Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I risked a trike out between the showers today and it was bloody well worth it. Sure there was a headwind on the way out but I seemed to punch under it a bit today on the trike.
On the way back though, it felt like I was time trialling with the wind assist wooooo! Played cat and mouse with some roadies along a rolling section of road on the edge of Salisbury Plain and set a strava second best PR for the road, the original PR being set on my df roadie in a similar tailwind.

Only stopped and turned around for home as I got my obligatory puncture for the ride and spend ages in the gutter filddding with inner tubes and Skabs to get back home before the heavy rain came.

Felt like a week on from my fateful first 100 for the season, my old bent legs are finally arriving.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Up early as usual as i wanted to get a ride in before the heavy winds arrive , did one of my normal loops and had a 60 / 40 split between head and tail winds .

Covered 24 miles so not complaining back in bed now with a cuppa and a biscuit enjoy your day

Unlike the eminently sensible @biggs682, I laid in bed, drinking tea, until the winds started howling around before I got ready to pop out for a ride!! I wasn't intending to go too far today, but had to cut short my ride even further due to a bit of a problem with the rear dérailleur.

DSC_3340.JPG

I'm not sure if you can spot the issue, but it made gear changing a bit 'sticky'. I've got a funny feeling that it's fubar'd but will attempt straightening it out tomorrow. After having to remove the back wheel to clear the blockage, I eased it into enough shape to continue for a few more miles, but not as many as I'd hoped.

IMG_20160221_160824.jpg

After bouncing around the rhododendrons for a while, I headed home via Sywell village and past the entrance to Sywell Reservoir, where I had to pedal quite hard to get down the hill against the wind, then along Cut Throat Lane to home.

A shortened 15 miles in full on gales, but warm and occasionally sunny weather with some fettling planned for tomorrow morning!

https://www.strava.com/activities/498700357

:smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A horrendously early 'out of the door' this morning. 6.30am to cycle the 15 miles to the Dartford crossing to meet up with @martint235 & @rb58 . It was still dark, the wind was blowing and the roads were wet. However, surprisingly for that time of the morning the temperature gauge was showing a quite balmy 11°.
It didn't take long to get to Dartford. Being that early on a Sunday morning there was very little traffic to contend on the usually very busy route.

Approach to Dartford Crossing
20160221_071913s.jpg

The three of us reached the Crossing RVP at about the same time and it didn't take long for the free crossing transport to turn up.
20160221_074031s.jpg

The wind, from the SW was blowing quite strongly. Our heading was NE to the estuary town of Maldon in Essex. We were going to be pushed all the way at a fair rate of knots.

Martin and Ross in Essex country lanes. (Martin, being the norvern salt of earth that he is, made of granite and all that, just doesn't feel the cold)
20160221_093038s.jpg

We were making very quick progress, quicker then I originally thought. So suggested to the other guys that we extend the ride to Tiptree and the Wilkins Jam Factory, another 8 miles further on from Maldon. All agreed, so Tiptree it was. Once again, knowing that the roads around Tiptree are windy at the best of times, it was going to be a tough return.

We got to Tiptree half an hour earlier then we had originally planned of arriving at Maldon. Full English brekkies and teas/coffees were order of the day, delivered quickly and dispatched just as quickly. But we were in no rush as due to the operating times of the free Dartford Crossing we could dawdle otherwise we would have a long wait for transport (it doesn't run between the hours of 2 and 3pm - 'for the convenience of cyclists' so the notice says).

Jams and Marmalade's
20160221_110354s.jpg

Wilkin's Jam Factory farm machinery.
20160221_101618s.jpg

20160221_101639s.jpg

And so the return. We knew it was going to be tough but I don't think we realised at how tough it really was going to be. At times the head and side winds were just brutal. Full on stopping you moving, cycling through treacle headwind stuff.. and hold on to your hats and handlebars side winds. It made for much slower progress then the outward journey. Watching the average speed on the Garmin slowly but surely dropping as the windy miles passed by.
A first for me was to actually have to cycle DOWN Langdon Hill. A hill you can quite easy reach 40mph+ just by coasting down.

We finally got back to the Dartford Crossing at 2.30pm so not long a wait. it meant that we could rest the weary legs before hitting Kent and the homewards journey. We had a little longer to wait then that though. The transport irritatingly arriving 20 minutes late.

Once on the Kent side, the winds really seemed to have picked up. It made for even harder going. We said goodbye to Martin at Crayford and I said goodbye to Ross at Bexley. I had 10 miles to home. I looked at my Garmin. The average speed had dropped from an initial 17.8mph at Tiptree for the outward journey, down to 16mph. I'm not really fussed at what average I do on my rides and would be chuffed to have finished in the 15's on a very windy day like this. So I had a quick rest and gobbled up a fruit bar I had stashed in my back pocket.. and went for it.

