Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Heal quickly @Stonechat !

Out today with the boy for a quick spin. We just did the loop down to Gamlingay. On the wat out it was foggy, by the time we were coming back there was evidence of sunshine.

I've not ridden with Thomas for a while (apart from Monday on the velodrome), biggest gear he's got, sails away up the hill while I spin away like crazy!

IMG_1225.JPG

25 miles done. I wish I was still in my 20's!

https://www.strava.com/activities/760376853

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My 26th club ride of the year and, as a bit of a milestone, my 75th overall. Beautiful Autumn weather today. Dry, mild and very little wind. Made for a great little ride of 32.3 miles out to Stroud then up to Minchinhampton Common via Culver Hill (with @Frazzle looking after me) and the Devil's Elbow. That woodland ride and a further gentle climb over the common was followed by a great descent of Brimscombe Hill (a first for me) and a great few minutes of 20+mph sprinting back to Stroud on the lovely flat Cirencester Road. There we stopped at the Upper Lock cafe for coffee and cakes (Thanks @Dark46).
Here is the "Inter Chilled" crew at the Upper Lock( from left to right, @Dark46, Rich, Lisa, @Frazzle and George):
269 Upper Lock on 75th club ride.JPG

We decided to ignore the rather tame official route back home and head back over Horsepools Hill via Pitchcombe and Edge instead. A really great ride. Bumped into Stroud valley Velos coming the other way at one point .... seemed to be loads of cyclists out there today, perhaps sensing the weather has got to turn some time soon. Enjoy your rides, everyone.
Cheers, Donger.

Gareth C

Veteran
My mountain bike must be getting on for three years old, and despite much TLC and replacement of the consumable parts, the chainrings were getting to “that time of life.” This gave me the opportunity to replace, and (say it quietly), upgrade.

So, parts ordered, bike stripped down, the old parts were removed, new parts fitted, and a quick spin around the street shows it is all working, but how would the new 1×10 system work in the real mountain biking environment?

img_1064.jpg

Raceface 30T narrow-wide chainring, and e-13 42T cassette expander added. (Double chainring and bash guard, front derailleur, cable, front shifter and 17 tooth rear cog removed!)
Off to Hamsterley forest. Being a beautiful autumn day, it was heaving with people, and almost impossible to park. On to the bike, and pedal furiously to get away from the yappy dogs and screaming children. A quick climb up the black trail confirms that the lowest gearing (30 x 42) is good enough to get up the hill. Then out onto the moors (which were beautiful in their autumn colours), and the fast swoopy, then rocky descent of Doctors Gate. No dropped chains.

5032c4b4-3ba0-41fa-91e0-b8232f888028.jpg

Lovely out by the moors.
A quiet spin back to the road through the forest, then pack up, head home and give the bike a wash.

img_1066.jpg

Not much fungi about.
Mission successful!

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Spent last night looking at is map looking for new routes decided to go west to so new roads . Out at 10.00 in gloomy conditions but still in shorts at the end of October . Through Newtown Linford and bumped in to a mate from work crossing the road on his MTB out doing a bit of off roading . Quick chat and we go our separate ways . Groby ,Ratby and heading for the level crossing at Desford and come across road closed ahead sign surely I can get through on the bike could see a rider coming the other way so you can get through oh no he signals to turn round and confirms it's a no go :angry: .So quick reroute and a three mile detour made slightly easy as I rode with the other rider chatting away he's already done 42 miles so I leave on the climb into Desford and press on .Peckleton ,Thurlaston and onto new roads . Croft ,Sutton Elms ,Frolesworth, Stoney Stanton and Earl Shilton and back onto familiar ground .Into Kirby Mallory quick stop and peek over the hedge to catch a glimpse of the race track watching cars flying round . Check of the milage and a 50 miler on if I extend the route home .Newbold Vernon ,Barestone ,Bagworth ,Thornton down by the reservoir and back to Ratby a quick loop round the village and onto Groby another loop around the village adding a mile and back to Anstey another loop and home with 50.8 miles in the bag

Last edited:

Surlydave

Über Member
With great weather on Saturday I hoped Sunday would be just as good for our club ride,
it was just as mild but stubborn cloud meant we did not see much sun! However that did
not deter us from a very enjoyable jaunt from Ipswich to Monks Eleigh for coffee, and
then on to Stowupland for lunch. Light winds and great autumnal colours in the
hedgerows made for a super day out with the bonus of spotting a couple of hares
running across the bare fields.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/8035690

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Report from yesterday, apologies for the delay.

