Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@fossyant fantastic news.
(Sorry it's a day late, OH's b'day yesterday)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
10 days short of 4 months since I fractured my spine and 4 ribs, I went for a pootle. Joined the Peak Forest Canal at Romiley, over the aqua duct at Roman Lakes, up through the locks at Marple then onto the Macclesfield Canal as far as Higher Poynton. Didn't stop at the Cafe as it was busy, and cold out - much cooler than the last 4 days.

16 slow miles in 1 hour 30 mins. I felt surprisingly good despite the problems I have. It was actually easier riding, than it is getting out of a chair, or indeed walking.

Photos from the return..

Halfway at the 8 mile point,
View attachment 121702

Today's mountain. Surprisingly steep, and it caught me out on the way out. Granny gear for the return...

View attachment 121703

Nice little 180 degrees ramp off the canal to change 'sides' - another steep slippy bugger.
View attachment 121704

View down Marple Locks - A total of 16 locks, some engineering !!!
View attachment 121705

Another Engineering Marvel(s). View of the Viaduct from the Aquaduct over Roman Lakes in Marple
View attachment 121706

View attachment 121707

Pleased to get out at last. Not sure I'll be on the road for a long time as my body is still pretty fragile. Hopefully, if a bit warmer I'll stop at the cafe next time (outside seating only). Next adventure is to ride to Portland Basin in Ashton.
Nice one foss. Chuffed for ya. Let us know when youre going to Ashton and I'll meet ya for a brew eh.

Went out to do a ride with a couple of training exercises in

Did some short sprints and some Hill reps on St Ann's Hill (steepish but not long)
Then went up to Virginia Water and up to Winkfield.
Had intended to do full loop, but we have a delivery so did shorter loop.

Speed less than it could be but there were recovery periods between intervals

39.79 miles @ 15.9 mph
1493 feet climbed

Good ride and there was a chilly wind to contend with, it was just north of east

https://www.strava.com/activities/518439634/

Old jon

Guru
Thanks for the nod @Jon George , there is another here.

Another deceptive morning and off I went. Into one of those lovely headwinds, which kindly turned into a tailwind on the return journey, but for the first time in months I took a rest threequarters of the way up Boot Hill. At the top, turn right for the first of the lane trilogy, and after the turn onto the final lane comes this bit

On to Bramham and Wetherby and the inevitable vanishing sandwich and back via the A58 to complete 30.9 miles for the day.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Forecast was good but there was a bit of condensing mist first thing. The main issue was the chill north easter with just a tad of too much about it. Pete M appeared as arranged in Upton and we took to the standard southerly loop for Drakes Broughton. There isn't much shelter in these lanes and the slog to Strensham had Pete complaining. I've learned he doesn't like wind and these complaints confirmed that. Over the airfield wasn't so bad, or were we just getting used to it? When we swung briefly westwards for the North Piddle lane we had a bit of respite. The lane through North Piddle actually provided some shelter. Indeed Pete said what a lovely lane it was.

We crossed the main Stratford road and gently climbed around Grafton Flyford to drop for Stock Green. Pete was asking how far now. I guessed 5 miles. Just Bradley Green and the wonderfully named Flying Horse Lane and my speedo ticked up 5 miles with just a few hundred yards to the cafe. What a great guess!

I noticed a large number of cars parked up and my spirits dropped. The Jinney Ring isn't known for its speedy service. But lunchtime had brought out the efficient lady servers so we were soon supping soup, cake and tea. I don't know where the time went (chatting if I'm being honest) but we'd stopped well beyond the usual 40 minutes or so. Probably well over the hour (like 1.5 hours) so it was a shock to find we may be marginal on time getting Pete back for an appointment.

We headed for Gallows Green and dodged over the Birmingham canal for Oddingley and a super quiet lane which crosses the canal and then immediately presents one with a level crossing. It's the only one I know where the chap has to come out from his box and open and shut the gates you. I asked about automation. November was the reply. Must get back there before then for an historic photo. I wonder if this is the last personally operated level crossing in the country?

