Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I've realised that over the last couple of months I've let my normal cycling routine slip (short, fast rides during the week for cardio-vascular exercise, and longer, slower rides at the weekend for state of mind) and decided to rectify that today with a modified version of the route I did yesterday.
Only at a higher speed - for me, anyway. :smile:
What gave this ride extra interest was that for part of it I went the reverse route to the direction I normally go. And isn't it fascinating how doing that opens up sights you miss going the other way? I saw lots of daffodils - which I didn't notice yesterday - but was so in the groove I didn't pause to take any pics.
So I give you this: The first daff in my garden and spotted as I approached my front door.

1.JPG

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A rather entertaining, as it turned out, utility ride for me today. Off to the High Street for eggs, milk and flour, not quite sure what these are needed for but apparently involves lemons too:hungry:
Suitably weighed down with 8 pints of milk, a kilo of flour, a kilo of apricots, eggs, wrapping paper and the D lock, I headed to the Post Office depot to collect my new tyre which RM were unable to deliver yesterday. Upon arrival I found the site fenced off, how strange. A quick look at the 'We have something for you' card revealed they've moved. So, backtracked to Staines, then on to Thorpe Trading Estate where they now reside. Card duly handed over, and HUGE box given in exchange. Really Wiggle, that is serious over-packaging for a single tyre. I removed tyre from box, and enquired as to whether PO would dispose of box, but apparently not according to nice lady. OK, not a problem, will take home. Quite windy it was, and an entertaining ride home with heavy panniers, tyre over shoulder one-handed with box in hand. Thankfully only a mile to home.
Just under 8 miles, and kept me on track for my 17 miles a day challenge.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
On the forum ride on Sunday @tallliman was talking about railways and parts of the old railway system that still survive around Leicester and in particular an embankment that I thought was on my commute. So this morning I decided to take a leisurely ride into work and take a few snaps of things that may or may not be railway related.

This is on Holt Lane near Ashby Magna:

WP_20170228_07_14_33_Pro.jpg
WP_20170228_07_14_36_Pro.jpg

This is the embankment that @tallliman was talking about (I may be wrong as there is another road he might have meant)
WP_20170228_07_34_15_Pro.jpg
WP_20170228_07_34_21_Pro.jpg

and just around the corner this still survives:
WP_20170228_07_39_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20170228_07_39_34_Pro.jpg

This is definitely railway related as it is the Great Central Way shared path into Leicester:
WP_20170228_07_56_28_Pro.jpg

after this photo my battery died on my phone, so the photos below were taken tonight. This is in the city centre:
WP_20170228_17_23_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20170228_17_23_33_Pro.jpg

26 mile ride to work but only 8 miles home as it chucked it down :rain:

pawl

Legendary Member
On the forum ride on Sunday @tallliman was talking about railways and parts of the old railway system that still survive around Leicester and in particular an embankment that I thought was on my commute. So this morning I decided to take a leisurely ride into work and take a few snaps of things that may or may not be railway related.

This is on Holt Lane near Ashby Magna:

View attachment 340159 View attachment 340160

This is the embankment that @tallliman was talking about (I may be wrong as there is another road he might have meant)
View attachment 340161 View attachment 340162

and just around the corner this still survives:
View attachment 340163
View attachment 340164

This is definitely railway related as it is the Great Central Way shared path into Leicester:
View attachment 340165

after this photo my battery died on my phone, so the photos below were taken tonight. This is in the city centre:
View attachment 340166
View attachment 340167

26 mile ride to work but only 8 miles home as it chucked it down :rain:

If memory serves me correctly the Great Central Way continued into Leicester.
Unfortunately the link into Leicester was broken when the City Council decided to demolish thebBow bridge.A piece of historic railway history destroyed

@Supersuperleeds; thanks for that, I'll check where you went when strava wants to work again.

You need to continue to North of where the bowstring bridge was, Braunstone gate and onto Leicester Central station, just north of the Jewry Wall on Great Central Street. Amazing how much is left.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
@Supersuperleeds; thanks for that, I'll check where you went when strava wants to work again.

You need to continue to North of where the bowstring bridge was, Braunstone gate and onto Leicester Central station, just north of the Jewry Wall on Great Central Street. Amazing how much is left.

I was going to take a photo at Braunstone Gate tonight but it was chucking it down. I'll try again tomorrow.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Some more commuting miles. The intention today was for Doug to join me on the extended route in to work so that he could get his February 50km challenge ride in. Unfortunately though he overslept so I had to go without him.

It was quite pleasant out but there had been a frost after overnight rain/sleet which was a slight concern however the ice had melted off the ungritted roads by the time I got to them. The wind was a light southwesterly which didn't hinder too much as I headed southwards to Acton Burnell then helped nicely on the way to Cressage. I made good time, covering the 18 miles at 14.4 mph which is pretty respectable on the knockabout bike.

