Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

L Q

Über Member
Only did 10 miles today but by hell it was a cracker, Portknockie to past Findochty and back again

Beautiful weather but most importantly for me it was the 1st time I have rode with my son this year.

And just before sunset we sat and watched the Dolphins swimming right in front of us. Quality day ^_^

colly

Re member eR
Sunday afternoon, Chrismas puddings, mixed, stuff dropped in at the tip, cleaned the kitchen floor, what shall I do ? Sit and watch some yappy goon on TV or.................go for a ride.
Some decisions are easy to make.
Second time out in as many days on my geared bike. I have fettled things and it should be just peachy. It wan't of course, I mean that never happens does it?
Jumping gears I decided were not an out of adjustment derailieur but instead I now think my chain has stretched. 14% and the chain clunking and jumping about all over the place is kind of annoying.
I internalised my irritation and feelings of peace and goodwill returned. Until the next climb anyway.
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/11725108

Maybe it was the dodgy gears or maybe I am coming down with something but it felt like real hard work all the way round.:sad:

A couple of extremely iffy photos:
Looking across from the top of Kearby Cliff towards Almscliffe Craggs
20161030_140855[1].jpg

A view looking west along Wharfedale. You can just make out Arthington Viaduct.
20161030_144108[1].jpg

Almscliffe Crags from Weardley.
20161030_140857[1].jpg

Eccup Reservoir showing a low level for this time of year. Probably 20' down from usual.
20161030_150002[1].jpg 20161030_150008[1].jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sunday afternoon, Chrismas puddings, mixed, stuff dropped in at the tip, cleaned the kitchen floor, what shall I do ? Sit and watch some yappy goon on TV or.................go for a ride.
Some decisions are easy to make.
Second time out in as many days on my geared bike. I have fettled things and it should be just peachy. It wan't of course, I mean that never happens does it?
Jumping gears I decided were not an out of adjustment derailieur but instead I now think my chain has stretched. 14% and the chain clunking and jumping about all over the place is kind of annoying.
I internalised my irritation and feelings of peace and goodwill returned. Until the next climb anyway.
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/11725108

Maybe it was the dodgy gears or maybe I am coming down with something but it felt like real hard work all the way round.:sad:

A couple of extremely iffy photos:
Looking across from the top of Kearby Cliff towards Almscliffe Craggs
View attachment 149676

A view looking west along Wharfedale. You can just make out Arthington Viaduct.
View attachment 149679

Almscliffe Crags from Weardley.
View attachment 149677

Eccup Reservoir showing a low level for this time of year. Probably 20' down from usual.
View attachment 149680 View attachment 149681
That reminds me of the ride you took me and Calum on a few years back.

I'm still hoping that you can make it to my ride next Saturday, so get those gears fettled! :okay:

I did a 31 km local ride today, mainly up and down the A646, but also including a ride up through Cragg Vale to tackle the steepest part of the climb to the open moorland (only about 8%, so not too tough compared to a lot of the local monster gradients), then u-turning and heading back.

The object of the exercise was to test a couple of gear ratios for the singlespeed bike project that I am working on. The bike will mainly be used for the local valleys which only have gentle climbs, but I wondered whether I would be able to do the Cragg Vale climb on either of those gears. I knew that I would be okay on the bulk of it which is at about 2-4%. It was that ramp in the middle that could be a problem ...

I set off from Todmorden in 36/12, which was a nice gear to be spinning along in, but when I got to the short climb to the traffic lights at the bottom of the Heptonstall Road in Hebden Bridge I soon realised that it was slightly too high a ratio. I switched to 36/13 for the rest of the ride. That gave a speed of about 32 kph at my favourite cadence, but a comfortable range of 24-40 kph, which will be fine for most of the valley roads.

36/13 felt a bit overgeared for the first part of the Cragg Vale climb, but it was usable. It certainly wouldn't put me off riding up there.

As for the 8% ramp ... Hmm, that felt like hard work! I did manage to get up it but I was close to the limit of the effort that I would be prepared to make. I could always walk up that section if I couldn't be bothered to make that effort; it is only a couple of hundred metres in length.

After that ramp, the gradient slackens off and the climb to Blackstone Edge will be fine unless there is a strong headwind, in which case it wouldn't be! Mind you, I always check the forecast before heading up there, and I do not intend doing a long climb into a headwind on a ss bike!

There is a flat section on the A58 at the summit, then a fast downhill to Littleborough which would be entirely a freewheeling job with only that gear available. Mind you, I spin out on my geared bike anyway, so not much lost there.

From Littleborough there is a long drag up to the summit at, er, Summit! There should be no problem climbing that on the ss bike. From Summit, there is a very easy ride back to Todmorden.

It looks like I will not be limited to the valley roads on the new bike, but will be able to do my Cragg Vale loop too. I won't push my luck by tackling harder rides though ... climbs of 10-25% gradient and a singlespeed bike are not a good match in my cycling world!

So, I think that a 36/13 ratio is the one for me. I will not actually be using a 36 tooth chainring for the ss project - I have an old Campagnolo Chorus chainset available and will use the 53 tooth ring on that. A 19 tooth sprocket will give me a ratio of 2.79:1, which compares nicely with the 2.77 offered by 36/13. The 59/19 should be slightly more efficient and wear more slowly than 36/13 because the pedalling load will be spread over a lot more teeth.

