend the office park for at least a year, but nothing seems to be getting done, apart from the occasional moving of hoardings or diverting of the route across the place. Read into that what you will.
I did a full loop of the roundabout, simply because I could and thought it would give the security guys something to watch on the cameras that are everywhere, then back on 66 and round for the ascent to the bridge over the M1, which was very quiet this morning.
Down the other side and through the woods at a decent pace, past a couple of guys on MTB's heading up the hill who'd stopped for a breather and then a few dog walkers. Between the bollards at the end and down onto the tarmac of Barrowby Lane I got my foot down, changed up to the big cog at the front and the chain jammed. No drive at all and it wouldn't change up or down. Goodness me, I said, :whistle: rapidly losing precious speed. Anyhow, a quick back pedal freed it up enough to go back onto the middle cog and it seemed OK after that, so I'll put it down as one of those things.
Up the hill to Long Lane and left under the railway bridge and left again onto Nanny Goat Lane for the steady climb up to the stables and back onto the bridleway.
This was muddy. Very muddy in fact. :okay:
About half way on I passed a couple of joggers heading the other way, so like the gentleman I am I moved over onto the muddy side of the bridleway giving them the drier (relatively) side. The bloke said nowt, not even making eye contact, but his female companion gave a huge smile and a big thanks as we passed.:angel:
On that subject, what do joggers think they look like, clad in garishly coloured lycra, huffing and puffing around the countryside on a Sunday morning? :rolleyes::whistle::laugh:

Accelerated down the hill and through the tunnel under the M1, getting sideways on the slippery stuff at the left turn and on to the gate - which was closed for the first time in months. Through there, closing it behind me (well it might have been closed for a reason...) and down the hill to the farm, passing 3 very serious looking MTB'ers heading up the other way.
Through gate onto the farm road from the bridleway and then round onto Manston Lane and back onto tarmac. This was about the only place the wind was in my face, but I was soon along this straight and down into the dip by the pet hotel. Up the drag past the sports club and right up and round Pendas Fields, before adding a cheeky loop around the Manstons for a little extra mileage before heading up to home.

10.41 miles in 51 m 23s at an average of 12.2 mph, which is quite respectable for that route (and amount of mud) so I'm happy enough with that.
Edit to add - average temperature of 8 degrees C this morning, which was positively tropical after recent weeks.
Full load for the washing machine too...;)

Sorry, no photos today as I didn't stop anywhere (and it was grey and dull anyway), but here's the map:
21022016.jpg

PS - the wind has increased in strength a lot since I got back in, but the rain has failed to materialise again...another fail from the forecasters.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Barton in the Beans
Is that a real place name? Or is it just a hot spot for bean growing?

Seeing the club ride was starting late - I believe they had a dinner last night
Decided to get out earlier on my own and not having done a really testing ride for the year, decided to do around 80 miles

Headed south over CDhertsey Bridge and headed eventually up Shere Hill
This part of the ride was the toughest, with adverse winds through much of the outward half
Then kept heading relentlessly southwards through PEaslake , Ewhurst, and into Sussex.
Looped round the outskirts of Horsham and Billingshurst

f from wind heading north through FIve Oaks, Bucks Green, Cranleigh, Shamely Green and other delightful villages

Bad planning lead the route up Guildford High Street, both Pavé and pedestrianised. HOwever negotiated this bit of bad planning until the next lead to the route joining the A3
I took exception to this and improvised a route instead.

This ;last section being with the wind was fastest, and enjoyed pushing on the pace.

78.12 miles done, @ 15.4 mph, considering the wind and some navigational difficulties, plus the hills more than satisfied

4236 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/498824710

Katherine

Guru
Out into the wind, oohh tough work, but the tail wind brought me home. I had to stop to remove a layer because it was so mild. It was nice not getting cold hands and feet. 26 miles total and tired when I got back. Just down the East Lancs Rd path plus a a couple of little loops for variation.

Last edited:

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Another game of Shimano Roulette today. Front shifter slightly improved, but still a bit of a lottery.It either stubbornly refuses to shift down when you most need it to, or else changes down two rings and needs you to lift it back up one ring straight away. Keeps you guessing what's going to happen next. Only three of us braved the club's "chilled" ride today due to the 21mph SW wind. Did an anti-clockwise route from Gloucester out to Stroud via Stonehouse, and into a headwind all the way. Grim. Improved when we got past Stroud and took Thrupp Lane instead of continuing along the valley bottom. Then came the monster climb of the day, up through Toadsmoor Woods to Eastcombe and Bisley (Felt like 17 or 18% in places). Lovely scenery, including views down from above a couple of mill pools, but stopping to take pictures on a climb would have broken Rule 1 of the Donger Rulebook.
Tony & Lisa at Bisley:
View attachment 119663

Gratuitous shot of my old warhorse:

View attachment 119664
Enjoyed a thrilling tailwind all the way to the outskirts of Birdlip. Strangely, although we were surrounded by low cloud for most of the ride, every glimpse we got of the distant Malverns or the Forest of Dean and the Vale of Gloucester to our left looked bathed in sunshine. A glorious gliding descent through Buckholt Woods near Birdlip, followed by another sweeping descent from Cranham to the top of Nut Hill and a wind-disrupted drop down Nut Hill into Upton St Leonards were all great fun..... Well worth the effort of getting there.
A weary Lisa descending through Buckholt Woods: View attachment 119665
37.2 miles in all for me today. Tough conditions, and a climb that tested me to my limits, (any further and I'd have popped a few rivets), but thoroughly enjoyed it again. Don't shy away from the wind, everyone. There's still fun to be had out there.
Cheers, Donger.
https://www.strava.com/routes/4168096

Donger - I was thinking about you today when I was out triking, I had symptoms really similar to this with my rear mech on my road bike last year, then on my front mech ages ago - both times after a few rides the gear cables snapped - have you had a look at your cables???

Top Bottom