Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another Monday morning=boo,but at least a nice but chilly start to the week.

20p road commute but kept it steady until Histon where I upped the pace a bit;still quiet on the roads so will make the most of it this week with the (mostly)good weather too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/676538541

SteveF

Bit of a Mini Tour with my BiL this weekend, Thetford to Hunstanton on Saturday https://www.strava.com/activities/676546862 and Hunstanton to Sherringham on Sunday https://www.strava.com/activities/676546885

A fair bit of day one was spent on the Peddars way, which was ok to begin with but became quite testing toward the end of the ride with the surface turning into more bridal path than cycle path..

The majority of day one
IMG_8509.JPG

A Ford near Castle Acre
5F5974AF-87BE-4EB7-9F18-E4BEF9732201.jpg

Evening in Hunstanton
30C5DF03-A276-494D-ABEF-A52E61D40B4C.jpg

Day two was to Sherringham and mainly on quiet back lanes

I know opinion is divided but I quite like the wind turbines (not sure I'd want on in my back garden though)

IMG_8513.JPG

A short nourishment stop at Binham
5922DB13-DF76-4D57-BD1D-0C6517415D03.jpg

There are a few Instagram photos on the Strava links (a function I quite like).....

All in all really enjoyable, two days in lovely weather, will definitely be doing it again

Last edited:

stearman65

Bit of a Mini Tour with my BiL this weekend, Thetford to Hunstanton on Saturday https://www.strava.com/activities/676546862 and Hunstanton to Sherringham on Sunday https://www.strava.com/activities/676546885

A fair bit of day one was spend on the Peddars way, which was ok to begin with but became quite testing toward the end of the ride with the surface turning into more bridal path than cycle path..

The majority of day one
View attachment 139698

A Ford near Castle Acre
View attachment 139696

Evening in Hunstanton
View attachment 139697

Day two was to Sherringham and mainly on quiet back lanes

I know opinion is divided but I quite like the wind turbines (not sure I'd want on in my back garden though)

View attachment 139699

A short nourishment stop at Binham
View attachment 139700

There are a few Instagram photos on the Strava links (a function I quite like).....

All in all really enjoyable, two days in lovely weather, will definitely be doing it again
Nice pictures

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Busy day yesterday, so yesterdays rides, today.
Had tickets to go to the Red Bull Air Race at Ascot yesterday, but with the doors not opening until 10, and with it only being 10 minutes from home, I nipped out for a quick spin. 17.2 miles out to Windsor and back again, getting home just in time to shower before getting out the door.
Really enjoyable day at the races, and whilst we watched a fair bit of the racing, the side acts from Dougie Lampkin and the BMX guys were a much greater attraction, certainly for my lad. Some of the tricks they were doing were amazing, and certainly top my occasional bunny hop over a pothole!
Look Mum, no hands!
IMG_0379.JPG

Or feet!!
IMG_0384.JPG

And the high jump, insane
IMG_0388.JPG

Highlight of the day has to go to the one and only Danny MacAskill, with his 'Drop & Roll' team. My lad was sooo excited. Got to meet the man, really down to earth chap, great pic of my lad with him (which I won't put on here, not a fan of putting my kids all over the net), and to top it off Danny sought him out of the crowd whilst we watched the 2nd performance and gave him one of the prizes, a very nice Lezyne repair kit (which I'm not allowed anywhere near!!). Fantastic.

Home after the final 4, and I popped out after dinner. Aiming for the magic 777 miles this month, and I was 22 miles behind, so figured I'd try to make a bit up. A very nice, warm 25.4 mile ride out to Walton & back, got passed by the same guy twice, but I go at my own pace so ho hum.
Another 17 miles this morning, so by the time I get to work tonight I should be back on track with 375 miles completed so far this month.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Not a God day today. My ap stopped 2 miles from home and never restarted, I got cramp in My foot, My saddle kept moving downwards and I couldn't get it right until I was only 4 miles or so,from home, and my saddle keeps moving up and down so will have to get/force Mr WD to have a look at it for me.

Anther day down the B4404 for me today. Through the only sort of village called llanerwin. And then I carried on to Mach. Came back the same way as well. Not sure of my mileage, but at a rough guess I'd say about 15 miles or so.
20160815_125841.jpg
20160815_122513.jpg
20160815_121422.jpg

Another day of traffic jams again

Old jon

Guru
Auto pilot most definitely switched off this morning, I may have even stirred the grey cell into some activity . . .

