Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

10 days short of 4 months since I fractured my spine and 4 ribs, I went for a pootle. Joined the Peak Forest Canal at Romiley, over the aqua duct at Roman Lakes, up through the locks at Marple then onto the Macclesfield Canal as far as Higher Poynton. Didn't stop at the Cafe as it was busy, and cold out - much cooler than the last 4 days.

16 slow miles in 1 hour 30 mins. I felt surprisingly good despite the problems I have. It was actually easier riding, than it is getting out of a chair, or indeed walking.

Photos from the return..

Halfway at the 8 mile point,
View attachment 121702

Today's mountain. Surprisingly steep, and it caught me out on the way out. Granny gear for the return...

View attachment 121703

Nice little 180 degrees ramp off the canal to change 'sides' - another steep slippy bugger.
View attachment 121704

View down Marple Locks - A total of 16 locks, some engineering !!!
View attachment 121705

Another Engineering Marvel(s). View of the Viaduct from the Aquaduct over Roman Lakes in Marple
View attachment 121706

View attachment 121707

Pleased to get out at last. Not sure I'll be on the road for a long time as my body is still pretty fragile. Hopefully, if a bit warmer I'll stop at the cafe next time (outside seating only). Next adventure is to ride to Portland Basin in Ashton.

Well done :smile:

Old jon

Guru
Well done @fossyant .deserves much more than a like.

Distinctly cooler this morning, with promises of warmer later. Door to door 31.3 miles this morning, Otley the intended destination and a zigzag route chosen for a change. A lack of concentration and I missed the turn off Water Lane to Office Lock and that probably added two hundred yards to the ride, I just took the next left. Off the towpath at Viaduct Road, up that long Cardigan Road to North Lane, left onto the Otley road as far as Lawnswood, turn left onto Otley Old Road through Ireland Wood and Tinshill and then left again to wander along behind the Leeds and Bradford airport, which was quiet this morning. Turned right on the Bradford - Harrogate Road for my WHEEEEEEEEEEE ! ! ! down Pool Bank and then the valley bottom road to Otley.

The direct road back after a sandwich break, with a small diversion to Kirkstall to ride a bit more towpath than usual and miss all those pesky traffic lights. The warmer later never happened today.

Crandoggler

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 70

13 rider

Guru
10 days short of 4 months since I fractured my spine and 4 ribs, I went for a pootle. Joined the Peak Forest Canal at Romiley, over the aqua duct at Roman Lakes, up through the locks at Marple then onto the Macclesfield Canal as far as Higher Poynton. Didn't stop at the Cafe as it was busy, and cold out - much cooler than the last 4 days.

16 slow miles in 1 hour 30 mins. I felt surprisingly good despite the problems I have. It was actually easier riding, than it is getting out of a chair, or indeed walking.

Photos from the return..

View attachment 121702

Today's mountain. Surprisingly steep, and it caught me out on the way out. Granny gear for the return...

View attachment 121703

Nice little 180 degrees ramp off the canal to change 'sides' - another steep slippy bugger.
View attachment 121704

View attachment 121705

Another Engineering Marvel(s). View of the Viaduct from the Aquaduct over Roman Lakes in Marple
View attachment 121706

View attachment 121707

Pleased to get out at last. Not sure I'll be on the road for a long time as my body is still pretty fragile. Hopefully, if a bit warmer I'll stop at the cafe next time (outside seating only). Next adventure is to ride to Portland Basin in Ashton.
Brilliant news well done @fossyant take it steady

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

Photos from the return..

View attachment 121702

View attachment 121703

View attachment 121704

View attachment 121705

View attachment 121706

View attachment 121707

:bravo:

gavgav

Guru

Photos from the return..

View attachment 121702

View attachment 121703

View attachment 121704

View attachment 121705

View attachment 121706

View attachment 121707

Fantastic news :notworthy::bravo:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less

Given my predilection to crash into hedgerows and tumble into ditches when I've been on a stage of Le Tour De Cochon and have beers inside me, this is definitely one path I'd have to avoid. ^_^

Today, another little ride to keep up with my challenge of cycling at least a mile every day this year. Fingers crossed, but the Man Flu appears to be abating. Hopefully the sun will still be there when I can manage longer rides - I envy the lot of you, but am thankful for the photos. (And vids @Old jon )

Alex H

Legendary Member
The thermometer on our south facing veranda says 17°C - the weatherman says it will be sunny and 14°C this afternoon with no cloud :smile:

So why is it that once I get on the bike a few km from home it's :cold: when then clouds keep covering the sun.

Today it's a circular route across country to St-Yrieix-sous-Aixe and back by the Vienne valley.

Just outside Cognac-la-Forêt these two ran to the gate to see me off, while I was stopped for a drink. There was a third little white thing, but it didn't seem so bothered.

P3150147.jpg

Another amusing hamlet name

P3150149.jpg

The 12th century church at St-Yrieix-sous-Aixe

P3150150.jpg

Back along the Vienne - here you can actually see the river, most of the time it's hidden by forest and the road goes up and down the valley sides. This is near to St Victurnien.

