Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Waited for the showers to stop and the clouds to clear, then went for it before "Storm Jake" arrives. (They always sound more alarming when you give them a name). Did a fairly standard midweek dawdle along the banks of the Severn as far as Arlingham and then across to the wonderfully named "Splatt Bridge" at the bottom end of Frampton on Severn before riding the wind back home again for 27.5 very relaxed miles in all.

The leaves are not yet out on the trees and hedges, but Spring has definitely sprung around here. Some random shots of Severnside in glorious Spring weather:
1. The Anchor Inn at Epney:
30.JPG

2. View to the North from the Anchor .... Malvern Hills brooding in the distance:
31.JPG

3. At "Framilode Passage" (where there used to be a rope ferry over towards Rodley several decades ago):
32.JPG

4. Newnham on Severn, seen from "Arlingham Passage" (Nope, no rope ferry here any more either):
33 Newnham from Arlingham.JPG

5. From the Bell Inn at Frampton on Severn:
34 From The Bell, Frampton.JPG

6. Gloucester and Sharpness Canal (from Splatt Bridge, Frampton):
35.JPG

It's glorious out there today, guys! Those of you in Southern England should make the most of it before the storm strikes and brings snow and wind again.
Cheers, Donger.

Just a short hop from Waterbeach station to work but made 'interesting' by a strong headwind;still good training and all that even only for 10k and topped off with a PB:smile:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/505905224

No time for pics but it's nice arriving in daylight now.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Mojo's coming back. 23 Miles Sunday, a chance to get out tonight, anticipated it all day, one eye on the weather. Home at 4pm, chuck bags down, throw some gear on and out. Its only 10 miles, quite hard, around town. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, for the first time in 2 or 3 years..I was buzzing when I got home.
Hehehe..

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Been a disappointing week for me. My intended 20 miles on Wednesday last week went badly with enough pain to be concerned about after only 1.5 miles, so aborted the ride. Rested up and on the special tablets for a few days. Tried again on Sunday night after work, and managed 9 miles with only minor pain, so looks like these things work. Commuting has been off the cards the last week, but a few days off coming so hopefully things will ease off and I can pick the miles up again.
Off to the Cotswolds next week so hoping to put a few rides in whilst there, somewhere different.

Another short ride in from Waterbeach station today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/506683324

Was supposed to be a proper commute but backed out when I saw some of the forecasts for strong winds,turned out it wasn't anywhere near as bad as made out so should have trusted my instincts and gone for it.

Should be ok for a proper run tomorrow.

A bloke was admiring the bike at Ely before I got on the train,wondering what frame it was and asking about the 'guards.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I didn't bother with the club ride today. The snow put me off, so i put the bike in the car and headed west to the coast at Lytham St Annes. No snow there but the wind was certainly blowing. I managed 25 miles. I was doing 24 mph with the wind and a mere 9 mph against it! I've always though of riding on the flat as being easy but not when it's that windy! It's also boring too. a bit like cycling on a turbo trainer i'd say.

D

Deleted member 1258

Another cycling adventure today, strong wind, flooded lanes, wet feet and another puncture, and all for charity. I rode the Guy Salmon/Coventry Road Club charity ride for the NSPCC today, rode the long route and with riding to and from the event clocked up 67 miles, my longest ride this year. It had been stormy here yesterday, strong wind and heavy rain, and that had washed the muck and rubbish out the hedges and off the trees, I punctured in Holly Lane Balsall Common on the way out and as I rode round the route I saw a few people with punctures, there was also a lot of surface water about, the lane I was worried about, Preston Lane had almost dried out by the time I got there but a section of Firs Lane, just past the old church was flooded, it was a bit deep and I had wet feet for the rest of the way round, it also was deep in Exhall a bit further on. A well organized and supported ride I had a stream of riders pass me as I pootled round on my fixed and I had company for the last part of the ride, he passed me as I climbed a hill in Lapworth St and I caught up a bit further on and we rode together to the finish. Another hard morning out on the bike but it was fun.

View attachment 118241

Today they handed over to the NSPCC a check for £2079 raised by the riders on the Guy Salmon/Coventry Road Club Charity Ride on the 7th of February.

12823422_1224726587555796_317138327860484737_o.jpg

Very last minute descision to commute in today so made the most of the North-Westerly and bashed it in to work and with it came a nice wind-assisted 31kph average:smile::bicycle:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/507423674

Now enjoying a nice hot-chocolate/protein drink and a (tiny!)mars bar,porrige and coffee to follow:cuppa::hungry:.

Plenty of courtesy about today especially from the trucks that came past;only knob end was someone who beeped there horn when going past:unsure:,although it could have been someone who knows me but I didn't recognise the car.

Nice morning too(especially the tail wind^_^) and much better than forecast suprisingly:rolleyes:.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Lovely fresh bright day here..2 hr xc ride to clear the lungs..
been on the turbo all week, so needed to get out on the mtb..
weather's all over the place atm..all seasons in a week..

20160303_101256.jpg
20160303_094925.jpg
20160303_103404.jpg

Nene valley railway looking towards wansford.
view towards sth W of peterborough..
Ferry Meadows gunwade lake..with the recently sold Travalex building in the back ground..used to be Thomas Cook head office

Last edited:
On Monday moved some filing cabinets around here at home, later that afternoon started getting some back twinges
Due for a ride yesterday so confined it to a turbo session (weather was foul anyway)
Back seems to be slowly improving. Hopefully riding will not be impacted

Have now signed up for the Velothon in Wales in May
Need to get rtaining more rigorously organised

On Monday moved some filing cabinets around here at home, later that afternoon started getting some back twinges
Due for a ride yesterday so confined it to a turbo session (weather was foul anyway)
Back seems to be slowly improving. Hopefully riding will not be impacted

Have now signed up for the Velothon in Wales in May
Need to get rtaining more rigorously organised
The Velathon Wales is a corking route.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
27 mile return ride from Braunton to Instow for lunch. Met up with a couple of mates in Barnstaple then took the main road to the sea front at Instow. Lunch at the Instow Arms was a turkey sandwich and two large glasses of Merlot followed by a steady wobble back along the Tarka Trail. Perfect!:hungry::cheers:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

My regular loop this morning, 53 miles stopping at Hatton Locks for something to eat and a gossip. Strange morning, it seemed still but there was enough of a breeze to make me work for my speed. It also took me ages to warm up this morning, since I had angioplasty and stenting done in 2008 I've had to take care to warm up properly, this normally doesn't take long but this morning it seemed that I was about half way to the cafe before everything settled down. The first part of the ride was like going back to commuting, leaving the house half eight quarter to nine time and crossing Coventry at the tail end of rush hour. Near Hatton Country World I got beeped for pulling right to safely pass someone walking their dog, I made sure it was safe and clearly signalled what I was doing, I think they expected me to ride through the dog walker. I also saw some spectacular bad driving whilst crossing Coventry at the end of the ride, Beak Avenue the driver of a large lorry appeared to be racing to get to a pinch point before me, it was a no contest, I heard it coming up behind me at speed and just got out of the way. so not a great morning out but I enjoyed most of it.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
The seemingly ever lasting winter nearly got the better of me today as there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm as I prepared to set off on one of my regular midweek sorties around the New Forest & the one I usually use when the westerly wind blows.

I'm not sure if the lethargy was catching but I only saw two other cyclists out today as I took in Minstead, Bolderwood, Bramshaw & Furzley for another 30 mile trip which in the end I was glad did as once the headwind bit was out of the way was as pleasant as always.

https://www.strava.com/activities/507661122

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

Top Bottom