Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renmurew

Veteran
My longest cycle yet this morning. 24.5 miles into Forfar and back. Great weekend, 20 miles yesterday and nearly 25 today and the sun came out.

9a802f42f3d485bb99172961c317ad05_zpsb708b745.jpg

Wendy

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Having been medically forced to take a break from much of my riding, still suffering from a fast road ride on friday I headed out for a first proper ride on my new FS MTB. No talent or speed involved.

*Turns out I moved the camera and buggered up the angle

View: https://youtu.be/gkA-dbXm9T4

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
We went out for a quickie this afternoon. I'm shattered and Hubster is not a lot better.
We rode around the block, so to speak and covered 4.75 miles in 22 minutes or so. Better than last time we rode the same route and it took 27 minutes. Hubster's legs were spinning along today.

It was just starting to rain when we got in so we timed it just right.

Lucky husband :smooch:

Dark46

Veteran
KCC ride today, there were 8 of us today. Alas no @Donger or @maltloaf, but @Largie003 was out for a second Sunday in a row.

It was decided that we would go east of Gloucester and eventually head south to Stroud.

Well we headed north out of the estate through Tuffley. We then headed to Brookethorpe and then turned left towards Matson .

I didn't feeleft 100% as I was wearing my waterproof jacket as I couldn't find my thermal. I was starting to overheat, and just undid my zip and bit on the outer layer and also my jersey. The only problem is that the wind gets in. Yes ok I cooled down which was the aim, but the other problem is that it also acts as a parachute and slows you down.

After passing by Matson we turned rIght towards Upton then took a left after going under the M5. Heading towards Barnwood we took the second right and headed towards Nut Hill which I've never been up. Dean said don't go too hard at the beginning.! Well I took his advice but to be honest it never really materialised but there was mud on the road and i nearly went down. At the end of the lane everyone was waiting at the A46.

We turned right on to the A46 and headed towards Stroud, the hill is long but not very steep. Nearing the top the rest of the group were waiting and we were going left to Buckholt. But the sods told me we were going to Cranham and I said I'm not lol.

Buckholt is a smooth road and can be quick if you are all ok. Well there were a few more bumps in it than I remembered. It was here that Dave really showed signs of not being on the bike for a month.

It was at the end of here that things started to go wrong!

There was a small discussion about where the route was going next. We turned left at the end to be honest I thought we would be turning right down Slad Valley.

We went right to Birdlip where there was another discussion which split the group as some of the group didn't know where we were actually going. Andy said there would be a hill and up the otherside would be steep and short. But I had no idea! But if we got split we would meet in the coffee shop in Stroud.

It wasn't long before there was a split and we got left behind and we carried on until we got to a junction and had no ideacwhich way we were supposed to go and the signs didn't help as I'd never heard of the villages listed.

It was here I noticed that my Garmin said I was doing 11.7mph but I was stood still. So I had to do a reset and save the ride sofar.

The hill was very short and steep and turned sharp right. From there itcwasca a gradual climb in the country. Going through a small village and slowly climbing again, which is where not concentrating my front wheel went into some mud at the side of the road. The next thing I knew I was led on the grass verge on the side of the road lol.

We carried on along to another junction and yet again we didn't know which way to turn. We decided left as we could see traffic on what looked like a main road.

At least this time someone recognised
where we were and hatched a plan to go home as the weather looked to be turning. We went straight across towards Cranham and the Wall! But this time it was to go down it! I was called a coward as I was going downhill with the brakes on. I'm usually the one trying to go flat out!

So down we went at up the otherside, I met Dean and Wayne at the end of the road. Well we waited for about 15 mins and there was no sign of him. Dean went back and Wayne and I waited another 10 miles and headed back to Cranham and saw the other 2 coming the other way towards us. Dave, it turns out had had a puncture.