The forecast was grey but mild for the time of year and more importantly dry so I decided to head east and see what roads took my fancy.
Quick warm up locally and then up the hill to Scholes, right at the Coronation Tree and on to Barwick in Elmet where I turned right again for Long lane and the descent, then climb, to Garforth.
Quick stop for a drink at the lights and then on up the A642 to the roundabout over the M1 and across towards Aberford. Left into the village and along past the Almshouses and the football pitch (no setting the sign off today), before a right and the climb back up the Lotherton Gates.
I had intended to take Copley Lane to Saxton, but the road was closed - how very rude!
So, I carried on up the B1217, through the mud on the road by the farm entrance (100m plus on each side - reported) and enjoyed the descent down to the Crooked Billet pub, shortly afterwards climbing Dam Lane before descending into Saxton from that side.
Through the village and then business as usual to Barkston Ash, then the long straight to Church Fenton. Through there and the quiet lane to Ryther around the southern side of the airfield, over the East Coast Main Line and into the village, where I stopped for a drink and a photo by the River Wharfe
IMG_20161029_090244120_HDR.jpg

Back in the saddle and turned west now, back over the railway line and through Ozendyke and into Ulleskelf.
For a change I turned left here and cycled past the airfield entrance, completing the loop back into Church Fenton, where it started to rain.
Now the normally reliable Helen Willetts had assured me just a few hours earlier that I could expect a dry morning, so I was somewhat discombobulated by this.
What to do? I could have expected such shenanigans from the eternally unreliable Peter Gibbs but here was a first. And to think I pay my licence fee for this! :rolleyes:
Anyway, I decided to press on rather than stop and put my waterproof jacket on, but I was back in Barkston Ash before it stopped raining.

Anyway, retraced my steps to Saxton, passing a decent sized club ride heading the opposite way and then back onto Dam Lane for the return. Obviously the earlier descents were now ascents, but my legs felt good and I was soon on the downhill into Aberford again.
Right here through the village and onto Cattle Lane, where I had a quick stop for a drink and a few Haribo Tangfastic, before tackling the roller-coaster road to Cock Beck, before the long drag up into and through Barwick, almost all the way to Scholes, before the downhill to the Coronation Tree and along Leeds Road before the busy but quick downhill to Cock Beck (again), climbing up the other side ad then local roads up to home.

34.2 miles (55.04 km) in 2h 13m at an average of 15.4 mph with 1341ft climbed, with an average temperature of 9.2 degrees C.
I'll take that all day long - remember I've been feeling knackered and really having to push myself to get the miles in? None of that on this ride and I felt good when I got home. In fact if I hadn't needed to get out for something else later in the day I would have stayed out on the bike longer.

29102016.JPG

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
A short ride this afternoon, after returning from a couple of days away at a friends. He smokes like a chimney and so it was good to be out in the fresh air to clear the lungs out!!

Headed out through Bayston Hill, crossing the bridge over the A5 where there were 2 solid lanes of traffic queuing back as far as the eye could see, all heading back from the half term break in Wales.

Climbed up Lyth Hill, where the off road section is now drier than it was all summer! We've certainly had a lovely Autumn so far, and today again was really mild.

Dropped down to Exfords Green and then called in at Dad's for half an hour. Back out onto the road, headed for Ryton and then turned towards Berriewood and the lovely downhill straight to Condover.

There are 2 ways home from there, and I decided on the climb up to Cantlop, before joining the road to Betton Abbots and then home, dodging the everlasting roadworks and traffic lights. Was almost dark at 4:45pm, after the clocks went back last night.

