Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Today's ride was my first organised Cyclechat ride for 2017 .This one was Leicester based destination Wymondham Windmill and also my metric century challenge ride for Feb .Meeting time was 0900 so out the door at 0800 for a few miles to get the 100 km in . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley ,Quorn ,Mountsorrel and Cossington with 13 miles done so 100km could be done without adding miles at the end . Short wait and @tallliman arrived soon followed by @Supersuperleeds who had only done 49 miles before we set off. Only 3 of us today so after a quick chat were on are way straight on to the climb up humble lane and onto Ratcliffe on the Wreake where we were joined by a fellow rider from Quorn who was heading our way so the peleton was up to 4 . Up the Wreake valley Thrussington ,Hoby ,Asfordby and onto the biggest climb of the day Saxileby hill ( modesty prevents me from saying who was first up :becool:) @Supersuperleeds made the first break but had to slow for some horses he said :whistle: on up the single track road to Wartnaby where our extra rider turned left and we went right some more single lanes around the back of Scalford and then Waltham on the Wolds on to some proper rolling terrain past the TV mast and out to Garthorpe and on to the cafe stop at Wymondham Windmill even at 1030 it was full of cyclists . My big sister had driven out and met us there so a coffee and sausage cob consumed chatting away
IMG_20170226_111518727_HDR.jpg

Left to right @Supersuperleeds ,@13 rider,@tallliman . If you look closely at the bike at the side of @tallliman you can just see the famous packing tape repair to @Supersuperleeds mudguard.
Leaving the cafe you could feel the wind had picked up could be struggle home . On towards Little Dalby we came out to an exposed area and the wind was brutal crosswind or headwind making it hard work on the rolling terrain . Little Dalby ,Great Dalby and the long drag into the headwind to Ashby Foeville and then turned to Gaddesby and some relief from the wind . Back to Thrussington ,Ratcliffe and back to the starting point at Cossington. Here we all went our separate ways I suffered more headwind all the way through Rothley ,Cropston and home 65.4 miles in the bag . Nice ride in great company ,another nice coffee stop found just made hard work by the wind . I've cancelled the wind for next CC ride I used my wind quota for the year

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A nice easy ride with the guys this morning, ending at the the pub for a beer or two.:laugh: A no pressure ride my other half was struggling a bit after our time in Spain but she finished the ride on a high, She got a few PRs on Strava that cheered her up a bit, Must say this has been one of the best weeks ever on the bike, Total mileage for this week is 248 miles. And still feeling good. Did a fair bit of climbing as well. 20,036 ft
https://www.strava.com/activities/880512453

Grim one today. Torrential rain and strong wind. I had hoped to ride 100 miles from Glasgow to Dundee because of a challenge set in a very silly forum thread on here, but managed 15 before my three layers were soaked clear through. After I lost my sense of direction and got turned round near Lenzie, I made the decision to scratch the ride and faced a struggle into the increasingly brisk wind all the way back, along some roads which were starting to flood.
Grand total of 33 miles, no photos. New cycling cap worked very well, new overshoes, not so much, gloves worthless in the face of such weather. :cold::rain::surrender:

It's not looking good for the challenge, but I'm not out yet...

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Grim one today. Torrential rain and strong wind. I had hoped to ride 100 miles from Glasgow to Dundee because of a challenge set in a very silly forum thread on here, but managed 15 before my three layers were soaked clear through. After I lost my sense of direction and got turned round near Lenzie, I made the decision to scratch the ride and faced a struggle into the increasingly brisk wind all the way back, along some roads which were starting to flood.
Grand total of 33 miles, no photos. New cycling cap worked very well, new overshoes, not so much, gloves worthless in the face of such weather. :cold::rain::surrender:

It's not looking good for the challenge, but I'm not out yet...
The like was for attempting the imperial. Fingers crossed you get it done.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Another ride today in the battle to regain fitness

Went through Chertsey, along Stonehill Road to Chobham, then up the hiill at the end of Red Road, taking the Hawley Road to Yateley, where we used to live, through Sandhurst and Crowthorne, skirting Bracknell along New Forest Road (I always forget how hilly it is), then home via Ascot and Egham Hill

It was almost drizzling when I started but did not amount to anything.
Overall a hillier route than I remembered, and the wind was really picking up and gusting.

44 miles done with 1568 feet climbed, so with the wind average speed of 15.5 mph was OK, hoping for faster , but at this stage it is OK

https://www.strava.com/activities/880352249
Even some PRs though I suspect they were tailwind assisted

Nice to see you back out on the road:okay: That looks like a half decent route, which I may pick bits from. Not sure about the A329 bit on the way back, but then there's always New Mile Road and through the park.

A day late to report but I finally got the 100k/strava fondo ride in.

