Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Rather than Waiting for my van to get serviced I put the bike in and went for a ride. Started at Heathrow to Ashford, then to Laleham. Looped round via Staines and then back along the A30. A nice steady 21 miles in the sunshine.
3 Mar 2016 Laleham Reach.jpg

Laleham Reach
3 Mar 2016 T4 RAB.jpg

Another bunk-off ride home this afternoon.

Was nice about half an hour before I left but the ride was under grey clouds and some light rain:sad:

Still wind had changed direction so with another tail wind could take it relatively easy after the mornings dash in.

https://www.strava.com/activities/507760613

Pleased with the days rides but they were put into perspective after seeing another club members ride;183 kilometres on a single-speed with a 27kph average;bloody Germans:laugh:you can go off people sometimes.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Another outing around the Ashleworth loop today. Still that cold head/cross wind causing problems out over the common although yesterday's cold wet and windy had blown itself off somewhere. The better day had brought out a few wild daffs in the copse on the climb to Redmarley. Lovely cheerful things. Must be time for another visit to the golden triangle.

Not a lot to say about the run to Highleadon. On the way around by Hartpury College tho' I had some issues with horses both out on the road and in towed horse boxes. Then as I took to the Woolridge climb the signs said road closed. Yes - a hole had been dug but I got past right on the edge of the tarmac. The views from the ridge were rather good too today as the air was fairly clear. It's always an interesting perspective of the Malverns from there.

Down on the Hams I stopped to checkout the wildfowl. I'd brought my easy to carry monocular this time and it rewarded me by helping find a Pochard and some Pintail as well as those others in my last post. There was also an Egyptian Goose way over the back. Something I'd have missed without the monocular. Lots of lapwing were about too and a Chinook flying the hedge hopping training regime put a lot of stuff in the air. Another birder who had joined me complained about this practice but the guys have to train somewhere.

As I rode back with some assistance from that wind I bumped into a chap I sometimes talk with. He's quite keen on his riding and goes off for longish periods to France with his bike. So I got a lot of catching up chat. From Tunnel Hill it was the standard run back. Nice wee ride out today although it would be nice to have less wind and more heat.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
....... Another outing around the Ashleworth loop today. ...... Then as I took to the Woolridge climb the signs said road closed. Yes - a hole had been dug but I got past right on the edge of the tarmac. The views from the ridge were rather good too today as the air was fairly clear. It's always an interesting perspective of the Malverns from there..

We're doing Ashleworth via the Woolridge on our club ride on Sunday morning. A nice flat part of the world, except for that little beast of a climb up the Woolridge. Short but deadly if you leave it to the end of a long ride. Great views of the Cotswolds, the Malverns and the Dean Hills from there, and usually the first lambs of the year. One of my favourite places.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
We're doing Ashleworth via the Woolridge on our club ride on Sunday morning. A nice flat part of the world, except for that little beast of a climb up the Woolridge. Short but deadly if you leave it to the end of a long ride. Great views of the Cotswolds, the Malverns and the Dean Hills from there, and usually the first lambs of the year. One of my favourite places.
Indeed it is a lovely spot. You get the Black Mountains and May Hill too. Didn't notice any lambs today but I'm a wee bit blind at the moment (not eyes but attention). What cafe will you be aiming for?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The commute was a little different today as Doug joined me for part of it despite it being a bit damp out contrary to what was forecast.

I took him over Lyth Hill to avoid the worst of the morning traffic then to make up for that took the road to Cross Houses and Atcham which is a little longer but avoids a couple of short but sharp climbs. Doug doesn't go as quick as I'm used to when commuting but we still made reasonable time up to the point where we planned to go our seperate ways.

After an "interesting" day at work (can't say any more than that) it was nice to have the ride to clear my head a bit. I was working against the wind but the actual ride time was quite a bit quicker than it felt at the time. There were a couple of loose sheep to negotiate and I was caught by a couple of chatty riders who were heading for Church Stretton. I'd have talked with them for a bit but unfortunately they caught me just before the junction where I turn off that road.