17.1 miles

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Only day off today, again.
Heavyish rain first thing but forecast was good :smile:
Set off, hanger right, across the dual carriageway (always hate that part) :sad: then on towards one of my favourite routes. We're only around 7 miles from the city but lots of lovely countryside on the doorstep :okay:

Stopped for a wee rest and some cows spying on us :dry: Carried on to find lots of changes due to the AWPR (Aberdeen bypass). Overtaken by 2 friendly folks in Aberdeen Wheelers kit (I think) they were very muddy. Almost fell off laughing at Mr M trying to catch them :laugh:
We stopped to check out the big changes at what used to be a very quiet wee stretch, lots of dubs (mud) on the road due to the bypass and farm traffic. Passed a family out for a run, mum, followed by wee guy, then dad pulling a tag along with a wee toot aboard :hello:

Met another wee equine pal (which one is the horse) :eek: :blush: :laugh:
Went a longer route than usual, which turned into an even longer one due to a road closure (bypass works), didn't mind as really enjoying the ride. Lots of folks out today having fun :smile:
Tried out my new degreaser on Mr M's bike (he'd put her away, filthy as usual) :headshake:
Both bikes cleaned, lubed and put away.
Lunch came and went during our ride so we'd more than earned our steak pie, chips and fizz :hungry:
A really enjoyable day and the weather held up too.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Spent last night looking at is map looking for new routes decided to go west to so new roads . Out at 10.00 in gloomy conditions but still in shorts at the end of October . Through Newtown Linford and bumped in to a mate from work crossing the road on his MTB out doing a bit of off roading . Quick chat and we go our separate ways . Groby ,Ratby and heading for the level crossing at Desford and come across road closed ahead sign surely I can get through on the bike could see a rider coming the other way so you can get through oh no he signals to turn round and confirms it's a no go :angry: .So quick reroute and a three mile detour made slightly easy as I rode with the other rider chatting away he's already done 42 miles so I leave on the climb into Desford and press on .Peckleton ,Thurlaston and onto new roads . Croft ,Sutton Elms ,Frolesworth, Stoney Stanton and Earl Shilton and back onto familiar ground .Into Kirby Mallory quick stop and peek over the hedge to catch a glimpse of the race track watching cars flying round . Check of the milage and a 50 miler on if I extend the route home .Newbold Vernon ,Barestone ,Bagworth ,Thornton down by the reservoir and back to Ratby a quick loop round the village and onto Groby another loop around the village adding a mile and back to Anstey another loop and home with 50.8 miles in the bag

If you'd gone a bit further south from Frolesworth there are some cracking roads, especially once you get passed Lutterworth. If you then go east a bit there is a nice hill at Cold Ashby.

Dark46

Veteran
Today's ride was my return to the KCC inters group .

I had no idea where the ride was going today but I had to return as the beginners group was too short, but it was the thing to do to get back.

There was a good turn out today at about 25 cyclists across the groups .

The fast group set off then it was the interview group of which we split into two with the fast inters disappearing almost immediately .

We headed out of the Kingsway towards Naas Lane and on to Stonehouse . It was here I finally found out that we where heading up Culver Hill . To be honest to me it really didn't mean anything . Lol

Yes Coulter Hill was harder than I expected but I wasn't giving up. I made it to the turning point where people were waiting . I must say it easy a while before I could talk lol.

At least that was the worst climb of the day taken care of. From here it was a narrow windy lane in Nailsworth . Then it was a quick right left then yo the devils elbow .

The next Section was across Michenhampton common, from here it was downhill to Stroud and to Lock keepers Cafe ffor the rest stop.

For me it was a black coffee and a piece of Hikers cake (fruit cake ) which was very nice . I got paid Friday so I bought @Donger and @Frazzle a drink. We sat down the bottom outside and this was the place to be as we were almost treated to 2 people miss footing themselves and ending up in the canal.

Instead of going on the planned flat route home we decided it was up and over Edge.

The ride ended up to be 31.5 miles which was very enjoyable and Vladimir to be back in the inters .

Top Bottom