Out on the club run but before that I had a quick nip in to the city for a fresh sourdough loaf during which I spotted a group of cyclists decked out in Rapha kit outside Cafe Nero,dunno who they were(Dave 123 of this parish spotted them too).

Anyway,once I'd dropped the bread at home it was off to Witchford for the meet up;got there to catch the mods leaving so off it was to St Ives via Haddenham,Earith and Somersham battling a strong wind:bicycle:.

Change of cafe stop as the River Tea Rooms is shut at the mo so we called in at Tom's Cakes gaff;was a bit busy(not helped by a bunch of cyclists turning up:laugh:)but a couple of tables were found upsatirs and a nice espresso and polenta Bakewell slice was consumed:cuppa:.

Out again and a decision was made to avoid the busway after storm Doris(it has a lot of debris at the best of times) so we went through Longstanton and Oakington before picking up a tailwind from Cottenham up the Twenty Pence.

Once there I made the decision to turn left back to Haddenham and do a Witcham/Coveney/Little Downham loop to finish the 100k,was definately hard work at times and the legs were showing the lack of regular riding over the last month but the 100 was done and back home for some much needed recovery beans on toast:hungry: and a protein hot chocolate:cuppa:.

Strada stats(bit too much red for my liking on the suffer score:heat:);

https://www.strava.com/activities/879139743

And a pic in Coveney;

IMG_20170225_123047833_HDR.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Quite a nice morning when I left work at 7, so an extended commute home clocking up 14 miles instead of the more direct route of 7.5. All very nice and quiet. Bit of kip, then out after lunch on utility ride with my lad to Halfords and the High Street. Went alongside the Thames from Staines to the Runnymede Hotel where we found some nice deck chairs, little bit big for us though
26 Feb Chair 1.jpg

Home in light rain with just under 6 miles covered.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Today was the first @13 rider forum ride of the year. Meeting time was 9am in Cossington and his planned route was 44 miles. So me being me I decided to get a few miles in before the meet and try and get 100 miles in for the ride. Got up at 5am and it was wet but little wind and the rain had stopped.

Cup of tea and a couple of slices of toast and I decide to use the commuter bike, which is not in the best condition at the minute but it does have fully functioning, perfectly fitted mudguards :whistle:

Out of the door at 05:50, I had a 43 mile route in mind so I could go at 14mph average and I'd be at the meeting point in time. As it turned out I averaged just over 16mph so added a few extra miles. Got to the meet on time having done 49 miles and both @13 rider and @tallliman are sat on the bench waiting.

We had a cracking 20plus mile ride to the cafe stop, even if it was a bit up and down :dry:.

Cafe stop was at Wymondham Windmill and it was very nice (met @13 rider sister). Latte and a sausage baguette was purchased and quickly consumed. Outside posed for photos and signed a few autographs (okay maybe not the autographs) and then the hard work started.

Whilst in the cafe the wind had really picked up and it was a very hard 20 miles back to Cossington. Luckily for all of us we had enough distance left to our respective homes to hit our ride targets, so a quick handshake and we all split up. I headed through Watermead Park, Abbey Park and Bede Park which were all very busy so my average speed took a right hammering, I ran out of drink despite having two 750ml bottles with me and combined with the wind the last few miles were really draining.

Despite @13 rider comment on Saxleby Hill, I got a PB up it and yes I did use the horses as an excuse :laugh:

Just over 107 miles and my 58th imperial century bagged and my Eddington number up another one to 95. @tallliman my 2017 YTD Eddington is 40 (surprised me that, thought it was low 30's)

Thanks to you both, I was struggling on parts today and the company made it a lot easier.

https://www.strava.com/activities/880536709

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Disclaimer: I must confess that, as I write this, I am enjoying the results of spending the afternoon drinking at The Fat Cat in Ipswich. :cheers:
I had intended to go out for a far longer ride today, but last night's 'beer-enjoyment' put the dampers on that, so I settled for an excursion out into the country as I headed for the pub.
Interestingly, I meet a couple on a tandem - and whom I subsequently followed for a short while - who resolutely refused to acknowledge my existence, to the point that neither of them gave any indication of where they intended to go next at a junction. :whistle:
Still, I spotted at few birds that I will have to confirm with reference books, and I I paused to take this shot over The Fynn Valley.

1.JPG

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterday afternoon at the Bradford Beer Festival, I thought I'd better get a ride in today...the weather guesscast was for breeziness all day, with heavy rain from lunchtime, so it was out this morning.

