Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
In order to get my February imperial century done I needed to either take a day off work next week - which I can't really do, or get out today and do it.

Checked the forecast yesterday, going to be windy and raining from about 12 o'clock, so the idea was to get up really early and get it done before the rain kicked in.

So this morning got up at 04:30 and out the door just after 5am. I decided to dress for the rain and also took two spare pairs of gloves with me, I hate wet and cold hands. Was either very mild or I was overdressed, I was properly warm right from the off, even took my hat off at 63 miles when I stopped to refill the bottle.

Anyway did my usual and set off with no route planned and in order to get the best of the wind I ended up doing four loops of Wistow-Kilby-Fleckney-Kibworth to get some easier miles in. On one of the loops I went by a couple of horse riders and one commented how I was out bright and early, I didn't tell her I had been on the bike for 3 hours!

Saw loads of horse riders out and a fair few cyclists as well. The wind when heading in any direction with a west in it was bloody hard work. It started to rain at around 70 miles but didn't really get going until I was pretty much at the end of the ride. Didn't take any photos as I was very much in a I must get this ride done mood

104 miles done, February imperial done, now time to fall asleep in the bath listening to Leeds getting battered by Watford on the cup

https://www.strava.com/activities/497714831

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It was a bit of a family outing today. Mrs 26, Liz, Chris and me with Sara P at Newland waiting patiently. The thought was to ride round to Ledbury by way of the crocus display at Coddington. That's just what we did and the crocus did not disappoint. It was new territory for Chris round there but soon we were back where he knew it all. Ledbury was just down the road so we upped the pace slightly and headed for DeLilah's.

DeLilah was busy today but we were squeezed in comfortably once some tables and chairs were readjusted. Now the call was home by the Wyche. So we took the standard run back meeting Pete M out for a sneaky cheeky one on the way. Chat with Pete was cut short as rain began. By the time we got to the top of the climb it was quite damp. No worries tho' as it was all downhill from there.

Just a short one today, up to Winchester on the scenic route.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/497800924

The weather turned a bit gash on the return, but it wasn't cold, so that's something:thumbsup:.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 41

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Todays ride was a bit of a bonus as when I went to bed last night the forecast was for wind & rain so I was considering going to the Arsenal for second time this week (thank god I didn't!) but this morning it had been downgraded to wind & showers so I chose to get my metric ton done for February as I was already late due to ten days off with a bad back.

I decided on a Test Valley route which would mean tailwind out & headwind return, not ideal but at least there would be some hedgerow shelter this way & not the miles of open moors in the New Forest.

Setting off just after 9:30 I soon picked up the tailwind as I headed out on the slightly hillier part of the route, through Shootash, Braishfield, Kings Somborne & Little Somborne before some flatter roads to the north of Stockbridge.

Typically the first shower started around 30 miles in so I couldn't be any further from home so it was on with the gillet, for the remainder of day as it happens, & after a quick stop for lunch I made the turn & headed back, following the river past Stockbridge & along some pretty cack lanes through Houghton, Mottisfont & Lockerley.

However, my day was not done as 15 miles from home I heard a crack as I changed gear followed by a horrible grinding noise & upon inspection my front derailleur had managed to detach itself from the frame & was now rubbing on the chain! Not the end of the world as I was on the small ring so could manage any remaining climbs & would just adjust it so it didn't rub, wrong, I'd moved my seat a little yesterday & hadn't put the multi-tool back in my bag so the journey home was gentle & somewhat noisy to say the least!!

63.1 miles in total & not a bad day despite the rain & the mechanical.

https://www.strava.com/activities/497804530

004.JPG

006.JPG

011.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Todays ride was a bit of a bonus as when I went to bed last night the forecast was for wind & rain so I was considering going to the Arsenal for second time this week (thank god I didn't!) but this morning it had been downgraded to wind & showers so I chose to get my metric ton done for February as I was already late due to ten days off with a bad back.

I decided on a Test Valley route which would mean tailwind out & headwind return, not ideal but at least there would be some hedgerow shelter this way & not the miles of open moors in the New Forest.

