Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
T'other day (late posting again, as usual) a five of us went for a pedal around Fineshades and Wakerley woods on the MTB's.

It's a nice ride around there, with a 'family trail' that we used to get to the bridleway I knew headed towards some nice off-piste runs.
The nettles and undergrowth made some of the trails quite narrow and stingy but we all survived with only a few bits of rash and a couple of bramble scratches.
The entrance to one section was a bit boggy with a strategically placed root that sent my front wheel away at 45 degrees right, I was quick enough to get a foot down to steady myself, but as it slipped off another wet root, I did a graceful exit stage left and sat down in the mud. Luckily, no one had a camera out so it can never be proved to have happened!! :stop:

DSC_0738.JPG

With a mile or so to the coffee stop, I wasn't waiting...

DSC_0740.JPG

I took the muffins, and Ian bought the coffee and Bob drove us there & back.. Sorted!

Once we'd finished on the Fineshades side, we headed for the Wakerley Woods side trails on the other side of the A43 and played around there for an hour or so before needing to aim homewards for 17:30 ish.

Wakerley.png

A fun 18 miles, in decent weather and mainly dry conditions under the tree canopy. Muddy in places, but nowhere near as bad as it can be in the rainy season!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/672348750

:smile:

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
Just back from a lovely week away on the east coast staying near Sandsend.

We'd planned to go on a family bike ride or two as there is a nice cinder track from Whitby down to Robin Hoods Bay then onto Ravenscar so the mountain bikes came with us. Unfortunately, no room for the road bike but still I planned for a quick/short ride out on my own one morning before family activities began!

I'd checked the forecast the night before and it was going to be dry and sunny but very windy (30-35mph) but I'd be sheltered on the country lanes right? I set off from the cottage with the 20% hill being my warm up route!!

IMG_3110.JPG

A left up the hill then right onto the main road and through the village of Lythe and down Lythe Bank into Sandsend. (I wouldn't want to cycle up the Bank. Not only is it very steep but tight and twisty and busy with cars so wouldn't be enjoyable on many levels for me)

Through Sandsend I turned right and headed up towards Dunsley Hall which is a cheeky 25%er. It was at this point that the wind really hit me and I realised that the hedges of the country lane were funnelling the wind and making progress somewhat harder. To boot they had top dressed the country lanes (all the way back too!) so there were lots of loose chippings to contend with.

Onwards through Hutton Mulgrave with beautiful views across Mulgrave Woods to Mulgrave Castle and the sea. The wind was relentless but at least the views were superb.
IMG_3107.JPG
IMG_3108.JPG

Following the country lane around I finally turned north and got a small reprieve from the wind - I stopped to take another photo across the valley and I could see our holiday cottage in the distance. It seemed such a distance away!

IMG_3109.JPG

The road then had a lovely descent but as the road chippings were still plentiful and I didn't want to come a cropper, it was a steady speed! A steep and shady descent into the dip followed with a warning sign for the ford but luckily it was dry. A steep climb out and then another descent into another ford (again dry) then a climb up and across the crossroads and back up to the cottage.

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 11.05.38.png

Certainly felt more than the 9 miles but enjoyable all the same and those climbs were a little testing but rewarding.

9 miles and 1234 feet of climbing

https://www.strava.com/activities/667427685

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
Tuesday was another fine day so the bikes were on the rack and off we went to High Hawsker just south of Whitby. Here we joined the disused railway line / cinder track that would take us to Robin Hood's Bay and then onto Ravenscar.

As we approached Robin Hood's Bay, the path soon started to follow the coast line and the Cleveland Way and the scenery was lovely.
image.jpeg

A nice steady descent then into Robin Hood's Bay before we cut through the main car park and continued on the way marked path, this time coming a little more inland but with great views of the coast. We then had a steady climb to Ravenscar where the sun disappeared and the sea breeze picked up.

image.jpeg

A quick drink and snack for us all before we then retraced our route and this time stopped in Robin Hood's Bay for a late lunch and a mooch around.

Back on the bikes and with the cool breeze still present we headed back to the car but then decided carry on towards Whitby so the boys could hit the 20 mile distance (their furthest to date) Unfortunately, the (light) rain started then so the last bit of the ride was less enjoyable but we almost got to Ruswarp before heading back to the car.

A nice day out and a good distance for the boys to have completed.

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 13.02.52.png

20.1 miles and 1138 feet of climbing

https://www.strava.com/activities/670172547

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
I'm bored with this wind now ! . Last Sunday's ride windy two evening rides windy and guess what today's ride it was windy .Set off this morning with no real plan just thought a couple of hours and 50 km will do nicely . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington and up the Wreake valley now decided to follow the route of a recent CC ride and push the milage over 50 but I'd been riding the first hour hard as I was only going to do 35 miles might pay for that later. Ratcliffe on the Wreake ,Thrussington ,Hoby ,Frisby on the Wreake and over the A607 on to the rolling terrain around Gaddesby and onto Asfordby and up Saxelby Hill and out along the single track lane to Wartnaby . This track was amazingly busy so lots of stop start as you pass traffic at the passing points .Turned back towards Sileby and proper headwind for six miles on along straight road which was fun .Still pushing along at 17.5 mph .Into Sileby and back to Cossington checked the mileage 4 miles from home need 10 to make 50 so a extended route home . Rothley ,Mountsorrel back to Rothley and a now 45 miles in the legs are really complaining turned into headwind into Cropston and now it's really hard work had to do a loop in Cropston and Home 51.3 miles in the bank at 16.5 mph in did I mention Windy conditions I really must learn to pace it better really paid for the quick early pace in the last 5 miles at home now with aching legs having coffee and cake

Well I don't know if ive gone mad but it is really hard to except that in the rule book cycling should be measured in Km!

