Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galaxy

Veteran
image.jpeg

I did my first ever Commute into work 12 hr night shift. Then see what's a head of me in the morning.
Never knew this pond was in the middle of this roundabout.

Last edited:

BSRU

A Human Being
Managed to get in a 102km ride on Friday with 1450m of going up:sweat:.
Wasn't planning on a 100+km but my better half informed me visitors were due for coffee while I was out so added an extra hour to my ride:okay:(and took an extra water bottle:heat:).

Glad I slapped on the sun cream because it was hot:sun:, been very good this year remembering the cream:smile:.
There was a breeze, which was welcome, but it's a bit scary whizzing down a 40mph decent with a side wind trying to change my road position:eek:.
Basically riding up and down the Ridgeway south of Swindon.

An "untaxed" vehicle on the road:tongue:.
C0002(1).jpg

A cloudless sky for a change.
C0001(5).jpg

The final little climb, thankfully in the shade:sweat:.
C0001(1a).jpg

Had "some" much needed home made cake on my return(it was made for our visitors but there was plenty left for me^_^).

iandg

Legendary Member
Wasn't sure how far I wanted to go. 5km out of town the rain jacket went on and my mind was made up to do the 'short' loop. Cloud was low, not much wind and the midges were out - so not a day to stop for pics. Starting just after 8 roads were very quiet and I sawonly 2 other cyclists, 2 walkers and 4 cars in the first 25km (only about 20 cars during the whole ride) - peaceful :smile:

A couple of quick snaps from the phone camera

13895578_10154432726772486_6763615328446677700_n.jpg

13938382_10154432726767486_2231316458211873531_n.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/675313645

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Two and a bit years in, and this was my 70th ride with Kingsway CC, today. And, following a delivery of some new kit, it all started with a photo shoot outside the Barn Owl pub on the Kingsway estate for a new picture for the club's twitface site. As usual, I am the only one looking stern. (Can't imagine why I had my arms folded or looked fed up ... I was actually experiencing inner zen and contentment at the time).
200 Club Photo.jpg

Nice to see Shaun and young Andrew turn up for the first time in months. It was a very pleasant, flattish 40 miler for me today - at times dropping back to help out with backmarkers, and at times enjoying the thrill of little bursts of speed. Seven of us enjoyed a nice long social break at the garden centre at Staunton, which we shared with a group of mechanical dopers (a.k.a. motorcyclists). Back to Gloucester from near Tewkesbury via the short but vicious little climb up the Woolridge near Hartpury. An enjoyable way to bring up my 2,000 miles for the year. Time now to work on my climbing, to get ready for the Alps.
Cheers, Donger.

AnneW

Über Member
After not riding last weekend (we were away) it was good to finally increase my mileage to over 20 miles this weekend. It was a functional ride rather than a pretty one - Manchester to Poynton along the A6 so no point taking photos - but thoroughly enjoyed it. 24.5 miles in 2hrs 3 minutes. But fast by most peoples standard, but great for me :smile:

Going for between 25 and 30 miles next.

D

Deleted member 1258

Earlswood the destination, 54 miles the journey, another dull grey day for a bike ride, but is wasn't as cold as its been lately and the wind had eased a bit. on the way out on the climb past the old church at Hatton I was caught by one of the Cov Rd club groups and held onto their coat tails for about half a mile whilst chatting to one of the lads, once we had crossed the Hockley road they disappeared into the distance, I made the cafe just before they did. on the way back, in Balsall Common, I got caught by the easy riders and rode into Coventry with them. Another enjoyable morning out on the bike but it would be nice if we had some sunshine to ride in, but at least the wind had eased and I didn't spend the morning slogging.

http://maplorer.com/permalink.php?file=2016-08-14_15_29_15_b_Earlswood-Sunday-Ride.gpx

rb58

Enigma
Things I saw on today's bike ride:

A penny farthing
A unicycle
The smallest chain rings ever
The world's smallest dog
Twenty identical horses
A ferry
A cable car
And the best cycling jersey in the world.

Got to love those Sunday London Rides.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
A Sunday London Ride for me today with some fine fellow Cycle chatters. Got my lazy ass out of bed early and got the first train up to Paddington to conquer one of my nemisis from my badly overweight and heavy smoker days. Came out of Paddington and brave the busses and taxis on the short trip up the Marylebone Road passed madam tussards and turned into Regents Park up the North side and then out towards Camden then through Kentish Town towards Highgate then a right into the world of pain Swains Lane a nasty little hill that I walked up most of back in 2013 :blush: not this time though managed it with a big grin on my chops ^_^ enjoyed it so much I did a left at the top down the hill to the roundabout and did it again. After I'd slotted my lungs back in place I headed back through to Regents Park and did a couple of laps round that lots of cyclists which was good to see. Then back towards Paddington and into Hyde Park still early so had planned on doing a couple of laps but roadworks put paid to that. Then headed for the meet at Wellington Arch.
image_zps9hweinhx.jpe

Token pic of the gee gee's and a little snippet of @rb58 's blinding (literally) jersey. Toilet visited in the park 20p later Thieves ! We headed out towards the embankment and my first trip down the cycle super highway rather enjoyed it tbh although I can see rush hour being quite interesting on it. Ended up on the Isle Of Dogs and visiting the Island garden cafe where I had my first Vegetable Patti very nice indeed. The size of the meals are incredible from there we split up and went through Victoria Park and over to the Olympic Park. The tax payers stadium (West Haaaaaaaam) in the background
image_zps5impr2io.jpe

The tattooed messiah @ianrauk checking if there are any season tickets left :biggrin: Then all the way through the park which I have to say is very impressive indeed tons of family stuff going on very busy which was good to see. Ended up over by The Velodrome...
image_zpsih4yqani.jpe

Shameless selfie (calm down ladies). Had a peak inside certainly brings back memories of 4 years ago on the tv watching Team GB rule the world. After a pricey but very enjoyable 99 with a flake we headed back through to Victoria Park and back into that there London Town where I was shown the Old London Bridge arch by one of today's excellent tour guides. Back down to the embankment and we split up at Westminster Bridge where I went past Buckingham Palace and back through Hyde Park to Paddington and luckily got in 3 minutes before the train back to home.