After a slow day at work rain rolled in just in time for the ride home. I kitted myself out in waterproofs and headed out into a strong and blustery headwind (the Met Office says the windspeed was 11mph while riding home but to me it felt more like 20+ and was a real low-gear struggle on the bits directly into the wind.:dry:)

Slightly annoyed by a guy in a BMW coming out of a side road who looked me in the eye then pulled out in front of me anyway.

The rain got heavier in the last few miles so I arrived home looking like a drowned rat but I was at least warm & comfortable despite how it looked. (My waterproof trousers have leaked but kept the warmth in. My coat fared better though).

30.1 miles for the day at 13 mph average and the ride home took me just over 1000 miles for the year to date.:hyper:

DSC0004338.jpg

A snapshot grabbed on the way to Wroxeter. There is a covering of snow on the South Shropshire hills.

I was going to take a photo at Braunstone Gate tonight but it was chucking it down. I'll try again tomorrow.

Cool cool, where is that triple arch bridge?

Old jon

Guru
Calm morning out there, frost visibly vanishing from parked cars as I watched. It would be foolish to miss this chance of a ride out. The bike with the gears today, I have yet to discover a method of choosing which bike to ride so turn and turn about it is. All those folk with three or more bikes, however do they manage? Deep cogitation along with breakfast, I suppose. Not my bacon butty.

Having made a vague decision to head towards Otley, the ride meanders through the bit of Holbeck that leads to Office Lock and the towpath to Viaduct Road. Up Cardigan Road, thank you gears, and on, and on, and on. It’s a long drag to Lawnswood and the Ring Road. Then I turned left onto Otley Old Road for a bit more trying to beat gravity, all the way to the Cookridge water tower. Bit of a drop past the rugby club, that quicker than it looks right hand bend and then I turned left. Miss Bramhope ( not the beauty contest ) and turn left for the back of the airport. I had still no route in mind, when I reached the A 658 I could have easily turned right, the thought did occur to me, but I chose to go straight on for the joys of missing the potholes while whizzing down the Old Chevin, or whatever name it goes by now.

Once in Otley, well, too chilly to stop, turn right and up the Leeds Road, warmth returns to the fingertips. I was passed by one rider, he was well quick. I was pondering a change to the usual homebound trip from Otley, maybe adding a few more uphills to it. Madness, I know, that’s what bike rides are for. Yes? So, past the Puritan Chapel, all the rest of the way through Bramhope and bravely turn left at the final roundabout towards Arthington Road, followed by King Lane.

It is a long time since I have travelled along there. The roads have been redesigned into a passable imitation of a Mobius strip, it is fiddling impossible to find the other side. Offspring of unmarried parents! And then I realised. Travelling this way into Leeds, in the approximate direction of home, means the whole Sheepscar mess has to be ridden through. Never done that before, last time I cycled, Sheepscar was a single scruffy street, would not be surprised if it had tram tracks then. As you can tell, I survived the experience and wandered gently off around Crown Point and directions home. A mere twenty five and a quarter miles, but an impressive, for me, 456 metres ( 1500 feet ) of ascent. That pleased me, that and the fact that the rain started about twenty minutes after I reached home. A good morning.

And a slightly different map

01032017.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I met June P at Tunnel Hill and we headed off south for the Hams. It was nice to have a pleasant chat with June as usually there have been others so a one to one was different. Our route was fairly traditional but we turned northward for Blackwells End before a westward tack for Newent.

Ralph R was waiting for us at the cafe so refreshments for three was the order. We spent a lot of time chattering so a second cup of coffee was ordered. Eventually it was time to go so Ralph suggested a loop around through the ford and a ride through the woods to see how the wild daffs were coming along. A few brave ones were out but most are still biding their time. On by Dymock and Ryton lead us onto the straightforward route around the southern flanks of the Hills for the run through the Castlemorton lanes. Ralph and June headed for Upton while I took my usual route by Hanley Swan for home.

I reckon that it wasn't just my legs which got some exercise today. 56 smiles and a dictionary worth of words

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
What a difference a day makes! I did exactly the same 12 mile ride as I did yesterday, but the muppets were out in force, today.
I encountered a school run at Nacton, where one busy mum drove straight at me, without slowing down, as I negotiated a line of parked cars and equally oblivious parents shoveling children into cars without waiting for me to pass before opening doors, and exclaimed my disapproval, somewhat. I have recently decided to learn some antiquated swear words, just for the acorn of it, but instincts took over and I called the driver a sprat (pronounced with a silent 's'). Considering what I have been calling some drivers in the last few months, this is an improvement. :whistle:
And yet, a couple of miles further on ... I can't think of many things more off-putting than this: in a cycle lane and having a vehicle begin to overtake, only to notice that they've put their left-hand indicator on. My yell to ensure the driver had noticed me as they began to turn into me garnered a beep from their horn and, in return, they received an American Gesture.
Still, as always, great to be out and about on a bike, forcing air into the lungs.
(Oh, I experimented with less attire - including no sleeves - and decided that it was on the cusp of being something stupid to try. 58 and still learning, hey. Will we ever grow wish?)
Once again, a bit too occupied to pause and take photos - I will endeavour to rectify that failing this weekend on a slower run.

Last edited:
Top Bottom