I got home. A tad over 112 miles for the day. Half of those very easy miles, half damned hard work. But a great day never the less. OK we had strong winds, but the weather was mild and the rain stayed away... and ended with a 16mph average. I was chuffed.

All in all, a hard but great day's cycling with two other great cyclists. Thanks guys.
210216.jpg

Imperial century # 5 for the year, Century # 171 over all. A few more future Eddington numbers in the bag as a bonus.

And rest... and tea, tea and more tea...

Last edited:
A horrendously early 'out of the door' this morning. 6.30am to cycle the 15 miles to the Dartford crossing to meet up with @martint235 & @rb58 . It was still dark, the wind was blowing and the roads were wet. However, surprisingly for that time of the morning the temperature gauge was showing a quite balmy 11°.
It didn't take long to get to Dartford. Being that early on a Sunday morning there was very little traffic to contend on the usually very busy route.

Approach to Dartford Crossing
View attachment 119692

The three of us reached the Crossing RVP at about the same time and it didn't take long for the free crossing transport to turn up.
View attachment 119693

The wind, from the SW was blowing quite strongly. Our heading was NE to the estuary town of Maldon in Essex. We were going to be pushed all the way at a fair rate of knots.

Martin and Ross in Essex country lanes. (Martin, being the norvern salt of earth that he is, made of granite and all that, just doesn't feel the cold)
View attachment 119694

We were making very quick progress, quicker then I originally thought. So suggested to the other guys that we extend the ride to Tiptree and the Wilkins Jam Factory, another 8 miles further on from Maldon. All agreed, so Tiptree it was. Once again, knowing that the roads around Tiptree are windy at the best of times, it was going to be a tough return.

We got to Tiptree half an hour earlier then we had originally planned of arriving at Maldon. Full English brekkies and teas/coffees were order of the day, delivered quickly and dispatched just as quickly. But we were in no rush as due to the operating times of the free Dartford Crossing we could dawdle otherwise we would have a long wait for transport (it doesn't run between the hours of 2 and 3pm - 'for the convenience of cyclists' so the notice says).

Jams and Marmalade's
View attachment 119695

Wilkin's Jam Factory farm machinery.
View attachment 119696

View attachment 119697

And so the return. We knew it was going to be tough but I don't think we realised at how tough it really was going to be. At times the head and side winds were just brutal. Full on stopping you moving, cycling through treacle headwind stuff.. and hold on to your hats and handlebars side winds. It made for much slower progress then the outward journey. Watching the average speed on the Garmin slowly but surely dropping as the windy miles passed by.
A first for me was to actually have to cycle DOWN Langdon Hill. A hill you can quite easy reach 40mph+ just by coasting down.

We finally got back to the Dartford Crossing at 2.30pm so not long a wait. it meant that we could rest the weary legs before hitting Kent and the homewards journey. We had a little longer to wait then that though. The transport irritatingly arriving 20 minutes late.

Once on the Kent side, the winds really seemed to have picked up. It made for even harder going. We said goodbye to Martin at Crayford and I said goodbye to Ross at Bexley. I had 10 miles to home. I looked at my Garmin. The average speed had dropped from an initial 17.8mph at Tiptree for the outward journey, down to 16mph. I'm not really fussed at what average I do on my rides and would be chuffed to have finished in the 15's on a very windy day like this. So I had a quick rest and gobbled up a fruit bar I had stashed in my back pocket.. and went for it.

I got home. A tad over 112 miles for the day. Half of those very easy miles, half damn hard work. But a great day never the less. OK we had strong winds, but the weather was mild and the rain stayed away... and ended with a 16mph average. I was chuffed.

All in all, a hard but great day's cycling to two other great cyclists. Thanks guys. View attachment 119698

Imperial century # 5 for the year, Century # 171 over all.

And rest... and tea, tea and more tea...
Thanks for the report Ian really enjoyed reading it. You must be hard core cyclists imo.
I was out too at 6.30 but unlike you only for about 30 minutes as my goal for today was to cycle up a hill I had not attempted before. Thankfully I achieved my goal so next time it should be easier.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks for the report Ian really enjoyed reading it. You must be hard core cyclists imo.
I was out too at 6.30 but unlike you only for about 30 minutes as my goal for today was to cycle up a hill I had not attempted before. Thankfully I achieved my goal so next time it should be easier.