We turned left then right down Portray Hill, and what a hill! I didn't even try pedalling and got 49 mph! Mind you its was a bit dodgy as a train a BMW came haring up the hill with his right arm out the window giving the finger.! He nearly hit Wayne. Not long after he passed a Golf went up. Then at the bottom of the hill was a woman on a horse, so I can only imagine what might have happened.

At the end of the road went turned left and headed towards Upton. At Upton we turned right under the M5 and then straight to the lights at Matson where we turned left towards miss the most of Eastern Avenue. At the roundabout it was straight again to the lights where we turned left towards Tuffley.

From there it was plain sailing back to the Kingsway. The ride was just over 27 miles and was the slowest average on the Orro, but considering the amount of hills we went up its not surprising.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My first fifty miler of the year from Selby to Epworth, the home of the Wesleyan movement. Much of the landscape from thorn to the Isle of Axeholme owes its existence to Cornelious Vermuyden who came over from Holland to drain the area - he also reclaimed Canvey Island from the waters down south. The Isle of Axeholme was originally an island until Vermuyden got to work. His name crops up on pubs and street names and there's even a Vermuyden cycle club from Goole. It was a flat ride with the downside that there was no respite from pedalling with the wind always in my face on the outward leg.

20150315_145932.jpg

Clock outside of the Mechanics Institute, Epworth.

20150315_152655.jpg
Epworth road sign.

20150315_140834.jpg
East Linc, the fourth county of the ride. North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and East Yorkshire being the other three.

20150315_154104.jpg
An abandoned chapel built in 1839 on the old Thorn Road just outside Epworth.

20150315_151947.jpg
Repurposed Methodist chapel in Epworth.
20150315_151957.jpg

Close up of the Sunday School arch.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After a few fairly utilitarian rides earlier this week, I needed to get out for a better ride. Firstly though, I had to pop down the shops to get a few bits and pieces. That was a 5 mile jaunt, loaded up with bananas, apples, curly kale and a leg of lamb for dinner this evening :hungry:

Once back at home for a coffee, I checked the forecast for the rest of the day. Not good, with rain showers in progress, with worse to follow. Looking out of the window though, it was bone dry. So much for the forecast. I set out towards the town centre to see the remains of the bus station that they blew up this morning. Had I known the time of the 'bang' I would have ridden in to see the dust cloud. As it wasn't supposed to be a public event though, they didn't say what time it was being demolished...
Spoilsports. I do love a bang on a Sunday morning!!

DSC_0642.JPG

And that's what's left of it..
After this, I txt a mate who lives on the outskirts of town to see if he was around. Yup, free tea today. I said I couldn't bring doughnuts as I didn't have my lock with me, but luckily he had Hot Cross Buns to serve up :okay:

After drinking tea and eating a couple of the aforementioned Hot Cross Buns, I headed back towards home. Still no rain to ride through, even though I had waterproofs in readiness.

On the way back through St Crispin's, a newish load of houses, I encountered to only cockwomble of the day... pulled out in front of me from a side road, having looked me directly in the eye so I knew he'd seen me (in my bright yellow jacket) then had to slow down due to another vehicle manoeuvring. I overtook him as I had the momentum to get past rather than slamming my brakes on and risk skidding and hitting him. After he'd followed me for 100 yards down the road, he overtook me and then pulled in front of me with full braking and then turned right into a shopping precinct. I was considering stopping and throwing my bike at his head, but as I was in a good mood, I carried on and just put it down to the joys of sharing the planet with some stupid people.
As it was starting to get a bit later in the day and I didn't have lights with me, I kept to the bike paths and tracks to get home ready to cook dinner with the stuff I picked up on the first ride of the day.

DSC_0645.JPG

The last bit of the route took me through Lings Woods. There's a few of these carvings dotted around the place.

Back home on 25 miles, making it 30 for the day. Not my busiest week for cycling to be honest, but due to late finishes and earlier starts at w*rk,I haven't really had the chance to get out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/268673317

:smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
First ride for a couple of days - and boy did it have an incident :blink:

It was the Red Rose Ride 200k audax, the first of my PBP qualifers.

