Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I took a day off to evade tomorrow's hurricane! 100yds from the house I had to return for my sunglasses, a good start!
It was cool but pleasant enough out, blossom, sheep in fields and yellowhammers calling I made my way to Graveley, then out to Buckden. Getting across the A1 roundabout was interesting! On past Grafham Water then right to Kimbolton, my first 25 miles into a noticable headwind! I stopped in Kimbolton for a cup of tea and a croissant. The gatehouse of what is now a posh school was built by Robert Adam
image.jpg

It was interesting watching parents drop their kids off in Maseratis and Ferraris, I used to go on my Raliegh Winner!
Another few miles of headwind before I turned south at Lower Dean. The next 25 miles or so were great, quiet roads and beautiful thatched and timbered houses in pretty villages until I reached Great Barford.
image.jpg

The pretty and quiet wasn't to last much longer, things were getting more built up, and there were less hedges to protect me from the horrible cross wind.
I stopped at Broom in Jordan's Mill, the cereal people. What a lovely place and what lovely staff! I had scrambled eggs on toast and a pot of Earl Grey.
image.jpg

image.jpg

The next bit of the ride was crap! No signs, couldn't quite decipher it on my phone. This was around Baldock. I asked a postie how I'd get to Ashwell, the only way was the bloody bypass! Head down and ignore everything with a white rumble strip for protection!
So I was back to the rural idyll, but rolling hills had appeared and my stumpy little legs were getting tired. From the top of the hill before Ashwell it looked like...
image.jpg

Onwards, I had choices. I chose the road to Wrestlingworth as the road to Potton was into a head wind. The next 10 miles were spent on a road that ended in Potton with a head wind all the way. Oh, how I laughed....
I stopped at Waresley garden centre as I needed cake, it seemed every woman over the age of 50 from a 10 mile radius was in the tea shop!
image.jpg

On through the Gransdens, Bourn, Kingston, Barton and along Grange Road in Cambridge before I headed for home on my daily commute route.
Once home I'd done 101.41 miles with an average speed of 14.47mph. I'm really chuffed with that for a solo ride and still not feeling 100% after my virus. At about 20 miles I'd been thinking of calling either a taxi or an ambulance!

theloafer

Legendary Member
^_^... time to get back in the saddle need to keep legs going :laugh:...I am slowly getting further each time (just) a short trip to Wynyard great (tearoom) along the woodland walk/cycle route to the http://markoandplacemakers.com/projects/wynyard-bridge-durham-uk then on to the ncn cycle route along side the A689 Sedgefield turn for home along by the race course/ a bit chilly but was good to be out ^_^.. 28 miles https://connect.garmin.com/activity/730255810
scotch broth
WP_20150327_001.jpg

coffee and walnut
WP_20150327_002.jpg

was very quiet for a w/end till I was told it was fri ..:wacko:
WP_20150327_004.jpg

tearoom...:hungry:
WP_20150327_005.jpg

WP_20150327_007.jpg

WP_20150327_008.jpg

just before the bridge there taking out the conifers info here http://www.stockton.gov.uk/locations/locations/wynyardwood/
WP_20150327_011.jpg

WP_20150327_009.jpg

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I did the usual ride to the hospital to meet Hubster before going to work. 6.9 miles with really stiff legs. I've been doing the 30 day squat challenge with some friends. I misread day 1 as 80 squats instead of 50 as I couldn't find my specs. Yesterday was fine. This morning I am walking like John Wayne. I did a very gentle 60 squats (day 3 requirement) before a gentle, 35 minute ride to meet Hubs.

I am still walking like JW but much warmer now. I have 7 miles to the monthly target this month but it's going to tip it down tomorrow and the next day. Hopefully by Monday I will be able to walk properly again.

Yesterday's ride report...
I over did it. Well and truly. Still suffering today....
It was once again the Whitegate Way. There's a surprise. It was dull when I set off, but apparently it was to be the best of the weather during the time I was out.
I had decided that I was going to go to the 5 mile mark and turn around and come home. I wanted to maintain the same distance I had done the day before. I know, its nothing huge but it I still all I can manage. Well I set off, and got to my favourite trees (there is a strange calming essence to them and I love to just sit there and absorb it. I know I sound madder than normal, but hey ho, I can easily go and hug one of them if my back would allow... :dry:)

IMG_2499.JPG

Today they had a strange greyness to them... but it was nice and calming all the same. Usually I stop and admire them from the other direction. Today, they struck me from this direction... perhaps I should have taken the hint here....