A fraction under 22 miles for the day for me at 12.3 mph average. Doug's ride finished up as 21 miles and he seems happy with his progress so far.:okay:

DSC0003205.jpg

I have to turn off for work about here. Doug about to head his own way.

DSC0003206.jpg

It might have been cold and drizzly but we still had a much better commute than this lot. It's five miles from here to the next exit - could take a while.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
By the time a mate and I got out for a ride this morning, we were on about Plan 'D'.
Initially, there were 5 of us intending to do some Road miles. One chap dropped out due to having to wait in for a parcel. Second chap couldn't make it for some reason or another, so the remaining three of us decided to ride around Harleston Firs on the MTB's.
By this morning, with another chap pulling a sickie with a bad cough, the last two standing, Bob and myself, headed off towards Market Harborough for a sausage sarnie and a coffee.

DSC_3397.JPG

The old railway track was as mucky as expected due to the recent rains, but at least the sun was shining.
I didn't think we were heading that way, so had not brought lights with me, so the two tunnels were quite interesting as they are unlit. Still, Bob had a light, so we shared the beam...

DSC_3405.JPG

One of the fords on today's ride. Sometimes useful for cleaning the mud off the tyres, but not worth it today as they just got covered again after a few miles..

IMG_20160303_144911.jpg

After a stop at the Waterloo Cafe for refreshments, we returned via the same route, as far as Merry Tom crossing, and thence down and up the bridleway to Pitsford Res. Having done a few miles, we decided not to do a circuit, but rode homewards via the 2nd ford on Spectacle Lane. Handy really, as it washed some of the muck off the tyres, and with most of the last miles on tarmac, they stayed clean this time.

Having started off sunny, the last our was in chilly drizzle, with a bit of wind to make it seem even colder. Still, nice to get out for some miles anyway!

A pleasant 40 mile leg stretcher..

https://www.strava.com/activities/507622181

:smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I set off with the intention of meeting up, and keeping up with the Thursday group(faster than the Wednesday ones).but they lost me. I followed on, as i know their route, but soon decided to go elsewhere. I decided to not let the disappointment of being dropped get to me by doing a 60 mile ride at my own pace. That's the first time i've done 60 miles for what must be 30 years!:smile:

gavgav

Guru
Aiming to stop at Staunton Garden Centre - about half way into a 35 miler. Never tried the place before so don't know what to expect.
I've stopped there in a car before now. Not a huge choice on the food front but what they do has always seemed nice to me.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I set off with the intention of meeting up, and keeping up with the Thursday group(faster than the Wednesday ones).but they lost me. I followed on, as i know their route, but soon decided to go elsewhere. I decided to not let the disappointment of being dropped get to me by doing a 60 mile ride at my own pace. That's the first time i've done 60 miles for what must be 30 years!:smile:

I had to laugh. I met up at the same place, where another rider i hadn't seen before was waiting. He told me the Thursday group were only slightly faster than the Wednesday group and i had to to wait by the roadside and follow them when they approached. They shot past doing about 20mph, then became a fading image in the foreground. No way could i catch them up to even attempt following them!:laugh:

Last edited:
Went out today - the back held up well, I can still feel it but it is hardly notiiceable while cycling

Decided on hill work today

So over Staines Bridge and attacked the Egham hill(s) from a number of angles
Went up :-
Crimp Hill, Tite Hill, Priest Hill, Egham Hill/Middle Hill, Prune Hill, and Egham Hill in that order

Got a few PRs mostly on downhill segments

COmpared to last year when I was doing such things, always felt I had more in the tank afterwards
Pleased too with average (moving) speed of 15.6 mph

24.1 miles @ 15.6 mph and 1289 feet climbed (So 50 feet/mile, about as hilly as I can make a ride in this immediate area))

https://www.strava.com/activities/508293309

Last edited:
Top Bottom