All went well for the first 25k; decided not to stay with the front group as they were smashing out times so dropped back a bit.

Then, on the first really big descent 'BANG' - a front spoke went. I stopped quickly and am surprised I wasn't off. It had snapped in the middle :eek: with the wheel well out of true.

I loosened the brakes and, since nowhere was open at that time, decided to keep going to the time check at Whalley. Made it, but had lost about an hour having to ride steadily. Now there's a bike shop in Whalley, but they're expensive, didn't sell single wheels nor did they have spokes the correct length. But ... they did suggest another bike shop and phone them for me.

Directions duly given I set off for Clitheroe and The Green Jersey; they couldn't have been more helpful: a basic wheel was found, he dropped what he was doing and fitted it, getting me back on the road quickly. :bravo: Massive kudos to them as I was stuck otherwise. If any CC members are near there I recommend their cafe as well.

Back to Whalley for 12pm but I'm now out-of-time (closed at 11.48am). However, I'd got the brevet signed earlier :tongue: and therefore needed a big :bicycle: to get to Glasson Dock by the 3.20pm cut-off. Passing a few riders I made it for 1pm, had a quick coffee and back out.

Stopping the bike quickly seemed to have caused another issue; a plate was out on the new-ish Ultegra chain :cursing: . No pliers and I couldn't get it fixed with the chain tool so decided to just ride steady. 11th-15th gears caused the errant plate to catch so they were out as well.

However, keeping going I passed more riders, who must have thought :wacko: at me riding on the small ring and going very steady pace throughout.

Got through the information controls and back to Halifax just after 7pm, 3 hours later than planned, but 2 1/2 hours ahead of the cut-off. However, I made it round: 217km done for the day, including the detour to Clitheroe.

Roll on Spring! It did not appear today, the temp here in Rutland was about the same as Edinburgh and I bet the wind wasn't much different. No offence to those north of the border, I used to live there. Too much red wine last night so not out until 11am. The wind stayed constant throughout the ride, around 15mph but felt worse because of the grey cold day. Here is a picture of a new cycle path not far from Oakham, what a waste of money to build this on a quiet country lane that leads to a very small village, we obviously pay too much council tax
C151D093-75A1-47B6-BBB1-6B273BCAA993_zpsfm2zpa3s.jpg

Mothers Day, busier than normal out there
22640FA3-7E00-4062-A968-AAA9961903A0_zpsc3mzfwet.jpg

A fair number of beautiful stone built villages on the route today
868999A7-07B5-4D55-8E7F-3B520E05C2F0_zpsrhcaq3oc.jpg

24ED95B4-301A-4622-8732-B51F6D82918F_zpsdcnofy2l.jpg

Lots of Red Kites out today but difficult to get on a phone camera
F60024FB-C9DA-4AE6-956E-3B1E8B83A6EC_zpsrdpc2jnz.jpg

One more hill up into another chocolate box village and as a bonus the sun came out
C1470D4F-3A92-413E-B656-E3C21695476B_zpsroixtvgd.jpg

Being the thoughtful chap I am I gave her a head start :whistle:
855BE1EF-385C-4E7F-84EA-9B2AC76CF73C_zpstvnebeqt.jpg

Cafe stop at 38 miles and a total of 62 but felt like more, possibly because a 50t chainring uphill into the wind isn't the brightest idea.

