Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My ride today was yesterday, only my second real ride of the year unfortunately but hopefully I'll get more in.

I have a Specialized Tricross running on Gatorskin 28s which ended up being a bit tricky. I set my Garmin to give me a random route and it came up with a 27 miler without too much climbing. I'm not originally from Stirling so this is a good way of getting away from the obvious routes. On the whole it kept me off the main roads and on back roads and farmtracks - who knew there were so many horses around here and why don't horse owners have to pick up after the horses? Anyway, my route started to take in forest trails and muddy tracks which I could just about cope with but the loose stone path that supposedly made up a cycle track defeated me so I had to walk for half a mile. At one point I found myself bombing along the Forth Clyde canal - some beautiful gardens back onto the towpath and it was good to slow down for a look. Went flying past this:

IMAG1172.jpg

About 20 miles in my legs were gone so I over-rode the Garmin and just headed for home. Surprisingly when I finally got in after nearly 3 hrs (stopping for chips to take back) I found I had done 27.66 miles. Quite chuffed with that.

Oh and I overtook one bike on the whole run. A young female athlete on a fetching pink affair with stabilisers.

ETA - https://www.strava.com/activities/677261287

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just a quick nine miler here after work around my local patch this afternoon.

image.jpeg

This is White Fen (above). A lovely, 9 foot wide cycle path. Sadly it's only about a third of a mile long, but at least it's there and the f@£?%*#g cars can't get anywhere near it!

I often wish it would continue as far as Kings Lynn and north Norfolk ( one of my regular destinations) but I guess I'll be long gone before anything as sensible as that ever happens.

image.jpeg

The bridge at Swaffham Bulbeck Lode.

image.jpeg

Finally a brew at the bird hide on Tubney Fen near Reach. The pond is behind the hide, though there's not much to see there at this time of year. A few linnets, and on the water a little grebe and plenty of coots was all that was on offer. Still, a pleasant hour or so out on the fen here today.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
26 miles last night out to Holcot ,Scaldwell .Old , Loddington ,Cransley ,Broughton ,Orlingbury ,Little Harrowden and back home .

All done on the Ian May , loads of bikes out but only 1 person said hello back it really gets mt goat !!

I had company for one section for about 5 miles some chap on a green dale he just sat on my back wheel breathing heavy .

Got some nice sunset pictures as well .

WP_20160816_20_45_11_Smart.jpg
WP_20160816_20_34_42_Smart.jpg

Last edited:
Bash in today on the twenty pence through Histon and Impington;gave it a bit of welly after the last two days steady rides,legs felt good although they ache a bit now.

Got cut up along Histon rd and then an old Merc nearly pulled out in front of me at the four lamps roundabout but otherwise a good ride;

Main run;

https://www.strava.com/activities/678926836

And the needed warm down(via Waitrose) to work;

https://www.strava.com/activities/678926814

Old jon

Guru
I still love reading this thread as much as ever, whether someone has been out for a bit of a pootle or put in an epic distance and everything in between.
Always makes me smile. :smile:

Thank you @Katherine

I always reckon I have done well if I cross three rivers on one ride. Thirty and three quarters miles for the day seems like the rivers were pretty close together though, but it did not feel that way.

So, from the beginning, pedal out on to Dewsbury Road, after a bit of modern road frippery bear left onto Jack Lane and wow! I’m in Holbeck. But, this is the quick way onto the towpath for me and the towpath takes me to Viaduct Road, which road takes me across the River Aire and then along that rather long route out to Lawnswood and across the Ring Road. Straight on, the A 660 to Bramhope and turn right onto Creskeld Lane, which was busy with other cyclists today, mostly going up the hill. One large group near the top, three or four solo, all ascending, and one lad who had stopped, bike pointing downhill sort of, who said he was OK when I asked.

At the end of Creskeld Lane is the A 659, and I turned left for Pool, where I turned right and crossed the River Wharfe and a little north of that turned left onto the road for Leathley. I think that is the B6161. Anyway, cross the River Washburn at Leathley Bridge and start that climb up to Farnley Hall.

Followed by the wonderful whizz down into Otley, to cross the Wharfe again and wander through the roadworks until I found the A 660 to ride up. A bit of level road, the drop past the Puritan chapel and turn right up ( again ) into old Bramhope village. A bit more interesting road takes me on to Cookridge and the top of a long descent almost all the way back home via a gentle detour through Kirkstall, where I crossed the River Aire yet again. Brilliant morning’s ride, slightly black lacquered now.

The all important map.

17082016.jpg

Katherine

Guru
My thigh muscles are sore today but I had a great ride. Yesterday I finally broke the 80 miler!!! 83.9 miles to be precise. My previous longest ride was about 72 miles.
I chose the lovely ride out through the Cheshire countryside to the Anderton Boat Lift again but with an extra loop.
It's taken me this long to work out a fairly familiar route and plan in a day when I could be out for so long.
Only two weeks and four days to go to the Manchester 100. I have been starting to think why did I ever sign up for it but I did need the challenge to make me push myself to doing longer rides.
I was cautious about going so far on my own so the furthest away I went was 30 miles and then I repeated the end bit between between Anderton and High Legh, (a) because it was the nicest - lovely countryside, quiet roads, and (b) because it made me do the extra miles - I couldn't change my mind and go home early.
There was a scarecrow festival in Great Budworth which slowed me down, because I obviously had to take lots of photos, even though I'd given myself strict instructions not to keep stopping, that's easier said than done.

