Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
The sun was shining this morning, but gosh, was it cold or what!!! Layered up with 2 tee shirts, a thin woollen pullover, my thick cycling top and my extra large goretex cycling jacket, 3 pairs of socks, one of which was thermal and overshoes, and a wooly skull cap under my helmet. I felt a little too warm about my chest early on but unusually I felt cooler, despite the activity as I pedalled further. The wind was strong and bitter this morning - having looked at the BBC website weather page the actual wind seemed much stronger than the 17 mph forecast. I am sure the BBC knock a few mph off the wind speed for tax reasons or something, but at least it was coming from the south - east as they said it would, so I could plan accordingly.

Across the moss from Formby to Haskayne, passing over the bridge that takes the road over the Cheshire Lines, which is a popular trail between Southport and Maghull and beyond to Hunts Cross - this photo is looking along the CL over countryside towards Maghull
20160216_104106.jpg

Through Haskayne and along Rosemary Lane past the Ship Inn, another excellent pub on the Leeds Liverpool canal - mainly a food pub now, but in the summer, the beer garden is blissful and I have often undone the health benefits of my ride by stopping for a couple of beers in the sun there, roll on warm weather - there was still ice on the canal surface this morning at 11.00 a.m.
20160216_105502.jpg

From Haskayne it was towards Aughton and down Greens Lane, a secluded country lane that takes you towards Lydiate and Maghull. It was so cold today that even the horses were wearing their coats.
20160216_110806.jpg

20160216_110810.jpg

Looking along the Leeds Liverpool canal from Greens Lane
20160216_110911.jpg

A bit further on towards Lydiate, I was picking up speed down another canal bridge when I saw a large wet patch near the bottom, luckily I realised it was icy slush before I hit it and managed to slow down to a safe speed. I then made my way over to Aughton and the edge of Melling at the Derby Arms
20160216_113132.jpg

Crossing over into Bowkers Green Lane I got to the A506 and Bickerstaffe before turning round and finally getting the benefit of a tailwind as I rode some pleasant country lanes on the way home through Ormskirk and Shirdley Hill. Before doing so, however, I decided on a couple of short detours that resulted in a direct headwind and cursing myself before getting back on track with the wind behind me.

Probably my last ride until next week due to things I've got on' including a few days in London where we are going to visit our daughter.

IBarrett

Über Member
I managed a ride out tonight because rumour has it the weather is about to be horrible so my commute will be in the car not on my bike.
Quite pleased at achieving 35 miles. I was surprised at some of the nasty hills on t,he way back and it was obviously a test because my base layer, shirt and the inside of my jacket were soaked.
Just made it back before it rained too.
I earned my fish and chip treat tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Got out for a 25 miler. Outward leg was mostly into the wind. Rather cold and piercing, but I had enough layers on.

Picked up a minor KOM on a little used segment.

Improvised my route on the way back enjoyed the tailwind , though not strong, made for more pleasant cycling

Went back through mostly familiar roads through Virginia Water and Egham back home

25.14 miles @ 16.3 mph
Is this an omen???
I climbed 666 feet!

https://www.strava.com/activities/495505808

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
No ride since Saturday, my ice indicator ( the birdbath in the back garden ) was clear, so despite a smidge of rain, off I went. No matter the weather, I have to ride through Leeds to reach the better looking bits, so Dewsbury Road, Jack Lane, Marshall Street and Water Lane, Great Wilson Street, Crown Point Road, along the side of the bus station to Regent Street, Roseville Road and Roundhay Road to the Oakwood Clock. The climb up Boot Hill was suspiciously easy, I reckon a tailwind helped, Turn left for Shadwell at the pub, left again onto Shadwell Lane and along to Slaid Hill and a right towards Wike and East Keswick, where I stopped for a bite before this minor climb,

Minor for some, that is. Not sure what the road is really called, Potts Hill to me because of the clock in the house wall, just prior to the start of the video. Kept on to Collingham and turned right onto Wattle Syke, at the roundabout took the Bramham turnoff and at the end of West Woods Road ( Way? ) turned right for Thorner, after which a right onto Skeltons Lane takes me back to the top of my favourite hill and home to complete 31.2 continuously drizzly miles. Just the right preparation for a bit of guitar practice.

When I warm up.

Last minute descision to do a commute in today mainly inspired by watching a Rapha film shot in Holland on a day weather wise mutch like today;so HTFU and set off rather than catch the train.

Nice tempo ride in and traffic was low as I think it's half-term around here;met up with JP from the club as he set off from Waterbeach so tempo was kept up in to Cambridge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/496113693

Will see how work is today,if the shortages we hae don't come in I might bunk off again and ride home.

