Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
An early start today for a ride with a friend of mine. It was -1 when we set off so glad I had layered up and had my thick winter gloves on. Even so the light wind and moving through it brought a chill to my face. Setting off earlier also meant the traffic was light which was a good thing as we travelled mostly on A roads.

We both drove over to meet at Slaithwaite (pronounced Slawit!!) (near Huddersfield) and headed up through Marsden on what was a long, steady incline where the gradient didn't really vary at all before a nice descent down into Delph then Saddleworth.

As we hit Greenfield I mentioned to my friend that we'd be passing Dovestone reservoir so a quick detour to enjoy the lovely light and amazingly calm water before we got back in the saddle and tackled the 4 mile and just shy of 1,000ft of hill that was before us. On the way up we were passed by two older gentlemen who were going at a fair pace and making it look easy. An exchange of pleasantries on the way past and a bunch of kudos from me - they made it look easy!

An undulating ride at a nice pace across the barren moors before we took a left and head towards Honley and down off the tops. Our route then took us on a few back roads up hill and down dale before a final couple of pulls taking us past Blackmoorfoot reservoir and finally down into Slaithwaite.

29 miles and 3,150ft of climbing - thoroughly enjoyable and great to ride out with someone for a change rather than solo.

#tiredlegs

Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 20.47.20.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/504234778

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
We couldn't have been far apart today @toffee
I set off from home, once it had warmed up a tad, with a view to get a 50 miler in (to help burn off the excess calories from yesterdays family dinner!)

Eschewing the warmth, cake and coffee at Salcey Cafe, as I reckoned it would be heaving on a Sunday, I continued on my route in the general direction of Newport Pagnell.

IMG_20160228_160319.jpg

Cooks Oak is said to be 400 years old, and hollowed out for the last century or so, so I leaned my bike on the gatepost in case I knocked it over... :whistle:
Once I'd reached Stoke Bruerne, I stopped for a short time for a few pics. It was surprisingly quiet there today.

DSC_3397.JPG
IMG_20160228_160416.jpg

Why do they need to put a sign up to advertise Psychic Evenings? Surely I should just know when it's going to be on!

Anyway. After this, I met the headwind I hoped I was going to avoid. It wasn't blasting through as it has done recently, but still strong (and chilly) enough to have to put some more effort into the pedalling to keep moving and stay warm.
Heading homewards via the canal banks ( the joy of choosing the CX this morning) I stopped for a coffee and sausage roll by the Bike/Skate Park on Bedford Road and watched the kids doing stunts on bikes, skateboards & micro-scooters. There were loads of them zipping around the ramps and rails.

After this stop, I was on about 50 miles, so thought I'd extend the end of the ride to get a Metric Century in..

Metric-ton.png

Just over 63 miles in quite chilly weather and a breeze that dropped the temperature a little bit more. I wish I'd have worn my bib shorts under my new Altura Night Vision tights as the manhood was getting rather nippy! I was considering using my buff for other purposes at one point...:stop:

https://www.strava.com/activities/504597133

:smile:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
A ride up to Hesketh Bank this morning. Heading north up Southport Coast Road the views were excellent due to the clear air. As you ride up that road you can see various hill ranges and landscapes; to the east is Rivington / Winter Hill near Horwich, looking further round to the north and then the west there is nearby Parbold Hill and then Pendle Hill up the Ribble Valley, then the Bowland hills and eventually the south edge of the Fylde at Lytham and beyond to Blackpool where the tower stands out, as well as the Pepsi Max Bug One a lot of the time. On a clear day, like today, the Lake District hills can be seen beyond the Fylde, and this morning their snow capped peaks were clearly visible. I tried to take some photos but my phone's camera isn't really capable of doing the scene justice, but to see it for real was great.

From the north end of the Coast Road I headed through Banks Village, then out into the expanses of agricultural land between Banks and Hesketh Bank before heading through Hesketh Bank to get to Tarleton and then Mere Brow before riding past Martin Mere and skirting Burscough and passing through Scarisbrick and Shirdley Hill and then home.

A chilly morning, but the light wind made it a good one to be out riding and there were dozens of other cyclists out and about. A few photos I took, below:

Southport Pier from the sea wall by the Esplanade - that grassy area used to be a beach - sadly it has got more and more overgrown in recent years
1.jpg

Looking from the northern part of Southport's Coast Road over the Ribble estuary towards Blackpool with the Lake District in the far background - if you look carefully you can see the tower and the Big One roller coaster
2.jpg

The Bowland hills seen from the north end of the Coast Road by Banks
3.jpg

The Bowland hill again, this time seen from a country lane out in the wilds of Banks / Hesketh Bank
4.jpg

....and again, this time from the road outside Martin Mere Wildfowl Trust site in Burscough
5.jpg

Looking across some freshly ploughed fields in the Lancashire agricultural countryside
6.jpg
7.jpg

A nice ride in the late winter / early spring sunshine, and another 30 miles on the odometer. The Mapmyride app on my phone was playing up but I think that's because I moved it to the SD card to save space, I have put it back on the phone hard drive now so hopefully it will be okay again, but anyway my cycle computer was working normally so I knew my mileage and average speed of 13.6 mph. Over 500 miles now this year so on course for 3,000 for the whole year as it stands.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
A benign end to the month, weatherwise, and a familiar route out to Horbury Bridge, up through Denby Dale, down into New Mill, then Holmfirth and home through Huddersfield. It was a cold 'un but loads of fellow travellers were out and about. Good to see.