The almost compulsory Holbeck meander to start the long haul across ( and up from ) the city to the clock at Oakwood. Ten o’ clock on a Monday morning Leeds’ traffic is pretty light, except for the bit by the bus station but even that does not take too long. From Oakwood, ride past where the outdoor baths used to was and carry on to the bottom of Boot Hill, which took quite a bit of climbing this morning. Cross the Ring Road using that evil little uphill roundabout, and still climbing, ride along to the right turn onto Red Hall Lane. Do the other two lanes to ride through Thorner, and up ( unpleasant word ) Church Hill along the road to Bramham. Just shy of the A 1M flyover, turn left onto West Woods Road, and left again at Wetherby roundabout.

On to Collingham, choosing my least favourite road, the A 659 out of the village, it is quite steep travelling in this direction, and along to the junction for East Keswick.

Just after the end of the video the road beat me, I had to stop and wheeze and gasp and, well you get the idea, till my lungs recovered. Once pedalling again, through Wike and along Wike Ridge to Slaid Hill. Turn left for Shadwell and turn right onto Gatelands Lane which conveniently returns to the A 58, and for me to finish 32.7 miles back home with the morning’s route in reverse. I really enjoyed that.

An Etch a Sketch produced by Garmin and bicycle,

15082016.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My ride from a day or so ago. Late as usual..

I just fancied a tootle around the town to check a few things out that I'd not had the chance to do for a while. I took the old SS pub bike as I also had to do a bit of shopping in the town centre on my way past.

IMG_20160813_160018.jpg

An 'official' bit of graffiti on a wall in Kingsthorpe, sanctioned by the council & plod.

After diving down some almost abandoned bike paths towards town, I did a circuit of the Racecourse then down to Victoria Park and under the railway lines to the canalside.

IMG_20160813_160052.jpg

It was a bit more peaceful here, with less official graffiti! After a mile or so, I was into Morrisons car park for my shopping, then home along the Washlands cyclepath.

Untitled.png

20 miles that seems sooo much further on the old pub bike!
Lovely little ride though :okay:

https://www.strava.com/activities/674486220

:smile:

gavgav

Guru
My 50th ride of 2016. A lovely warm, calm and sunny evening, we've had so few of them this summer.

Up the cycle paths to Heathgates and then along the old canal path to Uffington. Out on the road to Upton Magna and then the climb up East Haughmond, before one of my favourite mile stretches of pure straight downhill to Somerwood and Rodington Heath.

Looped back round to Upton Magna and then along the bumpy Pelham Rd to Berwick Wharf, before the straight to Atcham. Over Atcham Bridge and then a bit more climbing to Betton Abbots and home.

Really enjoyable ride of 20.2 miles.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It's holiday time again, about time too!
After a convoluted journey from Wembury to Ilfracombe we set out from the harbour after looking at some Damien Hirst bollocks
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The route out of town was up.... And up and poorly signed. Why put the sign on ALL the right bits?
After the steep town roads we were in for a trudge, must have been 4% for a good 40 minutes, in the shade
image.jpeg

Once on the top it was a ride on the North Devon roller coaster, down and up, up and down until we reached the outskirts of Barnstaple
image.jpeg

Along the river Taw until we reached 'tea on the Taw' a lovely modern, but genteel tea room.
Across the river and up the other side, passing families and old fellas on 3 wheeler pashleys.

image.jpeg

After a while we stopped for a drink.
image.jpeg

We got talking to a lovely couple, and a family with one lad of about 8yo and 3 beautiful girls under 6. The 2 younger girls were in carrier seats, but they were a noisy handful!
After Petrockstowe the track went up again, and up. The Devon c2c follows old train track, so it was all lovely incline, not too steep, but still up.
The route went through some lovely woodland before spitting us out onto the road, a few miles left til Hatherleigh, Dartmoor looming in the distance
image.jpeg

Before coming in to the village we were hit by a couple of Devon specials, steep downs followed by immediate ups.... BANG! 14th to first gear in an instant!
We are staying in thr Tally Ho Inn. They brew their own beer, and the food is bloody lovely!
image.jpeg

I'm not putting this trip into touring, I'm staying faithful to Your Ride Today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/677140187

Further instalments to follow....

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
It's holiday time again, about time too!
After a convoluted journey from Wembury to Ilfracombe we set out from the harbour after looking at some Damien Hirst bollocks
View attachment 139771
View attachment 139770
The route out of town was up.... And up and poorly signed. Why put the sign on ALL the right bits?
After the steep town roads we were in for a trudge, must have been 4% for a good 40 minutes, in the shade
View attachment 139773
Once on the top it was a ride on the North Devon roller coaster, down and up, up and down until we reached the outskirts of Barnstaple
View attachment 139774
Along the river Taw until we reached 'tea on the Taw' a lovely modern, but genteel tea room.
Across the river and up the other side, passing families and old fellas on 3 wheeler pashleys.