As a Englishman through and through I hate anything metric!!!

Even though I learnt metric in school and my Dad working in imperial at his work, and with him being my hero I always do everything in imperial.

But this week I've converted my strava account to metric! How long it will last I have no idea. I just can't visualise in Km.

Ok I'm a little late posting this but Wednesdays ride with Eastgate was better than I expected as it was in the Forest of Dean and a chance of rain.

@Frazzle came roind a d we saet off and waited at KFC for the possibility of 2 others joining us. Well it turned out it was a no show.

At the pub we signed in and split into our groups, I was in inter chilled. Inter length at chilked pace.

We had a group of eight, we left on time so everything was ok at the start.

We headed out on thr A48 then the A40 towards Ross on Wye. The traffic was ok but not too busy.

The great thing with this group as always is they always look out for everyone and slow if someone is flagging. As with KCC on a Sunday @Frazzle is always going back and forth from the back to the front making sure everyone is ok.

At Huntley we hung a left to head for Mitcheldean. The trip to Mitcheldean is up and down and this time I felt good at the front vut I knew it wouldnt last as @Frazzle and Wayne would soon be flying by uphill. I got to Mitcheldean with no problems except for having to brake at the long downhill section for traffic, so my highest speed would be down on @Frazzle, which is not good.

From here it was to Flaxley Abbey and last time I ws hede I lost my rear light about 1/2 way down the hill. Then it was back to Gloucester on the A48 , it should have been easy but a artic nearly took out me , AJ and Rachel. I saw Rachel jump I thought shewas going to come off, luckily she didn't.

All the way back I stay with AJ and Rachel as AJ had no rear light.

We all in all it was 55.8 km and I really enjoyed it. What the hell is that in Miles?
Well I, though in most respects, am quite progressive nonethelss stick to miles and feet climbed, I am OK on deg C for temperatures. I am miffed that although my Garmin is set to Imperial, it still shows metres climbed.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Well I, though in most respects, am quite progressive nonethelss stick to miles and feet climbed, I am OK on deg C for temperatures. I am miffed that although my Garmin is set to Imperial, it still shows metres climbed.
If you change it to 'Statute' you will get elevation in feet. Believe it may change your temperature to F though...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Only a week to go until the Yorkshire Tour Sportive, so up early and out for a good ride to get my legs used to the idea of doing 81 miles in 7 days...

Slight downer on seeing the weather as I put my nose out of the door, the forecast wall to wall Scorchio! was grey, overcast and windy. Mind you, with the eternally unreliable Peter Gibbs doing the forecast on BBC Breakfast today, what should I have expected..?

By the end of our street I'd decided to tackle the headwind on the way out, rather than fight against it on the way back, so that meant heading west - Otley it was then.

Coal Road, then the twisty route to Shadwell past the Wellington pub and on to Wigton Lane, across the A61 and up Alwoodley Lane, pretty much all of it into the wind. King Lane to Golden Acre Park and up the hill, before taking a left and dropping onto the A660 through Bramhope and on to the lights at Pool Bank, before the long descent down the Chevin. Where it started raining...something else not mentioned by Mr Gibbs... :rolleyes:
Into Otley and through the road works, before locking the bike to the railings and popping in here for supplies for later:
IMG_20160813_090939311_HDR.jpg

Pork pies secured and bike unchained, it was back on and down over the river, getting passed by a very serious mini-peleton, then another by rider who said hello...
Over the bridge and a right for the long climb up to Farnley, where I was passed by a couple of chatty riders heading up into Washburndale, who'd also been misled by the forecast.
I took the turning for Lindley and the rapid descent down to the bridge which was still wet from the showers and the back wheel got a wee bit squirmy under braking, which was interesting :eek:. Climbed back up the other side and eventually popped out onto the B6161, for another rapid descent into Leathley, then along the valley bottom, with the wind now at my back for the straight run to the A658. Straight over into Castley Lane, where I stopped for some sustenance and a photo (I won't do the Castley joke again this time ;)):
IMG_20160813_093943808_2.jpg

Just as I was eating my Hi5 bar, I was passed by an all female group of cyclists, so I just waved in response to their hellos :rolleyes:
Back on and along the lane to Castley, then the climb out of the village and eventually up to Weeton, passing the ladies who'd stopped at the top of the hill, saying hello properly this time. From there it's mainly downhill to Dunkeswick, which was completed today at a good wind assisted lick, then a short spurt along the A61 and right for Kearby and the cliff, which I once again failed to climb on the bike.:sad:
I did take a pic at the top though, with Wharfedale and Almscliffe Crag behind :
IMG_20160813_102306605.jpg