Setting off just after 9:30 I soon picked up the tailwind as I headed out on the slightly hillier part of the route, through Shootash, Braishfield, Kings Somborne & Little Somborne before some flatter roads to the north of Stockbridge.

Typically the first shower started around 30 miles in so I couldn't be any further from home so it was on with the gillet, for the remainder of day as it happens, & after a quick stop for lunch I made the turn & headed back, following the river past Stockbridge & along some pretty cack lanes through Houghton, Mottisfont & Lockerley.

However, my day was not done as 15 miles from home I heard a crack as I changed gear followed by a horrible grinding noise & upon inspection my front derailleur had managed to detach itself from the frame & was now rubbing on the chain! Not the end of the world as I was on the small ring so could manage any remaining climbs & would just adjust it so it didn't rub, wrong, I'd moved my seat a little yesterday & hadn't put the multi-tool back in my bag so the journey home was gentle & somewhat noisy to say the least!!

63.1 miles in total & not a bad day despite the rain & the mechanical.

https://www.strava.com/activities/497804530

View attachment 119569
View attachment 119570
View attachment 119571
A like for the report but not for the derailleur. It isn't clear to me from the photo what the damage is - it almost looks like it's cracked the tube. I hope that's not the case.:ohmy:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Up early today to get my ride in before the forecast rain arrived. Mrs ND was much impressed by my keenness at setting the alarm for 5:45 am on a Saturday... :whistle:
Tried to play smart by heading out into a head wind on the basis that I might have a tail wind for the return.

Anyhow, out the door and and up to Coal Road, then straight across the A58 and on to Shadwell. Up through the village, on a climb that still manages to surprise me (apparently it's a Cat 5, and I can well believe it). Through the road works to the traffic lights and a quick right, then left onto Wigton Lane where the road was dug up with more temporary lights - the Gas people have an awful lot of roads dug up around here at the moment. As the lights changed I waved a couple of cars through - no point holding them up for a couple of hundred yards.
Down to Alwoodley Gates and across the A61, then the steady climb up Alwoodley Lane before taking a right for the run down past the golf course and on to Golden Acre Park. Up the hill and left, dropping down onto Otley Road at the roundabout.
Quite busy on here with various vehicles, some better at judging gaps than others, but more on that later.
Overtaken by a small group of riders who were head down, backsides up as they powered past. They said hello though, which was nice.
Through the S bend and down to the Dynely Arms, through the lights and then the downhill run into Otley.
It's worth mentioning the headwind at this point, it was a right sod constantly blustering around and my average speed was suffering as a result. Even on the long descent into Otley it was doing it's best to defeat the forces of gravity. :evil:
Through Otley and over the River Wharf, then a right into Wharfe Meadows Park for a drink, a bit of sustenance and a couple of photos:
IMG_20160220_083838409_2.jpg
IMG_20160220_083856170.jpg

Refreshed and back on the bike, I retraced my route over the river, then cut through the back streets and out onto the A659 Pool Road.
This is mainly flat / gently downhill and I now had the wind at my back so I was rattling on with an average speed north of 21 mph over the first mile. This didn't stop me being passed by another mini-pelton, although this bunch of herbets did squeeze me rather too close to the gutter / kerb for my liking as they cut back in. Probably not intentional, but definitely bad manners.
This was followed by another numpty motorist pass as I got to Pool, with an MGIF overtake and overshooting the left turn they wanted as a result so cutting back in front of me over the ghost island. Through the village and out under the railway viaduct to Arthington, where I'd decided to have another go at my nemesis - Black Hill Lane / Black Bull Hill.
Regular readers may remember that I tackled this by accident in November and it nearly killed me. Well, this time was even worse - not only is it near vertical, but now there was a coating of mud across most of it and I was losing traction, spinning the rear wheel at several points. Eventually I stalled on the slippery surface and I had to complete the hill with the walk of shame.:sad: However the good news is that I'm 3rd in KoM for the hill (we'll gloss over the fact that I'm one of only 3 riders to log a time so far this year...:whistle: )
As I was just about to remount near the top, a couple of cyclists heading the other way started their descent. I tried to warn them about the mud, but they were gone in a flash. Hopefully they heard me and made it to the bottom unscathed.
Back in the saddle and the lumpy descent down towards Golden Acre Park, except i now had a cross wind to content with and I swear at points I was leaning into it at an angle of 30 degrees. Eventually I made the shelter of the trees and then it was a case of retracing my steps back up to Alwoodley Lane, across the A61 and Wigton Lane, then through Shadwell. Stopped again at the roadworks, this time waving a bus through in front when the lights eventually changed.
Onto Coal Road, climbing back to cross the A58 and realised I needed a few more miles to get my metric half century in, so diverted up Skeltons Lane, onto York Road and then through Scholes (nicely quick with the wind behind me), then descended Leeds Road (headwind and having to pedal downhill to maintain momentum), before looping round to home.