D

Deleted member 1258

Earlswood the destination, 53 miles the journey, a cold grey day with a strong cold wind blowing, followed my normal route across Coventry through Tile Hill and out up Duggins Lane to Balsall Common, found I had a mountain biker sat on my wheel through Balsall Commons, he came past on the slight rise at the bottom of Holly Lane making a comment about me being under geared, I was on my fixed with a 67 inch gear and spinning well, I found I could match him but not catch him so I had great fun chasing him past the Honiley Boot and on through Hasely Knob but then punctured and had to stop. Continued past Hatton Country world then turned right to go though Lowsenford and on to cross the Hockley road above Henley in Arden and rode on to Earlswood, I picked the Craft Centre this time, last time I went onto the Plant Centre, most of the ride home was a slow grovel into the wind and followed my regular route through Kemps Green and Nuthurst then past Packwood house and Baddesley Clinton and on through Chadwick End to Balsall Common then retraced my wheel tracks into Coventry and across the city home, a hard mornings cycling but great fun, I'm going as quickly on the Flier as I did on the Pearson but seem to be working a bit harder and I'm trying to work out how much is the time of year, poor weather and my low fitness, how much is the difference between the two bikes, the flier is a bit heavier and a touch lower quality in the components, could definitely do with better wheels, and how much is just me just getting used to a different bike.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
First ride for a couple of days - and boy did it have an incident :blink:

It was the Red Rose Ride 200k audax, the first of my PBP qualifers.

All went well for the first 25k; decided not to stay with the front group as they were smashing out times so dropped back a bit.

Then, on the first really big descent 'BANG' - a front spoke went. I stopped quickly and am surprised I wasn't off. It had snapped in the middle :eek: with the wheel well out of true.

I loosened the brakes and, since nowhere was open at that time, decided to keep going to the time check at Whalley. Made it, but had lost about an hour having to ride steadily. Now there's a bike shop in Whalley, but they're expensive, didn't sell single wheels nor did they have spokes the correct length. But ... they did suggest another bike shop and phone them for me.

Directions duly given I set off for Clitheroe and The Green Jersey; they couldn't have been more helpful: a basic wheel was found, he dropped what he was doing and fitted it, getting me back on the road quickly. :bravo: Massive kudos to them as I was stuck otherwise. If any CC members are near there I recommend their cafe as well.

Back to Whalley for 12pm but I'm now out-of-time (closed at 11.48am). However, I'd got the brevet signed earlier :tongue: and therefore needed a big :bicycle: to get to Glasson Dock by the 3.20pm cut-off. Passing a few riders I made it for 1pm, had a quick coffee and back out.

Stopping the bike quickly seemed to have caused another issue; a plate was out on the new-ish Ultegra chain :cursing: . No pliers and I couldn't get it fixed with the chain tool so decided to just ride steady. 11th-15th gears caused the errant plate to catch so they were out as well.

However, keeping going I passed more riders, who must have thought :wacko: at me riding on the small ring and going very steady pace throughout.

Got through the information controls and back to Halifax just after 7pm, 3 hours later than planned, but 2 1/2 hours ahead of the cut-off. However, I made it round: 217km done for the day, including the detour to Clitheroe.
Well done!

I did the RRR in 2009 and was also beset by problems - LINK ...

thetribe

Über Member
As my wife is recovering from a slight chest infection there was no riding together again this week, she's beginning to get a little annoyed at the lack of rides now, specially as she'd just got started with her cycle commuting. Instead of a ride together we headed off to Craster with the dogs and walked along the coast to Dunstanburgh Castle and then back for lunch at Craster. Heading home via Morwick Ice Cream Parlour for their dairy ice cream, lovely stuff it is too. Weather was gorgeous so when we got home she sent me out on my bike for an hour or so, perfect. :okay:

15.9 miles at a steady pace, until I got to my final half mile where I decided to go for it on a segment I created, got the 2015 KOM to go with my overall KOM but my legs died halfway up so no idea how I managed that :laugh: Not bad for a fat lad on a bike that weighed in at 22kg last time I weighed it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/268645762

Not strictly pics from my ride but part of a great day anyway.

Craster Harbour
IMG_0011.JPG

Lottie & Miles, today's companions
IMG_0023.JPG

Dunstanburgh Castle
IMG_0091.JPG

Info Point
IMG_0100.JPG

Top Bottom