Far from hardcore bud. It's just a case of keep turning those pedals. Cycling with buddies such as Martin and Ross makes things so much easier.
Congrats on your goal, it never get's easier, you just get faster. :okay:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Donger - I was thinking about you today when I was out triking, I had symptoms really similar to this with my rear mech on my road bike last year, then on my front mech ages ago - both times after a few rides the gear cables snapped - have you had a look at your cables???
Thanks for that Pikey - but it's actually a brand new cable. Hoping it'll just settle in a after a few rides.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's ride was essentially the same as I did last Sunday - a loop out and around the outskirts of Ipswich and the surrounding villages using mostly back roads with one unavoidable section through town. The differences was the use of a different bike, some added diversions in the hope of getting in 50 miles before home and frequent swearing at the 20+mph winds and stronger gusts.

The idea was home, Levington, Nacton, Ipswich, Sproughton, Bramford, Claydon, Westerfield, Rushmere, Martlesham, Waldringfield, Newborne, Bucklesham, Kirton, Falkenham and home again but I ended up 1.5 miles short of the target so I had to keep going and ended up doing enough additional miles around Felixstowe to get the metric 100 in instead.

Mostly the ride was with side winds which required some caution on the open sections or where there were gaps in the hedges, but there was one long section with a tail wind where I was effortlessly cruising in the low 20s. It was remarkable warm - in the low teens°C but grey and overcast.

https://www.strava.com/activities/498931282

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Did the Reliability ride with the local club today. Wind was brutal in parts, absolutely smashing us to pieces. Turned in a respectable 2 hours 54 minutes for the 100k so pretty pleased, even more so as I did it on my heavy Raleigh winter bike. If the roads hadn't of resembled fields I would of been on the beast and sure to have taken some time off that. Ah well, onwards and upwards toward the Spring.

Last edited:
Short Waterbeach river commute this morning,so the usual dodging of rowing coaches but was a good short test of the new Alpkit tail pack.

It stayed sucure and I didn't notice it swaying too much although I think my packing technique needs some work.

Also had the new Tau front lights(also from Alpkit) on but it was pretty light so not a real test,will have to give them a proper try out on an earlier commute.

Nice to be out again after the week-ends inactivity due to a short sharp cold,but hopefully can get on track as I have a 100k to get in this week sometime.

https://www.strava.com/activities/499451978
IMG_20160222_073531998.jpg
IMG_20160222_073544135_HDR.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Cor ! Blue skies !! Light breeze !!! Let's get fooled again then.

I did have a vague idea of heading off towards Wetherby by a slightly different route, until I rode across the motorway bridge on Dewsbury Road and the wind was just about head on. OK, lets try a morning headwind and a moan in the afternoon . . .
Towpath to Viaduct Road, as I crossed Kirkstall Road for the climb up Cardigan Road I remembered that the river was higher up the side of the valley than I was. Hmmmm.
North Lane and turn left onto the A 660, cross the Ring Road, turn left onto Otley Old Road ( still pedalling uphill ) and continue through Ireland Wood and Cookridge to Old Bramhope village, back to the A 660 and along to the Dyneley Arms. And then :--

Pool Bank is usually fun to descend, no exception this time. A short stop in Otley followed, but the wind was very cold and carrying rain, so the A 660 all the way back to Headingley, towpath full of lunchtime joggers and back over the motorway bridge that started the rethink of the route. 28.8 miles happily ridden, and the wind had changed.

13 rider

Guru
Day of work so after a morning wondering round B+Q picking up bits for a diy project and a quick look round Halfords as it next door .After dinner the sun came out so time for a ride . Did a loop out to Ragdale via Cropston , Rothley ,Cossington then up the Wreake valley though the villages of Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington and Hoby were I swung left down into Ragdale then the climb out of the village and back to Seagrave via the lovely descent of Berrycott lane . Coming round the bend at the bottom at 25 mph came across a lorry coming out the farm onto the single lane road :ohmy: brakes on and lorry went as wide he could so squeezed past and continued on to Sileby . Stopped at mates house for a coffee and chat. Had good half an hour chatting then back on the bike now really feeling the cold the descent from his house was interesting as the school at the bottom was just finishing for the day so cars everywhere .After struggling through the traffic it was straight home putting in a effort to keep warm as it was getting proper chilly:cold:
Home via Mountsorrel ,Rothley and Cropston 27.4 miles done at 15.6 mph .Only saw two other cyclist out today where is everyone at work ? .Anyway back to the grindstone tomorrow :sad:

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Not a bad day up here today, a bit dull but no rain or wind.
Out on the Pashley today for a good run, feels easier to ride and tackling more hills :smile:.
Sorted the slipping gears but later in the ride they were playing up again, will hopefully be OK after first bike check.
Just loving this bike :wub:, so much fun to ride :bicycle:. No pre ride faffing, just grab helmet, gloves, jacket and we're off.
Ordered some old fashioned looking lights as the modern Moon and Cateye just don't look right.
Totally agree on the lights, nice one

Top Bottom