IMG_2509.JPG

The mere, it has no fish because it is too acidic. It is also very good at killing the trees around it. It also happens to be the highest point on the Whitegate Way. Both directions it is now downhill all the way.

IMG_2516.JPG

So there was me. At the 5 mile mark. It looks so inviting just to continue doesn't it! The sun has even come out for me and just down off to the right between 2 trees is the huge patch (and I mean absolutely huge - football pitch and more huge) of ransoms - wild garlic. I could not resist I was almost there... I can have a rest and then stop and turn around and come home. A handful of wild garlic leaves for tea would work really well... so off I went and got some wild garlic, then it was a case of the gate way a the bottom - that would be a good place to turn around... then it was I can see the end of the 'short version of the Whitegate Way'... I may as a well go and complete it, then I can say I did it in its entirety... so I did.

Coming back I stopped for these 2 pictures... (more trees, hope you like trees... thankfully I do!)

IMG_2529b.JPG

So the wild garlic patch is now off on the left... and I'm looking at the journey home. I'm also looking at how long it actually took me to cycle all the way one way. Its more than it used to take me to cycle the journey both ways... getting home is going to be hard and it is suddenly dawning on me that I don't have it in me.

IMG_2531.JPG

Another excuse for a rest, but after here it is time to just spin those legs and pray they make it home.

IMG_2535.JPG

OK - why is it, it always looks nicer behind you. I'm too knackered right now to even get out of my seat and take a proper photo... this is worrying.

IMG_2540.JPG

Looks nice behind, but also rather muddy and it is only going to get muddier from here on it and muddier means harder and my back is now hurting me. My legs have nothing left in them and ....

I did make it home, obviously, but I have paid for it and will continue to pay for it for all of today.
https://www.strava.com/activities/274753752 10.8 miles in a dismal 6.1mph. Strangely I managed to get a strava 2015 4th place cup for something! Guess I must just be the 4th person this year to do that segment because it definitely has nothing to do with my time!

I'm not cycling today. I should have been but neither the weather nor myself are up to it. It's a stay in bed and eat day. I think I should manage that if I don't fall asleep whilst I am remote controlling my parents' computer which is downstairs!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Yesterday's ride report...
I over did it. Well and truly. Still suffering today....

The problem with riding there & back instead of using a route. I know that feeling. I hope the pain isn't too great.

The problem with riding there & back instead of using a route. I know that feeling. I hope the pain isn't too great.
Yesterday the pain was bad. I had 7 doses of morphine to deal with it! Usually I am only at 5 and that does not count the paracetamol, but at least I managed to stay off the codeine as well!

Today is utter exhaustion. My body is not aching from too much exercise, it is aching from a lack of energy and glucose and one of my medical conditions (adrenal insufficiency). It is physically weak from lack of nutrients! I know if I try anything whilst I am like this, I will end up having a hypoglycaemic attack. The problem with them is that unlike a diabetic one, mine will repeat after initial treatment and repeat and repeat for 5 or 6 hours and I hate it. I'm also craving food badly which is a sure sign that there are problems a foot for today and I need to be really careful. AI can kill and quickly so avoiding attacks (some can be potassium/sodium balance issues in the blood stream or glucose issues - in other words the body not getting anything of what you eat into your system. I shall have to l stay in bed (not that I currently do anything else) but also eat... and double my steroids as a precaution. :sad:

Katherine

Guru
Yesterday the pain was bad. I had 7 doses of morphine to deal with it! Usually I am only at 5 and that does not count the paracetamol, but at least I managed to stay off the codeine as well!

Today is utter exhaustion. My body is not aching from too much exercise, it is aching from a lack of energy and glucose and one of my medical conditions (adrenal insufficiency). It is physically weak from lack of nutrients! I know if I try anything whilst I am like this, I will end up having a hypoglycaemic attack. The problem with them is that unlike a diabetic one, mine will repeat after initial treatment and repeat and repeat for 5 or 6 hours and I hate it. I'm also craving food badly which is a sure sign that there are problems a foot for today and I need to be really careful. AI can kill and quickly so avoiding attacks (some can be potassium/sodium balance issues in the blood stream or glucose issues - in other words the body not getting anything of what you eat into your system. I shall have to l stay in bed (not that I currently do anything else) but also eat... and double my steroids as a precaution. :sad:
Whoops!
Hope you recover soon. X

Dark46

Veteran
I wasn't going to go out as a tough day at work. The Berney asked if anyone wanted to go for a quick ride? I said about the KCC2 TT and as she hadn't ever done it then yes.