32.91 miles (52.96 km) in 2 hrs 22 m at an average of 13.8 mph, with 1,593 ft climbed. Hard work at points, (especially up that bl**dy hill!), but worth it and it's another Metric Half in the bank. I wanted to get some hills in to prep for the Vale Vélo in April, so this was a good starting point to build on.

Two numpty passes from cars (both Mercedes GLA's - read into that what you will) and one from cyclists who should have known better, but I won't let that spoil a good ride in challenging conditions. As someone said, it's all about getting out there.

20022016.jpg

PS - once again the weather forecast was wrong, with the deluge failing to appear...:rolleyes:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Diggs

Veteran
Back in the swing of things but still only hit the high street with the church bells ringing for 9:00 but, as ever, the ride didn't get going until a bit later.
Really enoyed the couple of hours out on the ride today and was in the bath with a large cup of coffee by the time the rain started.
Here's Dan from team Wiggins and Paul as they take on a hill in Woodham Ferrers. Picture my own with a little help from Instagram's filter selection.

IMG_20160220_181517.jpg

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Lovely day in the sunshine. got a ride in after work in the idyllic 19C temps, as did many others, I rode the trail to start, but it was like trying to ride through a crowd, with all the racers in training calling out" on your left" at all and sundry. I had to get all Peoria on someone who wanted to pass me just as I was passing a pedestrian. ("You could wait, ya know, the Tour de France won't start without ya") I headed for the countryside, and had a nice ride from there. I saw the barns were getting open again in the country, and equipment was being readied for plowing and planting.
19C
67F
Winds W8
Relative Humidity 28% (made me thirsty)
Barometer 29.93 at 800 ft.

13 rider

Guru
Had plans for a 50 miler today , woke this morning to the wind howling outside checked weather web site wind only going to get worse so now unmovitivated I slowly got ready and out at 0900 not really feeling it . Up though Newtown Linford really noticing the wind turned up Markfield Lane .Decided to ride out into the headwind and tailwind back which I normally don't do .Found it really hard work and demoralising grinding out on a flat road at 13 mph when normally I be doing 20 mph so plans for a 50 mile were abanded and just see how I feel .Through Markfield out to Thornton reservoir and into Thornton then the nice quiet lanes towards the A447 then crossing the A447 into Oddstone and onto Barton in the Beans . It was turning into one of those rides when at each junction I just decide left, right or straight on not knowing exactly where I was but not lost just aiming for places I know the name of.Through Congerstone and round the back of Market Bosworth where I started to experience field gate moments , you know them no wind ,no wind ,Massive side wind then no wind . first one caught me out but was braced for the next ones .Past Shenton Station and through Sutton Cheney and I finally started picking up a tailwind . Recrossing the A447 to Kirby Mallory . Quick stop here to watch the cars racing around Mallery park race circuit .Through Peckleton and Desford and with the help of a tailwind a strava pr past the Desford tubes then into Ratby then Groby and back to Newtown Linford .One more hill and last strava segment before home ,wind was perfect a good tailwind so full attack rewarded with a pr and second fastest time this year . Back home 39.4 miles done at a surprising 15 mph .Strangely saw lots of other riders around Market Bosworth but very few on the way there or back . By the time I got home the wind was getting worse glad I got the ride in early but found it hard work today .Incredible mild though

Top Bottom