P3150151.jpg

A bit further along there is a hamlet called Moulin Brulé or burnt mill. The ruin is pictured here.

P3150152.jpg

Another few km and I'm back to Saint Junien.

P3150154.jpg

Here's a map of the route - 45km in just over 2 hours :smile:

route.jpg

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
OK, the temptation was too great. Despite the fear of getting mud on my new bike I went out.

After the recent weather it was strangely cold with a very fine spray of rain, not enough to get you wet though.

So here we have the obligatory picture of bike and pub.

1.JPG

There are still quite a lot of narrowboats moored up for winter, this trip there were none broken loose.

2.JPG

But spring is on the way, and

3.JPG

Someone has been building themselves a platform to watch the world go by. Nice bench.

4.JPG

I haven't had a lock cottage for a while, so here is one. Not quite as peaceful as it looks, as the railway gantry can just be seen through the trees on the left.

5.JPG

And though this house looks palatial the railway runs just at the back. At least it's not through the middle.

6.JPG

This 18th century cottage is quieter, but to the left is are industrial units.

7.JPG

The Claude Butle making use of it's natural camouflage to hide against a gate.

8.JPG

On my last post I had a picture of houses seen from the canal, this is from the houses looking toward the canal and railway

9.JPG

The local council has a policy of encouraging the demolition of industrial units along the canal and replacing them with housing. This unit is the latest to go.

10.JPG

Well the mud is drying but there's still a lot of it about. The bike performed well, it's a lot lighter than the Tesco special but the lack of rear suspension was surprisingly noticeable. Gears are a lot better though and there wasn't the constant squeaking from the suspension. I didn't manage very well on my hill challenge, but the road was busy so that's my excuse. Truth is probably I'm not fit enough. Not many people out today, it wasn't the nicest of weather.

12.5 miles max 18 avg 6.8 mph. Year to date, 55.4 miles, Target 400 miles.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
View attachment 121624 View attachment 121621 View attachment 121620 View attachment 121616 Hired a fat bike for me today and a semi fat for Mr M.
Set off from near Papagayo and worked our way along the coast through Playa Blanca then past where we are staying. Stopped for a healthy brekkie, bacon sandwich and soft drinks. Did some "off road stunts" :blush:. Carried on along the coastal path admiring the views. Had to return bikes by 3pm so went back along the roads and cycle paths. Had the bikes 4 hours and did around 18 miles. Magic bikes and great fun to ride^_^ :bicycle:.

"Papagayo" means parrot.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE="fossyant, post: 4196562, member: 557" View attachment 121706

Given my predilection to crash into hedgerows and tumble into ditches when I've been on a stage of Le Tour De Cochon and have beers inside me, this is definitely one path I'd have to avoid. ^_^

Today, another little ride to keep up with my challenge of cycling at least a mile every day this year. Fingers crossed, but the Man Flu appears to be abating. Hopefully the sun will still be there when I can manage longer rides - I envy the lot of you, but am thankful for the photos. (And vids @Old jon )[/QUOTE]

It has a gravitational pull. Remember there is no barrier the other side and it is a serious drop. I used to poop myself walking over it, never mind on a bike. Today, I stopped for photos. I suppose nearly being paralysed changes that ?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Well, my mate Mark had said that he still hadn't done his first 100k..........
It was a beautiful early Spring day yesterday in North Devon, so we arranged to meet up at the Bike Shed in Barnstaple. I rode in from Braunton and he rode in from Northam on the other side of the estuary - a nice gentle warm up for both of us before the joys of Exmoor hills.
Leaving the shop at about 0945, we made our way up the A 39 out of town, turning left after a mile, or so, to head off on the 6 mile climb through Muddiford up to On a Hill garage where we turned right. We followed this road up onto Exmoor and out through Blackmoor Gate, Brayford and Aller Cross before ending up at South Molton for lunch. Double beans on toast and a mug of tea hit the spot for me. Suitable refreshed, we headed off on the Umberleigh road towards Torrington. It was warming up a bit by now and I had to stop at the top of the Atherington climb to remove overshoes, top layer, cap and change gloves to mitts. Phew - it felt like summer!
Next up were the dreaded 'big dippers' at Langridgeford. They are both 20% down and 25% up. The first one isn't so bad as the climb is only about 150 yards. The second is a killer! Hitting the bottom at 50+mph, all momentum is lost after about 50 yds and then you're faced with a 400 yard, one in four, grind to the summit. Don't you just love Devon?!
That saw off another bidon!
After we had recovered, it was on through High Bullen and then to Great Torrington. We dropped down to the Puffing Billy and stopped at the cycle hire centre for a cuppa. From here it was just an easy 20 miles along the Tarka Trail to home. Mark left me at Bideford - chuffed to bits that he'd finally achieved his goal.
My Garmin battery died at Fremington Quay, so I had to record the rest of the ride on my phone.
Well, this pensioner got back home tired, but pleased with an excellent day out. Wish my legs were 40 years younger! LOL
Total mileage: 72
Total climbing: 4600
Average speed: 12.9 mph
Maximum speed: 50.3 mph :ohmy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom