Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Good to be out there and a few close passes apart, the rest of the drivers were playing the game today.
Driving this morning I actually hit the brakes and shut my eyes momentarily as the car in front missed a cyclist by the narrowest of margins, they made no attempt to move out. (Decided it was too windy locally today to use the bike - wind across the rear yard was viscous).

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
7 Miles this day, brisk and cool, with but one other cyclist, and a runner. Even over here, too windy to get much done today.
48F 9C
Winds SW24 G33+
Relative humidity 30%
Barometer 29.99/1018.3mb
Sunny, with clouds, and brisk.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Having spent all of yesterday setting up my new PC, waiting for updates, trying to find install discs, changing the settings, etc I really needed to get out for a ride today. In the end the final route was similar to Friday's shopping trip but with extra bits added at random. Yet another grey day with just a small aount of sunshine and increasing winds, but thankfully dry.

All the usual areas visited and a nice 50 miler to finish off the month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/880657214

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Went out about 9.00 am this morning for my second ride on my new bike which was delivered on Thursday. It was quite breezy, but was forecast to get much more breezy as the day wore on, and 40 mph gales were due in the afternoon so I didn't hang round too long. Plus I had promised my wife I would give her a lift to her friend's house for 12.30 as a few of them were going on a hen do to Manchester.

Heading out over "the moss" towards Shirdley Hill, the wind seemed quite strong, but I wasn't sure whether it seemed worse due to the copious amounts of beer I drank at the match yesterday - perhaps a combination of wind and beer. Through Shirdley Hill and towards Clieves Hill, which I rode up from the Halsall side, rather than the shorter Aughton side. I always like the view in this photo which is from Clieves Hills Lane looking over towards the coast at Formby; it reminds me of a tree tunnel - even more so in Summer when the trees are full of leaves:

20170226_091859.jpg

The people in these cottages which are just along from the first photo are lucky enough to have that view from their houses all year round

20170226_091850.jpg

In the distance below is Liverpool about 10 miles away. Looking at the skyline between the 2 houses, a tower looking a bit like a cross in this photo can be seen, which is St. John's Beacon, or The Radio City Tower as it now is. To the left of that directly above the chimney on the house is the Anglican Cathedral.

20170226_092135.jpg

When I rode round a bit further to where most people stop to admire the views, I stopped myself and took a few more photos, including some of my new bike, testing my artistic talents by getting Christ Church, Aughton in a gap in the hedgerow. That is a landmark that can be seen from miles around, I have seen it from Lytham before now.

20170226_092203.jpg

20170226_092209.jpg

20170226_092223.jpg

I also had to include one of the stickers I have put on the top tube. My mate gave me these at the match yesterday, his wife makes them and he has them on his bike so I thought why not......the Everton club crest and motto, the Latin translates to "Nothing but the best is good enough", not sure I gave my best ride after drinking all that beer yesterday.

While I was there a couple of other cyclists stopped for a sit down on one of the benches to admire the view and we had a brief chat. They were saying how strong the wind was and that they would have to ride into it all the way home to Fazakerley, which would probably be about 8 or 9 miles or so away.

Then I carried on and went down the Aughton side of the hill and took a lovely route along Greens Lane, over the canal and emerged onto the main road that runs from Southport through Halsall to Lydiate, and went down to Maghull, right up Sefton Lane to Thornton, past the crematorium and then left down to Crosby. I went down to the beach by the swimming baths where the tide was high, but seeing the sand that Storm Doris had left in the Promenade, I decided to take another route back up to the north end of Sefton and Southport.

20170226_101327.jpg

But not before having a look at the dramatic skyline and an iron man looking out to sea, I love it down there

20170226_101341.jpg

20170226_101348.jpg

20170226_101330.jpg

I headed home via Little Crosby and Formby, and was passed in Little Crosby by an 8 strong club ride travelling at quite a rate of knots. One of them actually carved me up a bit by overtaking me just before reaching a square speed hump and nipping to his left about 6 inches in front of me to avoid hitting it. I think many cyclists would complain of a close pass or similar if a motorist did something like that.

Anyway, it was a smashing ride on a fresh, blustery late winter morning and I am really enjoying my new bike. As it is due to rain quite a bit this week, I'll probably take the old one out a couple of times.

Last edited:

kapelmuur

Veteran
Lots of firsts in a while ( yesterday's ride). First solo 50 miler since last August. First winter ride to Anderton. First solo roadside tube change.

It's a week on Sunday until the next winter Polocini which I signed up for to do with the club. It is going to be 64 miles and I haven't done enough longer rides recently. Today was the only time I could go out this week and I planned a ride out to the Anderton Boat Lift because the lanes out that way are so lovely.

The winds were cold and hard work at times but there was also some lovely sunshine and occasional tail winds too. Lots of debris on the roads and paths, broken fences, damaged signs and fallen trees from yesterday's storm. I enjoyed the peace of a quiet weekday ride through the lanes, spotting the early daffodils, admiring the clumps of snowdrops, crocus, primula, pussy willow, seeing the villages in their winter colours ( no cars parked by the church in Great Budworth!), stopping far too many times for photos, glimpsing lots of large and small birds from pheasants and I think I saw a sparrowhawk on a fence post to little birds in hedges that I couldn't identify, a friendly pony in a field, llamas, sheep, and just being out on the bike.
It was also quite nice to do a longer ride solo for a change. It allowed me to stop for photos but I missed the encouragement to keep going when I'm tiring.

Considering how much debris on the roads and paths that I had to ride over, it was quite surprising that when I did have to stop to see what was wrong with the wheels I was surprised to see a flat tyre rather than a rubbing mudguard or something caught up in the spokes. This was the first time I'd ever had to change a tube when not with a group of other riders keen to help. The first and most time consuming mistake was trying to remove the tyre before eventually wondering if there might still be a bit of air left in despite the fact that it was flat!!! Once I'd released the remaining air, I was able to proceed much more quickly. That's how you learn, right?! I was surprised to find a tiny thorn, which I could have picked up anytime when riding on country roads, considering how much debris I'd ridden over on the roads and paths. Riding on Marathons does make it quite rare but is also the reason for being out of practice. The other thing that took a while was pumping up the tyre with my little hand pump but eventually I got it hard enough to ride home the last 20 miles without any further problems and I'll use the track pump once I've washed the bike down. Of course the only person to stop and offer help arrived as I was cleaning my hands after packing up, job done. I jubilantly announced that I'd just finished!

Anderton in the winter
View media item 9430
I'll pose for you
View media item 9429

Port Salford Greenway
View media item 9438
Port Salford Greenway, pussy willow across the path
View media item 9437
High Legh, junction
View media item 9436
Great Budworth, no waiting
View media item 9435
Romantic house in Great Budworth
View media item 9433
Tree down in Comberbatch
View media item 9432
Handy trailer for the tube change
View media item 9431

Re your photo of the stocks at Great Budworth, have you noticed how many stocks there are in Cheshire villages?

From memory, High Legh, Mobberley, Lymm and Grappenhall have them. Altrincham has stocks and a whipping post and Nantwich a pillory. These are just the ones I've seen while riding by, I guess there'll be many more. I don't know whether Cheshire was unusually punitive or whether these features are common throughout the country.

Good luck for Sunday, I hope the weather is kinder than the weekend just gone!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
As a result of working a few extra night shifts I've dropped behind my 17 miles a day target in the last week of February, and found myself needing 14 miles either today or tomorrow. So before a night shift or after?
Opted for this morning, and out at 0830 so as to miss the forecast heavy rain. The roads were very wet with some rather impressive puddles, and it was windy too. One of my usual loops out to Walton Bridge and back, and dare I say it the sun tried to make an appearance at Walton. Nice bit of driving from the Acorn skip lorry back from Walton to Chertsey, no rush to get past and loads of room given when he did, so :okay::okay:.By the time I got back to Chertsey Bridge there were a few light flecks of rain, and just after the High Street the heavens opened. A quick stop in a bus stop to don the Endura FS260 waterproof (first time I've used it), and back out into the torrential rain for the last 4 miles home. A boat would have been a better form of transport, never mind dodging the puddles it was more a case of aiming for the shallowest part...
Home on 16 miles, so target achieved.
Endura jacket excellent, no water in, not sweaty so a good buy.

Katherine

Guru
Re your photo of the stocks at Great Budworth, have you noticed how many stocks there are in Cheshire villages?

From memory, High Legh, Mobberley, Lymm and Grappenhall have them. Altrincham has stocks and a whipping post and Nantwich a pillory. These are just the ones I've seen while riding by, I guess there'll be many more. I don't know whether Cheshire was unusually punitive or whether these features are common throughout the country.

Good luck for Sunday, I hope the weather is kinder than the weekend just gone!

I must admit that I hadn't thought about Cheshire villages having more stocks than others, but I can't think of any I've particularly noticed in other counties' villages, Lancashire for instance, so I see what you mean.

Thanks for your good luck wishes for next weekend. I'm a bit worried now because I strained my lower back yesterday, all I did was twist and bend down at the same time to pick something up off the floor! Now I can't really do anything that requires any kind of twisting or bending. I'm resting at home and I hope it setles soon.

Roadhump

I must admit that I hadn't thought about Cheshire villages having more stocks than others, but I can't think of any I've particularly noticed in other counties' villages, Lancashire for instance, so I see what you mean.

Thanks for your good luck wishes for next weekend. I'm a bit worried now because I strained my lower back yesterday, all I did was twist and bend down at the same time to pick something up off the floor! Now I can't really do anything that requires any kind of twisting or bending. I'm resting at home and I hope it setles soon.
Good luck with your back, they are such dodgy things at times and can easily go on you. I fell off my bike about 3 and a half years ago and hurt my back, it turned out I had trapped a nerve, it was agony. Eventually I paid a chiropractor about £200 for a few sessions of him pummelling my back which did the trick, although it might have just been time, but I'll never know. Hope yours is simpler.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I went out today for an hour's worth and did a little, looping, inter-crossing circuit east of Ipswich on Patsy #2 The CX. There were grey skies and the occasional spatter of rain, which may have contributed to less parked vehicles at a well-known lay-by frequented by, shall we say, frustrated individuals, than is normal. :whistle:
I had a short pause at Nacton church, where my paternal great-grandparents are buried. Tranquil as ever. (Excuse the quality - camera phone wobble.)

1.JPG

And as I returned home, a neighbour commented that he thought I'd lost some weight. I assured him that though that may be the appearance, I could still do with another stone of beer-belly being worked off. ^_^

Roadhump

Looked at the weather forecast this morning and saw predicted 40 mph gales this afternoon, which haven't arrived. The part where it said it would be dry until around 10 / 11 o'clock and then rain did happen and that was when I went out because it looked like the best opportunity to do so without getting soaked and blown away.......this afternoon looks like it would have been better now, oh well not to worry.

I went across the moss from Southport to Burscough on one of my favourite routes through the South West Lancs countryside. In Burscough I called in at Jack Parker's Cycles to buy one of those water bottle tool carriers and a bottle cage, which hopefully will enable me to carry my spare tubes, levers, multi-tool and a small flip over wallet for cash and cards, without loading my pockets. I would like to get my pump in but the one I have now is too big, but the bloke in the shop said there is a make called 'Blackburn' which is a good quality pump that will fit, so I might call back next week when they will have had a new delivery.

From Burscough Village I headed up School Lane and went past the Ship Inn which is situated in the lovely picturesque Wheat Lane next to Top Locks at the beginning of the Rufford branch of the Leeds-Liverpool canal

Top Locks 2.jpg

Top Locks.jpg

After going over the swing bridge at the other end of Wheat Lane I turned towards Parbold and then right towards Skelmersdale and Westhead, turning right into Dicks Lane to get into Westhead Village and then left up School Lane towards Edge Hill University in Ormskirk. Going down Ruff Lane behind Edge Hill
campus, then past the cricket club, I headed up towards Aughton and cut across the A59 and went over Clieves Hills, but today the hill was no test as I only had to descend it and my only concern was not to pick up too much speed which could be dangerous on the narrow country lane. Once down the hill, I headed through Shirdley Hill and back across the moss to get home.

It was a rather cool morning, about 5 degrees, but the activity soon warmed me up. It began raining when I left the cycle shop in Burscough, which was about 10 miles into the 27 mile ride, which according to my cycle computer took 2 hours, 1 minute and 1 second, an average speed of 13.4 mph. I did it on my older bike rather than the new one as I guessed the overnight rain would result in lots of slush and mud, which was correct - it was filthy when I got home, plus I have a rack and bag on the hybrid for my purchases. A thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours out on the bike. :bicycle:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
That was an eventful ride! For a start I had to leave later. Nights are getting shorter and I don't like riding as it gets dark so by the time I was changed and had fettled a rather rattle rich bike, it was around seven.

I set off on the usual route and something scuttled across the Brewood road in front of me. A stoat or some other nocturnal hunter? Most likely a rat! Also, who turned down the temperature? It felt most cold! My light picked up the results of Thursday's storm. Lots of dead wood and some living wood off a lot of trees.

Unfortunately, I came as close to being taken out by a car as I have been for a long time. My route involves crossing a motorway junction via a large roundabout. Junction 3 of the M54 in fact. Fairly quiet as far as motorway junctions go but I'm always aware of vehicles exiting the motorway and not looking or stopping for me at the top of the slip road. That's exactly what happened tonight. A dark coloured 5 series bmw I think. She would definitely have hit me amidships if I hadn't taken immediate evasive action. As it was I got away with a wobble, a close up look at her car's metallic paint and a shocked wave of her hand as she finally saw me. Maybe 1200 lumens aren't enough? I wasn't running the full 1200 as I don't want to dazzle but it did make me think, (once my heart rate had come down slightly), do modern front lights offer enough side visibility?

The rest of the ride was better. I rode through what sounded like a thousand pheasants all having a huge argument in the fields either side of me and behold! A badger, trotting down the road in front of me.

Finally to say some of the lanes were flooded would be an understatement. I have fished in smaller ponds!

22 miles and thankfully back in one piece.

Top Bottom