Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Fastest and longest ride of the year to date. 56km out and back from Stornoway to Callanish Stones. Only a touch above zero and frost on the ground so I kept to the gritted roads.

https://www.strava.com/activities/504183318

12803197_10153955878327486_4683016902474009276_n.jpg

Last edited:

Osprey

Guru
An 8am start, 4 degrees and an even colder 15mph ENE wind. Neglected to wear my overshoes, and paid for it for the full 34 mile outing. The ride can only be described as a real test of attrition with mental willpower being needed more than physical fitness. Cefn Bryn common, Cilibion Common and Swansea Bay catching the chilling wind head on but somewhere in the ride the stress and strain of the working week dissolved away. 34 .5 miles and 1770 ft climbing.
Looking forward to the next ride though.

upload_2016-2-28_16-43-43.png

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Had a nice ride out on my Todd only the 3rd ride of the year just getting over this man flu that's been going about no incidents and to my surprise not loads of cyclists out. Had to travel to do some hillside I'm blessed with mostly flat roads around here. Good to get out though :okay:

https://www.strava.com/activities/504220381

(P.S I'm not a Strava basher just find it the easiest way to track my rides and walks on the i phone).
All the best
Mark.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Blue sky, bright sunshine - great for a bit of off-road fun on the hybrid.

None of yesterdays shenanigans getting ready, so up and out and after a quick warm up on local roads, it was across Cock Beck and the mudfest that was the bottom section of Wood Lane, where I almost got stuck...:rolleyes:
Managed to get onto firmer ground and bypassed the 100 yards or so of quagmire, picking the lane up again where it was firmer under wheel. Past Chippies Quarry and out onto Scholes Main Street. Got a good lick of speed up down the hill, tyres shedding mud everywhere :whistle:
At the Coronation Tree it was a quick right, left and back off road onto the bridleway Bog Lane, past the former smallholding and out into the countryside. Straight on where it becomes Barnbow Lane and the farmer (?) had been out filling in a lot of the craters and sorting out the muddier bits, so it was a faster and less muddy ride than I'd anticipated. Up the hill through the woods and then the fast descent down the other side. I'd forgotten just how bumpy this section was ^_^ and there were also a few fallen branches to avoid - all strangely laid squarely across the lane..?
Anyhow, back across Cock Beck and up onto the tarmac of Manston Lane and the straight run down to Cross Gates past the former tank factory and the new 'executive' homes opposite. Across the railway line and climbed Austhorpe Lane then onto Barrowby Lane, before taking NCN R66 through Thorp Park. Up to the M1 bridge and down into the woods before stopping for a couple of photos and a drink:
IMG_20160228_0956296982.jpg
IMG_20160228_0957335032.jpg

Back on the bike and down the hill to Barrowby Lane proper, then the run up to Garforth.
Left and left again onto Nanny Goat Lane, where I stopped to let a horsebox coming down from the stables pass, set off again and stopped for a car doing the same, set off again and had to stop a third time for another car. I guess the riding lessons finish at 10am...something to bear in mind! :rolleyes:
Past the stables and onto the bridleway, which was not quite as muddy as last week, down the hill under the M1 tunnel and out the other side past joggers, dog walkers and other cyclists. Out onto Manston Lane for the second time and a slightly shorter run up to Pendas Fields, into a surprisingly stiff head wind down the hill past the sports centre, then alongside the beck up towards home, adding a final loop around the block to push me over 12 miles.
Then rode past my gate to get 12.12 miles on the Garmin before stopping it... ;)

So, 12.12 miles in 1 hr 7 m at a moving average of 10.8 mph, with 646ft climbed.
Not bad for a Sunday morning, especially after the big ride on the road bike yesterday. Plus above all, it was fun and that's what it's all about isn't it? If all this sunshine continues, a few other local lanes might dry out enough to be rideable too...:sun:

28022016.jpg

I've been working up to this one, visiting my Mother by bike. Did it on Friday, but had no internet access until I got home this afternoon. I used http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/ to plan the route, but re-entered it to Ridewithgps to create a navigation file. 83.5 miles, previous furthest was 70 miles. The route was mostly quiet lanes with a stretch of the Stafford to Newport Greenway - that was a bit rough for 25mm road tyres but not desperate.

It was a chilly start and I'm glad I took some spare clothes.
26Febride.png

I didn't have much energy left at the end, and was aching in various places but a 100 miler seems doable in the not too distant future, probably when it warms up a bit.

Hmm, I think the garage door could do with a coat of paint!

Graham
P1080575 (copy).JPG

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A nice relaxed 15 miler here in the flatlands today. Out past Lode village is a fairly remote area of fen called Oily Hall.

image.jpeg

I like this area- always quiet and lots of grass tracks to play with.

image.jpeg

In the remotest bit is a 'wild' campsite. You can hire it for the weekend ( from the National Trust). At least I know where to head for when Mrs G finally throws me out for leaving the bike in the kitchen.

image.jpeg

The facilities are basic but include a compost loo. Lovely.

While out yesterday I was lucky enough to see three barn owls at dusk near Swaffham Prior, so I headed that way again hoping to see them.
image.jpeg

It wasn't long before one turned up. And then got closer...

image.jpeg

And closer!

image.jpeg

then he saw me, did what I guess is an owl 'tut' and headed away.

image.jpeg

He was a real beauty.

Headed home in the twilight- another memorable ride here today.

Billy Wizz

Über Member
A nice relaxed 15 miler here in the flatlands today. Out past Lode village is a fairly remote area of fen called Oily Hall.

View attachment 120321

I like this area- always quiet and lots of grass tracks to play with.

View attachment 120322

In the remotest bit is a 'wild' campsite. You can hire it for the weekend ( from the National Trust). At least I know where to head for when Mrs G finally throws me out for leaving the bike in the kitchen.

View attachment 120323

The facilities are basic but include a compost loo. Lovely.

While out yesterday I was lucky enough to see three barn owls at dusk near Swaffham Prior, so I headed that way again hoping to see them.
View attachment 120324

It wasn't long before one turned up. And then got closer...

View attachment 120325

And closer!

View attachment 120326

then he saw me, did what I guess is an owl 'tut' and headed away.

View attachment 120327

He was a real beauty.

Headed home in the twilight- another memorable ride here today.
That looked like a real nice day.

iandg

Legendary Member
I've been working up to this one, visiting my Mother by bike. Did it on Friday, but had no internet access until I got home this afternoon. I used http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/ to plan the route, but re-entered it to Ridewithgps to create a navigation file. 83.5 miles, previous furthest was 70 miles. The route was mostly quiet lanes with a stretch of the Stafford to Newport Greenway - that was a bit rough for 25mm road tyres but not desperate.

It was a chilly start and I'm glad I took some spare clothes. View attachment 120318

I didn't have much energy left at the end, and was aching in various places but a 100 miler seems doable in the not too distant future, probably when it warms up a bit.

Hmm, I think the garage door could do with a coat of paint!

Graham
View attachment 120319

My old stomping ground. I grew up in Stafford, I know them roads well :smile:

toffee

Guru
Out yesterday with Mrs T. Thought we would do a longer ride as we are in training for a tour to Paris in a month's time.

Wind was a pain but the route was arranged so that the wind would blow us home. 45 mile round trip to Odell country park. Pity about the puncture just after Turvey, the thorn was a bugger to get out of the tyre with cold hands

_20160228_192708.JPG

Derek

Top Bottom