Got a somber ride tomorrow as some of us are representing the club at a funeral of one of the guys who was a regular on the Saturday runs;we have been asked to ride in front of the hearse from the church to the cemetary.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Went out last night for a bit of a training ride. Picked a lovely night for it, it was pishing down, breezy and cold. However, I need as many miles as possible so Rule 5 applies.

First bit consisted of pootling over toward Bellingham in order to turn back round and make an assault on the renowned and much feared (ahem) Col du Beckenham, which I have the fastest time in 2016 for but for which there is obvious room for improvement. So, I blatted up that, confident when I reached the summit that I'd smashed my best to pieces, and headed back toward Park Langley, of which I did several loops, then headed out toward Elmers End and back to West Wickham on the gradual climb.

22.7 miles of suburban drabness at 17.9mph average (well, it was flipping wet, and dark, and I was being blinded by hair product mixing with rainwater and seeping into my eyes).

Got home, drenched, and impatiently checked Strava for the Col du Beckenham time... 1:01. Exactly the sodding same as the previous PB. I was gutted.

However, I did notice a little gold trophy among the segments... Turns out that one of the Park Langley loops was in the all time top ten. At number 10. The fact that there's only been 27 measured attempts should not detract from this fine achievement :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Screenshot_2016-02-18-10-38-26.png

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Bright blue sky, f-f-f-f-f-freezing c-c-c-c-cold but what the heck, there is only one February 18th this year. Mind, I am not saying I did the day justice, my ice detector had a thin skin, and when I reached the canal, via the usual meanderings from Dewsbury Road, there was ice on the canal as well. Bits of the towpath were not as grippy as usual, so I reckoned to stay on the busier roads where the nice kind cars had melted the ice. A whole 27.9 miles continued along Viaduct Road, North Lane, and however many name changes the A 660 goes through on its way to Otley. A sandwich there and a return along the same route, it was way too cold for me to try any variations, not that the video looks that way . . .

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With no further back problems after Tuesdays ride, I took to the roads again this afternoon for a 30 mile round trip to the north of the New Forest this time & against the cold north-westerly breeze for the out leg which took in Landford, Hampworth & Redlynch on quiet forest roads & country lanes.

The return leg, with the wind at my tail, was a more pleasant experience going down Roger Penny Way, through Bramshaw, Furzley & Tatchbury for home & a nice hot shower to warm me up!

https://www.strava.com/activities/496331488

020.JPG

I thought it was a little too cold for sunbathing personally!!

022.JPG

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Nice bright day out there today. Small chance of ice but we didn't find anything much in the end. Sara P was ready for the off when I rolled up. The plan was Ross-on-Wye as we don't get there very often for some odd reason. Sara was on a leash so I shortened the outward leg a bit by heading straight down to Rye Cross but after that it was back to my usual lanesy habitat. I did wonder about my sanity in that regard on Three Ashes Lane where hard packed mud with a skim of wet on top made things more challenging that is strictly permitted. We made it through unscathed.

At Gorseley the triangle did it's usual confusing thing (when will I ever understand navigation in the Gorseley Triangle - Bermuda is trivial by comparison I'm sure) and I ended up on the wrong lane. It's not a big deal really although I think there may be a tad more climbing involved. It's worth it really for the views as one rides along the ridge up there. Not long now as we dropped to Lea and then took the dodges for the run around the lump that is Penyard Park before heading for the cafe in Ross.

The plan had been to take the short run back so we headed for Upton Bishop needing to dodge the hedge cuttings on the road (why do they have to spread these thorny things all over the road?) for Kempley and Dymock. Now Sara suggested a change of plan which would get her home but add miles for me. So rather than head up the bigger roads I did some on the fly navigating by looping around to Broom's Green and on for Bromsberrow. Now it was a straightforward run up the western side of the Hills for Cradley and my parting with Sara. I took the standard run around the north of the Hills for my longest ride of 2016 so far. I don't know how much climbing today but a fair number of feet for sure. All good tho'.

D

Deleted member 1258

My usual Thursday morning scenic ride to Hatton Locks, 53 miles in the sun. cold day with icy roads in places first thing, I walked my road and the next one when I started out, Netherwood lane was also iffy, as I turned left a dog walker warned me it was icy all the way to the crossroads by Baddesley Clinton, plus part of Nuthurst Lane was also slippery. It had all cleared up by the time I left the cafe though and it was a lovely ride home in the sunshine.

Top Bottom