The level crossing man had warned Pete about an up coming hill. Steep but short I said. If one doesn't know about it it comes as quite a surprise as it's pretty flat in these parts. Now back to a fairly standard route by White Ladies Aston and on over to Wadborough. We jinked for a change by Pirton Court before tackling Kinnersley Bank. Back at Upton we found we'd returned in 1 hr 40 mins. It had taken 2 hr 40 mins going out into that wind. No worries. Pete was back in plenty of time and we'd both had a good one. I finished off through standard lanes for home. Not a bad few (69) miles today, sociable, fun and energetic (thanks to that wind).

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
[QUOTE 4197288, member: 9609"]Spring in the Valleys (think it touched 15°C) - 8 mile in and 8 mile out, 3 hours - I should have took longer, too nice a day for being in a hurry
bow_1731a_zps15rzvhfn.jpg

bow_1733_zps81qc1smm.jpg

bow_1736a_zpsmtsxzw96.jpg

bow_1741_zpsyenabmld.jpg

bow_1756_zps139ajgo2.jpg

bow_1737_zps6vspaouo.jpg

bow_1744_zpsjnljuf12.jpg

bow_1751_zps5fxkvd4x.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Stunning place to ride!! Great photographs ..

Katherine

Guru
Beautiful afternoon sunshine but the wind!!! Still a lovely ride though. 36 miles, down to the Port Salford Greenway to Peel Green and onto The Cadishead Way past Barton Airfield towards Irlam.

A fireless engine from the old soap works on display next to the path.
IMG_20160316_141423327_HDR.jpg

Then over Warburton Bridge and a lovely view from the top looking back towards Manchester.
IMG_20160316_142714142.jpg

An enjoyable ride round the Cheshire lanes in a loop through Dunham Massey.
IMG_20160316_145015794.jpg

Then back over the ship canal at Warburton and up through Glazebrook and Culcheth. Home along the East Lancs cycle path. Into the wind for the last 12 miles!

Attachments

• IMG_20160316_145815766.jpg
    IMG_20160316_145815766.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20160316_150638808.jpg
    IMG_20160316_150638808.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Very misty morning commute but did a long one via 20 pence road and Cottenham as the traffic is a bit lighter early on.

HRM strap didn't like the cold start,either not registering or giving a low reading and it took until Wilburton to settle down.

https://www.strava.com/activities/519135085

Starting to feel the strength coming back but we'll see tomorrow as I'll be doing a couple of longer in and out runs on the road bike;with that running tubes it'll be a good comparison to this weeks tubeless runs.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterdays ride, as usual..
With the weather looking slightly warmer than it actually was, I was glad I wore my skullcap and an extra layer under my thinner jacket. It was the ENE wind that did it!
With that in mind, I headed ENEish for the outward leg, hoping I would catch the tailwinds on the way home. As usual, it sort of worked, but some of the more exposed roads were still a bit breezy.

IMG_20160316_164639.jpg

The map I put in my jersey pocket was looking decidedly damp and tatty by the time I was half way round. I know most of the roads in the area, but at one or two junctions, I stopped to check the best route to ride as the A14 dual carriageway bisects some of the older roads and there is no way I'd risk life and limb by pedalling along it!

DSC_3515.JPG

I stopped at a favourite place for a cuppa even though I was only a few miles from home, but the cake (Marmalade cake today) and tea are excellent, and the people there are really friendly.

March fondue.png

Back home on just over 65 miles, my March metric century, with the bike only needing dusting off for a change.

https://www.strava.com/activities/518591914

:smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Another run this morning, but the opposite direction to Portland Basin in Ashton - it's much closer than expected and rounded a corner after 6 miles and it was there. Fair bit of renovation works going on, so made access a little tricky. Came back the same way but dropped down into Tame Valley and the TPT near Gee Cross. Total of 12 miles in and hour and a bit. Saw a lad on a BSO leaving Portland Basin, but I couldn't catch him. These 3 and a bit months haven't been good for fitness.

Duckinfield Weighted Bridge

20160317_102601[1].jpg

Portland Basin Water Wheel
20160317_103746[1].jpg

Portland Basin
20160317_103751[1].jpg

Super smooth surface this side
20160317_104436[1].jpg

Weir in Tame Valley TPT
20160317_110744[1].jpg

Top Bottom