At least the sun was out now, although the wind wasn't giving up at least it was largely behind me for the run along the tops to Sicklinghall, the descent through the village and the run on to Wetherby.
Through Wetherby over the bridge and for the climb up to Wattlesyke Roundabout I hopped onto the cycle path, which was a good idea as I now had a pig of a crosswind to content with. 13mph windspeed? I don't think so, it felt like double that at times!
Back onto the road at the top and round the roundabout onto West Woods Road and the run almost to Bramham, turning right to head for Thorner the long way round via Milner Lane, albeit largely into the wind now.
Left along the ridge, grateful for the shelter of the hedgerows and down the hill and then the climb into Thorner.
Right at the Mexborough Arms onto Carr Lane and the climb, descent and climb to the A58 for a quick scoot along to Coal Road, then local roads to home, with a final once around the block to push the mileage on.

44.14 miles (71.03km) in 3h 16m at an average of 13.5mph with 2,788ft climbed. Just over half the distance I'll need for next week, but with around 90% of the climbing I'll take that - and let's be honest it's not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning is it? :okay:

Lots of cyclists out again, almost all of them friendly and some positively chatty and just a handful of drivers with development potential, so all good. Plus it's another metric half in the bag ^_^

13082016.JPG

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another ride today with the Fragrant MrsP, this time on the road bikes to Abingdon via Harwell Village and Steventon, to meet up with a friend in the market square for coffee and cake. On the way I met a dad and his lad riding the contraption below, he was wielding a hammer and effecting some repairs to it when I saw them, apparently they were on a camping weekend. They walk among us.

After a little shopping for tonight's tea, same trip back home. 19.1 sunny but windy miles, the sort of wind that's always in your face no matter which way you turn, still nice to be out riding for a change.

Road surface in Steventon is shocking.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Nice ride through Wokingham and Bracknell (if that's not a contradiction in terms:rolleyes:), on my way to Ascot to see these guys:

Red Bull Ascot 25%.jpg

Strictly speaking, the Red Bull Air Race series aren't races, but rather time trials, but no less exciting for that.

Main roads all the way, as I didn't want to miss any of the action, but I was struck by how considerate drivers were today, even the chap who almost sideswiped me on a roundabout (entirely my fault as I'd misjudged my entry).

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Nice ride through Wokingham and Bracknell (if that's not a contradiction in terms:rolleyes:), on my way to Ascot to see these guys:

View attachment 139364

Strictly speaking, the Red Bull Air Race series aren't races, but rather time trials, but no less exciting for that.

Main roads all the way, as I didn't want to miss any of the action, but I was struck by how considerate drivers were today, even the chap who almost sideswiped me on a roundabout (entirely my fault as I'd misjudged my entry).

Was it good? I'm going to race day tomorrow:hyper:

A Skyride Social today

Another 100 Km's

https://www.strava.com/activities/674605144/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1471103363

image.jpeg

The usual good bunch of guys
image.jpeg

Another regular ( in the Orange ) and one 'difficult' punter, in the same picture.

image.jpeg

After the first proper lumpy bit. I'm sorry did you say it was "too slow" and " not challenging"? okay then.
image.jpeg

Ohh look, there's someone missing (not orange shirt, or the other guy, they are just out of shot) after the 1 in 5 at 13 mph, is that "challenging / quick enough" for you?

image.jpeg

Gravity defying San Miguel.

image.jpeg

The weather turned a bit gash at the end.

I got stung by a wasp, that was the first time in over 10 years:cry:. I squashed the little fecker with my wheel:wahhey:.

All in all a nice day, one that couldn't be pleased, then took to a Facebook group he wrongly thought I didn't have access to
( I'm admin on it, ooooh dear it never rains it pours eh) to make comments.

Ah well, you can't please all the people all of the time. The regulars (and a couple of new guys, were great)
:thumbsup:

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Local gala today so roads unusually busy so ventured further afield.
Mr M away to Pittodrie to see Aberdeen/Hearts. (zzzz).
Took the Pashley on a "roadie route" managed fine :smile:
Met quite a few roadies, all friendly :hello: and 2 foreign touring ladies, passed twice, hello again!
Aberdeen bypass taking shape, saw some unusual cows, black with white stripe round middle, calves were brown :wub:
Met my horse and pony pals, nice to see them again, pooped after 2 hours but in the best possible way :okay:

Mrs M

Guru
View attachment 139384 View attachment 139382 View attachment 139381 View attachment 139380 Local gala today so roads unusually busy so ventured further afield.
Mr M away to Pittodrie to see Aberdeen/Hearts. (zzzz).
Took the Pashley on a "roadie route" managed fine :smile:
Met quite a few roadies, all friendly :hello: and 2 foreign touring ladies, passed twice, hello again!
Aberdeen bypass taking shape, saw some unusual cows, black with white stripe round middle, calves were brown :wub:
Met my horse and pony pals, nice to see them again, pooped after 2 hours but in the best possible way :okay:
Belted Galloway cattle according to Mr Google :smile:

Top Bottom