I have ordered the remaining parts for the bike and will be building it in the next week or two. I'll do the full loop on it to see if my thoughts above work out in practice.

Ouch. GWS. On the plus side, you can ride the turbo with 1 hand...
Trying to work out if there are some leg strength exercises I can do

@Elybazza61

Tottenham is a big diversion....

I blame the auto-correct:whistle::rolleyes:

Didn't get out yesterday so had to do a bit longer commute this morning to complete the Strava October challenge.

Didn't feel that great heading out on a dank,murky Monday but was ok once rolling along;had to stop at Soham to re-set the light on the Garmin and from then on it was Fordham,Burwell the Swaffhams and then de-touring to Bottisham and the Wilbrahams.
Then through to Fulbourn before another detour along Shelford Rd,Worts Causway and up and down Lime Kiln Rd before finishing at Fulbourn Tesco for some snacks.

https://www.strava.com/activities/761324035

Then a short warm-down to work;

https://www.strava.com/activities/761324035

So 1,250kms done for the month and now 10,473 for the year;don't think the next two months will be as much but will 'only' need 763 and a bit for each month to complete my personal goal of 12,000kms for the year.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
What a fabulous day it is out there today . it's like a summer's day. 3 friends of mine all made the effort to get out at the weekend, while I just made excuses not to, so today was a day I just couldn't not get out on my bike.

I started out wearing a base layer and an outer jacket. after only 15 minutes I was so hot that I had to take the outer layer off. there are lots of fallen leaves now and I was a bit worried about sliding all over the place and possibly having an off, but all was well. 11 miles done, in fabulous weather and countryside. what more can you ask for .

20161031_114839.jpg
20161031_113754.jpg
20161031_120446.jpg
20161031_115015.jpg

Old jon

Guru
Funny dreams last night. Must have been, ‘cos I woke up determined to go to Lotherton Hall to renew my season ticket. My subconscious has to be difficult, but it normally stays sub. Not today.

So, I rode roughly the same route as last Thursday. A few degrees warmer and much more sun, there may have been a little more pressure in the tyres because the pedals turned easier. Or I may just be fooling myself. Much more likely. That said, from April to June I rode over 600 miles per month, this last two months have been less than 300. I will find something to blame. There are two differences between today’s ride and Thursday. I rode around the north side of Garforth, no cliff, and I was brave enough to ride into Lotherton Hall grounds. The place was still surprisingly busy, the café reminded me of the one at the Horniman in Forest Hill, mothers with bairns, so pushchairs everywhere. The menu at Lotherton has a lot of catching up to do, compared to the museum version.

I had some strange ideas ( subconsciously ) of riding to Sherburn and back through Garforth and Swillington, but decided on the tried and ( many times ) tested pedal through Aberford, Barwick, Scholes and almost Thorner, whizz the hill and home to complete twenty eight and a big fraction miles for the morning. Fine by me.

And a fine example of Garminology.

31102016.jpg

Old Yellow

Regular
After a short ride across the north part of Norwich, we joined Marriotts way heading North to Drayton along he old track bed of the M&GN railway line.Being limited for time, we cut short our ride at Felthorpe airfield and headed to the cafe at Taverham garden centre for coffee and scones. To avoid the diversion caused by the building of the new Norwich Distributor Road, we went the more direct way back to Marriotts way via Thorpe Marriott.

IMGP0241_zps1wirvu6c.jpg

IMGP0249_zpsok99uulq.jpg

IMGP0251_zpsrkr4baqd.jpg

And found this little road, Low Row, on the way back

IMGP0252_zpszpojvnyo.jpg

A gentle 22 mile ride in fine weather!

gaz71

Über Member
For the first time in a couple weeks due to niggling problems with my bike,i managed to do a 13 mile ride after work.Going through Bushy Park was really foggy,had to be careful not to ride into the river! I wish people walking through a dark,foggy park would carry a torch with them as i nearly rode into someone who was out walking their dog.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back on since my tumble at Llandegla. Shoulder is now healing up.

Usual evening route, but well, I met some local 'wild life'. Trick or Treating was still going on with lots of little kids about. Rounded the corner two streets from home, gang of young lads. 'Biker' was shouted, next thing a few rocks whiz past me. I carry on, oh bugger, bigger group of older teens. One jumps out from the crowd and hurls an iron bar at me. Fortunately it clattered off the front wheel without going through the spokes (MTB). Slammed on and gave them some of my mind, but what are you going to do with 15-20 pricks. :angry:

Carried on down the farm lanes, didn't see another sole other than 3 badgers. Got upto the next village, and spotted two officers so pulled over and reported it as this particular spot near home regularly has groups causing trouble. The officers took details and were going to call it in. The officers told me to avoid a certain road in that village due to Halloween trouble, but I wasn't going that way. Didn't see another sole, and cut my ride slightly short so I didn't have to come up off the TPT through the local council estate. Decent ride other than that. Absolutely filthy though. Glad I went out despite the idiots.

Top Bottom