47 and a bit miles with 2,300 feet of climbing. Felt good, and it brings my Feb total to 464 miles and a tad over 24,000 feet of up. Niiiice.

https://www.strava.com/activities/504530023

Last minute commute today so a steady roll down the A10 on a lovely(apart from going to work that is)crisp Monday morning.

First ride on the Hutchinson Sectors and even set up with tubes they roll so much nicer than the Vittorias;also first longer ride with the Alpkit Koala tail pack and it's really good,not even packed to max and I didn't notice it at all.Third debut was for another Alpkit bit of kit and that was the Gourdon 20l rucksack;again hardly noticed it and a nice simple design,just a light comfy waterproof bag for a bargain price too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/505169700

And a couple of pics,the bike in full commute mode and Marshalls airport in the morning sun;

IMG_20160229_072805938_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160229_072222898_HDR.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Sort of an average day today, promise of warmth ( relative ! ) around midday, and I have not visited Otley since last Monday. I did think of going to Shipley, to talk to the makers about the headset and how much play it had, but the weather deserved more than a ride to Shipley. Holbeck three sides, canal towpath, Viaduct Road and Cardigan Road to North Lane and along the A 660 towards Otley. As I went around the Bramhope roundabout I caught sight of the end of Creskeld Lane . . .

and I must send my heartfelt thanks to the driver of the Range Rover, the vehicle is a super efficient oncoming traffic detector ! Anyroadup, turn left and under the viaduct, Pool and Otley, where the promised warmth was lacking, so a very swift sandwich demolition followed by the main drag back to Leeds and the Cardigan Road shortcut. Twenty nine miles from start to finish, plus 178 yards to be pedantic, thoroughly enjoyable ride.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Still chilly but dry. There was a drag of a headwind all the way south over the common with a bit of a respite in the hills around Redmarley. Back to the headwind again on the drop to Highleadon. I opted for the climb to Woolridge today but forgot about the view. Hazy I think so probably didn't miss much.

I stopped at Ashleworth as wildfowl were present for the first time this winter. I could hear the Wigeon and see Teal, Shoveler and Grey Lag with plenty of Coot. Further up the road flocks of Redwing and Fieldfare were a welcome sight and a bit further on a Sparrowhawk was attempting to grab a Redwing. Those Redwing managed to escape by getting out of the tree on the opposite side to the hawk.

I was taking it quite steady today but my legs did begin to grumble towards the end. So I rolled back with my brain musing on stuff. It does that sometimes. Brains - who needs them? Thankfully I'm friends with mine.

grumpyoldwoman

Bit on the cool side today,I was only planning on nipping into town,to the post office,vape shop,Tesco,then home for a lazy afternoon.
Buuuut the lazy afternoon never happened! Between leaving the vape shop and getting to Tesco,I decided to have a short bike ride,lolol,two hours later I got to Tesco!

The Donkey Field - spring is on her way!
DSC_0005.jpg

Lime Kiln
DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

New tarmac! Yayyy! They just need to do the other part!
DSC_0016.jpg

See what I mean?
DSC_0018.jpg

I love this spot,lovely vibes here.
DSC_0019.jpg

The church on the cliff
DSC_0026.jpg

Anchor Head
DSC_0028.jpg

This is what I come out here for! Good cuppa and lovely views out over towards Brean Down
DSC_0031.jpg

Last edited:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
A rare Monday ride for me today, which of course had nothing to do with the fact that it was dry, sunny & I only needed a few hundred more feet to complete the Strava climbing challenge for February. :whistle:

Setting off towards the flatter south of the New Forest, even the wind was being kind with just a gentle breeze coming in off the Solent as I made my way down to Beaulieu, passing en-route a fair few other cyclists who, to a man, all spoke or waved as we passed.

The scenery changed from forest to farmland as I continued south towards Norleywood & this could have been my downfall as 12 miles in my rear tube practically burst on me, thankfully not whilst going too fast or downhill. (damn hedge cuttings I think!) Whilst changing the tube a kind gentleman on a hybrid stopped to see if I needed assistance, I didn't but he stayed & we chatted to a good 20 minutes about cycling & how he had just battled cancer, which was quite a humbling experience if I'm honest.

Worryingly, I didn't find anything in the tyre to have caused said puncture & having now used my spare tube it left the dilemma, do I turn back (12 miles) or carry on planned route (18 miles)? Carry on it was & I made my way up to East Boldre, back across the forest & through Ashurst & Woodlands for home & a pleasant 30 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/505394450

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

Last edited:

Spartak