IMG_20160816_114340464.jpg

Also hunger pangs didn't always correspond with comfort breaks. I'd only done 19 miles when I got to the other side of Warburton Bridge, but there's a lovely bench to stop at and enjoy a Kellogs rice Krispy bar. After that it's a steady ride to High Legh garden centre where I stopped for a stretch and a comfort break which turned into a coffee and cake stop too. It gave me a boost to get to Anderton and I was able to relax and enjoy the beautiful countryside.
I had a sandwich at the cafe by the boat lift which was busy with boats being lifted up and down between the Weaver Navigation and the Trent and Mersey canal. I cycled back to High Legh but didn't stop that time before looping back to Anderton again. This time I had a delicious local ice cream.

IMG_20160816_150452528.jpg

On the return home I felt much more relaxed and comfortable, my legs seemed easier and there was more parts with a tail wind too. I was only ten miles from home before I needed to stop for another snack bar. It was hot and sunny all day but cycling is the perfect activity because you make your own air conditioning as you ride! I took two 750 ml bottles with me and asked the cafe to fill one both times I stopped there.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The final ride to the South Devon coast.
We rolled down the hill from Langstone Manor caravan park where we stayed in a pod last night. Within 5 minutes we had a 1st gear wake up call! Mercifully it was followed by a loooong decent to Whitchurch where we picked up the Drake trail. There were a few ups to contend with, and then I spied a BIG up section. Luckily it was the path leading to Grenofen. We then went through the tunnel
image.jpeg

A few icy drips cooled us off!

Going over a cattle grid the rear tyre felt a bit bony, so we stopped off to add some wind to the tube. Then we came to the Gem bridge
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We crossed a small road at Horrabridge then carried on the path. A couple walked by 'not much more hill' said the man.... Bloody liar! We only just hung in there! We stopped at Leg of Mutton for a brew.
From Yelverton the trail had a few too many gates. It was stop start for a while.
The road took us down into the valley at Clearbrook, then rejoins with the trail.
What came next was so lovely. Miles of 3/5% decent on silky smooth Tarmac.

At the end of Plymbridge woods we called in to the caravan park (owned by my in laws) and left all the panniers there. We just had the bar bag with minimal repair kit and money.

Along the embankment we went. Fugly.
image.jpeg

Through back streets we went, then out on to the big road at Cattedown roundabout. At the Barbican we stopped at Rockets and Rascals for something to eat
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mrs Dave enjoying a well earned cortado.

We climbed back on and went just down the road to the Mayflower Steps
image.jpeg

Coast to coast.

All we had to do now was get to Wembury, and it was starting to rain, and I had no coat!
We decided to come through Elburton. More direct, less hilly, but not pretty. I'd wanted to come via Jennycliff but couldn't be bothered getting wet!

One last big hill and a few small ones and we're done.

Shame my passport it at home, I could carry on!

https://www.strava.com/activities/679232742

Miles=101.1
Up=5298'
Time=12hr32mins

I won't mention how much food was consumed...:blush:

Katherine

Guru
The final ride to the South Devon coast.
We rolled down the hill from Langstone Manor caravan park where we stayed in a pod last night. Within 5 minutes we had a 1st gear wake up call! Mercifully it was followed by a loooong decent to Whitchurch where we picked up the Drake trail. There were a few ups to contend with, and then I spied a BIG up section. Luckily it was the path leading to Grenofen. We then went through the tunnel
View attachment 140019
A few icy drips cooled us off!

Going over a cattle grid the rear tyre felt a bit bony, so we stopped off to add some wind to the tube. Then we came to the Gem bridge
View attachment 140020
View attachment 140021
We crossed a small road at Horrabridge then carried on the path. A couple walked by 'not much more hill' said the man.... Bloody liar! We only just hung in there! We stopped at Leg of Mutton for a brew.
From Yelverton the trail had a few too many gates. It was stop start for a while.
The road took us down into the valley at Clearbrook, then rejoins with the trail.
What came next was so lovely. Miles of 3/5% decent on silky smooth Tarmac.

At the end of Plymbridge woods we called in to the caravan park (owned by my in laws) and left all the panniers there. We just had the bar bag with minimal repair kit and money.

Along the embankment we went. Fugly.
View attachment 140022

Through back streets we went, then out on to the big road at Cattedown roundabout. At the Barbican we stopped at Rockets and Rascals for something to eat
View attachment 140023

View attachment 140024
Mrs Dave enjoying a well earned cortado.

We climbed back on and went just down the road to the Mayflower Steps
View attachment 140025

Coast to coast.

All we had to do now was get to Wembury, and it was starting to rain, and I had no coat!
We decided to come through Elburton. More direct, less hilly, but not pretty. I'd wanted to come via Jennycliff but couldn't be bothered getting wet!

One last big hill and a few small ones and we're done.

Shame my passport it at home, I could carry on!

https://www.strava.com/activities/679232742

Miles=101.1
Up=5298'
Time=12hr32mins

I won't mention how much food was consumed...:blush:
Sounds like a great trip, well done!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A nice little loop around Stanstead airport with a mate. Nice 8am start we were back to the pub by12am. My other half came to the pub to join us for a beer or two. A really enjoyable ride. No mums in there 4x4s taking there little brates the 100 yds to school.:laugh: The weather was great got a bit warm towards the end, but a really nice route.:okay:
https://www.strava.com/activities/679238972#kudos

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
After my experience of skinny road tyres on rough tracks the other day, I fitted some 38c CX tyres and had a wee spin out to try them. What a difference! My backside was saying thank you all the way home.

One image I'm sure we can all identify with - freewheeling downhill in the sun

image.jpeg

Top Bottom