Up onto Coal Road, where a group from Seacroft Wheelers were just in front of me. They also turned up Red Hall Lane, which is where I was heading
It was definitely breezy along here, breezy right in my face. Anyway, got to the A58 just as the peleton was pulling out, and followed at the next gap in traffic. A special mention too to the nice chap in the Kia faux by four who despite turning left, moved right over to the white line as I was filtering past him to turn right and then sat at the junction for as long as possible:dry:
Quick spin down past the pub and onto Whin Moor Lane for the turny stuff to Shadwell, where the peleton turned left (heading to Otley?) but I turned right down the hill through the village with the wind at my back. Up and across the A58 and then Carr Lane towards Thorner. A special mention too to the nice lady in the white pick up who pulled out of a driveway in front of me and making me scrub off all my speed on the descent into the village :dry:
Through the village and the inevitable climb back out, up Milner Lane today and onto the ridge for a wind assisted blast along to Thorner Lane then Thorner Road and on to Bramham where I turned right down the hill, pedalling into the breeze as I descended and then climbed up the other side towards the traffic lights. A special mention too to the muppet on the 'M' reg moped who decided to pass within a foot of my elbow :dry:
Stopped at the top for some Haribo and a few pics:
IMG_20170226_102850973.jpg
IMG_20170226_103000687.jpg

Yep, the bike is filthy, again.:rolleyes:

Back in the saddle and with a swirling, buffeting head / side wind I took the shared use path that runs parallel to Paradise Way pretty much all the way down to the Bramham Crossroads. To be fair, although I'd been very much aware of the wind so far, it hadn't been too bad up to this point, but after navigating the crossroads and heading for Aberford down Main Street it was right in my chops and no fun at all.
This is a generally downhill section that on a normal day you can maintain a speed of high twenties mph fairly easily on. Not today, I was putting the effort in and getting high teens instead and was glad to get the shelter of the village as I dropped down the hill.
Right onto Cattle Lane after crossing the bridge for the familiar lumpiness to Barwick, which was thankfully sheltered from most of the wind. Sadly not so the steady climb from Barwick to Scholes which was hard work again, as was pedalling down the hill from Scholes.
Local roads up to home, with a final loop around the block to push the mileage on.

20.15 miles (32.42 km) in a steady 1h 32m at an average of 13.1mph with 1,227ft climbed (needless to say, the average speed was much more impressive over the wind assisted outward half of todays route:whistle: )

Good to be out there and a few close passes apart, the rest of the drivers were playing the game today. Loads of cyclists out too. Oh, and the biblical rain that was forecast for lunchtime? Well that still hasn't arrived, although it is even windier now than it was when I was out.

And finally a map, from Map My Ride for a change as Garmin Connect isn't playing ball today...
26022017.JPG

Last edited:
Very little to add to the ride reports of @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds apart from the fact it was a lovely day out despite the wind.

Notched up a metric ton and took my Eddington number for the year to a paltry 18 compared to @Supersuperleeds' 40! Pretty impressive.

Not sure I'd have been as quick today without the company. That wind may have seen me stop for a while rather than pushing on. The feeling of getting to Ashby Folville and finally turning out of it was wonderful.

colly

Re member eR
Really, today I was like....Meh do I want to go out ? Do I ?
I had done a couple of chores, had breakfast, read the paper. (OK some of it) I mopped a floor. Mooched about. Time ticked on.............A minute passed, another minute passed, followed by another minute which passed slowly by.. It took about a minute. I was yawning. Listless. Could I be 4rsed ?
Just after midday and I felt wrecked. It wasn't a late night nor was it booze. Looked out at the garden, branches and bushes being shaken about by the wind.
Thought. If I sod around here all afternoon it will get to about 3 or 4pm and I'll be whining .........awww why didn't I go out earlier??
I took a firm and positive executive decision. OUT.
Got changed and got out. Quick before I changed my mind.

It was cool and humid, and once I was on my way I felt better, and looked forward to the rest of the ride despite the wind. So it was Moortown, Harrogate Road all the way to Harewood House, down Harewood Bank and across The Wharfe. I hung a left and wound my way through two small out of the way villages. Dunkeswick and Weeton. They are not really on the way to anywhere and as a result they pretty much only get local traffic.
Up Weeton Hill Lane and back down into Castley, another tucked away place. Across the river again Into Pool-in Wharfedale and I took the Arthington road.
Which ever way I go from there it has to be uphill. Well if I want to get back home again it does anyway. I decided Creskeld Lane was the route to take. It's a winding climb with at least one 10% section but it's heavily enclosed by trees, and what do trees mean? Shelter from the now headwind is what. It was a grind but once up I joined Otley Road back towards Leeds turned and went up passed the Mone Bros Quarry and made for home past Golden Acre Park and Alwoodley.

25miles and 1500ft of uphill can not only lift the spirits but leave you energised and more awake than when you started. So glad I made the effort.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/13138309

Last edited:
Top Bottom