48.3 miles with 1342 ft of climbing a moving time of 4.15 mins and a 11.4 mph avg. Not a massive distance but Swains is now ticked off my cycling bucket list some brilliant views and some excellent company.

https://www.strava.com/activities/675661196/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1471190469

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out the door just after 8 for a 'short' ride* as I needed to be back for something mid-morning.

Had a plan to add a twist to the same old circuits, so headed out up Coal Road and then Red Hall Lane out to the A58 for a quick wiggle down to the Wellington pub and onto Whin Moor Lane for the scenic route to Shadwell. Once I reached Main Street, I turned left, down the hill :smile: and right through the village to cross Bay Horse Lane and the short climb back up to the A58 and across on Carr Lane for the lovely lumpy run to Thorner.
Left at the Mexborough Arms and round past the church, then climbed up Church Hill and onto Bramham Road, passing Bramham Park where preparations for the Leeds Festival are well underway.
Through the dip at Wothersome, climbing up onto Thorner Road for the run down to West Woods Rd and on to Wattlesyke Roundabout. I had thought about cutting down to Collingham from here, but i was doing OK for time and enjoying the ride, so carried straight on down the hill towards Wetherby :hyper:
At the roundabout it was left onto the A58 towards Collingham. I don't often ride this stretch of road and I was reminded why again today - poor road surface and too many half-wit drivers (1st place goes to the Muppet in the black Nissan 370Z). I can only presume that the road is going to be 'surface dressed' soon, as there is the biggest pile of stone chippings that I've ever seen in the layby. :eek:
Anyhow, fortunately I was soon at the turning onto Jewitt Lane and the long climb back up to Compton Lane and the run along the ridge to East Rigton, where I took these photos:
IMG_20160814_090710479_HDRPAN.jpg
IMG_20160814_090741836_HDR.jpg

This is normally a very quiet lane but today I passed a lady on an e-bike, a jogger and a very distinguished looking chap on a big black horse (I've seen him around here a few times and call him 'The Major' in my own head - if you ride these lanes regularly I'm sure you'll have crossed his path :smile: ) and carried on into East Rigton, then turned left at the Green onto Mill Lane, then Holme Farm Lane and onto Milner Lane for the enjoyable run along that ridge, before the descent back into Thorner.
Through the village and the inevitable climb up Van Zyl Hill and onto Skeltons Lane, then Coal Road and local roads down to home.

22.39 miles (36.03km) in 1h 35m at an average of 14.1mph with 1,164ft climbed. All good and I'm loving the fact that I now think a 22 mile / 95 minutes cycle is a 'short' ride :laugh:
Pleased at keeping my average speed over 14 mph too as I'd deliberately added quite a bit more climbing to the route.

Lots of cyclists out, nearly all of them friendly and apart from one short stretch of road all the drivers were playing the game today.

14082016.JPG

Old jon

Guru
A few rideless days just gone, back to normal ( ? ) now. Yup, normal. I have just repeated my previous ride, 09/08/16, with a little detour through Saxton added. I must be on autopilot when I point the bike down Dewsbury Road. The joys of old age, I do not think.

The roads through Holbeck and Hunslet were quiet this morning, though I saw maybe six or eight cyclists travelling in the opposite direction. There were even a few as I rode through John O’ Gaunts towards the turnoff for Woodlesford, and just before crossing the canal there were three in club jerseys, Castleford I think, who seemed a little uncertain about where they were. They passed me half a mile later in Swillington, so someone must have got the map out . . .

Light breeze today, so Garforth Cliff was its usual lung busting effort, but after that the road is pretty fair all the way to Sherburn in Elmet, note the full Sunday title. A large ( 10 to 14 ) group of cyclists on the B1222 on my way into Sherburn was a bit of a surprise to me, travelling away from Sherburn they were and I cannot think where they might have been headed for, maybe Nostell Priory or the Yorkshire Sculpture Park? Anyway, on I pedalled, turn left at the lights and on to Barkston Ash, another left there to ride through Saxton followed by yet another left to emerge onto the road towards Lotherton above Coldhill Farm. Turn right for Lotherton Gates.

Another right turn and I found my groove in the tarmac that leads me all the way home through Aberford, Barwick in Elmet ( it is Sunday, see above ), Scholes and the rest of the pretty good 35.8 miles I covered today.

All these maps begin to look similar, this one is pretty close to identical to the one produced for my previous ride . . .

14082016.jpg

HDW Club RIde again today
Went a roundabout way to Finchampstead via Shurlock Row and Dinton Pastures, and back via Binfield.
Out stop was at the cafe at California Country Park, which was very good

Numbers a bit low today, but a good ride at a fair pace. Not much sun this morning (though it is nice out now)

54.4 miles at 16.8 mph, and 1640 feet climbed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/675607398

Hopefully recovered now from last week's exertions !

Top Bottom