Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
A trip out to Shipley today, birthplace of the bike, to talk about gear change problems ( minor but irritating ) which were solved by fitting a new chain. There is not a lot of interesting riding going out to Shipley unless you take extremely dog leg routes, which I did not. I wanted the job done.
A little video may demonstrate

Oh aye, 25.5 miles round trip.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
A trip out to Shipley today, birthplace of the bike, to talk about gear change problems ( minor but irritating ) which were solved by fitting a new chain. There is not a lot of interesting riding going out to Shipley unless you take extremely dog leg routes, which I did not. I wanted the job done.
A little video may demonstrate

Oh aye, 25.5 miles round trip.

Ellis Briggs? That place always looks shut when I pass it.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Such beautiful sun today and little wind, so out with the best bike!

It was so much warmer, I decided to hit some of the hills. Off we go to Armathwaite via Cotehill, hmm, not too bad, lets head to Ainstable.

Climb, climb, climb, stop for a flapjack. Climb out of Ainstable :heat: You really need to get out more now Mike :laugh:, and finally over to Newbiggin.

Left turn to head for Castle Carrock, which is, on average, gently downhill. Wheee! Flying along now that the hills have woken the legs up, but I'll head over to How street and have a run down there to Warwick Bridge.

Then it was the usual homeward run. Surprised to find a few PB's popping up on Strava, so I can't be in too bad a place :okay:

28 miles of much fun :biggrin:
https://www.strava.com/activities/516895233/

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hired a fat bike for me today and a semi fat for Mr M.
Set off from near Papagayo and worked our way along the coast through Playa Blanca then past where we are staying. Stopped for a healthy brekkie, bacon sandwich and soft drinks. Did some "off road stunts" :blush:. Carried on along the coastal path admiring the views. Had to return bikes by 3pm so went back along the roads and cycle paths. Had the bikes 4 hours and did around 18 miles. Magic bikes and great fun to ride^_^ :bicycle:.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lovely blues skies out there but a chill North Easter blowing. I thought a meander around the lanes near Newent and Kempley would reveal how spring was progressing. That's where the wild daffs are at their densest.

It wasn't too hard on the ride down with a bit of wind assistance. Wild daffs appeared on the climb to Redmarley. Things were looking good. On through the narrow lanes to Oxenhall and Gorsley there were more daffs, especially in the woods around the ford. I looped north for Shaw Common where a walker was transfixed by a veritable picture postcard scene of wild daffs.

On the run through the woods to Kempley Green there were some wood anemones and primrose to be found too. I took the lane for Much Marcle so that I could loop back by St Mary's church and the daff display in the churchyard. Then at Kempley I stopped at the daff field. Some had got going here but time required for the full whack.

Time to head back so lanes again from Dymock to round the southern end of the hills and a brief stop for the Drooping Star of Bethlehem which are in fine form at the moment. I now had a bit of tough riding into the nor-easter. I thought sticking in the Castlemorton lanes would help. They did but there was enough nor-easterly riding for me to get the full "benefit". All good tho' as I'd had a lovely outing making my routing up in the golden triangle and enjoying the results.

Old jon

Guru
Ellis Briggs? That place always looks shut when I pass it.
They moved into a still scruffy shop on Commercial Street ( on the way to Saltaire ) at the beginning of last month. I was told they needed the previous shop premises to expand the workshop into. They have a couple of their hand built bikes in the window right now, marked down by quite a lot.

No I am not on commission.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I have completed that just twice (the hill challenge)
Feb last year, was just crazy hill repeats
October had seriously tough rides and did 25000 feet climbing

Can't seee myself completing distance challenge, surely after a while they are just junk miles?

The climbing is tough locally as you know, so I am finding myself doing loops round the local hills to get the numbers up. Last week in the Cotswolds was nice and no shortage of hills there.
Distance challenge has become habit, but no longer realistic as a target.

Todays ride was a short stint in Poole, having dropped the van off to be converted to a camper. Apparently too far to cycle at 90 miles, so the train got me home.

TeeShot

Veteran
image.jpeg
A lovely day for going no where in particular. A little loop, Alderley Edge, Henbury, Gawsworth and Jodrell Bank (cafe stop) :smile:
Second ride this year without mudgaurds

Well two commutes in a row,spring must be here^_^.

Went on a slightly longer route this morning taking in the pleasures of the 20 pence road to Cottenham,once again the Sectors felt ace and another good average without too much effort;tyres seem to be sealing now was only a little bit down this morning and stayed up all the way in.
Think the initial set -up could have been better but as it was the first time fitting tubeless tyres it w's not too bad I suppose and some lessons learnt too.
Back to the ride and saw what I think was a little owl but can't be sure as it was going away from me but it didn't look like a barn owl.

https://www.strava.com/activities/517456938

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
10 days short of 4 months since I fractured my spine and 4 ribs, I went for a pootle. Joined the Peak Forest Canal at Romiley, over the aqua duct at Roman Lakes, up through the locks at Marple then onto the Macclesfield Canal as far as Higher Poynton. Didn't stop at the Cafe as it was busy, and cold out - much cooler than the last 4 days.

16 slow miles in 1 hour 30 mins. I felt surprisingly good despite the problems I have. It was actually easier riding, than it is getting out of a chair, or indeed walking.

Photos from the return..

Halfway at the 8 mile point,
20160315_115810[1].jpg

Today's mountain. Surprisingly steep, and it caught me out on the way out. Granny gear for the return...

20160315_121259[1].jpg

Nice little 180 degrees ramp off the canal to change 'sides' - another steep slippy bugger.
20160315_122836[1].jpg

View down Marple Locks - A total of 16 locks, some engineering !!!
20160315_123424[1].jpg

Another Engineering Marvel(s). View of the Viaduct from the Aquaduct over Roman Lakes in Marple
20160315_123853[1].jpg

20160315_123856[1].jpg

Pleased to get out at last. Not sure I'll be on the road for a long time as my body is still pretty fragile. Hopefully, if a bit warmer I'll stop at the cafe next time (outside seating only). Next adventure is to ride to Portland Basin in Ashton.

Mrs M

Guru
10 days short of 4 months since I fractured my spine and 4 ribs, I went for a pootle. Joined the Peak Forest Canal at Romiley, over the aqua duct at Roman Lakes, up through the locks at Marple then onto the Macclesfield Canal as far as Higher Poynton. Didn't stop at the Cafe as it was busy, and cold out - much cooler than the last 4 days.

16 slow miles in 1 hour 30 mins. I felt surprisingly good despite the problems I have. It was actually easier riding, than it is getting out of a chair, or indeed walking.

Photos from the return..

Halfway at the 8 mile point,
View attachment 121702

Today's mountain. Surprisingly steep, and it caught me out on the way out. Granny gear for the return...

View attachment 121703

Nice little 180 degrees ramp off the canal to change 'sides' - another steep slippy bugger.
View attachment 121704

View down Marple Locks - A total of 16 locks, some engineering !!!
View attachment 121705

Another Engineering Marvel(s). View of the Viaduct from the Aquaduct over Roman Lakes in Marple
View attachment 121706

View attachment 121707

Pleased to get out at last. Not sure I'll be on the road for a long time as my body is still pretty fragile. Hopefully, if a bit warmer I'll stop at the cafe next time (outside seating only). Next adventure is to ride to Portland Basin in Ashton.
Well done :smile:

Top Bottom