View attachment 139775

After a while we stopped for a drink.
View attachment 139776
We got talking to a lovely couple, and a family with one lad of about 8yo and 3 beautiful girls under 6. The 2 younger girls were in carrier seats, but they were a noisy handful!
After Petrockstowe the track went up again, and up. The Devon c2c follows old train track, so it was all lovely incline, not too steep, but still up.
The route went through some lovely woodland before spitting us out onto the road, a few miles left til Hatherleigh, Dartmoor looming in the distance
View attachment 139777
Before coming in to the village we were hit by a couple of Devon specials, steep downs followed by immediate ups.... BANG! 14th to first gear in an instant!
We are staying in thr Tally Ho Inn. They brew their own beer, and the food is bloody lovely!
View attachment 139782

I'm not putting this trip into touring, I'm staying faithful to Your Ride Today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/677140187

Further instalments to follow....
Im hoping to get my Mrs on a Tandem.

D

Deleted member 1258

59 miles the journey, barby the destination. I was thinking of a long ride today but when I got up this morning my cycling mojo was missing, I eventually headed out through Baginton but I hadn't made my mind up as to where I was going, in the end I decided on Barby so I turned through Wappenbury, crossed the Fosse and the Banbury Rd then through Birdingbury, Hill and across Grandborough Fields to cross the A45 just Dunchurch side of Willoughby and climb up to the Water Tower then turn right to the Garden Centre. I decided to do a route home I usually do on my way out but do it in reverse so I turned left out of the garden centre and right to Kilsby and right onto the A5 then left through Crick and onto Yelvertoft, left to Clay Cotton and past Stanford Hall, through swinford and Sharwell, a little bit of the A426 then turned through Church Over and picked up my usual route home. Another bright and breezy day and another slow hard ride, a bit fresh on the way out but warming up nicely on the way back.

http://maplorer.com/permalink.php?file=2016-08-16_15_25_44_b_mytracks_20160816_084634.gpx

20160816_121129.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
This morning we had a breakfast that would have sank the Ark Royal. We left the pub, rolling gently down the hill before turning left, the up hill starting.
'You not be wanting to roide up there' advised an old boy, he was right and all!
Eventually we were up on high ground, the folds in the landscape evident. There were some undulations!
We passed a family coming the other way, Jo said ' I bet they're saying I don't fancy the hill they've got to go up...' No sooner were the words out of her mouth and we were confronted by a monster. Unusually for Devon you could see 300m up the road, dead straight. It backed off after the straight, but remained up for a couple of miles.
In Okehampton we rejoined the railway again, looking down on the castle
image.jpeg

Under the A30 and over Meldon viaduct, a tad breezy!
Tors were rearing up to our left. Progress was swift in parts, the odd gate or two slowing us.
image.jpeg

We ended up in Lydford, and we stopped at the pub next to the castle for a lemonade. 2 lads pulled in behind us cycling from Dingwall to Lands End.
image.jpeg

After Lydford came a bonkers bit of the NCN27. We were directed through a car park, out into a stony, rutted field and through a swamp. Totally unrideable.
Here is a bit minus swamp
image.jpeg

All good for a day out on an MTB...

After a while we were able to ride, but carefully. We were in sight of Brentor now

image.jpeg

Then we went to Scotland......
image.jpeg

The road to Mary Tavy was closed to (most) vehicular traffic. We had another monster climb to contend with. At the top the view and the locals looked great
image.jpeg

In Mary Tavy the NCN went through another totally unusable section, the road must have been pretty rough to put us down a 2' wide rough arsed Jigger.
The only saving grace was at the bottom
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After the cooling dip came the 10 minute bike push up the other side.
To reach the campsite we had to go up a named hill. It began with a B.
I can't remember, but we'll call it Bastard Hill.
It was tough, beyond tough. I will admit to grunting!
We were within 100 yards of the top, we'd do it, but only just..... Then a car came. It waited at the top, I pedalled. Then she drove towards us.
I'm not sure if you've ever piloted a loaded tandem on a 20% hill, but the steering is a bit sketchy and you wibble and wobble from side to side.
There was nothing I could do other than instantly throw the towel in, but I had no time to warn Jo. I unclipped, she ended up on the floor. She was fine as we were doing less than 2mph, the bike was protected by the panniers. It was only a young girl driving, but she got both barrels. She knew she was in the wrong. Oh well, we live to see another day!
image.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/678094604

A tough, short ride!

Top Bottom