I met her at the usual spot that we meet on Sundays with the club and then we set off.

I set a pb for the TT and lowered it by 47s! Well chuffed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-27-18-17-55.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-27-18-17-55.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 33

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Having been off the bike for a couple of days with a bad back I was in danger of not hitting 300 miles for the week, so got up this morning and thought sod it, got on the bike and went out.

Was very windy, even saw a telephone pole snapped in two, though I can't see how the wind could have done that.

I needed to do 55 miles over the weekend to hit toe 300 so the plan was to ride into the wind for 31 miles, turn and ride home to make a 100km. So I headed out in a southerly direction, taking turns to either go west or stay south. I got to Walcote and took a turn that took me south east for a few miles and gave me a bit of respite from the wind, then I turned west and headed for Catthorpe. Went straight over the M1 M6 interchange - wouldn't fancy doing that on a bike in rush hour - and saw that the route to come back was blocked due to road works.

So I skirted round the edge of Rugby and crossed over the M1 further south and headed down to West Haddon, at this point I came across what looked like the aftermath of a cyclist going down. The bike was leant up against a lamp post and there was an ambulance and two cars, I can only assume the cyclist was in the ambulance, the bike looked fine and I couldn't see any damage on the cars, so fingers crossed for the cyclist.

I then did a loop around Ravensthorpe and Guilsborough and back into West Haddon, then headed pretty much in a straight line north to get back to Leicester and home and only hitting rain for the last 5 miles or so. 64 miles done and my 66th week in a row of doing a minimum of 300 miles.

I think the roads south of Leicester going towards Northampton are my favourite roads at the minute, normally very quiet and you get to go through some cracking villages

https://www.strava.com/activities/275216225

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Not being a great lover of riding in wind & rain (who is!) I decided on just a short 30 miles this morning before the rain side of things kicked in. So fueled by my usual large bowl of porridge I set off more or less straight away (a decision I was to later regret) into the south-westerly wind which seemed to be picking up by the minute.

Once through the suburbs of Netley Marsh & Bartley I was into more rural Minstead before the New Forest starts around Emery Down. Next was my one & only little climb of the day at Bolderwood, just a half mile 5 or 6% incline but it was now that my overdose of porridge was sitting rather heavily & a burp now would not have been a good idea!!

With that done I finally picked up a tailwind across the former WWII airfield site at Stoney Cross, setting a PB along the way on one segment & passing a peloton of around 20 cyclists coming heads down into the now rather strong wind.

A few spots of rain started 6 miles from home but with a little more effort I just about made it in the dry thanks in no small part to the met office who said it would rain at mid-day & it did.

https://www.strava.com/activities/275201439

145.JPG

Just the one pic today of the swaying trees & the darkening sky.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
2 rides for me today, and it was nice to start the Saturday bread run with my lad again, something he looks forward too each weekend. Happened to fall on a 'ride' day so we did the gentle 3 miles or so as always.
By the time it got to 'proper' ride time it was a bit more breezy, so I went out kitted up in longs and a coat. Bad move, and at 5 miles I was cooking. Attempts to remove coat and stuff all contents (and coat) into jersey pockets failed, so the coat ended up in the spare bottle holder. I got my bloods back yesterday which showed me as back to normal which gives confidence to push on a bit with the physio, so I upped my pace a bit and headed out into Lyne, Foxhills and Virginia Water. It was here I realised that what I had come to consider mere bumps in the road had once again become hills and I started to struggle. A pause for Haribo at Englefield Green got me fired up a bit, so headed out through Thorpe to add a couple of extra miles. I stopped for a photo (including the bike, take note @Dave 123 ) at what is to me a significant gate. It was at this point in July 2013 that my legs gave up and changed my life a bit (and continue to do so).
28 Mar 2015 Norlands Lane Footpath.jpg

Not the best photo ever..
From here it was head down along Chertsey Lane and home. 16.8 miles, and with the bread run made it 20 miles today.
Here's hoping for a nice day Tuesday, I have a new ride to try out...

Top Bottom